IGNORED

Who are the Serven Clan and the Manteufel?

finleeport

servenclan.com is working fine for me. They have been very open about their lives (they're my Gateway Family), so just go and learn, grasshopper.

The Manteufel family of whom you speak probably are the ones in Texas? Google Manteufel family texas and go to the second page of results and you will be rewarded with a nice suprise. I promise. ;)

is this one the surprise?

newventurelab.com/profiles/view_profile.php?profile_id=15

"I am a 19-year-old homeschool graduate that is in the process of being launched into life."

Shouldn't that be who is in the process, not that is in the process of?

Nell

"I am a 19-year-old homeschool graduate that is in the process of being launched into life."

Shouldn't that be who is in the process, not that is in the process of?

Nell

Golly, I don't know. I would've said yes, but his mentor, Wade Myers,

"...is an investment banker that focuses on mergers and acquisitions and capital formation for growth-oriented middle-market companies." (see, newventurelab.com/about/)

Be sure to break links for this crowd. Mr. Myers is a veteran Airborne Ranger with the U.S. Army. Those are the guys that are tough. Mr. Myers says 'that' instead of 'who,' I'll say 'that' instead of 'who.' :shifty:

Those are the guys that are tough. Mr. Myers says 'that' instead of 'who,' I'll say 'that' instead of 'who.' :shifty:

I was taught to use who for people, that for inanimate objects. Any English teachers here?

Nell

I was taught to use who for people, that for inanimate objects. Any English teachers here?

I looked it up, and yes, the above is correct.

Nell

I looked it up, and yes, the above is correct.

Nell

;) I leave it to you to inform Messrs. Manteufel and Myers. Be prepared for cries of "uppity woman!" and suchlike. ;)

;) I leave it to you to inform Messrs. Manteufel and Myers. Be prepared for cries of "uppity woman!" and suchlike. ;)

Actually, "who" is the subject of a clause modifying/referring to humans. "Which" is the subject of a non-restrictive clause. "That" is the subject of a restrictive clause.

And yes, I'm uppity.

So I guess they see themselves as inanimate objects.

Actually, "who" is the subject of a clause modifying/referring to humans. "Which" is the subject of a non-restrictive clause. "That" is the subject of a restrictive clause.

:text-threadjacked: Y'know, I consider myself a total grammar lover but I have never understood the differences between which and that. So, please, what's the difference between the restrictive & non-restrictive clauses?

KThxInadvanceBai Very Sincerely!!!!!

Gah! He sounds like a Smuggar clone. Must be the SODRT education. Poor kid. Needs to be attending college and figuring out who he really is before he launches him self right into a marriage and a passel of kids.

The whole 'you only use that for restrictive and which for non-restrictive' thing is a total myth anyway, a supposed rule broken by all the great English writers. But for all things grammar, I worship at the altar of the Language Log. Here you go MamaJunebug:

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?cat=36

I know the rule but it's one of those things that I think has gone by the wayside and I don't much care! Here's a pretty good explanation from GrammarGirl (and the upenn site is good, too):

Restrictive Clause--That

A restrictive clause is just part of a sentence that you can't get rid of because it specifically restricts some other part of the sentence. Here's an example:

* Gems that sparkle often elicit forgiveness.

The words that sparkle restrict the kind of gems you're talking about. Without them, the meaning of the sentence would change. Without them, you'd be saying that all gems elicit forgiveness, not just the gems that sparkle. (And note that you don't need commas around the words that sparkle.)

Nonrestrictive Clause--Which

A nonrestrictive clause is something that can be left off without changing the meaning of the sentence. You can think of a nonrestrictive clause as simply additional information. Here's an example:

* Diamonds, which are expensive, often elicit forgiveness.

Alas, in Grammar Girl's world, diamonds are always expensive, so leaving out the words which are expensive doesn't change the meaning of the sentence. (Also note that the phrase is surrounded by commas. Nonrestrictive clauses are usually surrounded by, or preceded by, commas.) Here's another example:

There was an earthquake in China, which is bad news.

Are there any German speakers on the board? This post jumped out at me because my rudimentary high school German (circa 1988) kicked in and what I saw was, "...Serven Clan and Mandevil." Am I correct in remembering that "teufel" is "devil"?

Are there any German speakers on the board? This post jumped out at me because my rudimentary high school German (circa 1988) kicked in and what I saw was, "...Serven Clan and Mandevil." Am I correct in remembering that "teufel" is "devil"?

You are, right, it means "devil." I just checked the German wikipedia for the name. The Manteuf(f)els are an old aristocratic family from Pomerania. They were spelled Manteuffel, but the family had four branches and the spelling may have changed.

Rumor has it that they were not only powerful, but also very cruel robber barons, so that the Pomeranians said: „id sind man Düwel“, which means "They are devils and not men." That's where the name is supposed to come from. The tended to be part of the Prussian kings' administration or in the military.

That said, I've never known of anybody with the name of Manteufel in Germany; maybe that's because I live in the south of Germany, maybe the name is less unusual up there in the north.

Teufel does indeed mean devil. I refer to my dogs as the "teufelhunden". :D

[That said, I've never known of anybody with the name of Manteufel in Germany; maybe that's because I live in the south of Germany, maybe the name is less unusual up there in the north.

Nope, coming from the north and never heard of it either.

I've got a slight dog (not a devildog) in this fight, as there's a professor at the Lutheran Seminary in Saint Louis named Thomas Manteufel. A man who by no accounts is devilish. ;)

Googling "meaning of name manteufel" I came up with what y'all have alredy said:

Manteufel Save Name

Last name origin & meaning:

German: from Low German Mandüvel, a nickname composed of the elements Man ‘man’ + Düvel ‘devil’, ‘devil’s fellow’. This was the name of a Pomeranian noble family.

(http://genealogy.familyeducation.com/su ... /manteufel)

My guess as a very casual student of immigration is that the name may have died out in Europe. Who'd want to be associated with a family known as devils? Meanwhile, in North America, as German language gave way to English, the name's meaning was less obvious.

having grown up in the Missouri/Iowa "little Germany" areas, I was provincial enough to be surprised at the number of German immigrants in a place like Texas (there is a lot of German culture there). Anyway, the professor I know of pronounces his name man-TOY-ful. I wonder if the dominionists in the south pronounce it man-TOO-ful. Doesn't young Manteuful have any vimeos?????

I knew a Manteufel family in Wisconsin when I taught in Catholic school. They were really nice kids, and a great family. They pronounced it

Man-tEYE-ful. Like Man+ t + Eiffel (sans tower).

Teufelhunden! I love it. My dad called our dog a schweinhund, but teufelhund would certainly have applied.

I'm a southern Minnesota girl ~ there's a huge German population here. I was even raised by some of them. ; ) I've yet to meet any Manteufels, though.

While I don't believe that a name should reflect on someone's character, fundies I've known put alot of emphasis on the meanings of words and names. I find ironic (and a little humorous) that there's a fundy family named Manteufel. My first husband had a last name that sounded a lot like "witch" in another language. He was ready to change it, until he found out that it meant something benign in its language of origin.

I wish my last name was Manteufel. That's a much more interesting than my last name, which is English/Scottish and ridiculously common. I'd love to have a last name that would offend fundies, rather than meaning I was descended from some guy named Will.

Archived