IGNORED

Zach and Whitney Bates - part 4

laPapessaGiovanna

People really give live animals to other people's kids as gifts without speaking to the parents first? This is a new one to me.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

You can add my mom to the list of people who hate when people give pets for birthday or Christmas presents. One of her friends gave my brother a puppy for his first birthday.......

right, because a one-year-old is capable of taking care of any pet, much less a puppy. how nice of them to give your mom more work.  SMDH  

don't get me wrong, i love dogs, but giving them to children is always a bad idea because (depending on age and maturity) they simply can't handle the responsibility, and foisting it on them is unfair to both the kid and the pet.

My mom gave a kitten as a Christmas present to my sister's kids. They had talked about it beforehand and it was explicitly agreed that if something happened and they couldn't keep him they would give him back to my mom. Well, a few months later my sister claims her landlord "suddenly" changed his mind about allowing a cat so he came back to us. He was deaf and enjoyed knocking things off tables and shelves at 2 in the morning. So even if the parents are in it, I would still never give a pet as a gift to another family. There are just too many variables and I think it takes away the bonding, experience, and responsibility that comes along with someone going out purposely and adopting a pet for themselves. 

37 minutes ago, JesSky03 said:

My mom gave a kitten as a Christmas present to my sister's kids. They had talked about it beforehand and it was explicitly agreed that if something happened and they couldn't keep him they would give him back to my mom. Well, a few months later my sister claims her landlord "suddenly" changed his mind about allowing a cat so he came back to us. He was deaf and enjoyed knocking things off tables and shelves at 2 in the morning. So even if the parents are in it, I would still never give a pet as a gift to another family. There are just too many variables and I think it takes away the bonding, experience, and responsibility that comes along with someone going out purposely and adopting a pet for themselves. 

I’m not a big cat person, but that cat sounds adorable. I feel like we’d get along pretty well. :pb_lol:

I think if someone wants to do something pet related as a gift - and they either are the parents or are fully on the same page as the parents - then giving supplies of some sort could be a good compromise. You give the kid the leash or bowls or pet toys or something as the actual birthday or holiday gift. Then a month or two later, the kid and parents get to go out and select the pet themselves. 

I'd I agree that pets would make a horrible gift from someone outside of the household, especially if the parents aren't on board.

Close second is gifting toddlers/young children drum sets. :pb_lol:

I had a great Aunt that bred dogs, I don't remember what kind, but she was fond of giving children in the family puppies as presents. (I'm pretty sure with the parents' permission.) My older brother and I are both very allergic to pet dander so one Christmas she gave us both......a fish. I remember being extremely unimpressed. Just because we were allergic to dogs doesn't mean that we weren't completely aware that a fish is not a substitute for a fluffy, cuddly, friendly puppy!

My maternal grandmother gave me a puppy for my first birthday, we got along very well. Dad was less impressed! Probably not in the best interest to give animals without asking first. 

4 hours ago, catlady said:

right, because a one-year-old is capable of taking care of any pet, much less a puppy. how nice of them to give your mom more work.  SMDH  

I sure hope this isn't a "helpful" passive agressive response to Whitney working. I can see the Fundie reasoning, "If you have so much free time on your hands that you want to work and neglect your womanly duty, maybe adding a puppy to your brood of children might keep you home."

Yes, the thought is disgusting, but I don't put anything past these Fundie.

13 minutes ago, Audrey2 said:

I sure hope this isn't a "helpful" passive agressive response to Whitney working. I can see the Fundie reasoning, "If you have so much free time on your hands that you want to work and neglect your womanly duty, maybe adding a puppy to your brood of children might keep you home."

Yes, the thought is disgusting, but I don't put anything past these Fundie.

um, what?  

i quoted JordynDarby5 and pared it down to her story of how her one-year-old brother was given a puppy for his first birthday.  i replied to that.  my response was to agree with her mother's stance on giving pets to other peoples' young children because JD5's mother would have had to take care of the dog since her son was not yet capable.  i interpreted that her mom was not expecting to receive a pet, and that said pet would significantly increase her daily tasks.  i guess i thought it was implied that my post had nothing to do with Whitney, her kids, her job, or her dog.  

8 hours ago, catlady said:

don't get me wrong, i love dogs, but giving them to children is always a bad idea because (depending on age and maturity) they simply can't handle the responsibility, and foisting it on them is unfair to both the kid and the pet.

Exactly, unless the parents know about it and are okay with it, its a bad idea. They know their kid and whether or not their child can handle the responsibility of caring for a pet or if the parents if it ends up falling on them to take care of the pet like it easily could. What if they can't? Its not fair to put them in a position of having to give the pet to an animal shelter. Obviously, there was no way my brother was going to take care of a puppy. Had my mom's friend talked to her my mom would have immediately said no or asked her to wait until he was three or four. Both my parents love dogs but wanted to wait a couple years when my brother was older and it would be easier and they'd be more ready to take care of puppy. 

On 10/13/2017 at 2:20 PM, catlady said:

I used to do phone screens for the adoption group that has placed my last couple of dogs. I always cringed when there were kids involved because parents would often overestimate the kids' ability to bear the long-term responsibility. One of my favorite phone screens was with a husband and wife who had five kids between the ages of 8 and 16. I was tip-toeing around the kids' projected involvement when the mother stopped me and said, "I want you to understand that this will be MY dog. I will be feeding, walking, and providing the care for the dog. The kids and my husband will likely want to play with him or her and may accompany me, but I am expecting them to not be responsible for primary care." I could have hugged the woman through the phone. They adopted a sweet dog, who quickly became a much-loved member of the household.

The only pet I would give a child who isn't my own is a pet rock.

I am not sure where I should put this but Zach's ex Sara Reith has been engaged to a guy named Caleb for a while and was supposed to get married in December. I just looked at her instagram and every picture of them together is gone and she took him off of her bio. I suspect she might have commitment issues. 

13 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

I suspect she might have commitment issues. 

I suspect that she never really gets to choose the guys she dates/courts/whatsoever, but that instead her father decides who is good enough. I don't know how fundie they are though.

Just by looking at them they don't seem too fundie. Apart from being a Bates ex they seem like a normal christian family, with 4 kids, and  plays bluegrass.  I could be completely wrong tho. 

That Paisley Kate boutique seems shady as hell. NGL, when Alyssa posted a picture of a maxi dress I really liked, I looked into that boutique. Their model is saying "sold!" on their IG, them pm'ing them their shipping address.

Plus literally everything they sell can already be found on Shop The Mint without having to bid on IG. 

I thought Zach and Whit had a big dog a few years ago--some sort of police-type dog--maybe a Malinois?

Dogs, cats and small livestock seem to appear and reappear in the lives of fundy families at an alarming rate.

I’m watching a few of the newer Bates episodes and I have to say, Whitney and Zach actually seem like a good couple. A lot of that overly sweet “I love my husband” attitude has worn off of Whitney. I find them funny and relatable. I also think John Webster is pretty down to earth too. 

On 10/13/2017 at 6:11 PM, VineHeart137 said:

People really give live animals to other people's kids as gifts without speaking to the parents first? This is a new one to me.

This happened to my family!

My sister's best friend's rabbit had babies.  BF's mother, Z, was trying to get them homed, and asked my mum if we wanted one, and my mum said absolutely not.  Next time my sister went to their house, she comes home ecstatically happy with a baby rabbit in her arms, because Z saw she loved it so much, she gave it to her for a birthday present!  They were "meant to be together", said Z.

My mum was furious.  Cue having to drop everything and run to the pet shop to buy a hutch and all the supplies, and rearrange the shed to make space for it, etc etc.  She said later that she was seriously considering marching my sister right back to return the bunny, but my sister would have been so devastated, it would have been punishing her for Z's terrible behaviour. 

Whit got her first sign. I can’t even snark on this because she seems legitimately excited. 

• Jellybean locked this topic

Archived