IGNORED

Counting On - Season 4, part 4 - Where Time Isn't Linear and Everyone Is a Relative

Buzzard

My wish list for the (apparent) new season:

1) candid interview with Josh about how and why he strayed, how his perspective on life/religion has evolved over time, and what he is (hopefully) doing to recommit himself to Anna and the M-kids

2) candid interview with Anna about the challenges she and Josh are facing and (hopefully) how they're successfully overcoming them; what advice they would give to couples who have experienced infidelity

3) JinJer talking about their Christian duty to give back and be charitable towards others (EVEN non-Christians!); JinJer discussing their honest perspective on parenthood and family planning

4) Ben and Jessa sharing how their religious beliefs have changed over time, and their potentially evolving views on LGBT Americans, poverty, racial discrimination, women's purpose in society, science, history, raising and educating children, etc etc

5) Joy demonstrating THAT SHE HAS HER OWN FREAKING OPINIONS, PLZ DAMMIT

6) Michelle expressing interest in kids who aren't Josie

7) Jill divorces D-Wreck, writes a tell-all, finds a hot, hygienic, well-dressed new hubby named Chad who supports her emotionally and financially and encourages her to go to nursing school; they live happily ever after with Israel, Samuel, and six golden retrievers

Annnnnnnnnnnnd...I'll get none of that. BUT LOOK, JANA LOVES GARDENING! :pb_rollseyes:

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wish for the new season....

That it wasn't happening.

On the other hand, the gardening would at least be something new.....

13 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

I really HOPE we are subjected to pre-wedding and the honeymoon stuff of Kendra & Joe!

Oh yeah, we still haven't seen Joy & Austin's honeymoon.  I'm sure that will be one wild month of fun. :pb_rollseyes:

15 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Oh yeah, we still haven't seen Joy & Austin's honeymoon.  I'm sure that will be one wild month of fun. :pb_rollseyes:

You mean one month of "Austin likes..." 

12 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Looks like CinderJana is getting pampered too. :)

Joy sure carries big.

Just like her Momma...Jill. 

My wish for the new season...I'd like for their eyes and ears to be opened further than the fundie bubble they live in. 

21 hours ago, Mayluka said:

I look at this picture and all I can think is how contradictory this situation looks. You go to get a pedicure to relax and do something nice for yourself, but you're surrounded by 4+ men with camera equipment the entire time. Like how could anyone think these shows are anything but entirely scripted?? You just simply could not be natural and honest in an environment like that.

When has any Duggar been honest and natural? Maybe the tears when 19 Kids ended up cancelled? 

I take a part of that back. Jessa seemed very real at least while giving birth. 

1 hour ago, Sky with diamonds said:

My wish for the new season...I'd like for their eyes and ears to be opened further than the fundie bubble they live in. 

When has any Duggar been honest and natural? Maybe the tears when 19 Kids ended up cancelled? 

I take a part of that back. Jessa seemed very real at least while giving birth. 

I don’t know. I think there’s been more than that:

- Michelle and Jim Bob seemed to have genuinely mourned for Jubilee. So did Jill - out of all the kids she seemed most impacted by the loss because she had found the heartbeat shortly before they learned Jubilee had died. 

- Jill being legitimately scared to donate blood.

- Jana honestly not wanting to model the dress Jessa picked for her Bridesmaids. This remains one of my favorite scenes from the show because it was a genuine moment between sisters. 

- Jinger emotionally speaking during Benessa’s wedding rehearsal dinner.

- Jessa during birth (as you said.)

- Jill speaking about her worries prior to her second birth. 

- Joseph in general, but specifically when it comes to wanting to make Kendra happy. I think he’s just an honestly genuine person and what you see is what you get.

- Jill and Jessa’s interview with Megyn Kelly was terrible, but I do think those were genuine reactions they gave when discussing how being publicly outed as sexual assault victims affected them.

- Michelle angrily insisting on part of Jordyn’s name being included while giving birth to her... I think it was the “Grace” portion.

- Jim Bob’s reaction to Michelle’s Mother of the Bride dress at Jill’s wedding. 

- Ben asking Jessa to marry him in the glass Church. 

- The Dills front hugging when Derick returned from Nepal. 

- Jill’s excitement during her pregnancy with Israel. 

I think part of it is that they’re trying to sell their lifestyle as being the best one and that can come across as awkward... but a big part is likely due to them just not being great actors. Some of the situations they’re filmed in are planned specifically for the show and that might make their reactions a bit less natural than they would be in more normal situations. 

How incredible is it that we have eleventy million threads and on this family?  They don’t do anything to make the country/world a better place (no, missioncations don’t count), they don’t have much to say of substance about, well, anything - they just kind of exist. They are actually filming the women having pedicures. Wow. I cannot wait for @Buzzard‘s recap on that:

‘Jana and Joy go for pedicures.’

Anyway, just caught up here (I forced myself - it wasn’t easy) and I am here to tell you that they are boring as fuck. Earth shattering news, I know. But, seriously.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Uhh, you're talking about the Modest Tin Man Monstrosity? I don't remember seeing his reaction, but I'm assuming he told her she was beautiful.

Thank goodness Boob isn't pursuing a side career as a women's clothing designer. He has no taste.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Uhh, you're talking about the Modest Tin Man Monstrosity? I don't remember seeing his reaction, but I'm assuming he told her she was beautiful.

If I recall correctly, JB said something like, "Oh, wow, Momma. That's a very, um, modest dress." :pb_lol: He seemed stuck for anything nice to say about it.

16 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I don’t know. I think there’s been more than that:

- Michelle and Jim Bob seemed to have genuinely mourned for Jubilee. So did Jill - out of all the kids she seemed most impacted by the loss because she had found the heartbeat shortly before they learned Jubilee had died. 

- Jill being legitimately scared to donate blood.

- Jana honestly not wanting to model the dress Jessa picked for her Bridesmaids. This remains one of my favorite scenes from the show because it was a genuine moment between sisters. 

- Jinger emotionally speaking during Benessa’s wedding rehearsal dinner.

- Jessa during birth (as you said.)

- Jill speaking about her worries prior to her second birth. 

- Joseph in general, but specifically when it comes to wanting to make Kendra happy. I think he’s just an honestly genuine person and what you see is what you get.

- Jill and Jessa’s interview with Megyn Kelly was terrible, but I do think those were genuine reactions they gave when discussing how being publicly outed as sexual assault victims affected them.

- Michelle angrily insisting on part of Jordyn’s name being included while giving birth to her... I think it was the “Grace” portion.

- Ben asking Jessa to marry him in the glass Church. 

- The Dills front hugging when Derick returned from Nepal. 

- Jill’s excitement during her pregnancy with Israel. 

I think part of it is that they’re trying to sell their lifestyle as being the best one and that can come across as awkward... but a big part is likely due to them just not being great actors. Some of the situations they’re filmed in are planned specifically for the show and that might make their reactions a bit less natural than they would be in more normal situations. 

Some of what you said refreshed my memory about certain things. I'm relieved that there are real emotions at times, if not, I'd be very worried. 

9 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

If I recall correctly, JB said something like, "Oh, wow, Momma. That's a very, um, modest dress." :pb_lol: He seemed stuck for anything nice to say about it.

That dress was awful. The colour, shape, style...nothing good to say about it

:crashh:

In this context, getting pedicures is not for the girls to relax, really... It's just to give them something to do while they have a stilted conversation about things they probably already discussed off-camera much more naturally. I notice it on a lot of reality TV (when I actually watch it, which isn't too often). On that MTV show 16 and Pregnant, for example, they always drag the girl's friends over and have them ask "How do you feel about being pregnant? Are you nervous? What did your parents say when you told them" and stuff like that when the girl's already several months pregnant and probably had these conversations with her friends ages ago. I'm sure while getting this pedi Jana is being told to ask Joy stuff she already knows the answer to. 

2 hours ago, TheMustardCardigan said:

In this context, getting pedicures is not for the girls to relax, really... It's just to give them something to do while they have a stilted conversation about things they probably already discussed off-camera much more naturally. I notice it on a lot of reality TV (when I actually watch it, which isn't too often). On that MTV show 16 and Pregnant, for example, they always drag the girl's friends over and have them ask "How do you feel about being pregnant? Are you nervous? What did your parents say when you told them" and stuff like that when the girl's already several months pregnant and probably had these conversations with her friends ages ago. I'm sure while getting this pedi Jana is being told to ask Joy stuff she already knows the answer to. 

Or like on the Hills when LC had a phone conversation about something that "just happened" only she had different colored nail polish on. 

2 hours ago, albanuadh_1 said:

Meant to say I really HOPE we aren't subjected to Kendra & Joe's pre-wedding....

Oh, we will be. 

Whether or not I'll watch is a different story. I still haven't watched the last two episodes of the last season. I just can't bring myself to do it. See, usually I put it on and do something else at the same time - colour, fold laundry, etc. - because it's too boring to just sit there and watch. But now it's become too boring even to watch while I do other things. It's bad enough we have to see the same wedding at least twice, then go back in time and watch all the excruciating preparations for it - it's even worse that TLC makes every single courtship, engagement, wedding and baby the same. Obviously it cuts costs and requires the least amount of work from them, but damn is it dull for the viewer.

I kinda dread the season where Joy is the focus with her pregnancy. She will be asked to pick out cribs or baby clothes; then she will have to say that she doesn't know what Austin likes and she will have to call him. It will be so stressful because Austin won't care and then what will Joy do? 

Honestly, I'd love to see Joy have an opinion again. What will happen is that she will have a homebirth because Jill and Jessa did. She will get certain things because Anna said so and Jana will ask her questions about mothering knowing that she has raised a gaggle of children. 

9 hours ago, Sky with diamonds said:

Some of what you said refreshed my memory about certain things. I'm relieved that there are real emotions at times, if not, I'd be very worried. 

That dress was awful. The colour, shape, style...nothing good to say about it

Reveal hidden contents

:crashh:

Yeah. I know people occasionally joke about how robotic they seem (or used to seem), but it’s inportant to remember they are actual humans with very real emotions. I imagine it has to be really weird playing yourself on a reality show - having to redo “scenes”, being fed ideas on what to say or how to react, having to relive experiences you’ve already had...

Oh! And one more real moment I remembered - Ben holding Henry right after he was born. Jana was trying to calm Ben as he was clearly panicking because that was the point that Jessa began to hemorrhage when Spurgeon was born. That was a raw and honest moment from Jana and Ben and just shows exactly how horrifying Jessa’s hemorrhage really was for him to witness. 

I find Joy really hard/sad to watch when I do watch the show. I find it really grating how she needs Austin's approval for everything. People who can't form their own opinion aren't ready to be married. At least in my book. Also frustrating, while I don't know Austin in real life, the show makes it seem like he doesn't really care. In the talking heads he seemed apathetic about most of the wedding details. I don't doubt he loves Joy but he seemed not very into the huge wedding. 

The way Joy acts around him makes her seem like a teenager who is super infatuated with her first boyfriend. Because she is a teenager with not a lot of life experience who is infatuated with her first boyfriend. I know a lot of people get married young and turn out alright but Joy reminds me of how I acted with my boyfriend when I was 14. Joy seems a lot younger then she is. At least on TV. Jessa/Jinger/ even Jill(Just a little bit. I notice some of the same stuff with Jill) seemed a little bit more mature when they got married. Not looking foreword to her pregnancy episodes. I am not sure if I can bring myself to watch.

24 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Oh! And one more real moment I remembered - Ben holding Henry right after he was born. Jana was trying to calm Ben as he was clearly panicking because that was the point that Jessa began to hemorrhage when Spurgeon was born. That was a raw and honest moment from Jana and Ben and just shows exactly how horrifying Jessa’s hemorrhage really was for him to witness. 

oh god, yes, that was really powerful. You could see he was in full visceral flashback mode. I was really moved by that, poor guy. I hope it laid a few ghosts to rest for him.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived