Jump to content

Recommended Posts

MamaJunebug

Hello, everybody, and Free Jana!

Stumbled upon information about Amber Cantorna, estranged daughter of a Focus on the Family executive; Amber’s parents are heartbroken that she’s chosen the lesbian life but do say she is welcome in her family’s home if she doesn’t bring along her wife.

Apparently the book was released October 1. I’ll be requesting from m library, you betcha.

“Focus On My Family”

Amber is so classy that she won’t identify her folks by name, to spare them further distress. Which meant I just spent a good amount of time trying to figure out who Daddie Dearest is. I have my opinions. 

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
infooverload

I've heard a few interviews she has given and she is as you stated classy in a difficult situation. I enjoyed when she was on Everyone's Agnostic and she went into her journey. Another good book is Sin Bravely: A Memoir of Spiritual Disobedience by Maggie Rowe.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
EowynW

This is the second story of ickyness I've heard about FOTF people this week. Another FOTF writer's daughter comment came up somewhere (here maybe?) about her father having affairs with other men and being a craptabulous dad and husband, but her folks were still married and he was still writing. 

  • Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Coy Koi

Amber is indeed very classy for not identifying her parents by name. She would have every right to do so.

I read the FOTF article that article links to about "what to do if your adult child tells you they're gay". It wasn't the worst thing in the world, though obviously pretty bad. (What you should do is give them a hug and maybe bake a rainbow cake or something? Don't ask me, my daughter never "came out" as bi to me because when she felt like mentioning to me that she had a crush on a girl just like she'd had crushes on boys, she just did it and it was never a thing. [Not saying I don't realize what an issue it can be, I'm just saying that, happily, for my daughter it was never an issue with friends and family and she never had to "come out".]  So don't tell her about the rainbow cake or she'll feel cheated.)

Anyway, I tried to search FOTF for what to do if your MINOR child comes out to you, and I could find nothing. Am I missing something or are they just refusing to acknowledge that that happens? Or, and I really hope this isn't it, are they just not wanting to publish what they recommend in that case?

  • Upvote 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night, I was at a performance of "The Laramie Project," which is based on a series of interviews of the residents of Laramie, Wyoming in the wake of the murder of Matthew Shepard. One character mentioned his parents' refusal to attend his performance in "Angels in America" because "homosexuality is sinful." He told them, "But you had no trouble watching me in 'Macbeth,' where I played a murderer."

Edited by Hane
  • Upvote 20
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Rachel333
28 minutes ago, Hane said:

Last night, I was at a performance of "The Laramie Project," which is based on a series of interviews of the residents of Laramie, Wyoming in the wake of the murder of Matthew Shepard. One character mentioned his parents' refusal to attend his performance in "Angels in America" because "homosexuality is sinful." He told them, "But you had no trouble watching me in 'Macbeth,' where I played a murderer."

That reminds me of how when American Idol had Ellen DeGeneres as a judge one season a bunch of people I knew stopped watching it because of her lifestyle. As if the other judges weren't also living "sinful" lifestyles.

  • Upvote 11
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
JermajestyDuggar
10 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

That reminds me of how when American Idol had Ellen DeGeneres as a judge one season a bunch of people I knew stopped watching it because of her lifestyle. As if the other judges weren't also living "sinful" lifestyles.

Oh that happens constantly among the fundies and they can't ever explain it. They try but it's hilarious to read why it's ok to refuse to watch because someone is gay while having no problem watching someone who is currently on their third marriage. Ellen is still married to her first wife and somehow she's worse than the guy on his third marriage. Ok. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

  • Upvote 14
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh that happens constantly among the fundies and they can't ever explain it. They try but it's hilarious to read why it's ok to refuse to watch because someone is gay while having no problem watching someone who is currently on their third marriage. Ellen is still married to her first wife and somehow she's worse than the guy on his third marriage. Ok. :5624795033223_They-see-me-rollinroll:

I've asked this question, too, and never gotten an answer. The Bible says that if you get divorced and remarried it is not okay. It's adultery. (Limited divorce exceptions for abandonment or cheating) Yet most churches welcome people on their second or third or whatever marriages. But if those people are committing adultery why are many churches okay with that? It would be sexual sin, sexual immorality, right? Why are some sexual sins so unacceptable and others aren't? No one has ever given me an answer to that.  I've heard of churches that will not marry a divorced person, but if that person is married in another church the marriage is accepted and the couple welcomed. Why? I wonder what would happen if Ellen DeGeneres showed up there...

  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.