IGNORED

Sierra - Strawberries, Duggars, Strawberries

samurai_sarah

I really can't stand grifters and I don't like it when people ask explicitly for expensive gifts. But I know that baby gear and clothing items break or get consumed with time, even if you take good care of them. Our crib was gifted to me by a friend whose 3 kids slept in it before, after my son used it, it got really unsafe (splinters...toddler bites are strong) and shaky. But that's ok, it had a good life :-) I absolutely like hand-me-downs but maybe after 2-3 kids, most items are not usable anymore. So I would keep everything worth using from siblings (cousins, friends)  and get/ask for new stuff too. But not a $220 swing... 

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sierra's last Instagram post is about her husband taking care of their children while she was at an Ob appointment. Part of her caption reads...

"Some say that's his job, in order to be a dad, but on the contrary, that's his CHOICE, in order to be an amazing father" 

Dear Rufus my eyes cannot roll any further back in my head :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: 

oh, so Mark gets to CHOOSE to take care of the children he fathered.   good to know. (end sarcasm font)  

i hope a tiny corner of Sierra's brain sees the bullshit in that logic.

2 hours ago, Meowkitties said:

Sierra's last Instagram post is about her husband taking care of their children while she was at an Ob appointment. Part of her caption reads...

"Some say that's his job, in order to be a dad, but on the contrary, that's his CHOICE, in order to be an amazing father" 

Dear Rufus my eyes cannot roll any further back in my head :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll: 

Is it possible to strain your eyeball muscles from rolling your eyes so hard?

And I get that baby stuff wears out, but I thought Sierra said they gave away "boy" equipment because they had a couple girls in a row, and they can't use the girly Swing etc. for the new baby?

17 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I don't see the need for gendered baby equipment (strollers, carriers, swings, etc).

It's a really clever move from businesses to sell a lot of stuff.  I'm sure most FJers with siblings shared everything with siblings, from onesies to scooters to sweaters, because that makes sense.  But if a company sells things that are aggressively gendered, then everything has to be bought next if there's a brother and a sister.  It's despicable, to me. 

So enraged that Mark gets this praise for looking after his own children for a few hours - clearly a modern hero :2wankers:

17 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

And I get that baby stuff wears out, but I thought Sierra said they gave away "boy" equipment because they had a couple girls in a row, and they can't use the girly Swing etc. for the new baby?

I don't know about the swing and that kind of stuff - it's possible the old one was just worn through - but she definitely gave away all of their boy clothes when she had the girls. People were calling her out on it even then, but as usually, she knew better. I hope no one gives her a single damn item of "boy clothing" (gag me now!).

I read more cause my eyes were just like really? Would he have just impregnated her, go to work and just come home to eat and sleep? It's like I hate the liberal media but let me put in this word of choice for a reason that legitimately makes no sense.

The Duggars' favorite Once Upon a Child store isn't far from Sierra at all and they sell swings and strollers a whole lot cheaper! A $220 swing?? For that much it better have an attached robot that changes diapers!

Thank you to everyone who wished me luck for the shower. It went well. Mom and the two girls dressed traditionally and looked beautiful. Everyone was so generous. She has enough clothes, that I don't think she'll need to do laundry for a month.

@Bad Wolf So happy to hear that it went well. 

Now onto Sierra, baby things do wear out and car seats expire. However, wouldn't the average person just choose netural things that they can use again and again, replacing if needed? Or you know save the money in case there is a potential blessing? Oh silly me! What am I saying? God provides! 

22 hours ago, Meowkitties said:

I give Sierra props for the humanitarian work she put in recently, but damn, does she say the most depressing-ass things about her husband+kids. This reminds me of that time she described someone else's pregnancy as "sacrificing your body so that you can give your husband a legacy" or some miserable shit like that.

I came here when I saw this (that didn't work). Sierra reminds my of a friend I had when my kids were young.  She was a go getter, full of life, energy, she was a fundy lite woman, she wanted to home school her kids but her husband wanted them in public schools so they went to school.  She and her SIL ran a children's ministry at our church they made up these two crazy lady characters, that sang songs and did art projects, they were so over the top, but in a good way. As the kids got older these two started a christian preschool at our church, that eventually turned into a very successful daycare center, and before & after school care program that was very needed in our community. She always had energy for everything and everyone.  Sadly she got sick about 5 years ago, and died 2 years later, leaving her husband and 14 and 16 year old children behind.   She got up in front of the church and said her cancer was punishment for her sins. That broke my heart, but she was a good woman, if not a little too concerned with appearances. 

The This is a pic of Sierra in shorts on insta that I can't link to on my laptop and my phone is dead.

I didn't look to see where Sierra's registry was from, but some store's give you a percentage discount to purchase things that weren't bought by others after the baby is born. Maybe she put it on there, not so someone would buy her $200 presents, but so she could get it for cheaper later. I know she is a bit of a grifter, but I will give her the benefit of the doubt. 

3 hours ago, blackberry said:

but some store's give you a percentage discount to purchase things that weren't bought by others after the baby is born

We did this with a couple of things- breast pump, playpen insert, baby monitor. I never expected anyone to purchase them for us, but if they're on the registry, we get a discount for up to a year after the boys are born.

I think her registry is with Amazon ; I don't know if they offer discounts on unpurchased items.

On 15/10/2017 at 5:49 AM, HarryPotterFan said:

Is it possible to strain your eyeball muscles from rolling your eyes so hard?

If she really wanted to be a Duggar, couldn't her or her husband repaint the swing? Or just use it? Buy used and save the difference... or just don't waste money?

17 hours ago, ophelia said:

And not doing laundry for a month when you have a newborn? Sounds awesome and like the best gift ever.

That does sound wonderful! We got a lot of diapers at the shower for our first child. (I added them up after we brought them home. It was exactly 100.) At 8 diaper changes a day, they didn't last forever, but it was nice to not have to shop for diapers for over a week. :)

15 hours ago, catlady said:

I think her registry is with Amazon ; I don't know if they offer discounts on unpurchased items.

They definitely have some perks.  Wish they'd had this when I had my first kid and registered ther :)

image.png

On 10/13/2017 at 12:37 PM, Screamapillar said:

Yeah, she lost me with the $220 swing and the pack and play. She should have enough of those laying around after so many kids.

Honestly, after so many kids, would someone even want more baby junk crowding up their house? (Says someone who has tripped over their toddler's play kitchen one too many times recently...)

I can see the car seat, because they do have expiration dates. A lot of the stuff is disposable (diapers, baby wash, nursing pads). There's a chance the pack n play they have croaked after so many babies, and that's not something I see very often for sale used (i try for used/thrift/consignment for a lot of baby stuff before buying new). The swing is ridiculous, though! You can get lightly used or like-new cheap with how fast babies grow out of them, and what's the guarantee the new baby would even like it? Even if their old one died a final death, why are they buying a $200-plus one??

As far as I'm concerned, if you're planning on having more than one, making sure at least the big-ticket stuff is gender-neutral is common sense, unless you don't care about a boy using something pink or a girl camo. We know they do, though. Short-sighted and poorly planned.

ETA two points: First, Amazon does do that, where you can buy the rest at a discount, but what the discount applies to isn't necessarily covered. It's like the free shipping. Second, why are they wasting money on Dreft?

(Seriously, how useful are those swings? Mr. NQ and I are discussing a second kid. We never used a swing with Little NQ; would a cheap used one be a good idea for chasing after a toddler while having a newborn?)

On 10/14/2017 at 12:10 PM, Meowkitties said:

Mine appear to be stuck. This could be a problem.

2 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Seriously, how useful are those swings? Mr. NQ and I are discussing a second kid. We never used a swing with Little NQ; would a cheap used one be a good idea for chasing after a toddler while having a newborn?

My girlfriends with kids swear by them. Especially those on baby number 2. We picked up a used one for $30 and it looks like new...even came in the original box. If both boys like it, I'll keep an eye out for a second one. No need to spend $200 on a brand new one!

2 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

(Seriously, how useful are those swings? Mr. NQ and I are discussing a second kid. We never used a swing with Little NQ; would a cheap used one be a good idea for chasing after a toddler while having a newborn?

GryffindorDisappointment HATED her swing. She was in it a grand total of about 23 minutes.

5 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

GryffindorDisappointment HATED her swing. She was in it a grand total of about 23 minutes.

This is the problem with buying things for a baby, you never know if its going to go over well or not!  And that can get really pricy.  A friend of ours gave us like 50 different bottles her LO had rejected . . . 

@justoneoftwo - luckily we were dirt-poor when she was an infant, and we bought the uber-cheap/wind-up-with-a-crank swing for about $20, iirc. lol

OK - and edited because those damn things are selling for $200 on eBay as VINTAGE items. lololol

Search:  Graco Swyngomatic

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived