IGNORED

Sierra - Strawberries, Duggars, Strawberries

samurai_sarah

9 hours ago, muggleborn said:

biosjp.png

I guess Kristen Nicole Young is Quiverfull?

She did admit to using birth control in another question, but said she got pregnant with her son on the pill and now is just “going with the flow”.... hmm that story is a little bit too familiar...I just hope they don’t end up with 19 Kids lol

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teaching a child to use cutlery and toilet properly makes you qualified to home school? 

Spoiler

17A15323-7130-4710-BAC9-36D7F72BDDB3.jpeg.0e2f12c68969311e0d092b9f31286fe9.jpeg

That makes no sense to me. Using a fork and advanced algebra are not the same.

:wow:

Raising and educating a child are two different pairs of shoes. But I guess you can't argue with that kind of logic. :pb_rollseyes: 

I think we might be aspiring to a different level of education though. If you are going for the bare minimum, then the arguement that you already teach your kids things like tying their shoes kinda makes sense. If you are picturing more advanced learning that you wouldn't know how to provide well...yeah there are schools for that. I really think fundie homeachooling is more about religious indoctrination than it is about education. It's about wanting your kids to stay away from peers and secular teachers. In my opinion. (Not a commentary on homeschooling in general.)

Idk what you guys are talking about, calculus is no harder than wiping your own ass! World history is as easy as not putting a fork through your own eye. Chemistry is as simple as walking upright! Any parent can teach! 

I have to admit that I am glad that I realize the extent of my limitations when it comes to schooling my own child.  I can sit and do homework with him but I would fail at trying to teach him something new.  He has some special learning concerns so that plays into it as well.  I think of these mega families and God help any of the kids that have a learning disorder, ADHD, sensory issues or just a very strong will.  They will fall through the cracks and get punished when they aren't able to do their work.  I saw Sierra's post about it taking all day to do one of the lessons for one of her kids and was appalled.  Her child isn't getting the attention he/she deserves in order to learn, probably because mommy has to keep pausing the lesson to change a diaper, help a sibling, chase a toddler out of the flour.  

Did anyone see the part in her IG story where Sierra is saying she is seeking (or using, can't remember the exact wording) wisdom when someone asked how many kids she is going to have? 

• 2 weeks later...

So I am way late to this discussion (I was visiting this site for the first time in a while and then when I went to reply my account had been deactivated because it had been so long- oops!), but I wanted to put out my two cents on chiropractors for babies.

I am a DO or doctor of osteopathy-same level as an MD in the US but we have extra training in osteopathic manipulation techniques (OMT). Having babies get manipulation on their heads if they are having trouble sucking after birth does really help them because of where the cranial nerves exit the skull and due to the trauma of birth on their little heads/necks, etc. At the hospital I work at, the lactation consultants sometimes ask us to take a look at a baby if they hare having a hard time breast feeding and we do manipulation and babies do great feeding and that's that! However, babies and even kids are usually so healthy and flexible that needing to go to an osteopathic doctor (or chiropractor) every few weeks is unnecessary and just a waste of money.

That's all I wanted to say! sorry for bumping up this thread after a few weeks . If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me (you can DM so as not to bump up this thread more) :)

Just need to say I can't stand Carson Daly. How does he keep finding ways to stay relevant?? He annoys the everloving shit out of me.

• 2 weeks later...

first since when is going to Dollar tree a field trip.  secondly I guess if you believe Sierra's hash tags she still has the flip phone. 

My fifth grade class did a field trip to Costco; it was ostensibly to learn about percents and division (cost per individual item), but I think it was mainly just so the mom chaperones could sneak in a bit of errand running. 

I maintain that the absolute best field trip I ever got to go on was when my high school Mandarin class went to Chinatown in New York and we basically spent the entire time eating delicious food and drinking bubble tea. 

it would be interesting if Sierra elaborated on the Dollar Store field trip.  it would make sense as a school project if she assigned each kid to choose a fixed number of items that met a set theme, like "three items to use outside" or some such.  and then side assignments like stay in pairs and use your indoor voice.

"Field trip" to Dollar Tree just sounds like she's bringing the kids while she runs errands on a day they're supposed to be schooling. Something tells me that happens a lot and most of the time it's not even labelled as a field trip.

I teach second and now third this year. I call BS on her Kinder learning triple digit operations AND being able to perform them without any assistance.  It's possible but with that many kids and how much they travel I doubt it.  These fundies take a workbook and then call it teaching....which ironically is the same thing they criticize us public school teachers for. ETA: I use worksheets, think they have their place but certainly not all day.

On 7/10/2018 at 4:54 PM, MargaretElliott said:

Huh, I didn't even realize baby physical therapists were a thing. Then again, if baby chiropractors are, then that makes sense, too.

Yup. I think it would fall under the category of pediatric physical therapy and the therapists would see older kids as well. But as a toddler I had to see a PT to learn to walk due to issues with weak muscles 

On 7/10/2018 at 11:25 PM, FecundFundieFundus said:

Sort of. They do massages and stretches to affected muscles, various exercises at developmentally appropriate stages, encourage certain postures, teach how to use adaptive equipment and stuff like that.

Yes^^ there is a lot. People don’t realize how much babies are doing. Arm movement, head lifting/support, making a fist, reacting to sounds with limb movement are all very early things for a newborn-ish age baby that can be affected if the baby has delays. I’m a speech pathologist and people don’t understand communication begins long before children are talking in sentences. I’m working in primarily birth to 3 population. Pediatric therapists generally have experience with infants. In graduate school, most programs require a pediatric and adult externship so every therapist has some exposure to both. My center has all 3 disciplines- occupational, physical and speech. 

When I was younger, I had years of physical therapy. Some of my first memories are to do with trying to walk and talk. 

My nephew loves the Dollar Store. I don't know what it is about the place but he loves to go there. He always finds something to buy. My parents would take him there a lot and let him pick out things. He just thinks its one of the funnest places to go. My parents love it because it was the only affordable place they could take him.

Dollar Tree story:  when my nephew (now 19) was about 10, we spent a school holiday* together, and in the afternoon we walked to the DT near my house.  I let him choose any 10 items, and one of the first things he picked was a plunger. Yep, a plunger. He spent a good half-hour carefully selecting the other nine, but he definitely wanted that plunger. So on our walk home, we went along a busy street at rush hour and he had his shirt yanked up to his armpits and the plunger firmly suctioned to his belly. The whole way home. 

*throughout their grammar- and middle-school years, i’d take each of my nephews at least once a year on a special day when they had a day off. We’d do anything they chose; the zoo, science museum, Niagara Falls, etc. we’d have lunch and dinner at restaurants of their choice, and they could always get an (over-priced) item at the destination’s gift shop. But what always impressed me was that, without exception, each of them would ask if they could get a gift to take home to the other; they did this on their own and without prompting, and I always said yes. And more often than not, they requested the gift before picking something for themselves. 

45 minutes ago, catlady said:

Dollar Tree story:  when my nephew (now 19) was about 10, we spent a school holiday* together, and in the afternoon we walked to the DT near my house.  I let him choose any 10 items, and one of the first things he picked was a plunger. Yep, a plunger. He spent a good half-hour carefully selecting the other nine, but he definitely wanted that plunger. So on our walk home, we went along a busy street at rush hour and he had his shirt yanked up to his armpits and the plunger firmly suctioned to his belly. The whole way home. 

*throughout their grammar- and middle-school years, i’d take each of my nephews at least once a year on a special day when they had a day off. We’d do anything they chose; the zoo, science museum, Niagara Falls, etc. we’d have lunch and dinner at restaurants of their choice, and they could always get an (over-priced) item at the destination’s gift shop. But what always impressed me was that, without exception, each of them would ask if they could get a gift to take home to the other; they did this on their own and without prompting, and I always said yes. And more often than not, they requested the gift before picking something for themselves. 

That's so cool and really nice of them. 

22 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

My nephew loves the Dollar Store. I don't know what it is about the place but he loves to go there. He always finds something to buy. My parents would take him there a lot and let him pick out things. He just thinks its one of the funnest places to go. My parents love it because it was the only affordable place they could take him.

My niece and nephew love Dollarama. Honestly, so do I. Before summer ends, I hope to take them shopping there, it's been a pretty rough summer, so they deserve to be treated.

Sierra posted that someone stole "Mark and I's wallets" (I guess grammar isn't on her homeschool agenda). I try to never ever blame the victim [and I've had my wallet stolen even though my quiver is empty], but a bad little voice inside me still says "maybe if you didn't have a boatload of kids you could pay more attention to your wallets."

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived