IGNORED

Duggars by the Dozen 31: Dicky Duggars Do Damage

samurai_sarah

9 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

I rather idly wonder how the Duggars feel about this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-5204505/Ultra-Orthodox-gran-42-gives-birth-20TH-child.html

A Jewish Orthodox woman gave birth to her 20th child.

P.S.: Chances are that the Duggars don't care...

And she's 42 so this might not be her last!

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Not only would Michelle be offended I think she might also feel very superior on how much more 'Godly' she is in her leggings and long skirt on the beach.  Also, what is Jim Bob doing?  Did he suddenly look down at his Nikes and run away?

He was there. The girl uploaded the pic of jb and Michelle. I wonder if JB refused to put his arm around her or some shit and she asked if she could take a picture of the 2 of them

2ACD96CA-10F2-43E5-BDDB-0E9E0B983968.jpeg

7 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

I rather idly wonder how the Duggars feel about this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-5204505/Ultra-Orthodox-gran-42-gives-birth-20TH-child.html

A Jewish Orthodox woman gave birth to her 20th child.

P.S.: Chances are that the Duggars don't care...

The woman survived all those childbirths in the 18th century? She must have been the strongest woman on earth.  I wonder how many of the babies lived? How did they feed all of them or remember the names?

If Michelle finds out about either of these women I thinking she might feel some envy, and then feel guilty of feeling envy in the first place.

2 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I’m pretty sure I saw the Dills on the couch when the camera panned over. Joe and Kendra were there too. I don’t think Benessa or JoStin were there (or they may have stayed off camera), but I don’t think that’s abnormal at this point. There are so many people in that family now that there are bound to be scheduling conflicts at some point. 

Jostin were there. There was a picture of the December "babies" that included Jordyn, Josie, and Austin. It's from the same day; Jordyn is in the birthday dress. 

WHY WHY WHY  the beach?  They aren't covered from neck to knees they are covered from neck to toes ON THE BEACH can't they even go barefoot or wear flipflops? We know their kids don't wear shoes, or didn't.  Go to the mountains a ski resort, everyone is covered from head to toe not chance of a NIKE accident there. 

57 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

WHY WHY WHY  the beach?  They aren't covered from neck to knees they are covered from neck to toes ON THE BEACH can't they even go barefoot or wear flipflops? We know their kids don't wear shoes, or didn't.  Go to the mountains a ski resort, everyone is covered from head to toe not chance of a NIKE accident there. 

You say this but on BuB they went to a ski resort and despite being covered head to toe in puffy winter ski gear, they still had skirts on OVER this.

Because everyone needs to know your a fundie woman at a ski resort so when you fall over they know to avert their eyes from your heavily padded and highly covered body.

Spoiler

bringing-up-bates-episode-512-gallery-18.thumb.jpg.d9cb7d723b2cf7f939be04598a998e05.jpgbringing-up-bates-episode-512-gallery-17.thumb.jpg.efba096d3da6a34beac5387c4c2dd330.jpg

1 hour ago, Kangaroo said:

You say this but on BuB they went to a ski resort and despite being covered head to toe in puffy winter ski gear, they still had skirts on OVER this.

Because everyone needs to know your a fundie woman at a ski resort so when you fall over they know to avert their eyes from your heavily padded and highly covered body.

I remember seeing black and white pictures of women skiing on the old big, wooden skis wearing ankle length skirts. (I saw the pics when I was visiting a ski resort town.) It looked freaking nuts. Especially considering that there may not have been a ski lift, so they would have had to get up the hill without any help. :shakehead:

2 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I remember seeing black and white pictures of women skiing on the old big, wooden skis wearing ankle length skirts. (I saw the pics when I was visiting a ski resort town.) It looked freaking nuts. Especially considering that there may not have been a ski lift, so they would have had to get up the hill without any help. :shakehead:

as a snowboarder, I cannot imagine anything more dangerous than a skirt on most parts of the slope. I just imagine them getting stuck on the lift somehow. Just the limited range of motion due to the excessive layering...and I don't care if they say they can do anything in a skirt. I mean, even Jana mentioned that when they did their firefighter volunteering that they don't wear skirts then. 

I found a few pics doing a Google search, but I doubt any of these are the exact photo I remember. Close enough, though. 

Spoiler

images.jpg.c96424e797d987b720313f2eee57b497.jpg

Spoiler

2017-12-22-23-59-41-.jpg.189ab450b8a30fcc622c6e391d2d27cb.jpg

Spoiler

821351_106203-skihistory3.thumb.jpg.03b6988d776ac2ee6fa60fd24421f789.jpg

So, slightly shorter than ankle length.

and for those people in life that like to say, "people did this back in the day all the time..." ....well, we also used to die of all kinds of illnesses that we have medicines and vaccinations for nowadays. Times change, eh? 

( @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? I do love me some vintage snow sports pictures though. Beauty finds!)

I can't snark on Michelle's shoes, even at the beach.  She very likely isn't comfortable in anything else.  I have to wear orthopedic inserts in my shoes, which limits my shoe choice, and I'm 15 years younger than her with no kids -- I can't imagine what all those pregnancies might do to someone's arches. 

It's true that her outfit isn't normally what I would consider beach attire, but I don't think she's wearing nylons -- to me it looks more like socks paired with black leggings. I'm not sure why she wouldn't go for a short-sleeve shirt, at least -- it must have been warm there, since all the people on the beach aren't wearing much. 

At first I was surprised she would pose with the girl wearing the NIKE outfit, but I bet she makes an effort to be much less patronizing and judgmental in person than on the show.  There was one poster here who met her a little bit ago, and said she was actually really sweet in person.  I'm sure she wants to encourage fans and she probably thinks the godly thing to do is to meet them where they are instead of coming off as judgy and prudish, even if she does strongly disapprove of an outfit. That said, I don't think JB would have taken a picture with that woman, since that would have been encouraging Satan and temptation to enter his heart. 

Please don't think I'm defending Michelle -- she's a terrible parent and I'm horrified by her anti-trans robocalls (not to mention the way she and JB dealt with Josh). But she and JB are no idiots and know not to be personally rude to fans if they want the money to keep coming in, and I do think she probably believes she's being christlike by "encouraging" a sinful bathing-suit-clad woman. 

For the sake of equal opportunity snarking, Jim Bob's attire is equally beach-inappropriate. Perhaps they were out for a walk and happened to end up at the beach, so weren't dressed for it? Although typically I think most people in that situation would remove shoes, at least... We know Michelle has WholesomeWear, as she wore it waterskiing (with the knees blocked for modesty, of course!).

Michelle and Jim Bob look ridiculous. It makes them stand out like a sore thumb. 

I admit, I kind of wish I knew the brand of footwear Michelle wears. Not to snark at her for wearing it, but foot problems are not fun. I have yet to find a good pair.

21 hours ago, onekidanddone said:

Not only would Michelle be offended I think she might also feel very superior on how much more 'Godly' she is in her leggings and long skirt on the beach.  Also, what is Jim Bob doing?  Did he suddenly look down at his Nikes and run away?

He probably ran back to the hotel to get pearls for Michelle to clutch since that woman’s outfit is so “revealing”.

I'm realizing they are less defrauding in poofy snowgear. I vote that all fundies should from here on wear puffer coats and snowpants and look like the Michelin man anything less may cause me to stumble. I think looking like a marshmallow is most holy.

Michelle babbles about how cheap her nine year old daughter's dress was on the poor kid's birthday and then jets off on an expensive vacation. Who does that?  I don't know it just ticked me off. 

19 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

as a snowboarder, I cannot imagine anything more dangerous than a skirt on most parts of the slope. I just imagine them getting stuck on the lift somehow. Just the limited range of motion due to the excessive layering...and I don't care if they say they can do anything in a skirt. I mean, even Jana mentioned that when they did their firefighter volunteering that they don't wear skirts then. 

Agree with you in principle, but would add that if you look at the pics that @WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? posted, they all show women on touring skis, or Telemark skis. Touring skis - for those unfamiliar with them- are the kind that you use for backcountry skiing, allowing you to go up a hill, as well as down a slope. They are rather slower going down the piste than modern skis, and require a different technique.

Going slower, plus the technique actually make it possible to ski in a skirt that doesn't sweep the floor. Basically, when going downhill, you all but kneel down on one knee, and switch knees as you serpentine your way down at a rather slower speed than any modern day skis. With the kind of old-fashioned skis the ladies in the pics have, you wind up traversing your way down, perpendicular to the slope. Sorry, for not explaining this very well, I only gave it a shot once (minus skirts) - ages ago- , and found it too tiresome.

In any case, the fact that it is possible in a skirt does never mean that anyone should do it! After all, it is very possible to ride a bike or a horse without a helmet. It's very possible to drive a car without putting on a seat-belt. But that doesn't mean anyone should do it! Health and safety first!

Apologies for being a know-it-all. :)

Personally I find the pics of skirts over ski gear ridiculous and more evidence that skirts have zero to do with modesty. It's a status symbol of fundie women so they never forget they are just wimminfolk and don't harbour silly ideas in their pretty heads.

As for being a safety hazard those skirts are well above the knee so as long as they don't take a skilift (and nowadays most slopes have chairlifts or cablesomething cars, on the Alps at least, dunno in the US) there are no safety problems. Even better if they were snowboarding, cos on the board you tie your feet parallel to each other and have zero need to move your legs independently. Snowboarders often wear very slouchy gear with long jackets and pants that are quite low in the middle like hammer pants.

Spoiler

IMG_20171224_090847.png.eed565fc348fd928bccda9641f480c88.pngIMG_20171224_090818.png.948d8184f3af0a4ac31616258e002991.pngIMG_20171224_090756.png.eeb3b071979abb1e1f1fc305771be314.png

ETA an observation similar to thebe one @samurai_sarah made about the skis used by the women in the historical picture, can be made about the Bateseses women too. From the pics it's clear that they are using modern carving skis that are shorter, larger and rounder pointed than the classic ones (the ones that were common in the nineties and difficult to find now) and MUCH easier to use (a bit too much probably as people can easily feel a prowess that isn't really there to much detriment of knees and various body parts). The ease of use makes the need for the acrobatics needed for the old skis superfluous. They turn with the slightest change of pressure (no need for little jumps) and the top speed they can reach is much lower. All in all they are much safer to use if you keep realistic expectations and awareness of your prowess (or lack of).

To make a comparison here is a slalom race won by Alberto Tomba in 1994. 

And here is Marcel Hirscher yesterday's victory in the Madonna di Campiglio slalom. Both are champions of undiscussed value. But their skis are very different as are their skiing styles of course. In the clips you can see they makeare a similar mistake and yet Hirscher's carving skis make the mistake appear a lot less of consequence. http://video.gazzetta.it/slalom-madonna-campiglio-hirscher-fa-capolavoro/7b370976-e7ca-11e7-afe5-292d2fa18b9e 

hahaha, yes some snowboarders wear baggy clothes...about 10-15 years ago. The overwhelming majority of snowboarders today (pro and amateur) wear mid to snug fitting gear. Again, as already discussed this does not matter as much as both feet are strapped to one board. I just remembered seeing pictures of fundies in long ski pants material skirts OVER a pair of ski pants, on skis, on the slopes, and I maintain that those excessive layers would have to limit someones range of motion. Even just thinking of wearing two pairs of snowboard or ski pants...you'd be like the Michelin man teehee. Anyway, I don't see why this would be any reason to argue or anything. It was simply my observation on the heavy fabric layering and range of motion slightly based on my own experience. that's all :)

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate, by the way :)

51 minutes ago, MakeItSo said:

hahaha, yes some snowboarders wear baggy clothes...about 10-15 years ago. The overwhelming majority of snowboarders today (pro and amateur) wear mid to snug fitting gear. Again, as already discussed this does not matter as much as both feet are strapped to one board. I just remembered seeing pictures of fundies in long ski pants material skirts OVER a pair of ski pants, on skis, on the slopes, and I maintain that those excessive layers would have to limit someones range of motion. Even just thinking of wearing two pairs of snowboard or ski pants...you'd be like the Michelin man teehee. Anyway, I don't see why this would be any reason to argue or anything. It was simply my observation on the heavy fabric layering and range of motion slightly based on my own experience. that's all :)

Happy Holidays! :)

Skirts over skiing gear are superfluous, I agree.  From what little I know about snowboarding - I'm a skier, Mr samurai_sarah is a snowboarder- snowboarding lends itself to a variety of different clothing choices. So do modern carving skis.

I learned skiing on old-fashioned skis, where you had to jump to turn. Bloody health hazard, and worse when restricted by a skirt. Carving skis require very little movement, so skiing in a skirt wouldn't be such an issue.

The issue with skirts, as you pointed out, would be the lack of freedom of movement, and the potential dangers when using ski-lifts, as @laPapessaGiovanna clarified.

REaching way back into my memory to when 19 Kids and Counting went skiing episode aired.... I'm thinking the *Duggars* wore ski pants, (b/c I remember one of my kids saying "You can't ski in a skirt... right?" and wondering if they would wear ski pants and then we watched and they did except maybe Anna?? 

The Bates episode of skiing was the one where they wore skirts over their ski pants right?  Or am I crazy?  That pic upthread is of the Bates I think.  

I do remember thinking (on the Duggars) that I was glad they had seen the safety issue and worn ski pants (which are perfectly modest, for goodness sake).  

4 hours ago, MakeItSo said:

I only objected to you saying that the skirts over pants as worn by the Bateses in the pictures above are a safety hazard. They are not, with the notable exception of taking a skilift.

I am a skier but I have snowboarder friends and their still love to wear extra long jackets to go outside of the slopes in what they call "fuoripista" and I call "looking for an avalanche", simply because extra layers over your bottom will keep you dry when you sit on the fresh snow and if you fall doing acrobatics  there are less chances of snow finding its way up your back. Being all wet on the snow especially in a cold, cloudy and windy day isn't funny at all.

5 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

I only objected to you saying that the skirts over pants as worn by the Bateses in the pictures above are a safety hazard. They are not, with the notable exception of taking a skilift.

I am a skier but I have snowboarder friends and their still love to wear extra long jackets to go outside of the slopes in what they call "fuoripista" and I call "looking for an avalanche", simply because extra layers over your bottom will keep you dry when you sit on the fresh snow and if you fall doing acrobatics  there are less chances of snow finding its way up your back. Being all wet on the snow especially in a cold, cloudy and windy day isn't funny at all.

In my original post I also mentioned that the ski lift would be one of the major places I would see it being dangerous, so I guess I don't understand why you disagreed with me. Anyway, it's really not that serious. I guess Europe is very different from North America. I ride at least two days every week during the season and very rarely do I still see people with baggy clothing. My friends and me, too, go backcountry riding and we wear Goretex pants and jackets. No need to layer 50 pairs of pants. One very efficient (and expensive) outter layer does the trick. We do wear base layers (which come in light, midweight, heavy depending on the weather). 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived