IGNORED

Dillards 43: Tweeting for God

samurai_sarah

I'm speaking for me personally and I guess projecting onto Jill and this may be unpopular( please bear in mind I had some alcohol and had a really tough day where I was essentially the aide, secretary, nurse, and PT all I had was one other nurse and a student) Nursing is super hard. I have a personality where I have a hard time standing up for myself and my guilt complex is through the roof due to an overly controlling father that liked to blame me for everything. I grew up very religious (not as strict as Jill) and in a very controlled environment. There are so many days that I can barely stand nursing. I so want to help people, but the broken health care system and  buerocracy  have made it so hard to do my job, and when you add in the staffing shortage present in most hospitals it feels downright impossible and freaking depressing. I was a really good nurses aide and have been told by many people I am a good nurse, but I can feel myself getting hardened and I hate that I feel sucked dry and like I have nothing else to give. I'm 26 and have back pain, tendon problems in my foot, varicose veins, and have been having dizzy spells since I started nursing school. I don't think Jill could have made it through. She seems so sensitive, and if I feel like some days I'm barely keeping my head above water then I highly doubt she could too as she has little to no support system and I have an epic husband who keeps me going and reminds me that I have a good heart and helps me think positive.

Now on a slightly positive nurse so y'all don't think I'm insane. The moments of being a nurse when you have that breakthrough with someone are what I live for. I have had those patients who you know you touched and you see them improve and you know you saved someone, and the times a patient is physically saved people with CPR etc....

All I was trying to say is nursing has huge ups and downs and my vote is I don't think she could handle that.

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

I saw an article that said that if there's no gun control after Sandy Hook, there will probably never be gun control. Sadly, I agree.

There's PLENTY of gun control. There is NOT plenty of gun law enforcement.

Derick and his ilk are the ones who need Jesus, and I pray that they will have an awakening.

3 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

People are soinvested in their ideology of gun rights and their warped idea of freedom, that they don't care how many people die.

I saw an article that said that if there's no gun control after Sandy Hook, there will probably never be gun control. Sadly, I agree.

Yup. If 20 dead upper middle class white kids won't turn people, nothing will.

Did Jill ever complete those Spanish courses?

Could Jill get through nursing school? Probably. For her to buckle down and get through it seems highly unlikely unless something drastic happened. I don’t think it could happen with Derrick as her husband. I don’t see him minding those kids while she was at school. I imagine Jill coming home from a 12 hour shift and Derrick expecting aproper dinner from her, and of course she would do the dishes and fold laundry while soothing poor Derrick as he complains about his grueling day tweeting.

I used to be of the mentality that Jill would have been a great nurse and if only she had been given a chance. But I'm becoming less certain. 

I think that maybe she could get through nursing school, she did need to have some knowledge for her midwifery and that could be a not bad foundation. I think she would struggle but if she had the grit and the aptitude/ability to learn she might be fine. 

I'm just not sure about her personality, I can't see her being personable, non judgemental or supportive and really not calm under pressure. 

Unfortunately we will never know. 

The Gothard views on education for women are so awful. What struck me (especially after all of this discussion) was how radically different they are from Westboro Baptist. WBC is arguably so much worse in every other area BUT they actively encourage their youth (even females) to pursue higher education in fields like nursing and law (employable fields) (or at least that was my understanding from Lauren Drains memoir which I highly reccomend)

It's just so interesting to me how two ultra conservative sects can have such radically different ways of interpreting things.

ETA 

I am in NO way trying to advocate for, justify or support WBC. They are terrible, awful, hateful, bigoted. And I agree with the hate group designation that they have received. I'm strictly referring to their support for education and how that specific piece differs from Gothardism/IBLP

Derick Dillard: Constantly Clueless and Insensitive. 

When there's a mass shooting, you can play mass shooting bingo now. 

1. Is it a white man? Predict mass shooting, lone wolf, history of mental illness.

2. Predict that people like Derick Dillard will tweet insensitive things and bring Jesus into it for no known reason. 

3. There will be lots of talk about gun control and what to do about it. Nothing will change. 

4. People will tweet about praying for the victims and it will be big news for a few days, but then it will be largely forgotten. 

5. As long as Trump is president expect him to tweet about thoughts and prayers, likely make some stupid remark, and then go back to threatening war on someone. Reason quite possibly unknown. 

I'm sure people could add more. :( If the shooter is not white, add in a whole different set of rules for the various races. 

I'm curious to see if Derick brings up the persecuted Christians thing, because I'm sure it's his gut instinct, but this was a Christian on Christian crime in a church. I imagine as someone seeking the church leadership life this has got to be sobering for all of the son in laws.

@Carm_88 The largely forgotten part breaks my heart. Mr. C told me when I got out of the shower there had been a shooting and he'd been rabidly checking my facebook for safety check ins given I'm from San Antonio and a lot of our Baptist friends go to a church a bit out of city limits. I was in the wedding for one of the guys who was called in to help in the aftermath since he's a volunteer firefighter for that county, not sure how he's doing today since I've only spoken to his wife. He grew up six minutes from there. It doesn't just hit home, it is home. It's going on lockdown and not having class for two weeks in the aftermath of VT shooting all over again.

@SapphireSlytherin Most mass shootings are perpetrated with legally purchased guns and made more deadly by legally purchased accessories. If someone wants the thrill of shooting an "assault style" weapon, make them do it at the range under professional supervision, there's no reason for civilians to have them on hand. No reason for Stephen Paddock to have an arsenal of legal weapons. I'm trying to not obsess and wait until more information is out about Devin Kelley (the Texas shooter), but gun regulation in Texas is fast and loose.  There's not a minimum age to purchase ammo in Texas, so kids can buy it and do a bunch of stupid shit. Boil the bullet. Put a bullet in a roman candle to see what happens (yes I know someone who did that). It's about both gun control and gun enforcement. *Said with love, because my family has guns and are extremely responsible about them, but are very pro more gun control to prevent senseless deaths.

It won't change though and that's the frustrating part, so people will keep dying and we'll keep praying. *Not for the next great awakening, Derick, unless you mean Americans coming to their rational senses, uniting like you say we need more than ever and actually addressing the issue.

I think Jill could one day become a medical assistant and work in an office. Pretty much a medical assistant helps with charts, takes weight and blood pressure. Very basic but I see her being able to pull the training off. 

If she is lucky, her family size may be limited and might be free to do a lot more when she hits her late 30s. 

Derick on the other hand, I think there is very little hope. He should go back to being an  accountant and just work for a Christian organization. 

I do think there is always growth for people. 

15 hours ago, Ilovebrownies said:

Jill would never make it as a nurse.  She would have to see naked bodies, lots of penises, and be able to tolerate old men touching her breasts when getting a blood pressure, just to name a few.

This is, as I recall, the very reason why she was not allowed to pursue nursing as a career. She would see things that she "didn't need to see">.. well, a penis is just part of a body. If that particular penis needs to have a catheter inserted, the nurse must handle it, clean it, insert the catheter, and secure it. GEE. It could have been a nose. Could have done the same thing to a nose. Or a dressing on a foot. Once you take the sex out of it, and believe you me it's very easy to take the sex out of a penis in a hospital, it's JUST another body part. There is no sexual urge related to it. IF there is, there's something wrong with you. IF there is for the male patient, there are ways to ignore and reduce that response..

To the people who down voted the previous quote, for your information, old men, and some young me, touch breasts, asses, anything they think they can get away with, when a nurse is pressed up against them taking blood pressure, drawing blood, giving a bed bath. The intimacy of the setting seems to lend itself to men behaving badly. Again, the nurse can control and reduce this behavior, normally.  The men who require chemical sedation or restraint  can be pretty uninhibited.

ETA: Absent the Gothard=liness of her beliefs, I do think Jill, with a proper grounding, could have made it, and should have been allowed to try to make it as a nurse.

20 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

This is, as I recall, the very reason why she was not allowed to pursue nursing as a career. She would see things that she "didn't need to see">.. well, a penis is just part of a body. If that particular penis needs to have a catheter inserted, the nurse must handle it, clean it, insert the catheter, and secure it. GEE. It could have been a nose. Could have done the same thing to a nose. Or a dressing on a foot. Once you take the sex out of it, and believe you me it's very easy to take the sex out of a penis in a hospital, it's JUST another body part. There is no sexual urge related to it. IF there is, there's something wrong with you. IF there is for the male patient, there are ways to ignore and reduce that response..

To the people who down voted the previous quote, for your information, old men, and some young me, touch breasts, asses, anything they think they can get away with, when a nurse is pressed up against them taking blood pressure, drawing blood, giving a bed bath. The intimacy of the setting seems to lend itself to men behaving badly. Again, the nurse can control and reduce this behavior, normally.  The men who require chemical sedation or restraint  can be pretty uninhibited.

ETA: Absent the Gothard=liness of her beliefs, I do think Jill, with a proper grounding, could have made it, and should have been allowed to try to make it as a nurse.

Yes, patients do touch you, whether by accident or not.  I have been a nurse for 20 years.  As a nurse you see things and have to tolerate things Jill would never be able to handle with her beliefs.   I don't get the downvotes to my comment but don't care either.

17 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

<snip>

Wishy-washy White people who fund raise to go to Africa to start an orphanage burn my butt.  They have no idea that there are many people in Africa who have those skills, belong to that culture, know the ins-and-outs, but need the money to do just that.  They don't need some White asshole who thinks they can do better because they are white and "know" Jebus.

<snip

One of the reasons I joined a church and chose the one I did was because I wanted to support child welfare internationally, particularly in areas where children are being trafficked.  The model used by the organization I support is one where all homes in the network are run by locals, with ethnically similar parent/couples in charge each home.  Regional operations are also run by locals.  The US side of the equation is fundraising and consulting for what are now about 31 homes in south Asia.  I personally know the people who developed this project, and they're all about empowering the local population to do the work.  I was able to meet the regional directors when they came to the US for a fundraising effort.  Neither spoke English fluently. 

Did Jill actually say that she wanted to be a nurse or was it always her goal to be a midwife? I don’t know the terminology, but I understand that the best educated midwives are first trained as nurses. So the certification process for midwifery that she pursued skipped the nursing degree probably because Jill never wanted to work in a real clinical setting. She just wants to be a midwife for home births. Even though her certification seemed to get screwed up because of her mentor/trainer’s malpractice issues, it seems that Jill should still be able to re-do some of her training. Maybe it would be a better route for Jill to work as a doula. I could see her doing that at home births and hospital births. 

@Drala, that is the type of project that is well worth supporting.

My rant about white assholes thinking they are needed to start orphanages in Africa was provoked by people like the appalling Selina Bergey.  She's one of my favorite hate reads.  Speaking of her, I haven't checked in there lately to see how much cash they have raised for their stupid, arrogant, wasteful, patronizing idea. 

(No, I don't feel strongly about this.  Why do you ask? ;))

This woman I used to work with went to South Africa on a "mission trip" to an orphanage. Her only discernible skill is the ability to look really good when people take her picture. All she appeared to do is hold babies and act like she was amazing. I think she might have helped make bricks at some point. She is now raising money to go back because she is feeling "called" to go. :roll:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived