IGNORED

Some on the left are arming themselves now

47of74

I just saw this on FB. 

Personally if people on my side of the political aisle want to arm themselves I do not have a problem with that.  Not with the rise of the Klan, neo-Nazis, and other hate groups with an administration that looks the other way added into the mix.  If people feel the need to have firearms to protect themselves from the right wing I don't judge them now.  

Hell, even I've thought of it from time to time. 

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1

This is not so far fetched as people might think.  My husband, like me is pretty progressive and left wing.  He is a firm believer in the second amendment and was taught how to shoot at a young age. He is hard lined when it comes to safety and says all guns should be kept locked away at all times except when target shooting or yes.. hunting.  With all that  he hates I mean HATES the NRA and their sick alt-right bile.

November 8th, 2016 the night the world ended I was in so much anguish I din't think I'd ever recover.  I also told him I wanted to get a carry permit.  He told me to slow down, that I had a lot to learn before I was ever to handle a fire arm. 

The KKK, alt-right and the TDs are a threat to my daughter, my family, people of color and to this entire country.  So I ask, why shouldn't we learn how to fight back.  

It has been almost a year, and i still haven't gone near a gun, but I do think about it.

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 1
  • I Agree 3

5 hours ago, 47of74 said:

I just saw this on FB. 

Personally if people on my side of the political aisle want to arm themselves I do not have a problem with that.  Not with the rise of the Klan, neo-Nazis, and other hate groups with an administration that looks the other way added into the mix.  If people feel the need to have firearms to protect themselves from the right wing I don't judge them now.  

Hell, even I've thought of it from time to time. 

In regards to your bolded, allowing one side of the political aisle is terrifying. That is never a good idea to say only one political party is allowed to be armed.  Please don't think this is a personal attack, please. It is not, It is just an incredibly dangerous and scary idea.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

That isn't  what she said. She said she didn't have a problem with her side being armed. 

This is why I wanted to assure it wasn't an attack on her personally. I just know very well the slippery slope that leads to and felt it needed to be said.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Both sides having guns is not the way to deal with anything. If the Left start arming, they are just walking into Trumpface's trap. Doing exactly what he wants. Complete division within America. Some one has to say ENOUGH. 

This whole scenario has shades of Mosley's Brownshirts  ( thugs) marching through London in the 1930s. Trying to start the same trouble in Britain as Hitler and his black-shirted thugs were doing in Germany when he became chancellor of Germany. 

Every  sensible sane person knows that Trump-face is unhinged. Surely those sane people understand that talking and listening is more sensible than guns???

President Obama please please keep speaking out. 

• Upvote 6

Personally I don't know if I would ever want to carry or own a gun.  What I'm saying is that while firearms aren't for me, I'm not going to judge people on the left who feel a need to be armed.

We just covered the Second Amendment in Constitutional Law and I think the Court was way off base when they read an individual right in to the Second Amendment in District of Columbia v. Heller.  I know the reich wing pretty much says anything goes when it comes to firearms and have a fit when people suggest any type of gun control whatsoever.  I think there are legit ways to control firearms and protect all the rights Americans have.  But until we get a government that's going to rein in the reich wing and their buddies in the Klan, NRA, etc we're kind of stuck with what we've got.  So that is why I don't judge now. 

• Upvote 7

I'm not opposed to people owning firearms in general.  To me it is who owns them and what they own and that is sometimes a hard call to make. Where my husband's stepmother lives going hiking with out a firearm can be tricky because of mountain lions and yes, bears.  In the Alaskan bush it would be crazy not to carry for the same reason.

All that being said, who the fuck needs to carry a machine gun to the grocery store? And where is the line drawn? Small  pistol, shot gun, full auto or rocket launcher? There are now easy answers, but with the NRA and the TDs in control we can't even have sane conversations.

My knee jerk reaction the night of the election was to  protect my kid. As rash and crazy as it seems to me now, that is how I felt then. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that when one sees another group arming themselves to the teeth, one needs the ability to protect oneself. Just sitting and idly waiting until things go horribly wrong is not the smartest thing to do. Then you are sure to be on the losing end when things start going pear-shaped. So I get it. I believe I would be arming myself too, to be honest.

However...

I believe this is a very frightening development. How can this not lead to armed conflict?
Is America gearing up for a second civil war? What a scary thought.

:(

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1