IGNORED

Zach and Whitney Bates - part 4

laPapessaGiovanna

I don't take issue with people shilling on social media. I follow a lot of hair blogs that occasionally do that too, I would just never trust a fundie recommendation on it. 

I'm surprised Jessa Seewald has never tried to do her own youtube channel with hair/make up tutorials since she seems so into it. I know Erin did that for a bit a while back, I cringed at the amount of mousse she was putting in her hair. 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/15/2017 at 6:47 PM, llg1234 said:

I really hope Whitney didn't pay a lot (or at all) for those highlights/dye job. 

"Either your roots are grown out or it's ombre, depending on your tax bracket." -Willam Belli

I will give Whitney credit for having some work ethic and hustle. In fact, it seems like most of the Bates women have some modicum of hustle, especially in comparison to the more work-shy Duggar women (Jana excluded). I'd be much, much happier if they'd go all go to accredited community colleges/universities/maybe even advanced degrees, but this is fundie land. I'm just glad none of them were left to die in the backyard for being disobedient.

Ughhh the FabFitFun. Is it me or are (most) of the Bates women the sorority women of the fundie world? Whether it's the insta sponsored ads, the preppy, flowery boutique aesthetic, the love of chick fil a, the needlessly monogrammed everything....the list goes on 

I'm thrilled that Whit disclosed properly!  Plus good for her for using her "fame" to help her family.  If you read any blogs or following anyone online for their content you should be seeing them post something you can buy using their link.  Ads pay the bills just like they do on TV.  

18 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I'm thrilled that Whit disclosed properly!  Plus good for her for using her "fame" to help her family.  If you read any blogs or following anyone online for their content you should be seeing them post something you can buy using their link.  Ads pay the bills just like they do on TV.  

I don't know much about it, but I think Erin Paine is much classier because she DOESN'T pretend to be in love with a box of cheap makeup.

On 11/19/2017 at 6:31 PM, Hisey said:

I don't know much about it, but I think Erin Paine is much classier because she DOESN'T pretend to be in love with a box of cheap makeup.

Cheap makeup?  The retail price for the eye shadow palette in the winter Fabfitfun box is $70.  How much do you pay for eye shadow?

On 11/19/2017 at 5:31 PM, Hisey said:

I don't think I've seen Erin post an actual sponsored post before.  I've seen her post and tag some fingernail polish companies but never anything that was disclosed.  So if Erin did get compensated for any of those posts she broke the law by not disclosing them.  Also would you buy something if the person selling it to you was all "meh here's some cheap makeup."?  Even though it's not cheap at all.

My problem with sponsored posts is this. I followed this amazing blog about really enriched learning for kids. Each blog post was full of wonderful information on how to make engaging fun and learning in the home from pre-school on up. I got so many great ideas. Then over time, the blog started having "reviews", then the Instagram posts became 75% of the time showing a product of some sort. Now most of the blog posts are only reviews. I finally unfollowed the blog because I wasn't getting anything out of it. It is really sad to me when bloggers make it all about the $$$. It doesn't bother me monetizing a blog/social media in some capacity. I know it takes time and money to run a successful social media (something). However, it can be disheartening when you feel like your only being shilled a product once a certain social media presence gains a following. It no longer feels like you are learning anything beneficial (be that make-up tips, education, etc.) and it's all about them making a quick buck.

Now in Whitney's case, she posted one time. Time will tell how quickly each post become sponsored or not (though I am skeptical she is paying for any of those dressing at paisleyco---or whatever it's called). Whitney is not teaching anyone anything. She is simply a tv personality. However, most people follow tv personalities to get a glimpse into their every day lives. It would be frustrating if everything became sponsored. Anyways....my 2 cents on the whole thing.

14 hours ago, Sheltie said:

Cheap makeup?  The retail price for the eye shadow palette in the winter Fabfitfun box is $70.  How much do you pay for eye shadow?

Well, I can try to sell you this rock for $70, that means it's retail price is $70 but it sure doesn't mean that it's worth it. 

In fact, it doesn't mean it really sells at that price in the first place. Just because FFF says it's box really retails at "$250" or somesuch doesn't make it true. Of course they are going to make their box seem as valuable as possible.

6 hours ago, Hisey said:

Well, I can try to sell you this rock for $70, that means it's retail price is $70 but it sure doesn't mean that it's worth it. 

In fact, it doesn't mean it really sells at that price in the first place. Just because FFF says it's box really retails at "$250" or somesuch doesn't make it true. Of course they are going to make their box seem as valuable as possible.

The retail price of all the products in the Fabfitfun box is correct. The retail prices of the products can be found at the brands websites and they all match Fabfitfun’s stated retail value of the box.  For example if someone buys the eyeshadow from the actual website of that brand the price is $70.  Whether someone thinks it’s worth that price doesn’t change the fact it’s $70.  Same scenario for all the other products.  Someone must be buying the products at the retail price.  The companies are still in business.

44 minutes ago, Sheltie said:

The retail price of all the products in the Fabfitfun box is correct. The retail prices of the products can be found at the brands websites and they all match Fabfitfun’s stated retail value of the box.  For example if someone buys the eyeshadow from the actual website of that brand the price is $70.  Whether someone thinks it’s worth that price doesn’t change the fact it’s $70.  Same scenario for all the other products.  Someone must be buying the products at the retail price.  The companies are still in business.

I agree! It certainly isn't worth $70 or the manufacturer would not be selling it to Fabfitfun for considerably less than $50.

If you read the reviews for these boxes, the uniform feeling is that the products are cheap stuff and not worth the money.

17 hours ago, Bazinga said:

My problem with sponsored posts is this. I followed this amazing blog about really enriched learning for kids. Each blog post was full of wonderful information on how to make engaging fun and learning in the home from pre-school on up. I got so many great ideas. Then over time, the blog started having "reviews", then the Instagram posts became 75% of the time showing a product of some sort. Now most of the blog posts are only reviews. I finally unfollowed the blog because I wasn't getting anything out of it. It is really sad to me when bloggers make it all about the $$$. It doesn't bother me monetizing a blog/social media in some capacity. I know it takes time and money to run a successful social media (something). However, it can be disheartening when you feel like your only being shilled a product once a certain social media presence gains a following. It no longer feels like you are learning anything beneficial (be that make-up tips, education, etc.) and it's all about them making a quick buck.

Now in Whitney's case, she posted one time. Time will tell how quickly each post become sponsored or not (though I am skeptical she is paying for any of those dressing at paisleyco---or whatever it's called). Whitney is not teaching anyone anything. She is simply a tv personality. However, most people follow tv personalities to get a glimpse into their every day lives. It would be frustrating if everything became sponsored. Anyways....my 2 cents on the whole thing.

Sponsored post can be done in a good way which benefits all parties. I read a blog where the owner sometimes does sponsored posts. She is always very clear about that they are sponsored (and has been even before this was a legal requirement) and sometimes even says what the deal was with the company "I got to test a bunch of stuff for them and then paid to write a blog inspiring you to use these products" and then she might show what you can do with some craft items from a certain company or what you can cook or bake from another company. Sometimes she works together with companies such as a dairy and then you can even use the recipe and buy the milk or cream from another dairy. I like the way she does her sponsored stuff and she is clear that the sponsored stuff makes it possible for her to also write her non-sponsored stuff. I think one can find a balance in particular if you are big enough to be able to say no to most offers.

15 hours ago, Hisey said:

I agree! It certainly isn't worth $70 or the manufacturer would not be selling it to Fabfitfun for considerably less than $50.

If you read the reviews for these boxes, the uniform feeling is that the products are cheap stuff and not worth the money.

I subscribed to FFF for the last two boxes (I've cancelled my subscription), and I certainly never thought the products were cheap, and felt that the box was a pretty good value overall, and I received a few things I really liked.

But to each their own (I cancelled for financial reasons).

On 17/11/2017 at 1:42 PM, VelociRapture said:

Uh... as far as I know that conversation was over for a good amount of time before she responded earlier today (which is fine - she can respond whenever she wants to or has time.) No one has commented back to her and everyone seems perfectly happy to move the conversation elsewhere. So I’m really not sure what the second part of your comment is referring to. 

ETA: And to be clear, I have zero interest in restarting this discussion. I honestly don’t have the energy for it right now. I’m just genuinely confused by what you wrote. 

The comment was not directed at anyone in particular and just like her, i cant be on every day (hence why i am replying to you almost a week later) so sometimes i catch up really late too.  The OP was pretty mad in a very recent post that was shown before mine and i wanted to be supportive to her even though i was actually posting about something else because i dont like people to be upset and whilst maybe not that day, i have seen her repeatedly defending herself on this matter so i reacted! I dont really care what was said or by who or when. I did not restart the conversation in anyway, i backed her up just to offer some moral support and would do it again. Thanks for clarifying!

10 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

Ok is it just me, or is Zach getting better looking with age? Is it just that he's more fit?

More fit, more confident, happier - plus some people really do look better as they get older!

Zach is definitely looking great with age. Everybody goes through that phase where they are awkward looking. It's particularly bad during the teen years. I'm 21 and I'm slowly getting out of that stage.

2 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Zach & Whitney plus some extended (?) family members during Thanksgiving. Kaci's face is cracking me up. 

I love Kaci's face! 

I think Zach found his place with Whitney, their two kids, and being a police officer. Which is great! The awkwardness of that first courtship still haunts me. 

To be honest Zach would be a guy I would typically go for (Minus the HORRIBLE beliefs/courtship/etc.). But I agree that I think Whitney really helped him find himself which is great. I thought though that with the Bates side Kelly preferred skirts but maybe she meant in their household?

1 hour ago, candygirl200413 said:

To be honest Zach would be a guy I would typically go for (Minus the HORRIBLE beliefs/courtship/etc.). But I agree that I think Whitney really helped him find himself which is great. I thought though that with the Bates side Kelly preferred skirts but maybe she meant in their household?

She’s probably let up on that a lot. Bill and Jane think Kelly and Gil’s shit is ridiculous anyway. 

15 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Ok is it just me, or is Zach getting better looking with age? Is it just that he's more fit?

He does look great. He looks happy which is probably 50% if it anyway. I always thought Zach probably remembered life before Gothard. Maybe he missed some aspects, like dancing and vegetables. 

I posted this in the Bates 22 topic but it seems more relevant here (sorry, I'm new!)

I noticed something mildly interesting. 1) Whitney was wearing jeans around the Gil/Kelly Jo family which is interesting because she said they didn't do that "out if respect". 2) in Lawson's tree climbing video it looks like they made Whitney change out of the jeans and into a skirt to be filmed. Definitely the same day, everyone is in the same exact outfits except Whitney's bottoms changed.

Note their outfits in the first screenshot. In the second screenshot (from Lawson's video), Whitney is wearing the exact same outfit but with a skirt instead of jeans. In the third screenshot, Bradley is wearing the same outfit and you can see the UPtv cameraman filming at the base of the tree.

Oh these people.....

20171128_103830.png

20171128_103852.png

20171128_103803.png

1 hour ago, praying4u said:

I posted this in the Bates 22 topic but it seems more relevant here (sorry, I'm new!)

I noticed something mildly interesting. 1) Whitney was wearing jeans around the Gil/Kelly Jo family which is interesting because she said they didn't do that "out if respect". 2) in Lawson's tree climbing video it looks like they made Whitney change out of the jeans and into a skirt to be filmed. Definitely the same day, everyone is in the same exact outfits except Whitney's bottoms changed.

Note their outfits in the first screenshot. In the second screenshot (from Lawson's video), Whitney is wearing the exact same outfit but with a skirt instead of jeans. In the third screenshot, Bradley is wearing the same outfit and you can see the UPtv cameraman filming at the base of the tree.

Oh these people.....

20171128_103830.png

20171128_103852.png

20171128_103803.png

Poor Whit.

3 hours ago, praying4u said:

Oh these people.....

20171128_103830.png

20171128_103852.png

20171128_103803.png

This is the most ridiculous thing ever! I don't get it. Clearly the family doesn't care if she is wearing jeans other than being filmed. These aren't real families, they are a brand. The. End.

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived