IGNORED

Seewalds 27: Playing not Cleaning

Coconut Flan

6 hours ago, Jenn The Heathen said:

Richard III

(or according to Phillipa Gregory, it was Margaret Beaufort...)

Likely.

Possibly.

I've also toured the Tower and have seen where those poor little boys were. :(

Anyone (or no-one) could have killed them. As @singsingsing (I think?) said, children died at an alarming rate back then.

Regardless. Y'all stop talkin' smack about my however-many-greats-uncle. (Edward III is my 13th great grandfather - I snuck a photo of his tomb chest in Westminster Abbey... lol).

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Regardless. Y'all stop talkin' smack about my however-many-greats-uncle. (Edward III is my 13th great grandfather - I snuck a photo of his tomb chest in Westminster Abbey... lol).

I thought that Richard III kind of looked like me when they did his facial reconstruction after they found his body. And scoliosis runs in my family....!

Edit: This topic is now hot because we are debating who murdered the Princes in the Tower. Sorry, Jessa. And well done, everyone! :pb_lol:

5 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I thought that Richard III kind of looked like me when they did his facial reconstruction after they found his body. And scoliosis runs in my family....!

I remember watching the documentary about how they discovered the body and the testing afterwards to determine if it was him. As I recall, there was a (very, very) distant relative who was very keen to have the body found and did a great deal of work over multiple years to determine its whereabouts. She had always felt he was a good guy whose bad reputation was the result of a smear campaign after his death. She was absolutely devastated when they saw that he actually did have scoliosis. It should be noted, though, that he didn't have the withered arm, so he had that going for him. 

2 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I remember watching the documentary about how they discovered the body and the testing afterwards to determine if it was him. As I recall, there was a (very, very) distant relative who was very keen to have the body found and did a great deal of work over multiple years to determine its whereabouts. She had always felt he was a good guy whose bad reputation was the result of a smear campaign after his death. She was absolutely devastated when they saw that he actually did have scoliosis. It should be noted, though, that he didn't have the withered arm, so he had that going for him. 

Yes, I remember that. She was crying, I think. It was very uncomfortable to watch. She was obviously in love with him (well, her idea of him), and it was odd to say the least. I wanted to ask her, "What's so terrible about having a hunchback anyway? Just because people 400 years ago thought it was funny/bad doesn't mean it actually is." But I think she was beyond reason.

I found the documentary on Youtube...the relevant part starts at 19:00, but it's really an excellent documentary and worth viewing in its entirety.

12 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Edit: This topic is now hot because we are debating who murdered the Princes in the Tower. Sorry, Jessa. And well done, everyone! :pb_lol:

I've got me some scoliosis too. lol

Hi, Cousin! :)

William Shakespeare did not agree with that woman in the documentary. That is for certain. :P 

Just now, Carm_88 said:

William Shakespeare did not agree with that woman in the documentary. That is for certain. :P 

I rewatched it and this quote from a crazy-haired academic cracked me up: "Hey, he had a hunchback, but he still could have been a really good guy." :pb_lol:

Just now, Carm_88 said:

Nor did Thomas More. Probably a good bet not to look too kindly upon Richard III when your King is a Tudor. Of course, it didn't help him in the end... :pb_confused:

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

And! The man at 1:11 is in the awesome show The Detectorists. If you have Netflix (and a lot of wine) it's a funny watch.

That's the crazy-haired guy! I'm going to have to to check this show out!

6 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

We are probably cousins somehow. I know I'm supposedly descended from some King through one of his mistresses or son's mistresses or something. Can't remember which one, though. Uhhh... I looked it up. Supposedly it's King John. LOL! Of course it would be!

Wait, that means Eleanor of Aquitaine is like my umpteenth-great-grandmother. Right on!

3 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Uhhh... I looked it up. Supposedly it's King John. LOL! Of course it would be!

Wait, that means Eleanor of Aquitaine is like my umpteenth-great-grandmother. Right on!

More with the nephew killing. :pb_lol: 

Elanor is cool though! 

Wait, that's kind of weird to think about, if it's true. Like I wouldn't be here if it weren't for Eleanor of Aquitaine. What if there's an afterlife and I meet her there, do I have to call her Grandma, or does she prefer Nanna, or what?

14 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I have it as well, and had a rod put in when I was a teenager.  It is like a big 'ole family reunion tonight.:my_smile:

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

That's my issue too! Even if Richard III were a murderer, it wouldn't be the first time that someone had murdered to get the throne. King John supposedly did the same thing with his nephew, who also was under capture and then just disappeared. 

@Carm_88 Re: the bold part makes me think of the Trump family. You know they all hate each other and will be conniving like mad over daddy's money

8 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Eleanor of Aquitaine i

I'm from Edward III through John of Gaunt - I know JofG was Duke of Aquitaine... How does Eleanor of Aquitaine tie in?

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Wait, that's kind of weird to think about, if it's true. Like I wouldn't be here if it weren't for Eleanor of Aquitaine. What if there's an afterlife and I meet her there, do I have to call her Grandma, or does she prefer Nanna, or what?

My grandmother was a genealogist, so we have extensive knowledge of our family tree on my mother's side. One year, my grandmother hooked into the Mormon genealogical project and traced our supposed family lineage back to Charlemagne. Now, even as a children, my cousins and I realized that the veracity of this claim was nebulous at best, so it became sort of a family in-joke. One of us would be asked to clear the table or take out the trash, and we'd reply with 'Uh, I'm one of Charlemagne's grandchildren and that chore is beneath me." :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

My grandmother was a genealogist, so we have extensive knowledge of our family tree on my mother's side. One year, my grandmother hooked into the Mormon genealogical project and traced our supposed family lineage back to Charlemagne. Now, even as a children, my cousins and I realized that the veracity of this claim was nebulous at best, so it became sort of a family in-joke. One of us would be asked to clear the table or take out the trash, and we'd reply with 'Uh, I'm one of Charlemagne's grandchildren and that chore is beneath me." :pb_lol:

Haha, that's awesome. And yeah, as soon as you get to any kind of minor nobility, you'll find they can always trace their lineage from some King or another - which, to be fair, is most likely true if you go back far enough. But those Kings can all then of course trace their lineage from mythological figures. I remember one night when I unwittingly 'traced' my family tree straight back to Adam and Eve. I was like, "Well, I guess I'm done."

My aunt is still really into it and will contact me or my mother from time to time with some latest and greatest discovery she's made about the family tree. I told her that I only really care unless it means I don't have to go to work in the morning. :pb_lol:

1 minute ago, ViolaSebastian said:

My aunt is still really into it and will contact me or my mother from time to time with some latest and greatest discovery she's made about the family tree. I told her that I only really care unless it means I don't have to go to work in the morning. :pb_lol:

Aside from the late great King John and the dudes who bought Nantucket, I'm descended from a long and glorious line of farmers and fishermen. I always kind of hoped that I was the secret heir to some castle in Scotland somewhere, but alas. My people were the ones cleaning the castle's manure pits, I think. :D 

Eleanor is a direct relative of mine too! (If the tree is accurate.) Charlemagne too. Just about everyone of European ancestry is descended from Charlemagne, as well as from everyone else in Europe who lived at least 600 years ago and whose descendants survived.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived