IGNORED

Jinger 32: Light into the Darkness According to Jeremy

Coconut Flan

We used to say the same thing about where I lived, Corby. Usually said when I'm gorging on lovely greasy fish and chips with lashings of vinegar.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I'd like to volunteer to convert the heathen lobsters of New England. And the maple syrup. And the clam chowda.

when I went to Nantucket in 2011 they had lobster dinners at the shelters that I drove by 

3 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Which, of course, means something will likely happen with the Duggars. It seems like something is announced every time you leave the country. :pb_lol:

Ooh, maybe if @SassyPants is out of the country, Dwreck will have some scandal uncovered!  I'm crossing my fingers. He's due to get knocked off that high horse.

Jeremy the Puritan is the best.  Thank you forever for that image.  Sounds like he's getting into John Winthrop & concepts of shining cities upon hills.  Yay.  Another opportunity to rewrite and whitewash history, as if fundies needed another chance to do that. :pb_rollseyes:

20 minutes ago, keen23 said:

The Puritans were dicks.

Rhode Island was founded as a place to escape from the Puritans.

The Ocean State ROCKS... disclaimer:  I lived in Providence until I was 12.

Representing the Nantucket Quakers over here! I mean, I've never been anywhere near Nantucket and my ancestor got kicked out of the Quakers in the 1700s, but still. Proudly representing them now, and they can't stop me. :pb_lol:

Does nobody else peep the light shade that Jinger threw at her husband in that caption? 

I wonder how many comments she makes that poke light fun at him. I wonder how much of it goes over his head. 

Also, I'm glad Jeremy posts his books, articles and sermons on social media. It reminds us  that some of his fundamental beliefs are pretty nuts (and at times, dangerous)

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Representing the Nantucket Quakers over here! I mean, I've never been anywhere near Nantucket and my ancestor got kicked out of the Quakers in the 1700s, but still. Proudly representing them now, and they can't stop me. :pb_lol:

Ha! I was just going to post my ancestor got kicked out of them too. Before then he was kicked out of the Puritans. That seemed to be how my mother's family rolled when it came to churches. They always seemed to get kicked or asked to leave.

4 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Ha! I was just going to post my ancestor got kicked out of them too. Before then he was kicked out of the Puritans. That seemed to be how my mother's family rolled when it came to churches. They always seemed to get kicked or asked to leave.

LOL! Okay, he's got mine beat! Dare I ask how he got kicked out of the Quakers and the Puritans? Because my ancestor got kicked out of the Quakers after starting a fire that burned down half of Nantucket and swinging from a flagpole naked, shouting, "Burn baby burn!!!!!"

j/k he got kicked out for marrying a non-Quaker.

47 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

LOL! Okay, he's got mine beat! Dare I ask how he got kicked out of the Quakers and the Puritans? Because my ancestor got kicked out of the Quakers after starting a fire that burned down half of Nantucket and swinging from a flagpole naked, shouting, "Burn baby burn!!!!!"

j/k he got kicked out for marrying a non-Quaker.

Ha! I wish I could say he got booted for anything that exciting. He got booted by the Puritans for ask questioning Scripture. He believed in God but had questions. The Puritans don't like questions. He joined the Quakers and got booted for being too friendly to Native Americans. He did business with them and occasionally some stayed with him and his family. He didn't think it was anything different then doing business with anyone else. He never thought anything of it or letting them stay with his family. They had several different friends staying with them from time to time, and he didn't see how it was any different. But the Quakers disagreed and booted him out. Those traits seem to have been passed down through the family. Your ancestor had a much better story. That's just awesome.

3 minutes ago, JordynDarby5 said:

Your ancestor had a much better story. That's just awesome.

Only because I made it up completely - see my last line, ahaha. He got kicked out for the extremely boring reason that he married a non-Quaker. Although according to family lore it's a tad more exciting, he was on a whaling vessel and refused to engage in some shady tax evasion scheme due to his Quaker ethics, so the captain marooned him on the east coast of Quebec. I guess he liked it there, because he got married and settled down, and once the Quakers realized where he was and who he'd married, they booted him, lol. I think they would've let him back in if he'd repented and his wife had become a Quaker, but there were no other Quakers up there and he seemed perfectly content to be an Anglican.

Just adding my two cents about asking what church someone goes to.  I feel like it's fairly common for the Greek community here to ask other Greek people what church they go to.  Chances are that the other Greek person is also Orthodox and would know a friend/relative/etc of the first person who goes to the same parish!

I’ve only been asked a few times if we’ve found a church home. The answer “not yet” usually is enough they just don’t know that it’s because we haven’t looked and don’t plan on it. For other general conversations I found that smiling and nodding is sometimes the best response. For example: in a conversation about the weather; I say “ I’m glad it’s warm today since it’s been cold lately”. Neighbor says “yeah I think god gives us these occasional warm days since he knows we southerners can’t handle the cold” me: smiles and nods. Then I attempt to change he subjects. 

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Jinger looks like a hostage in that photo.

It's the green shirt. lol

Re: the asking “What Church do you go to?”

That doesn’t happen around here (Jersey shore area), but I think it’s more because everyone just assumes everyone else is Catholic.  I am not a religious person, wasn’t raised to be.  My husband was raised to be religious when it’s convenient.  I allowed him to have our kids baptized, but we both agreed that’s where it stops and that if they decide to pursue religion when they’re old enough to make the choice for themselves, we would be okay with that.  But some people don’t get it.  So when my kids aren’t missing practices, games, etc to go to CCD or make their sacraments, we get odd looks.  I once had a father say to me “Oh, they don’t do that in your religion?” referring to the first holy communion.  I was so shocked that someone could be so intrusive, I just sat there dumbfounded. I wish I could go back and ask “And what religion are you assuming I am?”

We were asked constantly about church when we lived in small town Arkansas. It was annoying, but worse when the so-called Christians at Oldest Wolfie's school were physically violent toward her and nothing was done. Now that we live in the Midwest nobody cares except one of her friend's parents who are super fundie. He hangs out with her anyway! We are looking forward to Halloween, no Bible verses attached to the candy!!

I remember the "what church do you go to" (if any) question coming up when I was in high school, but only with kids I already knew, not people I had just met. As an adult, I don't get asked very much. I think that because we have a divide here between LDS and non-LDS folks, most people wait for a clue that the other person has beliefs they're familiar with before they ask. For example, if someone mentions taking their kids to Vacation Bible School or AWANA, I might ask what church they attend. I'm not as familiar with LDS youth programs, so any mentions there might sail right over my head.

We're also getting more diversity in our population as we grow, so that's really cool to see. :)

One of my bosses stopped asking me this question when my response was I stopped going.  Why, he asked.  Because I was back and forth taking care of my mom every weekend for a year and exhausted.  The response sort of ended said conversation.  

We were the rude, crass northerners that don't even talk to our neighbors when we move :pb_lol: we were living in a townhouse for five years before my grandmother visited us from Florida, started talking to our neighbors, and found out we were actually distantly related to them!

I grew up in Manhattan.  Almost everyone I knew Catholic, and your home parish  was defined by your address.  My parents had friends that were of other religions, but no one ever asked.

My first full time job in the 70’s had a home office in North Carolina and it was very odd to me to see office memos announcing that Mr. ABC was a Deacon at his Southern Baptist congregation.    A later job had the management change due to a corporate buyout and move from NYC to Cinncinatti and the same religious announcement were made in the corporate structure memos.

I grew up in the Bible Belt - super Southern Protestant upbringing. One Catholic church for our entire four-county area.

I moved to the highly Catholic Midwest and am still - to this day - decades later - absolutely stunned at the number of Catholic churches in this city. One on every corner. And the restaurants that only offer fish during Lent, and churches having Friday Fish-Fries during Lent, and nuns everywhere... lol

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived