IGNORED

Who's doing NaNoWriMo this year?

molecule

i finally hit 50k! i'm actually a bit surprised i managed to pull off both the 50k words AND my goal of finishing one of my wip fics so early! i'll keep writing this month, but i'm not going to be doing so as obsessively as i have been doing.

How's everyone doing? I'm shocked and thrilled that I'm actually caught up this year (well, okay, I have to write a couple hundred words to be caught up today, but I've been keeping pace). I've lost the past four years in a row, and the past year and a half has been a nightmare in so many ways, so I'm just over the moon about this! Writing is something I've always done. I can't remember a time I didn't write. So when I'm not writing, it's like an outward symptom that there's something really wrong in my life. The fact that I'm sitting at 33,000 words of this ridiculous, awful, crazy fun novel gives me hope.

• 2 weeks later...

i verified today and got my certificate! how is everybody else doing? there's still time to write!

I totally failed. I got caught up in a paid project that I am still trying to get done, and I just couldn't put the time into my novel. But I started it. I have a good outline, and I enjoyed what I wrote so far. After the holidays, I will start working on it again. And maybe next year I'll make sure not to take on big projects for November.

On 12/4/2017 at 10:04 PM, molecule said:

I totally failed. I got caught up in a paid project that I am still trying to get done, and I just couldn't put the time into my novel. But I started it. I have a good outline, and I enjoyed what I wrote so far. After the holidays, I will start working on it again. And maybe next year I'll make sure not to take on big projects for November.

well hey, you got something done, that's more than nothing! something is ALWAYS better than nothing! (at least, that's what i think :D )

I won in that I compiled 50k words into a single file.  It was more notes and journaling and clearly not a novel.  But it did get my mind flowing again.  I think.  

The pace of 50k in one month for actual novel draft work is not a good pace for me.  They sent a survey which I took and one of the questions was about an interest in setting your own word count to something other than 50k to which I absolutely said yes.  

• 3 months later...
On 12/7/2017 at 8:36 AM, clueliss said:

The pace of 50k in one month for actual novel draft work is not a good pace for me.  They sent a survey which I took and one of the questions was about an interest in setting your own word count to something other than 50k to which I absolutely said yes.  

i know this is wayyyyyyy late response, but it actually coincides with a question i was going to ask which is ... is anyone doing camp nano this year? in it, you can set your own goals (not even necessarily words, could be pages or lines or hours, something of that sort). i've set 35k words for myself, as it think it will best serve the story i'm planning.

if anyone is doing camp nano, do y'all wanna cabin together?

I am.  I’ve got my goal set to hours not words because  I need to character and plot work.  

3 minutes ago, clueliss said:

I am.  I’ve got my goal set to hours not words because  I need to character and plot work.  

great idea! i would probably be needing to do tooooooons of that for this story, except i've already been doing that on and off for months while this story was on the back burner. i refused to start up any more fics while i had others unfinished and had promised myself that if i finished two then i would start this one, and earlier this month i finished one and i'm within one chapter of finishing another (which will happen in the next couple of days, tomorrow ideally), so i'm pretty much on target for actually starting it up in time for camp nano. :D

• 1 month later...

so, if anyone is doing camp nano, what is your progress like? i hit my goal a couple of weeks ago, i actually had to increase my goal from 35k to 40k and ended up around 43k once everything was said and done. and now i'm in a bit of a writing slump, but i'm just taking it one day at a time because i don't want to burn out like i did at the end of nanowrimo last year.

• 1 month later...

any july campers? i'm setting a goal for hours so i can read and take notes and research for a massive lord of the rings fic. i put down 60 hours, which averages out to 2 hours a day, which i think is feasible. i'll be re-reading all the books (the main trilogy) and also consulting this wonderful atlas i got the other day so i can plot and map out what i want to do. i've been in a small bit of a writing slump since the first camp nano, but i've been plugging along and just doing what i can when i can and not worrying about it.

I can't do July.  There's a writing MOOC I want to take starting in the middle of the month, and even that's going to be a struggle considering the two family vacations I'm planning as well. 

I'm still trying to finish up an old camp fic that will just not write itself, darn thing. 

I'm considering taking a class through the Guppies chapter of sisters in crime rather than July Camp.  (hoping to kick myself in the butt since I'm still not really writing)

i hope anyone doesn't feel badly about not participating or not writing much. we all need breaks sometime. i'm having a little trouble with on again/off again inspiration, which is why i'm strictly doing research and writing notes/plotting for this story instead of writing it or diving into writing another story.

I'm still plugging away diligently at my fanfic, but actual "success" comes in fits and spurts. I try to complete a short story once a month with mixed results. Sometimes reading other great stories/books inspires me, and sometimes it depresses me, makes me compare my works to theirs and find mine severely lacking.

• 2 weeks later...

Any writers here with small children? I’ve had a publisher on my back for a few weeks and I don’t know a professional way to tell her “sorry...twins are on a nap strike.” :laughing-jumpingpurple:

On 6/23/2018 at 10:55 AM, Pete Pickles said:

Any writers here with small children? I’ve had a publisher on my back for a few weeks and I don’t know a professional way to tell her “sorry...twins are on a nap strike.” :laughing-jumpingpurple:

i have a high-needs two year old who resists naps about 95% of the time, so i completely understand! maybe ... "due to extenuating family circumstances, i will need to extend my deadline ..." or something like that.

Hi all! I’m ridiculously happy to see a NaNo group! 

Im still on the fence about camp lol. I’ll probably wait until the last minute and then decide I have to do it. 

25 minutes ago, pandorasjen said:

Hi all! I’m ridiculously happy to see a NaNo group! 

Im still on the fence about camp lol. I’ll probably wait until the last minute and then decide I have to do it. 

that was totally me the first time around lolol. the great thing about camp, aside from setting your own individual goal, is you can adjust your goal throughout the month. last camp my goal was 35k words, and i ended up upping it to 40k later on. if my research ends up consuming more time than i originally thought it might, i'll probably up my hourly goal, too.

I've done camp and Nano since 2014. This is me every time lol. I always worry I won't have time and then my writing groups on Facebook start talking about it and at the last minute I decide to do it. It seems to be my thing for some reason! :pb_lol:

I've never done Camp NaNo, but I'm considering it. I've got THREE former NaNo "novels" (one over 50K, the others short fails) and I really need to finish one of them. 

My current project is finishing the travel journal from my trip last September to Paris. I've only got a few more pages to go on that, so maybe I can pick up a story and work on it in July!

My issue is figuring out how to get to the end. I end up with tons of character and exposition, but I need to cut through to the action and get to the end. I actually wrote a scene between two minor characters while waiting at the doctor's office a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure if that will even fit in anywhere, since they really are minor characters.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:07 PM, Alisamer said:

I've never done Camp NaNo, but I'm considering it. I've got THREE former NaNo "novels" (one over 50K, the others short fails) and I really need to finish one of them. 

My current project is finishing the travel journal from my trip last September to Paris. I've only got a few more pages to go on that, so maybe I can pick up a story and work on it in July!

My issue is figuring out how to get to the end. I end up with tons of character and exposition, but I need to cut through to the action and get to the end. I actually wrote a scene between two minor characters while waiting at the doctor's office a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure if that will even fit in anywhere, since they really are minor characters.

i for one really love how flexible camp nano is with the writing goals. it's allowed me to feel like i'm not wasting time rereading lord of the rings and notating and writing timelines and plotting along the way lol.

I put in goals in hours, and have done a little bit! I've been struggling with the beginning of this thing for years and have started poking at it from a different direction. Even if it doesn't work it'll help me understand what's going on better. 

• 1 month later...

i'm so sad july's camp nano is over :( but i got so much done! actually ended up doing 61 hours and got 40 pages of notes/research/plotting stuffs written! it was a lot of fun doing it this way. if i come up with a story in a fandom where i need to reread and research stuff, i'm definitely saving it for camp nano.

and now it feels like nanowrimo is just around the corner! :o 

Archived