IGNORED

Worried I May Never Have Another Cat :(

purjolok84

On the surface it seems very small - my partner and I have been renting our first place for about 10 months and just had our 2nd house inspection. We didn't bring or ask to have a pet right away, hoping that if we were seen to be good tenants we would have a better chance.

We've been told by the real estate agent that most likely it will be no. Our landlord also owns the unit in front of ours and the carpet/floorboards had to be replaced after the previous tenants' two cats and dog ruined them (which was a surprise to us - we didn't know about the dog and saw only one cat). There's no point in saying that we're not like that - I don't know what the future holds or what temperament any cat I may adopt may have.

I just feel strangely lonely. I left behind two cats (one specifically that was 'mine') with my parents and I barely see them anymore, when before I used to have conversations and cuddles and arguments behind the bathroom door. I have an ongoing friendship with the ginger cat next door but I can't rely on other people's cats for affection all the time. I just don't know if what I'm feeling (other than horribly disappointed) is normal. :(

I feel bad for you.  I've also had pets most of my life, and now I'm in a position where it's not a good idea to get another now that we're pet free due to the untimely death of our last cat.  Getting interaction for other people's pets just doesn't cut it, does it?  Hopefully you'll eventually be able to move to a location where you can get a pet.  But I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the landlord if he or she would consider letting you have one if you provided a large deposit and let home inspections happen more frequently, and of course you'd have to choose your new cat carefully.  Probably won't happen, but it's worth a try.

That is a shame. I don't think it is abnormal to feel this loss. 

All of the rentals I had were strictly no pets, however I found that many of them let me have fish.

As you say it is no use saying that you are not like  your old neighbours. The landlords probably heard the same thing from them. I really can't blame landlords for not wanting pets in their properties, however it does make it hard on the lessees having to remain pet-less. 

I'm sorry. It's hard for pet people to live without a pet. 
Maybe you can have something else instead of a cat. A rodent or something.

That really does suck. We have 3 cats and a dog and I remember how hard it is trying to find a place to rent. We weren't sure we were ready to buy our house the last time we moved but I wasn't having any luck finding a rental that would take all 4 and I couldn't leave any of them behind. 

If they are flexible on other types of pet the rodent suggestion is a good one. I used to have pet rats that I absolutely adored. They are very sweet, intelligent, and affectionate animals. I'm very sad that I can't have pet rats now because all 4 of my monsters would try to eat them. 

I'm so sorry. It's always heartbreaking to hear that you cannot have a pet. :( My heart goes out to you. 

Thanks everyone for your kind words. We haven't heard back yet but I'm not expecting anything good. The laws in my state are currently in the midst of changing so that landlords need to have a really good reason for denying a tenant a pet (i.e. heritage-listed houses, rural areas etc), but it's not until next year so unfortunately it's not much help now.

I've thought about another kind of pet - I did want a rat for a while and my partner had mice when she was younger. But considering what the agent said about the previous tenants and their hidden pets, I doubt she would say yes to those. I just hate that either someone stupid has to ruin it for everyone or that there's no understanding that every situation is different.

Archived