IGNORED

Spanky Sproul 2: WTF is Happening, In More Ways than One

FundieFarmer

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Uh, what is happening, both in this man's life and also in this thread? 

We don't know exactly what is happening in Spanky's life, although he has remarried and seems to have got off with a mere slap on the wrist for driving drunk with 2 of his minor children in the car.  We also don't know whether he attended his daughter's recent wedding.

As to what is happening in this thread: we have someone rather odd insisting that Spanky's much divorced (gasp!) new Helpmeet is the answer to all his problems.  She is the pearl in Spanky's deplorable oyster and can do absolutely no wrong.

@MamaJunebug, this is the post by young Campbell Sproul we are discussing.  I see no self pity or excuses, but honesty, heartbreak, and grief.  But judge for yourself. 

https://rcampbellsproul.com/2016/12/18/five-years/

@Palimpsest I've been following along, I meant it more as a WTF THIS IS NUTTERY. But I love your summary for those who drop in and definitely haven't been privy to the Sproul fangirling :kitty:

@FundieFarmer, I know and I liked your WTF response.  :)

I wanted to get Spanky's drunk driving conviction front and central for any newcomers to the thread.  It infuriates me far more than his "scandalous" marriage to a divorced woman. 

ETA:  For those who don't get sarcasm - only Spanky's former friends and colleagues would consider marriage to a divorced woman truly scandalous.  Oh, and Spanky himself, prior to his fall from grace.  Hypocrite.

I think it cruel to make irresponsible decisions. Period. I also think six years is along to grieve and not show progress but decline. I'm not into self pity. I am into progressive healing and applauding those who show it by change. 

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

I wanted to get Spanky's drunk driving conviction front and central for any newcomers to the thread.  It infuriates me far more than his scandalous marriage to a divorced woman. 

Mercy! Scandalous? He marries an hot babe and it's scandalous. Half of divorces exist in the church. Looks like happily ever after will be scandalous too! I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

I'm still trying to catch up on the last thread(and now I want a Nessie serving spoon), but I'm guessing Spanky is one who is against gay marriage while being okay with marrying a divorced woman? These sorts of people always act like it is the ebil gays destroying the sanctity of marriage all while they are the ones getting divorced.

If this has been discussed to death in the other thread and I just haven't gotten there yet just ignore it. 

8 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I'm still trying to catch up on the last thread(and now I want a Nessie serving spoon), but I'm guessing Spanky is one who is against gay marriage while being okay with marrying a divorced woman? These sorts of people always act like it is the ebil gays destroying the sanctity of marriage all while they are the ones getting divorced.

If this has been discussed to death in the other thread and I just haven't gotten there yet just ignore it. 

It's been discussed. Different opinions. None of which undo a marriage. 

The other thread is making me laugh so hard. It feels like I'm reading a trashy romance novel written about someone deeply obsessed with Lisa. 

FYI, I have a very, very Christian background, have memorized entire books of the Bible in the KJV translation and I still struggle to understand Schoompy. Also, I'm not criticizing the marriage because I'm a woman. I'm not even in the tiniest bit jealous of Lisa. 

For the first time I've resorted to the Ignore function and it's working. I kept thinking "someone" was drunk dialing FJ and it was a bit tiresome.  Have any of y'all have ever had the weird experience of receiving a call from a drunk stranger -- the call doesn't quite make sense and then you finally realize what's going on?   Now back to your regular programming.  

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Oh. Oops. *hides in turtle shell* 

I has lots happening here and thought maybe you didn't know I was on the other thread. Bahaha this is so awkward for me. You know when you have a lot happening in life and you're generally jumpy and awkward?? That's me right now. Whoops!! <3 <3 @Palimpsest

18 minutes ago, Howl said:

For the first time I've resorted to the Ignore function and it's working. I kept thinking "someone" was drunk dialing FJ and it was a bit tiresome.  Have any of y'all have ever had the weird experience of receiving a call from a drunk stranger?   Now back to your regular programming.  

Oh god that would be so good. Hello FJ? DRUNK FF HERE AND I WOULD LIKE TO TALK ABOUT MY UNICORN SLIPPERS PLEASE?

ETA:

1 hour ago, Schmoopy said:

Half of divorces exist in the church. Looks like happily ever after will be scandalous too! I look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Half of divorces do exist in the church, by some statistics. Being on your 4th marriage is, well, a lot by Reformed standards, and Lisa married into a very well known Reformed family. She is automatically open to more scrutiny: she's a "pastor's wife" (of sorts), she's Sr.'s daughter in law, she's inheriting Ligonier money...she's going to be watched whether she wants to be or not. There is no illusion of privacy when you set yourself up in a role like that in church or otherwise, and I know because I married into a similar role in a conservative denomination. There is simply no way she did not know that.

Also, don't you think it's odd that Sproul Sr. seems to be fine with this? I sure do, and I've paid my dues in the Reformed church (and ARP, and OPC) to be able to ask that. I also think it's odd that all of Sproul Jr.'s sins are swept under the rug while things go on as normal at RBC and Ligonier but he is generally unwelcome at Sr.'s church. Where Sr. has power, Jr. can go. Where Sr. is not entirely in charge, Jr. runs into some issues. 

Look, I don't have any major issues with Sr. I also hope this marriage is successful for the couple, because it's a very sad thing when a marriage ends in divorce, no matter how many marriages have come before, no matter what religion the couple is, no matter what the sins of the bride or groom may be. 

But don't come to FJ sweeping things under the rug and painting things with a broad brush of glory because we aren't ignorant of what goes on.

*shrugs*

I wholeheartedly agree.  No sins swept under the rug. But I do try and give pardon to those who are trying to do better. 

That said- I enjoy the banter.

40 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Being on your 4th marriage is, well, a lot by Reformed standards

That is a heck of a lot by most standards at least in my world!  One of the few people I know of their 4th marriage is my cousin who makes very bad life choices and jumps from one bad marriage to another. 

Marrying an alcoholic who cared so little for his own children that he put their lives in danger very, very recently isn't a wise choice. Lisa needs to think of her own children and bringing them into a home with a guy who is such an alcoholic that he could have easily killed his children would not be in their best interest. It is not like this has been 5-10 years ago and Spanky has had a long time to work on his MAJOR issues. Recovering from an addiction like that is hard and relapsing is fairly common.

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I do see some wadded panties but they seem to be labeled with a name that references a Seinfeld episode. ;)

Mulva??

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I wanted to get Spanky's drunk driving conviction front and central for any newcomers to the thread.  It infuriates me far more than his "scandalous" marriage to a divorced woman. 

ETA:  For those who don't get sarcasm - only Spanky's former friends and colleagues would consider marriage to a divorced woman truly scandalous.  Oh, and Spanky himself, prior to his fall from grace.  Hypocrite.

Exactly -- though one wonders if someone with Lisa's track record in marriage is the best person to deal with major addiction issues in a spouse. As portrayed by @Schmoopy and the couple's own posts on FB, Lisa appears to be an enabler more than anything else, which is NOT what Spanky needs.

And @Schmoopy -- drop the shite about Campbell Sproul taking too long to grieve for his mother. It's ugly & vile, making you look the same.

1 hour ago, Schmoopy said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  No sins swept under the rug. But I do try and give pardon to those who are trying to do better. 

That said- I enjoy the banter.

Bless your heart, you think you’re bantering with us.  No: you are saying heartless things about a person who acknowledges his mental illness and you are fan-girl/boying The New RC Juniors.  We are calling you out on your insensitivity and foolishness. 

I see that you told me to “Move On”, above, and you also have as much as said that Campbell needs to “move on” from his mother’s death. I don’t know you from Adam but if I met you and discovered who you are, I’d laugh in your face and walk away.

I pray G-d you don’t know Campbell personally so that you can’t tell him “move on”  to his face.  Because surely you wouldn’t be so cowardly as to do it behind net anonymity.  

I'm sorry, but the excessive praise of Lisa Sproul has triggered a musical memory:

Holy poo on toast! Why would anyone question grief of another? I know people who still grieve loved ones after 15 years.   

Also, are all of the fundie icons and their supporters are absolute tools? 

1 hour ago, CrossingRivers said:

Holy poo on toast! Why would anyone question grief of another? I know people who still grieve loved ones after 15 years.   

Also, are all of the fundie icons and their supporters are absolute tools?

My mother has been gone for 26 yrs.  I miss her daily and grieve her still.  It is so. incredibly. wrong. to tell someone to move on past their grief or tell anyone how to grieve.  When i was maybe 10 yrs past my mom's death, someone told me i was 'wallowing' b/c I cried over my children not getting to meet my mother. I walked away from that nonsense.

Grief is personal, and there is no wrong way.

On 10/9/2017 at 1:57 PM, MamaJunebug said:

Bless your heart, you think you’re bantering with us.  No: you are saying heartless things about a person who acknowledges his mental illness and you are fan-girl/boying The New RC Juniors.  We are calling you out on your insensitivity and foolishness. 

I see that you told me to “Move On”, above, and you also have as much as said that Campbell needs to “move on” from his mother’s death. I don’t know you from Adam but if I met you and discovered who you are, I’d laugh in your face and walk away.

I pray G-d you don’t know Campbell personally so that you can’t tell him “move on”  to his face.  Because surely you wouldn’t be so cowardly as to do it behind net anonymity.  

Not only is grief different for everyone, but a person will probably not have the same grieving experience for each person they lose. For me personally, the loss of my grandmother changed my world and nothing has been the same for me since that day. I was very close with all of my grandparents though- I had all four of them until I was 21 and none by the time I was 25. It doesn't mean I love(d) them any less than I did my grandma, but I grieved the loss of them in a very different way because they were sick and death seemed more of a blessing than living did.  With her, she wasn't sick; she still had so much to live for and more life to experience. Her death seemed like a cruel cosmic joke and I grieve the loss of her every day.  Time hasn't dulled that sadness, I've just learned to live with it.  I would imagine that Campbell, as well as the Sproul siblings, grieved the loss of their mother very differently than the loss of their sister. 

I dated someone once who said to me "you're still that sad about it? it was 6 years ago, don't you think it's time to get over it?" when I brought up my grandma.  He didn't last long after that.  But it got me thinking about how when others are aware of your sadness, it can make them very uncomfortable, especially if they don't experience grief and sadness in the same way you do.  Which is why I think so many people try to mask those feelings, to appear as if everything is okay, all the while it is just building up inside of them.  Campbell was the oldest of  seven siblings, I'm sure he felt a big responsibility to be be strong and keep it together for them, meaning he probably didn't get to really process his loss in a healthy manner.  And telling him, or someone like him in a similar circumstance, that enough time  has gone by and it's time to get over it, is cruel. Not only does it perpetuate unhealthy coping behaviors, it also shows a startling lack of empathy. He's never going to "get over it;' the goal is to find a way to live with it that doesn't adversely affect your life. That process is different for everyone and it looks different as well- my way of living with it is to talk about my grandma, retell her stories, make a donation in her name on her birthday to a charity; keeping her memory alive.  For someone else, it might look very different from my way, but it's what works for them.

As for Campbell, I think it's very brave of him to talk about those feelings and hopefully therapeutic. I'm sure it has to be difficult to have been raised in such a way as him, being part of a royal fundie family, and then to have your world come crashing down in so many ways and in such a short period of time. 

5 hours ago, punkiepie said:

As for Campbell, I think it's very brave of him to talk about those feelings and hopefully therapeutic. I'm sure it has to be difficult to have been raised in such a way as him, being part of a royal fundie family, and then to have your world come crashing down in so many ways and in such a short period of time. 

Add to that the fact that he was probably very well aware of the violence inflicted on his mom by his dad. He may not add reds th that in his posts but I dare say it has affected him. A brave fellow, Campbell. 

8 hours ago, punkiepie said:

Not only is grief different for everyone, but a person will probably not have the same grieving experience for each person they lose...That process is different for everyone and it looks different as well- my way of living with it is to talk about my grandma, retell her stories, make a donation in her name on her birthday to a charity; keeping her memory alive.  For someone else, it might look very different from my way, but it's what works for them.

Thank you. You've really inspired my family who recently lost a dearly loved member. Your idea of donating to a charity sounds ideal. Especially to a relevant charity personal to the individual. That way the work that they adored will be supported how they would have supported it had they been alive.

• 3 weeks later...

Lisa's deeply-depressed stepson committed suicide. "It is with heavy, broken, and disappointed hearts we grieve at his choice."

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived