• Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal
Sign in to follow this  
molecule

Who's doing NaNoWriMo this year?

browncoatslytherin

i finally hit 50k! i'm actually a bit surprised i managed to pull off both the 50k words AND my goal of finishing one of my wip fics so early! i'll keep writing this month, but i'm not going to be doing so as obsessively as i have been doing.

singsingsing

How's everyone doing? I'm shocked and thrilled that I'm actually caught up this year (well, okay, I have to write a couple hundred words to be caught up today, but I've been keeping pace). I've lost the past four years in a row, and the past year and a half has been a nightmare in so many ways, so I'm just over the moon about this! Writing is something I've always done. I can't remember a time I didn't write. So when I'm not writing, it's like an outward symptom that there's something really wrong in my life. The fact that I'm sitting at 33,000 words of this ridiculous, awful, crazy fun novel gives me hope.

browncoatslytherin

i verified today and got my certificate! how is everybody else doing? there's still time to write!

molecule

I totally failed. I got caught up in a paid project that I am still trying to get done, and I just couldn't put the time into my novel. But I started it. I have a good outline, and I enjoyed what I wrote so far. After the holidays, I will start working on it again. And maybe next year I'll make sure not to take on big projects for November.

browncoatslytherin
On 12/4/2017 at 10:04 PM, molecule said:

I totally failed. I got caught up in a paid project that I am still trying to get done, and I just couldn't put the time into my novel. But I started it. I have a good outline, and I enjoyed what I wrote so far. After the holidays, I will start working on it again. And maybe next year I'll make sure not to take on big projects for November.

well hey, you got something done, that's more than nothing! something is ALWAYS better than nothing! (at least, that's what i think :D )

Puzzled
clueliss

I won in that I compiled 50k words into a single file.  It was more notes and journaling and clearly not a novel.  But it did get my mind flowing again.  I think.  

The pace of 50k in one month for actual novel draft work is not a good pace for me.  They sent a survey which I took and one of the questions was about an interest in setting your own word count to something other than 50k to which I absolutely said yes.  

browncoatslytherin
On 12/7/2017 at 8:36 AM, clueliss said:

The pace of 50k in one month for actual novel draft work is not a good pace for me.  They sent a survey which I took and one of the questions was about an interest in setting your own word count to something other than 50k to which I absolutely said yes.  

i know this is wayyyyyyy late response, but it actually coincides with a question i was going to ask which is ... is anyone doing camp nano this year? in it, you can set your own goals (not even necessarily words, could be pages or lines or hours, something of that sort). i've set 35k words for myself, as it think it will best serve the story i'm planning.

if anyone is doing camp nano, do y'all wanna cabin together?

Puzzled
clueliss

I am.  I’ve got my goal set to hours not words because  I need to character and plot work.  

browncoatslytherin
3 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I am.  I’ve got my goal set to hours not words because  I need to character and plot work.  

great idea! i would probably be needing to do tooooooons of that for this story, except i've already been doing that on and off for months while this story was on the back burner. i refused to start up any more fics while i had others unfinished and had promised myself that if i finished two then i would start this one, and earlier this month i finished one and i'm within one chapter of finishing another (which will happen in the next couple of days, tomorrow ideally), so i'm pretty much on target for actually starting it up in time for camp nano. :D

browncoatslytherin

so, if anyone is doing camp nano, what is your progress like? i hit my goal a couple of weeks ago, i actually had to increase my goal from 35k to 40k and ended up around 43k once everything was said and done. and now i'm in a bit of a writing slump, but i'm just taking it one day at a time because i don't want to burn out like i did at the end of nanowrimo last year.

Puzzled
clueliss

No progress.  Crash and burn.  

browncoatslytherin

any july campers? i'm setting a goal for hours so i can read and take notes and research for a massive lord of the rings fic. i put down 60 hours, which averages out to 2 hours a day, which i think is feasible. i'll be re-reading all the books (the main trilogy) and also consulting this wonderful atlas i got the other day so i can plot and map out what i want to do. i've been in a small bit of a writing slump since the first camp nano, but i've been plugging along and just doing what i can when i can and not worrying about it.

LilMissMetaphor

I can't do July.  There's a writing MOOC I want to take starting in the middle of the month, and even that's going to be a struggle considering the two family vacations I'm planning as well. 

I'm still trying to finish up an old camp fic that will just not write itself, darn thing. 

Puzzled
clueliss

I'm considering taking a class through the Guppies chapter of sisters in crime rather than July Camp.  (hoping to kick myself in the butt since I'm still not really writing)

browncoatslytherin

i hope anyone doesn't feel badly about not participating or not writing much. we all need breaks sometime. i'm having a little trouble with on again/off again inspiration, which is why i'm strictly doing research and writing notes/plotting for this story instead of writing it or diving into writing another story.

littlemommy

I'm still plugging away diligently at my fanfic, but actual "success" comes in fits and spurts. I try to complete a short story once a month with mixed results. Sometimes reading other great stories/books inspires me, and sometimes it depresses me, makes me compare my works to theirs and find mine severely lacking.

Sign in to follow this