IGNORED

Jinger 32: Light into the Darkness According to Jeremy

Coconut Flan

I'm actually a deacon at my church and lead a group every Tuesday, so it's not uncommon in conversation with coworkers or friends for me to share things about a "friend from church" who started working at ____, or whatever. But I don't ever just straight up ask someone about if they have a church or not, it just comes up because it's an activity that I spend a lot of time on.

If I'm closer to someone and they share something about having a christian faith or saying that they wish they went to church somewhere but never found one they liked, then I have engaged that conversation. A co-worker once told me she wished they were involved in a church but it's hard because her son has aspergers and they were worried about him having trouble. I let her know how my church runs and gave her the info about times if she ever wanted to visit, then I suggested a couple bigger churches that might have speciifc programs for kids on the spectrum. She came for easter a couple times, but I never bother her about it. 

I think it's a delicate balance for me. I think part of a good friendship is having real conversations about your beliefs and background. So things like religion/faith are likely to come up in those relationships over time. The key for me is to just be honest about the motivations of my faith and my experiences while making it clear that the friendship isn't contingent upon us having the same beliefs. It's about respect for someone's worldview. I will pray for a friend going through a difficult time, but I'm not going to make sure they know that unless I know that it's something they would appreciate and find comforting. 

RE: JinJer music program... IDK, my guess (and hope) is the Christian part is fairly lowkey and obvious enough that people aren't hoodwinked. My faith motivates a lot of my charitable giving of money and time and I don't really think that's a bad thing. But I've been involved in a lot of Christian service organizations and they're usually not that preachy to those being served. The preachy-ness tends to be on the backend with staff/volunteers. 

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually impressed that JinJer are using their "celebrity" for an actual cause and not some BS fundie crap or something that benefits them in the end.  This is the first time we've seen any Duggar do ANYTHING to support actual existing children, rather than just spout ant choice rhetoric or fund their vacations.  Yes, the executive director is Diana Vuolo, so there is the familial connection, and they are still a "ministry" of sorts, but teaching children music and providing support where parental support fails is a noble pursuit.

The fact that they actually post their financials is already head and shoulders above the ridiculous "charity" the Dullards set up!

http://www.swan4kids.org/financial-reports/

I'm still not changing my avatar from the black box, but JinJer continue to be the least of the Duggar evils.

Where I am from no one would ask you what religion you are; they'd know you're Catholic. :pb_lol:

The only time I have been asked about my religion is from Mormons and Jehovah Witness', so people who annoy you by knocking on the door and asking about your personal relationship with Jesus. Answer like a good Catholic "I ate him today!" :P 

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

I'm actually impressed that JinJer are using their "celebrity" for an actual cause and not some BS fundie crap or something that benefits them in the end.  This is the first time we've seen any Duggar do ANYTHING to support actual existing children, rather than just spout ant choice rhetoric or fund their vacations.  Yes, the executive director is Diana Vuolo, so there is the familial connection, and they are still a "ministry" of sorts, but teaching children music and providing support where parental support fails is a noble pursuit.

SWAN's definitely plugging the connection to J&J ("TLC Celebrities"). They're apparently hosting a Facebook Live discussion with Diana Vuolo on Oct. 24, 7:30pm EDT on Jeremy's Facebook page. Might be interesting to see what they focus on in the conversation.

http://www.swan4kids.org/newsroom/tlc-celebrities-jeremy-jinger-promote-swan/

7 hours ago, clueliss said:

Why, he asked

Wow, that's a little invasive. 

I just find any talk of religion with folk you don't know weird (apart from what we do here, although that's kind of weird too). I have never in 47 yrs been asked what church I go to. I don't know if it's an Australian thing, or if I have just been lucky. Perhaps I just look like I don't go.

The closest I have come was at my wedding party (we got married in the courthouse and then had a party /bbq a few weeks later) and somebody mentioned the next time they would all be together was at the christening, I was very pregnant. I said something along the lines of god no, there isn't going to be a christening. My sister came up to me later and said my new sister-in-law did a massive pearl clutch when I said that and actually took a step back. 

1 hour ago, metheglyn said:

SWAN's definitely plugging the connection to J&J ("TLC Celebrities"). They're apparently hosting a Facebook Live discussion with Diana Vuolo on Oct. 24, 7:30pm EDT on Jeremy's Facebook page. Might be interesting to see what they focus on in the conversation.

http://www.swan4kids.org/newsroom/tlc-celebrities-jeremy-jinger-promote-swan/

Let me guess, there will be several questions about whether JInger is pregnant, lots of other people begging her to follow their instagram, and lots more saying that they love them.

40 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Answer like a good Catholic "I ate him today!" :P 

Can I say, "I drank his blood," instead? :devilish:

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

Please do. And also:  please video it.

3 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

. Answer like a good Catholic "I ate him today!" :P 

35 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Or be deliberately vague, "I took him within myself today"...... bwahahahaha!

Next time somebody asks me about my religion I’m tempted to say “hallowed are the ori” and tell them I follow the book or origin.

My sister just moved to TN and when her husband moved in (she was still in IA waiting for their son to finish his last week of school) their next door neighbor came over introduced herself and was talking to him and, of course she asked "where do you go to church?" My BIL was taken aback, and looked at her and said "I don't" she start to invite them to their church and he stopped her and said "I'm an agnostic", hoping that would scare her off, and it did. LOL! My sister said the neighbors have never ONCE said hi to them talked or anything. But the rest of the neighbors are fine. 

8 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Meanwhile Baaabe is preaching this...https://www.inquisitr.com/4556737/jinger-duggars-husband-jeremy-vuolo-compares-lgbt-acceptance-to-a-gun/

A little ironic, as Duggars are very anti-gun control.

D48D0F14-8F13-41EA-BBF5-23B01409D0B4.thumb.png.3c55e9906f7884179e925f0cadfbb02a.png

Screenshot from the article. 

Apparently, tolerance is wrong and gay people can’t actually love each other. So yeah... once again, Jeremy is proving he’s a pretty horrible human being. Too bad he doesn’t do it on Twitter and draw negative attention to the family like Derick does.

Where I live (UK) if someone asked out of the blue what church you went to - they'd be looked at askance and probably considered one of the local weirdos.

Not many people under 60 go to church. For the most part, those under 60 who do go, know it's an intrusive question and none of their business.

We nearly moved to a Southern US state a few years ago - I'm SO glad that didn't work out, now.

A gay person very dear to me committed suicide this summer. We don't embrace them because we have a gun to our head. We embrace them because they are part of our souls. 

I promise you, Jeremy, one day someone very close to you will be gay and it will change everything. 

In the meantime, go find other windmills to chase...

18 minutes ago, Fjrocks said:

A gay person very dear to me committed suicide this summer. We don't embrace them because we have a gun to our head. We embrace them because they are part of our souls. 

I promise you, Jeremy, one day someone very close to you will be gay and it will change everything. 

Jeremy's point was actually that the clergy was caving into "popular culture's" views about LGBTQ+ issues, and that said clergy wouldn't dare disparage them unless there was a gun held to their head (or a noose around their necks). 

But thanks for telling everyone how YOU feel about these human beings, Jeremy. He's just another Duggar in better tailored clothing. 

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

Jeremy's point was actually that the clergy was caving into "popular culture's" views about LGBTQ+ issues, and that said clergy wouldn't dare disparage them unless there was a gun held to their head (or a noose around their necks). 

Jeremy is not the clearest speaker, but I read him as saying societal pressure to accept LGBT people was the gun to the head, noose around the neck, threat to burn them alive, and what stops clergy being hateful.

Which is just massively offensive, but also symptomatic of USA Christians in the South feeling like they know what it's like to be persecuted.   Want to know societal pressure, Jeremy?  Try coming out as gay, knowing it means your family might cut you off.  Or that you'll have services denied you, or you'll be abused. 

I'm really lucky, my family accepted me, but I didn't know they would be when I told them I am gay, and I've got friends who weren't as lucky.  And given the amount of homophobic violence there still is out there, I'm bloody angry that some privileged straight white dude can pretend that it's the homophobes who are being physically threatened.  Go fuck yourself, Jeremy.

We bought our house this summer and my husband was the first to meet neighbors to the right of us (I met everyone else first, it seems!). The husband/father promptly asked S what church we go to. Apparently the neighbor is very involved in his church and studying to be a pastor. We were also invited to their once-a-month Bible Studies. While I wouldn't mind the incredible Indian food they mentioned having, we've been conveniently busy.

I've been tempted to say we go to the church of conservation, environment, and wildlife. Aka the Zoo, where we both volunteer and spend many a weekend morning (much to my night-owl needing to sleep in chagrin!). I'm of the belief that we need to take care of our home and the other amazing beings that share it first, and then worry about (potentially imaginary) sky-beings. 

He keeps referencing the Sexual Revolution over and over which leads me to believe he is just another crappy Duggar with quite a bit more broadly defined targets than just LGBTQ. The Sexual Revolution was about a lot of things affecting straight people as well - the acceptance of extramarital sex, contraception (pill and other forms), legalization of abortion, and other issues underlying women's liberation. So yes, he is as gross as the rest of them, it's just that he is clearly better educated, better read, more eloquent and more successful at putting lipstick on a pig.

15 hours ago, Fjrocks said:

I am so, so sorry for your loss. We lost my Aunt to suicide almost 25 years ago - it changes you forever to lose someone like that.

I hope you and all this person’s loved ones are able to find peace and healing with time. I don’t know what happens when we die, but I hope your friend has found peace as well. :romance-caress:

I can't even imagining what a Swede would say if someone just out of the blue asked which church they go to. Most people don't go to church and those who do would probably be self-conscious about their appearence unless they were wear a cross (Do I look so Christian people randomly ask me about my religion in the streets?"). I am a Christian myself and while I don't wear a cross most of the time I often wear one of these: http://www.rukoushelmet.net/English.htm. Most people who wear them are part of the same church as I am, the Swedish Church so most other Christians would probably word the question more along the lines of "You are part of the Swedish Church, right?" and most non-Christians assume it is something my kid made in preschool. 

I'm originally from Los Angeles and loved all the different religions that are represented. Just among the people I worked with there were folks who practiced Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Muslim faith, Wicca, and a local religion that worshiped an alien overload and practices free love. There were of course many people who also identified as spiritual, agnostic, or atheist.

I now live in North Carolina and I don't think it will ever fail to weird me out when someone asks what church I attend (always with the assumption that I am Protestant Christian). The variety in values and belief systems is part of what make humans so awesome! We shouldn't all fit in one box. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived