Cleopatra7

On ‎18‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 2:09 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

But modern telecommunications are only possible with man made satellites. Do flat earthers believe that no humans have ever been into space but satellites have, or that nothing than originated on earth ever entered orbit? I’m already giving this way more thought than it deserves.

Flat Earthers generally believe that humans going into space is a lie, made up because the different countries all wanted to be the first one in space, so they made up their achievements, and are now only going along with it and pretending that they've been to space because it makes money, they can take the money they claim to be using to research space and do whatever with it.

They believe all satellite images of the Earth are faked by NASA to maintain this conspiracy theory and keep a steady flow of cash (to use on what?).

Reading flat earth forums, it seems that a lot of them either don't believe in satellites and think that all telecommunications work in a different way, going directly between eachother instead of going up into space first, and others think that satellites are real, but are on high altitude balloons that are not in space, but rather just floating very high up (they believe there is a dome covering the Earth, and that the sun and moon are just a few miles wide and inside this dome, and that the sun is like a big spotlight that turns around and illuminates each part of the Earth in turn).

• Confused 6
  • WTF 2
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't have noticed what channel it was, but in 1986 I worked in the Sears accounting department. We all trooped upstairs to watch the launch on the big bank of TVs near the store entrance. They faced the mall and attracted attention from shoppers.

So we all stood there in a crowd, mildly excited and then shocked and horrified and confused. We didn't know how to turn away.

Weird after all this time to think of people deciding that was all made up.

• Upvote 3

• 3 years later...

I know people who were with NASA during both Challenger and Columbia. I also know the author of the book Bringing Columbia Home. A friend of mine was with one of the astronauts who helped identify the remains of the Challenger crew. 

However...just one nitpicky detail. Neither shuttle "exploded". Both were destroyed due to forces that exceeded design limits. In Challenger's case, the exploding external tank full of hydrogen and oxygen exceeded the design limits on the shuttle and it came apart due to aerodynamic forces. In Columbia's case, the breach in the wing allowed the hot plasma to enter then wing and cause the aluminum structure inside the wing to melt. That in turn caused loss of aerodynamic control of the shuttle which was still traveling at something like 15000 mph at an altitude of 200,000 feet. 

For the most part, the Challenger crew was recovered intact. The Challenger crew compartment fell free of the rest of the orbiter and ET, and crashed into the ocean roughly 3 minutes after the ET exploded. It is estimated that the crew compartment reached an altitude of about 60,000 feet. The Columbia crew was not due to the aerodynamic breakup of the orbiter. 

Ok...I'll take my nerd self and go away now. 

I saw both Challenger and Columbia live. Challenger I was shopping with my Grandma and we watched on the TVs, I think i was like four or five. I wanted to be an astronaut and everyone told me that "girls can't be astronauts because they can't pee in space." Which is really weird because there had already been girl astronauts.  Anyway. I saw Columbia because I was watching Fox News for my mass media class, and they reported on it all day speculating about how it might be terrorists or aliens. The professor for that class hated Fox News so we had to watch it and report back about media bias.