IGNORED

Mass shootings and gun violence are happening way too often

fraurosena

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just can't anymore. I'd imagine the GOP Congressional Shitshop of Thoughts and Prayers is about out tonight. Let's talk about who really has blood on their hands, you fucking murderers.

I hope I'm not being too...er, vocal...for one of my first posts here, but man, fuck.

The NRA and GOP are complete and utter jackasses who take no issue with the continuous bloodshed and violence at the hands of the lethal weapons they endorse. It'll never fucking end, not when you can meander into a Walmart in some states, buy a gun, and kill dozens of folks. But no, we don't have a gun problem!!!! It's PEOPLE!!!! Guns don't kill people, people kill people!!!!

Douchechickens.

Yet another massive school shooting today. 17 people dead so far. Nothing will change. NOTHING. I don't understand why the NRA even wants all this. Is it all about making money from gun sales, their hard-ons for their stockpiles of assault weapons, or something I'm missing?

11 minutes ago, CrazyLurkerLady said:

Yet another massive school shooting today. 17 people dead so far. Nothing will change. NOTHING. I don't understand why the NRA even wants all this. Is it all about making money from gun sales, their hard-ons for their stockpiles of assault weapons, or something I'm missing?

Not only this, but more will say that we need to arm the teachers. More gun sales+ they can be even bigger villains than they already are, if they're trying to take out a shooter and hurt a kid instead.

Yes, I become more cynical every day.

"Has your member of Congress received campaign support from the NRA?"

This is a site from MoveOn where they list how much money the NRA has given members of congress by state. There are petitions for many members of congress to return the money, though I doubt that will ever happen.

32 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

Not only this, but more will say that we need to arm the teachers. More gun sales+ they can be even bigger villains than they already are, if they're trying to take out a shooter and hurt a kid instead.

Yes, I become more cynical every day.

As someone who's pursuing a career as a teacher, THIS GREATLY BOTHERS ME. I do not want my colleagues bringing guns to school.

17 minutes ago, new espadrille said:

As someone who's pursuing a career as a teacher, THIS GREATLY BOTHERS ME. I do not want my colleagues bringing guns to school.

I am student teaching right now. I couldn't imagine shooting a current or former student, especially if it is someone I was trying to reach. I could see a teacher with a gun trying to reach the student one last time. This could lead to a dead teacher and an additional loaded gun for the shooter.

It's bee

2 hours ago, new espadrille said:

It's been legal in Florida since 2014 for teachers to be armed while they are in the classroom. It's safe to assume that some of them are carrying. 

2 hours ago, Ali said:

I am student teaching right now. I couldn't imagine shooting a current or former student, especially if it is someone I was trying to reach. I could see a teacher with a gun trying to reach the student one last time. This could lead to a dead teacher and an additional loaded gun for the shooter.

I'm going into teaching elementary (specifically, lower elementary), so I'm not all that concerned about a student bringing in a gun with the intention to shoot up the school. However, I am concerned about lunatics breaking in and shooting up the school. :( 

9 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

It's bee

It's been legal in Florida since 2014 for teachers to be armed while they are in the classroom. It's safe to assume that some of them are carrying. 

I'm basically as far away from Florida as you can get while staying in the US. Unfortunately, it's legal in other states too. I believe Colorado, Texas, and Pennsylvania? I may be wrong with some of that info. Either way, it really distresses me that that would even be CONSIDERED.

And yet again, we hear Congress and the Jackass send their "thoughts and prayers" to those families yada yada yada. . . Don't get me wrong, I believe in prayer, but when you're in Congress and you COULD actually DO something and you just blather these empty words while stuffing your pockets with NRA and other gun lobbyist money, you're nothing bit a f'ing hypocrite and you can STFU with your "thoughts and prayers." Nobody wants to hear them anyway!  And the answer is NOT MORE guns!

It's like I tell my kids - prayer isn't magic and doesnt substitute for your own efforts - you can't skip class, not study, don't turn in assignments and just pray to God that you will ace that exam and the class! God doesn't work that way! He expects YOU to use the tools and talents you have been given!

And ONE DAY those in Congress & the WH will answer for this, because they have blood on their hands.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.  

11 minutes ago, new espadrille said:

I'm basically as far away from Florida as you can get while staying in the US. Unfortunately, it's legal in other states too. I believe Colorado, Texas, and Pennsylvania? I may be wrong with some of that info. Either way, it really distresses me that that would even be CONSIDERED.

Not just considered. In some states they are trying to MANDATE that teachers and other staff carry. But, meanwhile here are the 18 states that allow adults to carry loaded weapons onto school grounds with few or minor conditions:

Alabama (which bans possessing a weapon on school grounds only if the carrier has "intent to do bodily harm")

California (with approval of the superintendent)

Connecticut (with approval of "school officials")

Hawaii (no specific law)

Idaho (with school trustees' approval)

Iowa (with "authorization")

Kentucky (with school board approval)

Massachusetts (with approval of the school board or principal)

Mississippi (with school board approval)

Montana (with school trustees' permission)

New Hampshire (ban applies only to pupils, not adults)

New Jersey (with approval from the school's "governing officer")

New York (with the school's approval)

Oregon (with school board approval)

Rhode Island (with a state concealed weapons permit)

Texas (with the school's permission)

Utah (with approval of the "responsible school administrator")

Wyoming (as long as it's not concealed)

Source: http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/14/16468754-guns-already-allowed-in-schools-with-little-restriction-in-many-states

I can’t help thinking about the song attached to The Apprentice. Money, money, money, monay...’.  It is, and has always been, about the NRA. They have so much blood on their cold, dead hands. 

And, for the record, I don’t believe in prayer. But, if the victims’ loved ones do then that will bring them much comfort. But they will still be burying their children. Again. 

What is the answer?  I don’t know. Severe restrictions on ammunitions might be a good start. 

59 minutes ago, AuntK said:

It's like I tell my kids - prayer isn't magic and doesnt substitute for your own efforts - you can't skip class, not study, don't turn in assignments and just pray to God that you will ace that exam and the class! God doesn't work that way! He expects YOU to use the tools and talents you have been given!

I'm honestly going to print this quote and put it up in my room cause YESS!!! I'm so exhausted and it's just so hard but I keep telling myself that it isn't normal. I saw videos from kids that recorded it and was in shock and even though I just hope that they open their eyes and stop taking NRA money I know ever since Sandyhook that they won't ever care. 

It's never going to end.

One problem I have with arming teachers is that it fundamentally changes the relationship between student and teacher to a threat assessment-based (i.e. is this student a threat?) one. I don't think that is helpful at all.

1 hour ago, AuntK said:

And yet again, we hear Congress and the Jackass send their "thoughts and prayers" to those families yada yada yada. . . Don't get me wrong, I believe in prayer, but when you're in Congress and you COULD actually DO something and you just blather these empty words while stuffing your pockets with NRA and other gun lobbyist money, you're nothing bit a f'ing hypocrite and you can STFU with your "thoughts and prayers." Nobody wants to hear them anyway!  And the answer is NOT MORE guns!

And ONE DAY those in Congress & the WH will answer for this, because they have blood on their hands.  Hopefully sooner rather than later.  

I LOVE THIS. I swear, this is one of the best posts I've read about the issue.

As for me, I'm not religious, wasn't brought up to be and saw no reason to seek one out. But I still do my own praying, not necessarily to God, but to any general higher power. I consider myself spiritual.

Sorry for the side-tracking. I agree with your post so much. MORE GUNS WILL NOT SOLVE THE ISSUE.

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

Not just considered. In some states they are trying to MANDATE that teachers and other staff carry. But, meanwhile here are the 18 states that allow adults to carry loaded weapons onto school grounds with few or minor conditions:

Alabama (which bans possessing a weapon on school grounds only if the carrier has "intent to do bodily harm")

California (with approval of the superintendent)

Connecticut (with approval of "school officials")

Hawaii (no specific law)

Idaho (with school trustees' approval)

Iowa (with "authorization")

Kentucky (with school board approval)

Massachusetts (with approval of the school board or principal)

Mississippi (with school board approval)

Montana (with school trustees' permission)

New Hampshire (ban applies only to pupils, not adults)

New Jersey (with approval from the school's "governing officer")

New York (with the school's approval)

Oregon (with school board approval)

Rhode Island (with a state concealed weapons permit)

Texas (with the school's permission)

Utah (with approval of the "responsible school administrator")

Wyoming (as long as it's not concealed)

Source: http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/14/16468754-guns-already-allowed-in-schools-with-little-restriction-in-many-states

Thank you for this list. I don't live in any of those states (hallelujah), but I'm still constantly paranoid that future colleagues will carry guns around the kids. No guns on school grounds, please. Quick-to-anger people become teachers, and that combined with guns will end up killing some kid(s).

I need to do more research on carrying in schools. Seriously, I'm going to teach K-3, I don't need a motherfucking firearm. (Not that ANY TEACHER needs one, because they don't).

I praise anyone who stands up and confronts the Senate with the hard truth. 

But I have my reservations. It's easy to say these things when you're the minority and can't push through the necessary legislation. However, if come November the Dems get the majority and still don't do (enough) to bring a halt the the NRA's power and to minimize the possibility of these atrocities ever occurring, then this will have turned out to be just hypocritical talk. I really, really hope that it isn't. 

Aunt Crabby has an overview of NRA donations to Reps on the Hill.

America has something far, far worse than the opioid epidemic that everyone is now so focussed on: mass shootings. As of February 14, and including this one in Florida, a total of 30 (thirty) mass shootings have occurred in the US in 2018. More than half of them, 18 (eighteen) were school shootings.

That means that every 1,5 days a mass shooting has happened. It is almost an every day occurrence in the US. 

Why aren't you out on the streets about this? Why aren't there protests and sit ins and angry letters and emails? Your children, your children, are being killed on a daily basis, and no protest? I don't get it. If so many of you can take to the streets for the Women's Marches (which I applaud), why can't you do the same for your children?

Here's the heart of the problem, illustrated by your dear presidunce: nobody cares about the victims.

2 hours ago, fraurosena said:

Here's the heart of the problem, illustrated by your dear presidunce: nobody cares about the victims.

Well, somebody put out a statement, it wasn't him because it came pretty fast and it was literate. But he's still struggling with the Porter shit. You know he doesn't care about other people so he'll have to be dragged to a microphone if he does say anything.

You are right, @fraurosena, we should be fighting this but it is a struggle to breathe in this country right now, literally, sometimes, so you get weary. I'll be honest, I'd be afraid to go to a march against guns right now because some moron Trump supporters would show up and shoot people. His supporters are dangerous people.

As for the STUPID idea of guns in schools, it's more gun pushing. How is a teacher suppose to determine who is the shooter without exposing him or herself to the shooter? And the teacher must essentially be SWAT-trained so as not to shoot anyone who is an innocent bystander. Our legislators don't want teachers to have guns because they know it would end up being a legal shit storm. But they won't shut down the conversation because they are paid to sell guns.

If you doubt this is about protecting the gun-sellers, tell me why we aren't talking about building schools to be more secure? Nobody asks that questions, they just scream about arming everyone else.

@fraurosena -- You know I love Aunt Crabby, but I think her NRA donation numbers are low. I'm wondering if they are just for the last year. According to MoveOn, Rubio has taken over three MILLION dollars and Ron Johnson over a million.

Let me see, what shall the doped up, lisping presidunce be reading from his teleprompter?

1. thoughts and prayers

2. to early to talk about gun prevention

3. DACA, illegals, deportation, immigration legislation, stupid dems need to do something (the shooter's name is Cruz!)

4. this was a 'mentally ill' person, people should be more vigilant and report

5. thoughts and prayers again

3 minutes ago, fraurosena said:

Let me see, what shall the doped up, lisping presidunce be reading from his teleprompter?

1. thoughts and prayers

2. to early to talk about gun prevention

3. DACA, illegals, deportation, immigration legislation, stupid dems need to do something (the shooter's name is Cruz!)

4. this was a 'mentally ill' person, people should be more vigilant and report

5. thoughts and prayers again

He's already tweeted and pretty much went with #4, including a vague insinuation that perhaps the students at the school should have been more proactive. If I watch this I will end up in jail.

31 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

@fraurosena -- You know I love Aunt Crabby, but I think her NRA donation numbers are low. I'm wondering if they are just for the last year. According to MoveOn, Rubio has taken over three MILLION dollars and Ron Johnson over a million.

I am wondering about this and also think Crabby's numbers might be from the last campaign through now. MoveOn's Numbers are possibly a total for their entire period of campaigning and in Congress.

But that is stunning to me because Tillis and Burr have a total of over 11 million. Tillis is only on his second term(?) and Burr third? This is nowhere close, as far as time in Congress, to some others, such as McCain, who has pulled in quite a bit too.

I've lived there and know how crazy politics is there but WOW! A prized jewel of a state for the NRA.

This is nothing more than pointless symbolism, only done because the media called out the presidunce's lack of empathy. 

Whelp, Pam Bondi says that other states don't work together in times like this but Florida does!

And the sheriff of Broward County is using this as an opportunity to bitch about money for more law enforcement. Also why don't we do more about crazy people? Why wasn't he locked up? Maybe he needs to turn around and ask Pam about that.

These people aren't really ready for the camera.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived