IGNORED

Maxwell 13: And Another One Bites the Dust - John is Engaged

Coconut Flan

10 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I think it is Bon-tra-ger.  As in tray and tiger.

I'm going from an old memory of JB Duggar messing up his "good friend's" name on 19K&C and Mr. B having to correct him repeatedly though.

That's literally all I remember about that episode. JBoob announcing over the family intercom that the Bontragers were there and he couldn't get it right. I'm sorry but it's not that difficult a name. Leave it to Boob to make a mess of it. 

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I *think* JB said Bont-ragger. :laughing-rollingred: My memory isn't always accurate though.

Speaking of that.  Allison is the one that works at the Inn, not Chelsy?  Correct?

2 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

It's 1 pm in Kansas, and no announcement on the blog. Hmm....

I bet Steve is fuming. John has always been a bit of a rebel and has hopefully put his foot down on how he wants his wedding done. 

I dunno, I personally have to give JB a pass on that one as nobody ever pronounces my last name right, including me. :pb_lol:

So are the Maxwells ever going to announce this blessed union on their own blog...?

3 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Steve, you've been scooped. Its on Bontrager blog (mainly written by Chels anyway) and on Chels's blog.

Get your shit together Stevie!! 

It is interesting to see all the comments on the Bontrager blogs about "congrats, I knew this was coming--or "I expected this but didn't expect it so soon"--or "yeah, I saw you 2 sitting together at the National Bible Bee last year!" [which was in November]

16 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Now, now.  Be patient.  Sarah is only scheduled to put up a blog post 3 times a week.  John's engagement announcement has to wait in line.

23 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Do we think that the mysterious Maxwell spawn ministry trip in June:  https://blog.titus2.com/2017/06/24/three-maxwells-go-on-a-ministry-trip/  involved courting Chelsy?

That's right around the time the Bontragers left for their singing tour. They started in Michigan and did a lot of gigs in Canada. It's possible that the Maxwells met up with them at some point but we probably won't ever know unless Chelsy mentions it. One commenter did mention he's known about the couple since June. So it's possible they started officially courting in June but were "getting to know" one another before that. Bontragers don't announce anything online until engagement. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I *think* JB said Bont-ragger. :laughing-rollingred: My memory isn't always accurate though.

Speaking of that.  Allison is the one that works at the Inn, not Chelsy?  Correct?

I was thinking that both of them were working there. I think Allison still works there but Chelsy has been replaced by her brother and new sister in law. 

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think Allison still works there but Chelsy has been replaced by her brother and new sister in law. 

Maybe.  I'm thoroughly confused because I had thought Chelsy worked there but couldn't find any references to it when I was refreshing my memory with the various blogs.  Allison definitely works there.  Allison clarified what was going on here:

https://www.fromallison.com/snapshots-of-september/

For those of you that may be wondering how this all works and if it means that I am not working at the hotel anymore, here’s the lowdown: Mitchell and Bryn live in the apartment at the hotel and are currently working as part-time general managers (and will be full time once Mitchell’s busy season with his custom manure hauling is finished). Their position is different from mine, and they are actually replacing our previous general manager who moved on to a different career.

My job as Director of Human Resources as well as Marketing + Advertising Coordinator continues, and I love it!

So Allison never managed the Inn and I'm surprised she didn't name Chelsy as the "previous general manager."  I also can't find any references to Chelsy working there but I haven't gone through all the posts yet.  They are a chatty crowd. 

A commenter on the engagement post asked for details and the reply was, "They will be posting their story sometime before the wedding." I'm looking forward to hearing how everything went down. I hope the June ministry trip did involve courting Chelsy, just 'cause I'd love to have some of the Maxwells "secret" activities exposed. But Sarah said John, Anna and Mary left on June 22, and the Bontragers may already have been in or on their way to Canada at that point, so it seems unlikely.

Oh man Steve isn't going to like "their love story" and all the details being posted by the Bontragers and not the Maxwells. Ha!

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That's literally all I remember about that episode. JBoob announcing over the family intercom that the Bontragers were there and he couldn't get it right. I'm sorry but it's not that difficult a name. Leave it to Boob to make a mess of it. 

In the live streamed Bontrager weddings their surname was always pronounced Bon-tragg-er. I was surprised, as I'd always assumed it was pronounced Bon-tray-ger.

25 minutes ago, Triplet3 said:

In the live streamed Bontrager weddings their surname was always pronounced Bon-tragg-er. I was surprised, as I'd always assumed it was pronounced Bon-tray-ger.

It makes me wonder if they have an accent that affects the way they pronounce it. It's definitely an Amish/Mennonite name that I have heard pronounced Bontray-ger. Or maybe my regional accent is affecting it, lol. 

I believe it is Bon-tray-ger(as in tiger).  I know Mrs. Bontrager's sister and peripherally some of her children(I babysat them as kids but lost touch. My husband works with one of them now.)  They are definitely not Steve approved.

my husband knows the children better than I do, though my fundie obsession annoys him.  I am going to try to weasel out of him anything he might know about Chelsy.

Apparently they came and sang last spring in my area of New York and visited family. I wish I'd known, I would have gone to see them.

6 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

The engagement picture looks good.

Not taken by a Maxwell, perhaps?

15 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

Not taken by a Maxwell, perhaps?

It doesn't look like the handiwork of Chris.  He is the Ansel  Anal Adams of Maxhell.

I am not so patiently waiting for the Maxwell blog post about this. 

I can't wait to read the spin! 

And, I'm loving that the more I read about the Bontragers - I am not up on them much; just started reading them once in a while when linked from here earlier in the year - the more Steve is NOT in control of this relationship. And won't be in control of the wedding. She has sisters of her own to be bridesmaids. She has a large family of her own with their own friends & families & followers to plan her wedding. They have a public presence. 

Their beliefs are full out fundie so that fits Steve's views, but their lives are not sheltered or isolated or controlled. 

This will be her wedding, not a Maxwell wedding. I can feel it. 

I harbor no thoughts of them leaving the fold or anything that big but she is not a Maxwell clone; their life together will not be fully controlled by Steve. Her family is far too engaged in...life...for that to happen. 

Poor Sarah, Mary & Anna. They will never, ever, ever get married. Steve won't allow them to enter another family's way of life. They're watching their brothers each progressively marry someone a little further outside Steve's reach & control. And they just keep getting up at 5 for bible time, eating crackers & bean burritos and doing....nothing else. They will never be in a position to meet a man much less form a connection with him. 

Just the use of the term boyfriend makes John & Chelsy off Steve's rails. 

I'm kind of giddy, if in a controlled manner.

2 hours ago, sableduck said:

I believe it is Bon-tray-ger(as in tiger).  I know Mrs. Bontrager's sister and peripherally some of her children(I babysat them as kids but lost touch. My husband works with one of them now.)  They are definitely not Steve approved.

my husband knows the children better than I do, though my fundie obsession annoys him.  I am going to try to weasel out of him anything he might know about Chelsy.

Apparently they came and sang last spring in my area of New York and visited family. I wish I'd known, I would have gone to see them.

I've seen pictures of her side of the family and there are some pants wearing mainstream looking folks mixed in with Mennonite looking folks. It seems like maybe their extended families are somewhat accepting of differences of lifestyles. 

I just thought of something. Steve could forbid the Maxwell girls from being bridesmaids in a sad attempt to exert some control. 

I'm sure the Duggars will attend this wedding as well since they attended the last wedding and they know the Maxwells. This is a picture of what Michelle wore to the single Bontrager wedding. I'm actually surprised by this outfit. She normally just wears an ill fitting button up shirt and black skirt. It seems she might be branching out a bit. 

IMG_4900.PNG

that's probably the best that I have ever seen Michelle look.

I have a very nit picky thought. I wonder if their wedding colors will be green and...whatever. 

Pristopher and Anna had a green wedding (a very pale sage, I think).  Joseph and Elissa had a green wedding. I remember seeing the latter pictures and wondering if green was Steve's favorite color. I can see him manipulating things so that his color happens to be what the bride chooses. It seems like John and Chelsy will be strong enough to make their own decisions, though.  

As for announcing the engagement, I don't see how the Maxwells think this will play well with their readers. Sarah just mentioned on a recent post that their readers are a valued asset!  They are going to feel a little snubbed reading the news somewhere else. 

13 minutes ago, FloraKitty35 said:

that's probably the best that I have ever seen Michelle look.

ITA.

Still in those black stockings and shoes, though. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived