IGNORED

Fundy Matching Game: Unmarried Fundies 4

Bethella

I just took a look at the Klein blog. They're...interesting.

They copy the Bible and call it homeschooling? How does that work for learning math and American history and things like that? And they use KJV but not out of any conviction, only because it isn't copyrighted. They don't actually believe in one translation being more "right" than another. As someone who reads it in the original Hebrew, I gotta say that was refreshing.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I find interesting about these lists is how many fundie couples, at least among those who have FJ’s attention, have gotten married on the same day or on days very close together. In August, for example, there were three weddings on Aug. 5 and two on Aug. 12, but apparently nothing the rest of the month (at least that we know of). Probably just a coincidence, and multiple couples marrying the same day is bound to happen when you have as many weddings as you do in fundie land, but something I find interesting nonetheless.

8 minutes ago, 99bottlesofPlexus said:

One thing I find interesting about these lists is how many fundie couples, at least among those who have FJ’s attention, have gotten married on the same day or on days very close together. In August, for example, there were three weddings on Aug. 5 and two on Aug. 12, but apparently nothing the rest of the month (at least that we know of). Probably just a coincidence, and multiple couples marrying the same day is bound to happen when you have as many weddings as you do in fundie land, but something I find interesting nonetheless.

It's possible that the fundies in the same groups have some sort of homeschool convention they are planning to attend which means that weekend is out. Or some other group function.

OK folks, here's a Q I wonder about.

In the Courtship model, a godly maiden may or may not tell her father God has laid it on her heart that a certain young man is her future Best Friend to Do Life With - or she may have to pretend not to notice him and pray tons.  But it's expected that that the Young Man or his father do all the approaching.

What happens if a Young Man who comes from a family that's lower-ranked/looked down on approaches a higher ranked family?   Like, for example, if the Rods or the Weens approached the Duggars or Bateses, for example?  Or the Smiths, where there's not only Alan's incarceration, but the general Captain Smith-ness, if one of their young men approached a family who would be horrified?

In these cases, does the Patriarch just do the "God has told me that's not his plan for my daughter" and leave it at that?  Would they share it with his daughter?  Would there be a bunch of sisters and friends giggling over "can you even believe the nerve?"

26 minutes ago, Lurky said:

In these cases, does the Patriarch just do the "God has told me that's not his plan for my daughter" and leave it at that?  Would they share it with his daughter?  Would there be a bunch of sisters and friends giggling over "can you even believe the nerve?"

It probably depends on the Patriarch as to whether he tells his daughter about a rejected suitor or not.  They may not even spend much time asking her opinion so she can reject a suitor he thinks is may be doctrinally sound before the poor stinker has answered eleventy thousand questions and written a dissertation on his beliefs to prove his worthiness.

Geoff Botkin is rumored to have sent out strong negative messages when some lower status young man has sniffed around AS and E.  It is unclear whether anyone has come up to his standards at all.  Let alone theirs!  Natty Darnell is reputed to be one of the Botkin rejectees.

Daniel Staddon and Kathryn Neely wrote one of my favorite weird courtship stories ever though.  They practically stand on their heads to demonstrate their virtue, deference to their fathers, her maidenly lack of interest in him, and God's perfect timing.  Unlikely coincidences abound and I'm sure some parts of it are fiction.  ;)

Link is in the first post of this thread:

@Palimpsest Ohhhh, I remember that story - their prose was pretty incomprehensible to me, and I got a headache trying to decipher it!  I did really feel for her though, with the thing about if everything is pre-ordained, it's presumptuous (or useless) to even pray.

ETA I also feel sorry for the other young man, who presumably has as many coincidences/messages as Daniel had, etc etc

@JermajestyDuggar  Aaargh, that's the one where he approached, she said no, and later changed her mind but was determined to not give any hint of a sign!  So convoluted and and unnecessarily stressful!  (love the photo with the dog's ass in it)

8 hours ago, Lurky said:

Like, for example, if the Rods or the Weens approached the Duggars or Bateses, for example? 

I am intrigued by this, but I think the Duggars and Bateses, while famous and held in fairly high regard, aren't the most elite. What I'd like to see is Bro. Gary approach Geoff Botkin or pre-implosion Doug Phillips and suggest a courtship. That would be even wilder IMO. :) Gary could tell Geoff that Anna Sofia will have to learn how to make weenie gravy and travel around in a crappy RV (of course I'm pretending Gary has a son old enough to marry AS). I'm picturing Geoff's attempt to hide his disdain right now. Hahahaha. And my personal feeling is that fundie dads wouldn't tell their daughters about rejected suitors b/c then the daughters might start thinking about the suitor and whether other guys are interested in them too and then their hearts wouldn't be pure anymore. :)

@Bethella, you mentioned adding people like the McDonalds to the list. I assume you mean James and Stacy. I would like that b/c they're one of my pet fundies but I don't know how many other people here follow them. There has been some discussion of them recently on the Doug Phillips thread, though. Your mention of the Browns made me think of the Scott Brown family. I see Claudia's on the list but does anyone know what she's doing these days? I think she'd be about 21 by now. If Scott or anyone has been talking about her lately, I haven't seen it.

7 hours ago, Corntree said:

I am intrigued by this, but I think the Duggars and Bateses, while famous and held in fairly high regard, aren't the most elite.

Oooh, good point!   I wonder what would happen if JD or Lawson approached Geoff?  And would the Botkinettes even be told?

Then there are the ones who believe they're so much better than everyone else - the Maxwells, the Andersons.

I wonder what happens if the Godly Young Man feels God has laid it on his heart that a Maiden who has an unfortunate family?   Would the GYM's parents try to stop it, or would they feel they were rescuing the poor young thing?

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I wonder what happens if the Godly Young Man feels God has laid it on his heart that a Maiden who has an unfortunate family?   Would the GYM's parents try to stop it, or would they feel they were rescuing the poor young thing?

I think this sort of happened with Zach and Whitney Bates (she was already a pretty convicted Christian, right?), except it wasn't so much about him rescuing her but admitting that they were too into each other to avoid marrying. Families where both partners are already fundie do seem to marry within their "rank" quite a bit though.

I think the Duggars and Bateses, while famous and held in fairly high regard, aren't the most elite.

I would think their celebrity status would make them elite. The Bates especially. Gil is on the IBLB BoD, and their in-laws are Webster, Paine, and Keilen who are elite families. The Josh scandals may have knocked the Duggars down a peg or two.

11 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

I would think their celebrity status would make them elite. The Bates especially. Gil is on the IBLB BoD, and their in-laws are Webster, Paine, and Keilen who are elite families. The Josh scandals may have knocked the Duggars down a peg or two.

I know what you're saying. And I don't know much about the Bateses or their in-laws so they may be more elite than I know. But my perspective on the Duggars is they're celebrities but they still eat Tater Tot Casserole and Chickenetti, for example. They seem slightly less "classy" in some regards than some other fundies. They are elite in the sense that they have power and major visibility but to me they're not exactly the smug, upper class three-piece-suit extravagant-gala manly-adventure snobs that people like the Botkins or the Phillipses or the Chanceys are/were. Even though way more people have heard of the Duggars than any of them. I think in an old novel, Doug Phillips would be the guy who was born into wealth (as it should be) and Jim Bob would be the guy who (eww) worked for his fortune and some of the things he does are not quite upper class enough. That's not a perfect metaphor but it's kinda the impression I've gotten. I will admit I haven't closely followed the Duggars in more recent years.

I was thinking if it a Duggar or Bates boy will go to the mortons or the Smith, who will be more against the girl parents/family or the man one's?

On 11/1/2017 at 1:39 PM, JMO said:

@Bethella I noticed that you have Logan Brown's engagement listed but his unmarried adult sibs (like Hunter, Mariah and Aspyn) aren't on the singles list.  I know that the kids seem to be straying from the parents' teachings but should we include them? 

@JMO @JermajestyDuggar @Marly and I'm not sure who else commented. I'm leaning towards not including the Browns on the list because most of the children over 18 seem to be in relationships (Maddie and Mykelti are married, Logan is engaged and Aspyn and Mariah are dating; the ones I'm not sure about are Hunter, Garrison and Paedon)

I am adding the Millers, the Hawkinses, the McDonalds, and the Kleins.

@dripcurl I have duly removed him from the single list.

On 11/4/2017 at 12:00 AM, Corntree said:

Your mention of the Browns made me think of the Scott Brown family. I see Claudia's on the list but does anyone know what she's doing these days? I think she'd be about 21 by now. If Scott or anyone has been talking about her lately, I haven't seen it.

Claudia is 24.

On 11/7/2017 at 1:10 AM, Bethella said:

Claudia is 24.

I decided to look at Blair's old blog to see if any birthdays were mentioned, and apparently Claudia turned 23 on September 26:

http://raisedinthebarn.blogspot.com/2007/09/13-very-wonderful-years.html

(On my computer, there are some ads in weird places that block some of the text, but I don't know if the problem's on my end or the blog's.)

8 minutes ago, JMO said:

Even though it's not on the list I thought we knew this. @Bethella?

He was on the married list (although I only show the most recent four months on first page)- but somehow I missed removing him from the singles list.

I don't know much about her (Anna Hackel)  but I know Jinger and/or Jessa follows her and now that I think about it, I think anna was a bridesmaid because that sounds familiar. 

They dress and act normally, she wears shorts, he drinks beer etc. 

According to Jordan and Melissa Niednagel's instagram Marscel Thomas and Emma Hauegewood are engaged. So that leaves two Thomas siblings left, Melanie and Matthew. 

• Bethella unpinned and locked this topic

Archived