IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 2: WTF is Happening, In More Ways than One

FundieFarmer

21 hours ago, 241 said:

The “kids” use weed. The “kids” drink like fish. The “kids” are an abomination to our denomination. The “kids” were not abused, all elders know the details of their toxic behaviors and flavored sarcasm.

Wow. This sounds so much like a description of Sproul Jr's shenanigans. I don't know if he used weed, but he was known to drink like a fish, and he was an abomination to his denomination (financial irregularities, shaming alcoholics under his "authority" into drinking, and heavy-handed spiritual abuse, just for starters). He was quite skilled with sarcasm, too, as I recall.

Is someone projecting, perhaps?

(And I don't remember Darby coming here, at least not recently, but rather her public posts to social media being quoted. Do any Sproul sprouts post at FJ?)

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, refugee said:

(And I don't remember Darby coming here, at least not recently, but rather her public posts to social media being quoted. Do any Sproul sprouts post at FJ?)

Someone upthread said Darby had posted here in the past, but since I don't follow this saga in general, I have no idea if that is fact, nor do I know what the username was, if she came out as Darby. 

20 hours ago, Jezzable said:

Elders know what go on inside of people's homes? Really? How?  Even abuse? Shoot, even family members sometimes don't realize the abuse going on in their own home. Look at Josh Duggar! 

Look at the fathers who invited Steven Sitler to board in their homes...

17 hours ago, thoughtful said:

Oh, and everyone else -- I can't imagine sarcasm coming in sweet flavors -- seems wrong, somehow. I think it's available in cilantro, horseradish and unsweetened black coffee flavors.

You never met my Texas cousins... They could rip each other to shreds and never lose their smiles or sweet-as-diabetes-inducing-sweet-tea tones.

19 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Someone upthread said Darby had posted here in the past, but since I don't follow this saga in general, I have no idea if that is fact, nor do I know what the username was, if she came out as Darby. 

Darby posted here (under dancindarby) at the time of her late mother's illness (ca 2011). She was not happy with FJ. No idea if any of her siblings have created accounts at FJ.

If she or her siblings have been here since, they haven't identified themselves as such. 

Just noting that there is a specific reason why some people experience the taste of cilantro as a cross between dirt and soap and gross, gross, gross. 

It has to do with genes!   According to many websites, most cilantro haters are "people with a shared group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals. Aldehyde chemicals are found in both cilantro and soap." 

7 hours ago, Howl said:

To get to the point,  that post is exactly the vicious crap that can come from a raging alcoholic, drinking or not.

That's what they call "a dry drunk", isn't it?

The SOB can't blame being an SOB on the alcohol, in other words. I once heard alcohol called a magnifier by a friend who was warning another friend not to drink to drown their sorrows. She explained it this way: "If you're happy, it can loosen your inhibitions so that you think you feel even happier, but if you're depressed, well, it's a depressant and it'll take you deeper down the spiral." I think there was a lot of wisdom in that.

So alcohol as a magnifier makes an SOB into a more intense SOB? More or less.

1 hour ago, refugee said:

The SOB can't blame being an SOB on the alcohol, in other words. I once heard alcohol called a magnifier by a friend who was warning another friend not to drink to drown their sorrows. She explained it this way: "If you're happy, it can loosen your inhibitions so that you think you feel even happier, but if you're depressed, well, it's a depressant and it'll take you deeper down the spiral." I think there was a lot of wisdom in that.

So alcohol as a magnifier makes an SOB into a more intense SOB? More or less.

There is some truth to this, but I think more than enhancing who you are, alcohol is best at lowering inhibitions. I am naturally quite shy in public/social situations, but when I have a glass or two of wine, I’m much less shy and more willing to engage in conversation and appear “social.”  And drunky me, well then I will say exactly what’s on my mind, whereas sober me would never say 1/2 of the things I’m really thinking.  

Schmoopy talked about how Sproul’s kids were grieving “too much” too. Definitely seems like they were parroting Junior’s shitty perspective.

I think someone earlier mentioned that perhaps both Schmoopy and Spanky are extreme narcissists, and that's what drew them together, and now is making it them vs. the anyone who they feel threatened by. 

Also, I remember seeing comments from him that wives/mothers shouldn't be blogging. And now he's married to someone trying to use her new "name" to build a following as "THE PURPOSE DRIVEN WIFE™" ;) And hers is even horrifically lightweight theology. 

I found this video on Lisa's blog: 

"RC's First Phone Call -July 4, 2016"

But with the music playing over it, it's too hard to hear the actual call. Actually, it felt too awkward and icky and I couldn't listen anymore. But here it is for anyone who wants it. 

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, thoughtful said:

Poetry, pure poetry!

"abomination to his denomination"

Next thread title? ??

19 hours ago, mountaineer said:

I agree, but I doubt it's him.  He knows how to write.  He clearly puts a lot of thought into making his tweets sound profound, and his writings are generally well-constructed and rhetorically shrewd, if abhorrent in content.  241 reads like someone who fancies herself a high-church intellectual but is actually not that smart.

True. But either way it doesn't really matter who's at the keyboard at the time. Spanky has made it obvious he fully backs the First Lady in every way, even to the point of putting her ahead of his own children. Are there any indications anywhere that he may have told her to tone down her posting? Any indications that he's told her to take even a single comment down? If there are I haven't seen it. He approves of what she's doing and he doesn't care that it's causing so much family discord and division. If he had a problem with any of it we would've seen some indication of that. At the very least he would've created his own separate Facebook, not a joint account that just causes everyone so much confusion as to who said what. None of that is by accident. It's all very calculated. Sick and twisted but calculated.

10 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Schmoopy talked about how Sproul’s kids were grieving “too much” too. Definitely seems like they were parroting Junior’s shitty perspective.

The more I think about it, the more I hate him and sympathize with his kids.  I can't fathom how painful it must be to be called sinners *by their own father* for grieving their mother too much.  After he was married to her for twenty years and publicly revered as the model of a virtuous wife and mother, he now claims the religious high ground because he is remarried and has moved on and they have supposedly not.  This is so far outside the bounds of normal parental behavior, I believe that cutting ties with him was the absolute best thing they could do for themselves.

It seems clear that he has a personality disorder and/or multiple addictions.  Upon reflection, I think this actually does absolve his kids of any shitty things they said or wrote while under his roof/authority/influence, including well into young adulthood, until this recent parting of ways.  Parroting him may well have been a survival mechanism.  Of course, they were parroting his spin on a religious doctrine with which they are still mostly affiliated, so we'll see if they continue to slam "sodomites" and feminists with the same gleeful vitriol they learned at Dad's knee (it's not like he's the only source of that in their world).  I hope not. 

And again, poor Betty Lou. Looking at that memorial page I also saw a Christmas message from her that referenced the Muppets' "Twelve Days of Christmas".  This sweet old lady is just trying to hang onto memories of singing silly Miss Piggy Christmas carol lyrics with her departed daughter, and here comes pathologically self-righteous R.C. Jr.  Who Betty Lou probably knew was a shithead all along.  God.

One more thing I'm thinking about: the two adopted boys.  Let's look at all the loss they have experienced in their young lives.  (1) Loss of birth family.  (2) Loss of Denise. (3) Loss of Shannon.  (4) Loss of community in abrupt move from Florida.  (5) Loss of any semblance of a sense of safety, most likely, with Dad's DUI.  (5) Dad-imposed loss of freedom to grieve.  (6) Loss of adult siblings to Dad-imposed family schism. 

It's brutal.

55 minutes ago, mountaineer said:

The more I think about it, the more I hate him and sympathize with his kids.  I can't fathom how painful it must be to be called sinners *by their own father* for grieving their mother too much.  After he was married to her for twenty years and publicly revered as the model of a virtuous wife and mother, he now claims the religious high ground because he is remarried and has moved on and they have supposedly not.  This is so far outside the bounds of normal parental behavior, I believe that cutting ties with him was the absolute best thing they could do for themselves.

If Spanky and Lisa had not been behaving publicly like complete shitheads to Denise's children and parents, I might have a slightly different take on the situation.

I think, even in healthy families, when a parent remarries soon after their spouse dies it can be a serious jolt to the children and parents-in-law.  They will often side-eye the new partner and suspect their motives.  Often with reason.  And they may not be over their own grief yet so see it as disrespectful to the deceased. 

On the other hand, I support people remarrying or forming new relationships after the death of a beloved spouse 90% of the time.  Some people crave and need companionship, are good at being married or partnered, and I don't expect them to throw themselves on a funeral pyre or stay forever single and celibate.  And, especially when there are minor children involved, a new and loving mother is a good thing.

But Spanky and Lisa have taken the alienation of Denise's adult children and parents to new levels of spitefulness in this latest exchange.  I think Darby and co. are justified in their feelings and quite right to cut them off. 

I also really worry about the youngest children still living with Spanky and Lisa.  So many losses and now living with two narcissistic assholes. I hope they will be OK and can reunite with their siblings and grandparents at some point.  

Do we know for a fact that Spanky found Lisa on Ashley Madison rather than through another dating site or church?  I wouldn't be surprised, but I thought Lisa being on Ashley Madison was just our snark.

And I will never forget my tears of joy when Spanky claimed to have accidentally registered for Ashley Madison while surfing the internet "to help his aging parents."

1 hour ago, mountaineer said:

I think this actually does absolve his kids of any shitty things they said or wrote while under his roof/authority/influence, including well into young adulthood, until this recent parting of ways. 

I can't quite absolve Darby completely - yet.  She's said and done some very shitty things in the name of religion as an independent and married adult.  Let's wait to see whether she changes for the better. I don't follow the others, but they have been less publicly shitty IIRC

24 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Do we know for a fact that Spanky found Lisa on Ashley Madison rather than through another dating site or church?  I wouldn't be surprised, but I thought Lisa being on Ashley Madison was just our snark.

This was news to me as well. Is there confirmation of it? 

25 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I can't quite absolve Darby completely - yet.  She's said and done some very shitty things in the name of religion as an independent and married adult. 

This. I can be empathetic over her victimization and the major personal losses of her mother, sister, and now, really, her father but also deplore her callous & even hateful treatment of people she says violate *her* religious beliefs. Not seeing much of the "Golden Rule" in her actions but I hope for better as she matures. 

14 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

I don't know, Junior, is it really worth it? I guess you've decided it is. 

If Spanky is having real financial troubles (as in the McMansion being threatened with foreclosure) then I would not be at all surprised if much-married-Lisa moved on to richer pickin's.

Would I feel sorry for Spanky then?  Hell, no.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

On the other hand, I support people remarrying or forming new relationships after the death of a beloved spouse 90% of the time.  Some people crave and need companionship, are good at being married or partnered, and I don't expect them to throw themselves on a funeral pyre or stay forever single and celibate.  And, especially when there are minor children involved, a new and loving mother is a good thing.

I agree.  It's not the remarriage that bothers me; it's the insistence that he is religiously superior to his kids by honoring their deceased wife/mother wife LESS than they are.  It's the notion of not wanting to appear anywhere on the internet, apparently, in photos with his deceased partner-of-decades.  That is truly bizarre, and takes the behavior very far outside the realm of healthy closure-seeking. 

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

And I will never forget my tears of joy when Spanky claimed to have accidentally registered for Ashley Madison while surfing the internet "to help his aging parents."

I can't quite absolve Darby completely - yet.  She's said and done some very shitty things in the name of religion as an independent and married adult.  Let's wait to see whether she changes for the better. I don't follow the others, but they have been less publicly shitty IIRC

Oh boy, did I screw that up?  I may well have made a mistake with that.  I did not follow that part of their story that closely, so perhaps I caught the snark, not realizing that was speculation.  I can't edit that, can I?  

11 minutes ago, Flyinthesoup said:

Oh boy, did I screw that up?  I may well have made a mistake with that.  I did not follow that part of their story that closely, so perhaps I caught the snark, not realizing that was speculation.  I can't edit that, can I?  

No worries and many thanks for the clarification.  No, you can't edit now, but consider it corrected.

This is certainly not the first time that snark and speculation has morphed into "fact" on Free Jinger -  but we catch it when we can. ;)

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

No worries and many thanks for the clarification.  No, you can't edit now, but consider it corrected.

This is certainly not the first time that snark and speculation has morphed into "fact" on Free Jinger -  but we catch it when we can. ;)

Thank you for questioning it and bringing clarity to this!  I do not like to post false information.  Usually I'm pretty good on checking facts, clearly I did not here. Off to the prayer closet...... :pray:

20 hours ago, Howl said:

Just noting that there is a specific reason why some people experience the taste of cilantro as a cross between dirt and soap and gross, gross, gross. 

It has to do with genes!   According to many websites, most cilantro haters are "people with a shared group of olfactory-receptor genes, called OR6A2, that pick up on the smell of aldehyde chemicals. Aldehyde chemicals are found in both cilantro and soap." 

Am I weird? I can definitely taste soapy overtones in cilantro, but I like it anyway and put tons of it in my salsa and guacamole. 

I also like the smell of gasoline and diesel fumes, so perhaps I am just not to be trusted. :my_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Lisafer said:

Am I weird? I can definitely taste soapy overtones in cilantro, but I like it anyway and put tons of it in my salsa and guacamole. 

I also like the smell of gasoline and diesel fumes, so perhaps I am just not to be trusted. :my_biggrin:

I don’t mind l’eau de jet fuel, so no, I don’t think you’re weird at all !!!

On 1/15/2019 at 5:15 PM, refugee said:

Exactly. I appreciate why there's speculation here that Sproul's horrific behavior is an indication he's back on the bottle. But I say it's far more indicative of dry drunk syndrome.

There are a few telltale signs that indicate a person is struggling with dry drunk syndrome. Psychology Today outlines these signs as:

• Resentment toward friends or family
  • Anger and negativity surrounding recovery
  • Depression, anxiety, and fear of relapse
  • Jealousy of friends who are not struggling with addiction
  • Romanticizing their drinking days
  • Being self-obsessed
  • Replacing the addiction with a new vice (e.g., sex, food, and internet use)

Lisa is behaving so similar to Jr. it causes me to wonder if she might not be a recovering alcoholic suffering from dry drunk syndrome herself. Speculative I know, but something has to account for such hatefulness on her part.

The reason it seems that Jr. isn't on the bottle is there are so many testimonies from former members of his church that say they like him much better when he's drinking than not. Apparently he can get quite mean when he's sober. So it seems Sproul is one of those happy drunks.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived