IGNORED

Maxwell 13: And Another One Bites the Dust - John is Engaged

Coconut Flan

55 minutes ago, Howl said:

These patriarchal types (Stevehovah, Rick Arndt, The Duck Biologist, Michael Pearl, et al.)  are just too arrogant and controlling to listen to anyone else, like they think that THEY are god, or something. 

The difference is, though, Steve is actually quite intelligent.  Steve is educated with a college degree.  He must have had excellent grades to be recruited by Northrop (?).  The Engineers in my family (everyone but me) tend to be logical.  I would imagine Steve is as well.  Yet, his decision making process defies logic based on what we can gather.

Ardnt is dumb as a door nail.  Cathy certainly married down with this but.

Pearl is just a crazy redneck who somehow developed a following.  

Duggar/Bates are great salesmen but not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

The Captain/Schaeder are just as crazy as all get out and stupid to boot.

Gothard?  He is another L. Ron Hubbard with different packaging.   These two are the scariest.  Their uncanny ability to attract individuals who blindly follow them is uncanny.  They belong in the same bucket as the FLDS living out following their fearless leader who is locked away for the rest of his life.

So, bottom line: I expect more from Steve.  He is a very bright guy.  Steve knows better.  

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Foudeb said:

It's such a daft rule at that. What's so un-godly about a mortgage?

And if he allowed his daughters to work at a proper job they'd be able to save some money to buy that house together with their fiancé too, sharing the burden.

And this, in a cult that glorifies marriage and children.

The stupidity of it all.

Well by this logic my husband who earns a salary in the top 2% of Australians should have been ruled out of marriage as he had a mortgage on his apartment when we met. Also...gasp...so did I! A women!

in Sydney with the average house price $1million and apartments $500,000 it is just not practical. No on in Sydney except the filthy rich would marry if we followed Maxwell rules. 

Also it has been said before, who the hell would be saving the maxwell’s lives if no one went to college? Wank*r. 

13 hours ago, terranova said:

Ok, two hours of brow(s)ing street view later and I can confirm, John and Chelsy are moving 0.3 of a mile from Maxhell central.

Which will likely elicit about 3 days of over-the-top weeping by the still-in-the-house family. And then a Life Hacks!!!11!!! post about how it's so cool that people still exist and you can still interact with them even when they don't live in the same house as you and you can't see them all the time.

Since Chelsy has traveled so much with her family, hopefully she at least has acquaintances near her new home who can jump start some kind of a social life for her and John. (If this were any other fundie family besides the Maxwells, I would assume an adult John's age would already have a network of friends and church people who would roll out the welcome wagon for Chelsy. But again, these are the Maxwells.)

1 hour ago, Tatar-tot said:

So, bottom line: I expect more from Steve.  He is a very bright guy.  Steve knows better.

Steve should know better.  Except Steve saw something nasty in a woodshed (we know not what) and when it came to control of his family is (possibly) the worst of the lot.

Joe and Elissa moved 0.7 miles away from the Fatherhouse.  It did give them some distance, because for all their climbing 14ers, the Maxwells apparently drive from the compound to Joe's house.  That is why I feel sorry for Ellie.  My pups are used to mile walks at least 2X a day.  Sarah walks Ellie "when possible."

Stevo, Nathan and company, Christopher and company, and Gigi all seem to live on the same road.  Within spitting distance.

Dear Rufus, I feel sorry for them.

I wonder if in that year old searching for the perfect home, john came across one rather close to Maxhell and turned it down. 

3 hours ago, johnhugh said:

Bless you for that.

Funny enough I did try that again this time but I think Stevie has turned into a secret Cliff fan.

Picture the scene with Stevie at his desk blowing the cow horn with his headphones on listening to Cliff singing, ‘we’re all going on a what some would call a summer holiday’ or ‘Mistletoe and grape juice’ - “I’m just listening to the reversals singing ‘daddy on his knees’ Terri.”

I'm hoping it was Summer Holiday - the Young Ones version.

CLIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

1 hour ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I would assume an adult John's age would already have a network of friends and church people who would roll out the welcome wagon for Chelsy. But again, these are the Maxwells.

I thought it was telling that while they both have one non-relative in their bridal parties, John's - and therefore his closest male friend - is Joseph Hale, a guy who has lived in Alaska for 10-15 years, and who is a childhood friend. He can't be THAT close to him.

It seems like he has no friends who live closer and who are close enough to invite to join the bridal party. The bridal party is lopsided and probably needs more guys - but it seems like he literally has nobody else to ask.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I can confirm, John and Chelsy are moving 0.3 of a mile from Maxhell central

Before this takes root in Maxhell lore, I want to remind everyone it's 0.7 miles the same as Joseph.  

1 hour ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Well by this logic my husband who earns a salary in the top 2% of Australians should have been ruled out of marriage as he had a mortgage on his apartment when we met. Also...gasp...so did I! A women!

in Sydney with the average house price $1million and apartments $500,000 it is just not practical. No on in Sydney except the filthy rich would marry if we followed Maxwell rules. 

Also it has been said before, who the hell would be saving the maxwell’s lives if no one went to college? Wank*r. 

Fellow Sydney resident here, and I'm blown away by how cheaply young fundie men can buy their homes in the US. We are actually considering a move to Indiana with Partner's company largely because it would get us off the Sydney mortgage treadmill. We could buy a literal mansion there for less than half the price of our average suburban Sydney home. And we are lucky to have managed to get into the property market at all - we have friends , couples with two professional salaries, who have had to go to the Central Coast or out past Penrith to buy their first home.

Sorry Steve, but no matter how much lawn mowing and pet sitting a young fundie boy does, no matter how wonderful his work ethic, no matter if he lives at home til marriage and saves every cent he makes - there is no way he could buy a home outright in Sydney  for him and his bride to live in on their single income. Even if he worked and saved from the time he was 10 til he was 40.

10 hours ago, Tatar-tot said:

I am going to ask a real dumb question:  Don't women who have many (6 plus) vaginal births tend to have some type of "pee-pee" issues for example leakage?  If so, would they potentially have leakage problems while doing the "wild-thing"?  

3 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

You can have bladder and also fecal incontinence after one pregnancy if you're really unlucky. Depends a bit on what happened on the baby's way out.

While childbirth can cause problems that lead to bladder control issues, a study from 2002 comparing women who had given birth to nuns who hadn't given birth actually found the two groups had similar rates of bladder control issues. 

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0029784402020768 (behind a paywall)

https://www.betterwomannow.com/blog/bladder-control-issues-and-childbirth-a-study-of-nuns/ 

29 minutes ago, lilith said:

...couples with two professional salaries, who have had to go to the Central Coast or out past Penrith to buy their first home.

That's us too. I work with people on lower salaries than me, or who are working part time due to raising kids, and most of them live in the Seven Hills/Hills/Parramatta/Epping areas. All of them who bought in the last 5 years paid at least $700k for theirs, and that's in relatively cheap areas of Sydney. I don't know how they do that on 2 or 1 1/2 salaries, let alone 1 salary of a self-employed guy who has no university education or formal trade training.

30 minutes ago, lilith said:

Sorry Steve, but no matter how much lawn mowing and pet sitting a young fundie boy does, no matter how wonderful his work ethic, no matter if he lives at home til marriage and saves every cent he makes - there is no way he could buy a home outright in Sydney  for him and his bride to live in on their single income. Even if he worked and saved from the time he was 10 til he was 40.

Then he would expect said fundie boy to move out to where he can afford it. Even if said place is Dubbo.

The same goes for the USA. To be fair, there's no reason for any fundie to live in a major city, since they don't need the professional job opportunities or culture - and they definitely don't want the ebil liberal political views hat tend to prevail in such cities. It's why most fundies live in rural or remote areas - the only exception was when all the IBLP folks lived in Chicago - but even then I suspect they got help to buy houses, or were in company accommodation.

What kind of neighborhood do they live in where houses are put on the market absolutely trashed and run down so they can afford to buy them debt free? Seriously, the houses they buy are all in an awful state, but they're all within a mile of each other? 

I recently bought a fixer upper, so I get it, and I love working on my house. However, I don't live in a neighborhood where ALL the houses that go on the market are vacant fixer uppers. 

It would drive me crazy if my fiance went and bought a house so that when we got married I would move in to it with him. Now maybe John and Chelsy looked at houses together and chose one together but that's probably unlikely.   It probably wouldn't be a good idea for them to buy the house together before they got married since assuming that it's all his money it could get messy and complicated if the engagement broke off like it did with Joseph's. Wouldn't it make more sense for the 2 to get married and rent for several months to a year while looking for and renovating a house so that they could do it together and they could both get the house that they wanted. It would bother me that I was moving into "his" house and that "he" bought for me.

This obsession (dare I say idol?) of being completely debt free is going to bite them in the ass. Not all debt is bad debt. And you can't expect men to marry young, have a large number of children, not work for an 'outsider', AND stay completely out of debt. It's just not possible. It's not possible for the vast majority of men in the fundie world, and it's not sustainable in the long run even for the guys who have pulled it off so far, and it's not even necessary! There's nothing wrong with having a mortgage or with paying rent! Debt in and of itself is not the enemy, poorly managed debt is. If any of these guys ever finds himself in debt due to some unforeseeable circumstance he's going to be in way worse shape than his worldly counterparts because he's going to have no effing idea how to manage it.

2 hours ago, lilith said:

Fellow Sydney resident here, and I'm blown away by how cheaply young fundie men can buy their homes in the US. We are actually considering a move to Indiana with Partner's company largely because it would get us off the Sydney mortgage treadmill. We could buy a literal mansion there for less than half the price of our average suburban Sydney home. And we are lucky to have managed to get into the property market at all - we have friends , couples with two professional salaries, who have had to go to the Central Coast or out past Penrith to buy their first home.

Real estate is relatively cheap here in Indiana. And the cost of living is affordable. Don’t get me wrong, we do have some expensive homes here, but they usually come with a nice size piece of land, have a decent amount of square footage, and the home is very nicely updated. My zip code has everything from the US$40,000 repo condo that needs work to the US$800,000+ mansion with a pool, tennis courts, 5 bedrooms, 6 baths, and custom everything. 

I think the area where the Maxhell compound is located is similar to Indiana, some really affordable homes and some over the top homes. 

Aside from the financial consequences, they would be emotionally and spirituality devastated. After all, good Christians according to Steve don't have debt ever.

Also fuck Steve's bullshit about student loans lasting longer than marriages. I needed a loan to go to college. I graduated, got a good job, and paid my student loan back. If it had taken me a while to find a good job, then I could have switched to a lower repayment plan or paused the repayment period. I am happy to be done paying it off of course but I do not regret it.

It's not that big of a deal if you do it responsibly. Same with mortgages.

1 hour ago, bertnee said:

Aside from the financial consequences, they would be emotionally and spirituality devastated. After all, good Christians according to Steve don't have debt ever.

Also fuck Steve's bullshit about student loans lasting longer than marriages. I needed a loan to go to college. I graduated, got a good job, and paid my student loan back. If it had taken me a while to find a good job, then I could have switched to a lower repayment plan or paused the repayment period. I am happy to be done paying it off of course but I do not regret it.

It's not that big of a deal if you do it responsibly. Same with mortgages.

Totally agree. Out of curiosity how much roughly is it to go to trade school where they are? Because that would seem to fit with the ethos of self-employment but would also be profitable. 

Also Steve, seriously here. Some student debt lasts longer than some marriages. Some marriages last longer than some mortgages. Whatever, petal.

1 hour ago, divadivine said:

My zip code has everything from the US$40,000 repo condo that needs work to the US$800,000+ mansion with a pool, tennis courts, 5 bedrooms, 6 baths, and custom everything.

I am now mildly depressed - $800K will get you a quarter acre block with a 3BR house here. Prices are just stupid, and it's not just the smashed avo's fault!

I hadn't thought about their credit histories - they must be awful since they have no credit. God forbid they run into an emergency and have trouble bc their score is low

This is a gentle reminder for those who may not know that only helpmeets may begin new mega threads.  Please feel free to suggest titles, but there are details to be handled that require a helpmeet.  Nothing bad will happen if a thread goes 25 pages or more.   Thanks

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived