IGNORED

Sierra - Strawberries, Duggars, Strawberries

samurai_sarah

Usually I kinda rag on Sierra for being waaaayyyy too extra, but I kinda love her being way too extra about her kid's karate class because man, sometimes I wish my parents had been a little more extra about that instead of acting like carting me and my sister to Taekwondo was nothing but a chore. I get that they're just more subdued people, but it would have been nice to feel like they were actually impressed/proud rather than feeling like belt promotion was merely an acceptable return on their investment. 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Usually I kinda rag on Sierra for being waaaayyyy too extra, but I kinda love her being way too extra about her kid's karate class because man, sometimes I wish my parents had been a little more extra about that instead of acting like carting me and my sister to Taekwondo was nothing but a chore. 

Yeah.  And since Sierra is homeschooling the kids, the options to "cheer them on" in events is more limited than if they were going to a real school, so I give her props for celebrating karate achievements.

• 2 weeks later...

Kristen Nicole Young's instagram is public again (she's one of Sierra's besties, no?) She's been switching it to private and public again for at least two times now. She's the headband wearing "Juice Plus- Lose weight while pregnant" and "I temporarily adopted this black baby because Jesus" lady.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Her daughter is almost 2 months now. Of course, she wears headbands, too.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

"I love... chiropractor"

Uhh, is she taking her 1 month baby to the chiropractor? WTF?

It has gotten to be very popular to take infants to the chiro. People say it helps with colic, torticollis, etc. I've heard of people having their baby adjusted the day they are born even. I believe the research on it is conflicting...personally the idea makes me uncomfortable and I would never do it. I also code medical records for chiropractors and honestly, the whole field of chiropractic care seems very murky to me and I question its effectiveness. But hey, if it works for someone I'm not going to judge. 

Oh, this is one area where I will judge. It's dangerous and stupid to take a baby to a chiropractor. Chiropractic is largely a pseudoscience and the chiropractors who work on babies are at best horribly misinformed and at worst terrible people who care more about money than children's safety.

I know a guy from my work who went to an osteopath with is baby daughter but said I don’t want her cracked or something. He didn’t. He only massaged her and the child could finally relax. Beforeshe was crying as if in pain and had a lot of reflux. I know some chiropracters who are osteopaths and that is a big difference. I think for adults it can help but people should be very wary with children

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

Oh, this is one area where I will judge. It's dangerous and stupid to take a baby to a chiropractor. Chiropractic is largely a pseudoscience and the chiropractors who work on babies are at best horribly misinformed and at worst terrible people who care more about money than children's safety.

Yeah I meant my comment more towards adults who go. I haven't done a ton of research on the safety of it on babies, just enough to know I'm not comfortable with it. I still wouldn't judge most of the parents- a lot of them are just ignorant and sometimes desperate for relief of a colicky baby. I'm in a mom group on facebook and I see people suggesting taking babies to the chiro all the time so I think most moms assume its okay if all these other people are doing it. If it truly is dangerous then yes, shame on the chiropractors who do it. 

I have a relative whose baby constantly leans her head to the left. It's causing a lot of muscle tension and could create permanent damage if left untreated, so they're taking her to a chiropractor. I don't necessarily know if taking all babies to the chiropractor is a good idea, but they did a shit ton of research so hopefully it helps. They'd prefer to go to a pseudoscience practice than to let something they know could cause damage go untreated, and I guess that makes sense.

On 6/29/2018 at 2:20 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Usually I kinda rag on Sierra for being waaaayyyy too extra, but I kinda love her being way too extra about her kid's karate class because man, sometimes I wish my parents had been a little more extra about that instead of acting like carting me and my sister to Taekwondo was nothing but a chore. I get that they're just more subdued people, but it would have been nice to feel like they were actually impressed/proud rather than feeling like belt promotion was merely an acceptable return on their investment. 

I'm pretty darn excited she lets her children do karate. I've known fundies who react, "Oh my gosh, the occult! Oh my gosh, Eastern religions!" When someone mentions karate. 

2 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

I have a relative whose baby constantly leans her head to the left. It's causing a lot of muscle tension and could create permanent damage if left untreated, so they're taking her to a chiropractor. I don't necessarily know if taking all babies to the chiropractor is a good idea, but they did a shit ton of research so hopefully it helps. They'd prefer to go to a pseudoscience practice than to let something they know could cause damage go untreated, and I guess that makes sense.

They should really have the baby evaluated by a physical therapist. If it is severe enough it may require a helmet and I wouldn't trust a chiropractor to make that determination. And you don't want to wait too long because as the baby gets older the helmet becomes less effective. I probably sound like a sanctimommy but that's not something I would mess around with. 

Sierra just posted on instagram about how hard but rewarding homeschooling is. She seems like the type that will homeschool until high school and then send them to a private Christian high school. 

I know several babys who had to go to physiotherapeutics when they only were several months old. Mostly there were two reasons. Either the baby turned it's head only to one side. Or the baby had a dislocated first cervical (it's called 'atlas-cervical', too, when I remember it right). But all these parents went to professionell physiotherapeutics and not to a chiropractor. They only had a couple of sessions and every baby had less pain and more mobility afterwards. I am not sure if one of these parents would have gone to a chiropractor with their baby. I think all these parents went to their peditrician when their baby was in pain and he or she sent them to the physical therapist. All costs are covered from the health insurance. Some physical therapists are ostheopath too, when they have an additional profession. I can only speak for myself, but if my baby had problems like that, I would prefer an physical therapist, in optimal case with an additional profession as ostheopath. 

Huh, I didn't even realize baby physical therapists were a thing. Then again, if baby chiropractors are, then that makes sense, too.

@JermajestyDuggar let's hope she does eventually send them to public school. That post basically read to me "this is gruelling and I hate it. At least one of my kids behaves like a shit because he knows there is no structure and I'm too exhausted to do anything about it except be grateful when he decides to cooperate. But this is on my ways to get closer to God checklist." 

She literally said that about the checklist. 

They are using Abeka and Math-U-See - are these the trash courses the Bates use? 

This response was also interesting to me because 1) she denies she's "very religious" lol okay, Sierra. And 2) she doesn't actually answer other than saying it's her "passion". 

Her future concerns me, especially if she continues to endlessly birth her warriors. 

IMG_20180711_013352.png

11 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

she denies she's "very religious" lol okay, Sierra.

It's a pretty standard cliche in Evangelical culture to say things like, "I'm not religious. I have a relationship with Jesus!" Or, "Christianity isn't a religion; it's a relationship." The basic idea is that (Evangelical) Christians have managed to throw off the "empty rituals" of religion in favor of a personal relationship with God.

(I used to think this, too, but now I think it's super annoying because: 1) I think religious habits/traditions can deepen one's relationship with God and religious community, and help avoid narcissistic JUST ME AND JESUS tendencies. 2) It pretends Christianity is *super special* and in an entirely different category from every other "empty" religion. Like no one else cares about a relationship with God, the motivation behind religious practice, having a thoughtful faith, etc.        /rant)

I am surprised that Sierra didn't say something like that, though, instead of just appealing to "morals" and "belief in something bigger than us."

33 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

@JermajestyDuggar let's hope she does eventually send them to public school. That post basically read to me "this is gruelling and I hate it. At least one of my kids behaves like a shit because he knows there is no structure and I'm too exhausted to do anything about it except be grateful when he decides to cooperate. But this is on my ways to get closer to God checklist." 

She literally said that about the checklist. 

They are using Abeka and Math-U-See - are these the trash courses the Bates use? 

This response was also interesting to me because 1) she denies she's "very religious" lol okay, Sierra. And 2) she doesn't actually answer other than saying it's her "passion". 

Her future concerns me, especially if she continues to endlessly birth her warriors. 

IMG_20180711_013352.png

If she thinks it’s hard now, just wait! She will be homeschooling 6 children at once in 4 or 5 years. Plus it’s pretty likely she will have 1-3 younger children to deal with. I doubt she can afford to pay a SAHD to come and help her. But maybe someone will feel sorry for her. 

Her answer of “lawn mowing and bug catching for science and p.e.” in response to what curriculum she uses made me double back and reread, certain I must have seen it wrong. I liked catching bugs as a kid and know basically nothing scientific about them as an adult. 

19 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If she thinks it’s hard now, just wait! She will be homeschooling 6 children at once in 4 or 5 years. Plus it’s pretty likely she will have 1-3 younger children to deal with. I doubt she can afford to pay a SAHD to come and help her. But maybe someone will feel sorry for her. 

And the subjects only gets harder as they get older.  I remember being a freshman in high school, and my parents (both college grads) told me they no longer were able to help me with my math homework.  Because they didn't understand it themselves.  I can't Imagine Sierra teaching a gaggle of high schoolers. 

Anecdote here: according to what my mom has told me, my sister needed physical therapy as a baby due to torticollis. So baby physical therapists do exist. I assume physical therapy on babies involves mostly manipulation, since babies can't exactly follow commands that complex? IANAD, IANAPT, IANAParent, of course.

1 hour ago, albireo said:

Anecdote here: according to what my mom has told me, my sister needed physical therapy as a baby due to torticollis. So baby physical therapists do exist. I assume physical therapy on babies involves mostly manipulation, since babies can't exactly follow commands that complex? IANAD, IANAPT, IANAParent, of course.

Sort of. They do massages and stretches to affected muscles, various exercises at developmentally appropriate stages, encourage certain postures, teach how to use adaptive equipment and stuff like that.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:45 AM, DillyDally said:

Kristen Nicole Young's instagram is public again (she's one of Sierra's besties, no?) She's been switching it to private and public again for at least two times now. She's the headband wearing "Juice Plus- Lose weight while pregnant" and "I temporarily adopted this black baby because Jesus" lady.

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Her daughter is almost 2 months now. Of course, she wears headbands, too.

Reveal hidden contents

biosjp.png

I guess Kristen Nicole Young is Quiverfull?

I'm considering stealing that line to de-fundie it. Dan Savage tries to impregnate his husband as ALL things are possible through god and Fecund Fundie Fundus is accepting all the kids that God bestows upon her, assuming the Depo shot and condoms are no match for god's divine will. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived