IGNORED

Safe at Home (Arndts) 3: No penguins were harmed in the making of this thread

samurai_sarah

12 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Actually, sadder than Rick and Cathy not having grandchildren, it's the fact that their kids' potential is being completely squashed all for their parents' needs.

Dropping by very briefly and I have to comment: isn’t this the case with 90% of the families we’ve followed? We’re learning such sad details about the Jeubs’ narcissism, the Duggars are the standard for a woman who craves the attention of Being pregnant or nursing, and a man who has found a way to monetize many offspring, and countless other, lesser lights [sic] who’ve had huge families and then  hobbled those children to prop up their own reputations in their fundamentalist sub-community.  Servens, Thomases, Phillips, ad nauseum...

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Dropping by very briefly and I have to comment: isn’t this the case with 90% of the families we’ve followed? 

Yes, it is standard. However, the vast majority of these families do let their children leave the nest. They don't keep them safe at home forever. 

2 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

Dropping by very briefly and I have to comment: isn’t this the case with 90% of the families we’ve followed? We’re learning such sad details about the Jeubs’ narcissism, the Duggars are the standard for a woman who craves the attention of Being pregnant or nursing, and a man who has found a way to monetize many offspring, and countless other, lesser lights [sic] who’ve had huge families and then  hobbled those children to prop up their own reputations in their fundamentalist sub-community.  Servens, Thomases, Phillips, ad nauseum...

Unfortunately, yes, fundie parents hobbling their children for their own benefit, be it personally, financially and/or for their standing in the wider community is an all too common theme, more the rule than the exception.   While the Arndts are different in a number of ways from many of the fundie families we talk about here, this one common theme still applies to them and perhaps even more strongly because they have managed to keep all 14 kids still at home with the oldest one pushing 40.     

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this since the famteam website seems to have undergone a huge overhaul.

They posted Wizzy's 21st birthday photo!  I'll give you one guess as to which room in the house the photo was taken.  :pb_glasses:

Okay so I sat down and watched the Vine Valley trailer: http://www.famteam.com/vine-valley-movie/

I have a few questions.

• Spoiler

• Why is there so much terrible falling over?
    • Why are people intermittently in period costume?
    • What the hell is Greene's Prescription, and why is Rick shilling it?
    • Why are people suddenly playing softball? Where did the snow go?
    • Why is Jude's telephoto lens in such an... unfortunate position?
    • Is the beefy guy in the forest trying to be Jesus? Was Jesus actually that beefy?
    • Why is Cathy delivering a picnic basket to third base?
    • Why is Rick scrubbing a pumpkin in the bath?
    • Why did I waste three and a half minutes of my life watching this thing???????

I can't tell if this is some kind of extended advert for their home region, a bizarre retelling of Pilgrim's Progress, or a softball buddy film gone horribly, horribly wrong.

I just watched it.... and had some of the same questions!  I have watched many, many trailers, and most of them seem to "tell the story" of said movie.... this one... well, I was left confused and a little sad.

1 hour ago, MarblesMom said:

I just watched it.... and had some of the same questions!  I have watched many, many trailers, and most of them seem to "tell the story" of said movie.... this one... well, I was left confused and a little sad.

It did come out of the often confused mind of Rick Arndt. He can't seem to stay on topic ever! 

WTF was that?! My favorite part was the two guys sitting in the woods while the other guy falls while carrying wood. Is falling a vital part of the plot because they seem to fall down a lot. 

The country side is beautiful though. It could be a trailer selling holidays  through out the year for the tourist board. 

I hadn't gone over to Fam Team in a while.  I see Rick is still a right wing moron.  

15 hours ago, Cactus said:

What the hell is Greene's Prescription, and why is Rick shilling it?

If I remember correctly it is a book his character wrote about being an atheist. 

So I'm guessing Rick comes to Vine Valley, meets Cathy, and helps coach her softball league, and learns about Jesus through softball. 

There's no sign of Wizzy in there anywhere. There's one young woman for a moment and the other two women are Cathy and some Amish (I think?) lady. Makes sense, I suppose - young women don't really figure in Arndt theology. 

15 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

There's no sign of Wizzy in there anywhere. There's one young woman for a moment and the other two women are Cathy and some Amish (I think?) lady. Makes sense, I suppose - young women don't really figure in Arndt theology. 

Wizzy definitely appears in the flashbacks or whatever they are. There were pictures of her in period dress. 

ETA: 

26220306_1629314623778152_36171543525584

The Nova Scotia hoodie just shows that Rick and his crazy eyes were far too close to me! 

Omg I had tears in my eyes I was laughing so hard! I recommend everyone just watch the beginning of the trailer for all the falls! I swear it starts out like some sort of spoof! 

10 hours ago, formergothardite said:

If I remember correctly it is a book his character wrote about being an atheist. 

The book is Professor Greene's cure for America.  It's based on liberalism, so it's stupid and no one buys it.   As everyone knows, left-wing professors can't cope in the real world which is why Professor Greene has so much trouble staying upright outside.  

I was under the impression this would not be a silent film, yet I don't think I've heard a word of dialogue in all the "teasers" over the years.  Maybe they'll spend the next decade working on dubbing that in. 

24 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Professor Greene has so much trouble staying upright outside.  

Mr Green, in the snowbank ... with a penguin!

Gotta love Clue!

My take on all the falling down is that it's all the same person, shown as a kid, then a young man, then at Rick's age.  He just falls a lot!  But why?  Maybe it's symbolic because he's not a believer...

But I can't fathom why a three minute trailer needs to show all those falls...

Well, that clip was a whole lot of random whatever. I was relieved to see the eponymous vines show up about 30 seconds before the end.

OK, I just watched and I think I got it!   If you teach Amish people to play softball, they will round third base...or something.  Right?  Did I "get it?" 

And they professor guy who falls down?  It's because invisible baseball Jesus is tripping him up until he learns to trust that baseball Jesus will NOT trip him up if he just....

Seriously, people, I tried my best. I have no damn clue.

The photography, scenery and aerial shots were beautiful.  Too bad people and that ever present picnic basket had to be in them.

The doughnuts looked good.

Why so many pratfalls? 

A lot of baseball, have they ever heard of "Paradise by the Dashboard Light"? Pretty sure the baseball scenes would disappear if they had.

Must be said, though, and more than once -- Arndt wedding photos are brilliant. Truly amazing and inspired.  Maybe they should stick to that. 

29 minutes ago, Howl said:

Must be said, though, and more than once -- Arndt wedding photos are brilliant. Truly amazing and inspired.  Maybe they should stick to that. 

They are great photos.  

Those sons are not bad looking. They are not my type but could definitely be another fundie's. WHY are they all at home? The Maxwells make their adult sons leave the nest right?  Why would every 13 of the sons choose to live with mom and dad and not go out and be independent or get married?

With some of them in their late 30s, I think they would make a very good match for Sarah Maxwell, Jana Duggar, Esther Staddon, and the Mally sisters...

12 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

My take on all the falling down is that it's all the same person, shown as a kid, then a young man, then at Rick's age.  He just falls a lot!  But why?  Maybe it's symbolic because he's not a believer...

With Rick, who knows, but the clip makes it seem that Joseph Greene is not saved by Jesus but by softball, with the help of some random Amish people.  Curious.

Also curious is the bubble bath given to the pumpkin.  That's something I've not seen before....

Someone please make up a voice-over narration for the trailer! I wish I were tech-savvy enough to add dialogue & extra footage, ala "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist."

Spoiler

• HerNameIsBuffy locked this topic

Archived