IGNORED

Counting on - Season 4, part 3 - Lying but not Laying while camping

Buzzard

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd also watch an actual documentary about these people. And I'd love a birth announcement where the couple announces they're not going to find out the sex ahead of time, and requests gender neutral clothes. And then they announce that the mom will have regularly scheduled GYNO appointments and go to a birthing center to deliver the baby.

3 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

At our wedding, I high-fived Mr samurai_sarah, and then gave him a pretty brief kiss. The reason? We had specifically asked the officiant to dispense with the "you may now kiss the bride". She forgot all about it and said "how about you give your bride a wee kiss now?". So, I high-fived him instead, and then kissed him.

Maybe it is time for the officiants to do away with "you may not kiss the bride" and substitute

You may now kiss your new spouse. 

I think the problem is that TLC knows that most of their viewership is coming not from people who want to watch a Duggar documentary, but from people who like the glossy, cheesy, People-Magazine-article-come-to-life style episodes. They're still not getting all that many viewers, but more than they would if they went for a documentary style show. TLC ceased to be 'the learning channel' many moons ago.

2 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Wondering about cause & effect:

If we (FJ) went away, would the Duggars also go away?

I have wondered this also. Are there more snarkers watching then fans? They probably need both either way. 

I enjoyed the show when it was the "jill and jessa counting on" 

I felt that was the most real we've ever seen. 

I wish the entire show was like that. Yeah it had the bubbly fakeness but you could see the real through the cracks. 

I think if they showed the real, then it really would be more of a ministry. It's showing "yes, things are hard but we still have our faith, yada yada yada"

25 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I doubt it. I have no reason for thinking that, but I honestly don’t think FJ is the reason they’re still around. 

That said, I’ll take this opportunity to once again implore people here NOT to watch the Duggar’s show. Let the official recappers kill their brain cells and entertain you at the same time. 

(I’d say the same for the Bateses, but I don’t think anyone does recaps for them now.)

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

No; hate watchers from FJ are a very small portion of their viewership. They still have leg humpers, Conservative Christians, who believe that the Duggar way is the right way. 

1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

I wish the entire show was like that. Yeah it had the bubbly fakeness but you could see the real through the cracks. 

I think if they showed the real, then it really would be more of a ministry. It's showing "yes, things are hard but we still have our faith, yada yada yada"

Really?? From the very first special, this show/family has completely skeeved me out. I don't hate them (well I detest JB, Mechelle and Joshly), I just find their beliefs deplorable and I'm sad that they will continue to breed and breed and the hatefulness will spread.  I think there is very little that is "real" (that we see) about any of them, except the hypocrisy. 

1 minute ago, Nikedagain? said:

Really?? From the very first special, this show/family has completely skeeved me out. I don't hate them (well I detest JB, Mechelle and Joshly), I just find their beliefs deplorable and I'm sad that they will continue to breed and breed and the hatefulness will spread.  I think there is very little that is "real" (that we see) about any of them, except the hypocrisy. 

@OldFadedStar never said that she liked them or that their beliefs weren't deplorable, though. She didn't even say they were "real". The closest she got was to say that you could "see the real through the cracks" in the Jill and Jessa special - hardly a glowing statement!

On 10/17/2017 at 7:20 PM, SayWhat said:

Why is Josie always at Michelle's side, sitting on her lap ?  Doesn't Meechelle know she has other young daughters ?  The age gap is between Josie & Jordan is 12 mos than from Jordyn to Jenni is 16 mos.  . You'd think that Josie is Meechelle only young daughter.  Makes me real sad for Jordan & Jenni. They are ones who might write the biography on the Meechelle tell all. 

She's the Miracle Child. The others are just "extras" on the set. duh. lol

One thing I think that has come from Joshy's mess. I think John and Joe were sincerely stunned and HURT by Josh's stupidity. I think they WILL be decent husbands because of it. JB, for that I don't like him, does love his wife. That IS good for the guys to see. But I think Josh's betrayal of Anna was even more valuable to them. They have lived in the house with her as she recovered from her husband's betrayal--from the destruction of her "fairytale," the one she'd been brought up to expect. I don't see either John or Joe letting that happen. I also think neither likes doing the show. I'm assuming they must do X number of minutes on camera to get $$$.

@IReallyAmHopewell Excellent post above. I totally agree about John and Joe. Just because they were born into that cult doesn't mean they are bad individuals. You are so right.....they do not want to repeat Joshley's horrible actions. 

Just caught up on this episode. I had a mean little giggle when Joy and Austin came for the rehearsal and saw what Ms Cindy had done to the church. Joy said, 'I love you!' and Austen said, 'I love you too'... as she went in to hug Ms Cindy. Lolololol.

Also, Joe admiring Kendra's hair and reaching out to touch the bit that was lying RIGHT over her boob. Multiple times! Filth!

FWIW, I think Austen loves Joy but doesn't love the cameras... and I think Joy is really uncomfortable about doing really girly stuff like choosing dresses. She was the same dress shopping before a date with Jessa and Jill: you could tell she was hating the whole thing. I just think neither of them have come across well at points in this series because they are being made to do stuff so out of their comfort zones. I could really feel Joy's anxiety.

Why aren't we shown the in-laws (Austin's family) shopping for wedding clothes or practicing for a musical performance or shopping for their much smaller family or us being introduced to more of Austin's friends?  Certainly, there are people in their lives that are interesting.  Show us Joy preparing for a visit from Pastor Caldwell and his wife.  I would even be happy to see the little girls going to the dentist or even MEchelle getting fitted for a "good" pair of shoes.  Maybe Jana could paint a room and we could watch the paint dry for an hour. There has to be something that would keep our minds occupied.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

@OldFadedStar never said that she liked them or that their beliefs weren't deplorable, though. She didn't even say they were "real". The closest she got was to say that you could "see the real through the cracks" in the Jill and Jessa special - hardly a glowing statement!

Yes, this is what I was meaning. 

One of the most interesting parts of the original 3 episodes was when Jessa was curling her hair in the bathroom... the producer asked her some question and she got really awkwardly silent for a moment. You could tell she really didn't want to be sweet in that moment. 

Those three episodes weren't the perfect happy christian family you see in the rest of the episodes. If the entire series was how those three episodes were, I do believe we would have a more accurate picture of what goes on in that house. 

18 minutes ago, NewOrleansLady said:

Why aren't we shown the in-laws (Austin's family) shopping for wedding clothes or practicing for a musical performance or shopping for their much smaller family or us being introduced to more of Austin's friends?  Certainly, there are people in their lives that are interesting.  Show us Joy preparing for a visit from Pastor Caldwell and his wife. 

On the in-laws--I imagine they must consent to do this. And, be paid! That could be the tough part. I imagine as time goes on (i.e. babies arrive) they will be more exposure if they want it.

4 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

if FJ went away what I would do while I was at work...

4 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

even though the title said Jill and Jessa counting on - it was very little Jill because at that time was in SCA.   the new show is all about the adult children living at the house and the marrieds.

The new show and the old show are two totally different shows because PEOPLE GROW UP and lives their lives...usually away from the television screen opposed to the Duggars / Dillards etc etc.

The marrieds now can go on and on about all their ministries .......and convert more humpers

1 hour ago, OldFadedStar said:

One of the most interesting parts of the original 3 episodes was when Jessa was curling her hair in the bathroom... the producer asked her some question and she got really awkwardly silent for a moment. You could tell she really didn't want to be sweet in that moment. 

that scene is the best scene of all time. It is CALLED THE BATHROOM scene and why because that summed up Jessa and the show to a tee...nothing but narcissistic people who can't be bothered to actual discuss real things.. They would rather curl their hair and pretend.  And why would a camera man follow a young pregnant woman into the bathroom just to get a quote he will never get.  That nailed it for me every time - Jessa was about the brand and nothing else

5 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

I guess this is what I was basing my statement on. Sorry :( 

1 minute ago, Nikedagain? said:

I guess this is what I was basing my statement on. Sorry :( 

Ohhh, no, that's totally fair. I also would have said "I enjoyed the show when it was Jill and Jessa: Counting On" because I enjoyed the style and format of it and found it more interesting, not because I like and agree with the Duggars, so that's how I interpreted that comment - but obviously it makes sense that someone else would interpret it differently. :) 

1 hour ago, nst said:

that scene is the best scene of all time. It is CALLED THE BATHROOM scene and why because that summed up Jessa and the show to a tee...nothing but narcissistic people who can't be bothered to actual discuss real things.. They would rather curl their hair and pretend.  And why would a camera man follow a young pregnant woman into the bathroom just to get a quote he will never get.  That nailed it for me every time - Jessa was about the brand and nothing else

Is there a link to a clip of the bathroom scene ?  I can't recall seeing it. 

Looks like Jeremy didn't get the memo about gazing adoringly at your spouse while they speak! Or even looking slightly interested. :my_dodgy::my_smile:

Spoiler

59e9d6164d04a_ScreenShot2017-10-18at10_17_57.thumb.png.68442c94d74d674d0ebf181d2a1fc38a.png59e9d628259c4_ScreenShot2017-10-18at10_18_43.thumb.png.88dca6dfe0391e824616a44d2e539a70.png

41 minutes ago, jas said:

Looks like Jeremy didn't get the memo about gazing adoringly at your spouse while they speak! Or even looking slightly interested. :my_dodgy::my_smile:

I'm pretty sure that only the wimmenz are expected to gaze adoringly at their spouse like he hung the moon in the sky. The men can do whatever they want, like usual. :pb_confused:

46 minutes ago, jas said:

Or even looking slightly interested.

That's just classic RBF. I have it too. I have to explain the affliction to everyone I meet... lol

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived