IGNORED

AOL Instant Messenger is going away

47of74

AIM is going away

It's the end of an era: as of December 15, AOL's Instant Messenger will no longer exist.

In a statement from Oath, the new entity formed under Verizon combining AOL with the recently-acquired Yahoo, the service will be discontinued.

"AIM tapped into new digital technologies and ignited a cultural shift, but the way in which we communicate with each other has profoundly changed," said Michael Albers, vice president of communications product at Oath.

AIM was a staple of personal computers since first launching in 1997, serving as a precursor to popular apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. However, AIM couldn't make the seamless transition to mobile, where most users rely on instant messaging services.

I remember one place I worked some of the people used AIM for instant messaging.  This was before companies offered IM solutions for business.  

7 hours ago, clueliss said:

AIM was still there?  

Apparently so.  I had an AIM account many moons ago.  (And not the ones that stick out of car windows either).  I still have  a couple IM accounts through Yahoo and Google that I never use.   

I never really used IM all that much for personal stuff.  I occasionally do facebook messages and use Apple Messenger with some family members who have iPhones.   I did it more for work.

That really is the end of an era. I remember using it as a teenager. Good times.

Most people just use their phones, WhatsApp, and Messenger on Facebook, since those are more mobile. More people are on the go, or want to communicate on the go, than they do sitting by their computer. It's just easier. 

I wonder if Yahoo messenger will stay around?

Archived