IGNORED

Missing 3 Year Old in Texas

AuntKrazy

1 hour ago, AuntKrazy said:

@Howl I have no idea about the FBI - I live in the DFW area and they cancelled the Amber Alert relatively early - and I'm purely speculating here, but I wonder if they had to involve the FBI in order to both issue it and cancel it? 

The Amber Alert guidelines say that any law enforcement agency can issue one if there is reason to believe a child (under 17) is in imminent danger. 

centerforthemissing.org/how-to-issue-an-amber-alert/

Only a law enforcement agency can issue a regional or state Amber Alert. If your child is missing, please contact 9-1-1 immediately and then Get Help Now.

Hope dad will spill the beans and save everybody a lot of trouble, but if he's already lawyer-ed up....

The neighborhood looks like one where at least some or even many of the neighbors would have security cameras, Ring, etc.  

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read that the church paid for the father's bail. The father has an ankle monitor and has had to surrender his passport. I would love to be wrong, but I fear this poor child is dead.

The FBI usually gets involved if there are suspicions of kidnapping a child, even if it doesn't suspect crossing of state lines.   It also sometimes gets involved if the crime is complex and needs pooling of both Federal and local resources.   I think local jurisdictions just request assistance but I am no expert.

On 10/11/2017 at 7:01 AM, Howl said:

Being an fj reader and learning about a pattern of abuse of adopted children among fundies has been an eye-opener. 

We focus on the adopted child victims of Fundies certainly.  However, there is growing evidence that adoption itself is a risk factor for abuse.  Note I said "risk factor" and NOT cause or correlation.   Of course not all adoptees are abused.  But not all adoptees who are abused were adopted by Fundies.

That said, the big Evangelical push to adopt internally for Jesus really brought this issue to the forefront.  The Fundie adopting parents really weren't prepared and then all too many decided not to spare the rod.  Pearl is responsible for a lot of harm and that food issue is a huge red flag for Pearl methods.

This poor baby may have had a triple whammy of risk factors for abuse.  "Difference" (not resembling the bio family physically) and being special needs (likely to cause parental stress) are also both risk factors.  So is being adopted for the wrong reason - and I'd say adopting a baby for Jesus IS a bad reason - if that is what happened here.  

This is a terrible case.  I don't think she will be found alive.  The question is whether her body will ever be found.

19 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

That said, the big Evangelical push to adopt internally for Jesus really brought this issue to the forefront.  The Fundie adopting parents really weren't prepared and then all too many decided not to spare the rod.  Pearl is responsible for a lot of harm and that food issue is a huge red flag for Pearl methods.

This poor baby may have had a triple whammy of risk factors for abuse.  "Difference" (not resembling the bio family physically) and being special needs (likely to cause parental stress) are also both risk factors.  So is being adopted for the wrong reason - and I'd say adopting a baby for Jesus IS a bad reason - if that is what happened here.  

While the fundegelical push for adoption may have been well-intentioned, I agree that it has fueled child trafficking rings and enabled abuse by “parents” who are totally lacking in the skills needed for parenting children who are different from them, whether in terms of race or physical/mental ability. I think this must be why there are these mega-families by adoption, as people who do have a gift for raising adopted children, especially those with extra challenges, feel compelled to adopt over and over again, because they know how few individuals have this talent.

My fundie ex-BIL & his wife (no-pants for women, his wife and her 3 adult sisters lived at home until marriage but had jobs, he was an IFB pastor until he got kicked out of the church he started - I can't find out why), had two sons, then decided to adopt. They adopted a little girl from a South American country when she was 2 or 3. She's a young teenager now. They post videos of her singing in church, and the obligatory father/daughter purity balls, but her smile never reaches her eyes. and her eyes look dead to me. I know they believe in corporal punishment, but I left that family before the boys were born.  I do know they were both raised fundie with some weird ideas.
I wonder sometimes if fundies are extra hard on adopted kids, especially those from different cultures/races, because they somehow view them as extra sinful. The whole racist "dark child," "sins of the father" bullshit.

Anyway, as soon as I first saw this in the news I thought she's dead, & the "dad" killed her. :my_sad:

i was going to say what @Palimpsest said about calling in the FBI.  Local law enforcement agencies have the ability of calling in the FBI is they need the resources of the FBI.

Every time I see an update on this thread my chest tightens a little because I think it will be a post saying her body has been found.  I have no hope she will be found alive, if she is found at all.  

Obviously, there is a belief that she was removed from the house because the family's cars are being processed by LE.  I have a horrible feeling that To Beat Up a Child™ ministries will figure somewhere in this tragedy. 

ETA: A few more things.  The father is the one who told police that coyotes had been seen in the alley (A dingo ate my baby!) and he (allegedly) never woke up his wife during this whole event.  Thinking now that he will be seen on someone's surveillance video leaving the neighborhood sometime in the middle of the night and returning an hour later. 

This has been picked up by India's press, but the content is identical to articles appearing in the local and US press. 

WebSleuths is all over this, has 100s of posts, but doesn't have much more information than what has been posted by MSM. Not comfirmed:  Dad is (supposedly) in IT, is Indian, neighborhood is mostly Asian families. A close neighbor up at 4 am lighting a grill in preparation for cooking brisket (yes, it's a thing in Texas) heard nothing.

Nobody believes the Dad's story.  The older child taken by CPS is a bio child and the mom is desperate to get her back. 

The idle speculation by one poster notes that if the dad is indeed in IT, he may have spent the hours from 3 am to 8 am wiping security tapes and hard drives. 

I agree, its more than likely this poor child is gone and there is just a body to be recovered. 

The story makes no sense - who forces milk on a child at 3am?  If the child woke up and wanted milk you either give it or you don't.  Did you wake her up and try to force her to drink milk? And the punishment?  Stand outside for 15 mins?  Stupid stories often come from desperate cover up attempts...

Unfortunately, when the story is this convoluted its always a lie. The fact that both parents have their own lawyers and the amber alert was cancelled speaks volumes as well.. 

The fact that the father is the one who brought up coyotes is a huge red flag for me.  If you leave a child outside alone in at 3am- coyotes would be the last thing I would think about coming upon her.  Also, very fishy that he stayed up to do laundry and didn't wake his wife up immediately.  That poor little girl- who knows what she had already been through before this incident.  

I don't believe a word the dad has said. Ridiculously stupid cover story though. Can't believe that's the most plausible cover he could come up with. 

Poor child. So likely that she was harmed at her dad's hands.

4 hours ago, Howl said:

ETA: A few more things.  The father is the one who told police that coyotes had been seen in the alley (A dingo ate my baby!) and he (allegedly) never woke up his wife during this whole event.  

If you are referring at the case of Azaria Chamberlain, then actually yes, after 32yrs it was demonstrated that the dingo killed the baby

In this case I too think the father concocted an incredible story to cover up a crime, but let's not forget that we know very little atm and that even the most absurd events sometimes are true. I don't think this is the case but really we don't know.

Here's another summary article which explains a bit more. http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/6-days-3-yr-old-girl-left-outside-home-indian-dad-us-still-missing-mom-distraught-69888

Supposedly Sherin was "malnourished" with a "medical condition" and was regularly fed at odd hours. Something interesting from the article: 

Asked whether Sini stands by her husband Wesley's version of the events, the attorney said: 

"She did cooperate with the police and the fact that there may be conversations that occurred between Wesley and a third party...she is not aware of those. She is hopeful that the daughter will be returned." 

Has anyone else heard about this potential 'third party?" Like others, I tend to think the father killed little Sherin in a moment of frustration. I hope Sherin is still alive, but it doesn't sound good. If she isn't alive, I hope justice is served. 

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I believe she did sort of resemble the father at least. I believe it's a requirement (or it used to be) for one adoptive American parent to have Indian descent. I saw a pic of the dad and he could have Indian heritage although his name is not Indian. 

7 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I believe it's a requirement (or it used to be) for one adoptive American parent to have Indian descent.

Not exactly.  India is a Hague Convention country.  India's adoption laws require that priority is given - and all efforts are made - to adopting out the child to family members first, then to Indian nationals and residents.  After that, potential adopters of Indian heritage living overseas are given preference. 

However, with special needs children these requirements are waived quite frequently.  One example being the Little Couple (Jen Arnold and Bill Klein) being allowed to adopt Zoey.

A couple in Utah left their 3 year old in a corn maze and didn't notice she was missing until the next morn ing. Fortunately, she was found and turned over to CPS, so she didn't have to spend the night outside alone. What is wrong with these people?

My father is Indian so I can shed a bit of light on the family. Abraham is a very common name for Christian's in India. The mom and dad are from Kerala in South India. Kerala has a fairly large population of Christian's, mostly Catholic, but more and more Protestants. A factor to consider as well is the  misogany in some Indian families. Girls in some families are really second class citizens. Of course patriarchy is a problem in all cultures. I am only commenting on what I know about personally.

I have heard a similarly convoluted story about a missing child before. Regrettably, the person telling it was Casey Anthony. I so hope this does not turn out as tragically.

1 hour ago, Demonfan said:

My father is Indian so I can shed a bit of light on the family. Abraham is a very common name for Christian's in India. The mom and dad are from Kerala in South India. Kerala has a fairly large population of Christian's, mostly Catholic, but more and more Protestants. A factor to consider as well is the  misogany in some Indian families. Girls in some families are really second class citizens. Of course patriarchy is a problem in all cultures. I am only commenting on what I know about personally.

Thank you for these insights, @Demonfan.  

ETA: According to Websleuths, Richardson, TX PD has confirmed that an SUV was missing from the Matthews residence between 4 and 5 am on the morning Sherin disappeared: 

#BREAKING Richardson Police asking residents to look for surveillance video of Mathews' maroon 2013 Acura MDX at 4am-5am Sat. Oct 7th @wfaachannel8

Shit's getting real. 

Sorry, I meant to say Mathews is also a common name. It is so heartbreaking for me to imagine what was leading up to this incident. I suspect that it will come out that this poor girls life was a difficult one.

I wonder if it is a domestic violence situation as both parents have separate lawyers.

One of the lawyers (I think) said that because one of the parents (the dad) was booked and is a suspect out on bail and the mom is not considered a suspect at this time, it would be a conflict of interest for both parents to have the same lawyer. 

I truly fear that he drove off and put her in a random dumpster somewhere. Hoping they get security footage from one or more sources that will tell all or part of the story. 

Archived