IGNORED

Desperately Seeking Soup

Mela99

Seeking slow cooker soup recipes. I have a seafood and shellfish allergy, I love anything with potatoes or cheese. It's one of the few things lately I have an appetite for. 

I loathe potato and cheese soup, so sorry about that. But, we've been doing Italian Wedding Soup and Greek Lemon Chicken Soup lately.

Greek Lemon Chicken- https://flavorthemoments.com/slow-cooker-greek-lemon-chicken-soup-avgolemono/

For Italian wedding, I use what we have on hand- the remainders of a rotisserie chicken, some stock/broth, Israeli couscous, some kale, some carrots, and turkey meatballs. I'm sure there's an easy to follow recipe out there, but  I grew up on this, so it's a throw it in a pot type dish for me.

These sound really good ! Thanks guys! I think I have to start with the avgolemono ! We used to serve that at a restaurant I worked at before I moved to Michigan. Heavenly !

I make a minestrone with sausage and tortellini. Cook hot or mild sausage with onions and garlic, add beef broth, red wine and any Italian herbs and spices you like. Simmer for about 45 minutes, then add dry tortellini and simmer until the tortellini is cooked through. Great for cold weather :my_biggrin:

Here are two more recipes:

Potato Soup

• 2 strips + 1 strip bacon, chopped
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled, chopped and weighed after preparation
  • 2 onions, peeled and chopped
  • 1 1/2 pts chicken stock (3 cups)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 6 sprigs parsley, tied together
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 cup single cream

Fry the 2 strips of bacon in a saucepan until the fat begins to run, then add the butter, potatoes and onions and cook, stirring for 10 minutes. Add the stock, milk, parsley and seasoning. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove parsley and puree the soup. Stir in the cream and thoroughly heat without boiling. Serve with the remaining bacon fried crisp. Serves 4-6.

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

• 1/2 stick butter
  • diced onions (as much or as little as you want)
  • 2 small cans mushrooms
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 6 chicken bullion cubes
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 boxes Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice (including seasoning packets)
  • 1 pt half and half

Dump everything in a kettle and cook until the rice is done. Take 3 or 4 chicken breasts and cube them. Season with salt and pepper and brown the chicken. When the rice is done, add the chicken and simmer. Add more salt and pepper to taste. If it is too thick for soup, add milk or water to thin, or just call it stew.

• 3 weeks later...

If you love potato in soup, try potato and leek.

My favourite basic recipe here:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/potato-leek-soup-2/56c16a16-d92c-475c-92cc-4b8eecd6c0c5

You can garnish with crispy bacon pieces, grated cheddar etc. And you can serve it chunky or puréed. You can add other veggies such as carrot or celery if you want to bump up the healthy factor. 

Archived