IGNORED

Counting on - Season 4, part 3 - Lying but not Laying while camping

Buzzard

14 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't know if Austin doesn't like PDA though; he seemed perfectly comfortable at the wedding and that was televised to the same extent. So what changed? 

A wedding is a more natural environment, maybe?  I think it would be hard to get used to the dog and pony show that is part of the Duggar's life.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, backyard sylph said:

Not referring to a them, actually; I was trying to be...indirect. So many conversations here right now are tense and filled with conflict.

I read your post meaning that you'd think that someone who rejected one of your kids on the basis of something possibly rather trivial, wouldn't get your vote of confidence in terms of long-term partnership. And I personally agree with that stance.

Years ago, I broke up with a long-distance boyfriend, citing the cost of travelling as a reason. It was a very pragmatic reason, but neither he, nor his family were impressed. Needless to say that I didn't get a vote of confidence from them, when we got back together. They were concerned that I'd drop him again on a whim, break his heart again, and that maybe it was better for both of us to find different partners who were better suited to us.

It took a few years, until they started trusting me with their loved one again. They didn't think I was a bad person, they just thought that I wasn't right for *him*! And they really didn't want me to hurt him again. 

These days, my in-laws and I have a very good relationship. But I completely understand their reluctance to let me back into their lives, and their former resentment. I am glad they forgave me for breaking Mr samurai_sarah's heart once, and were willing to give me another chance.

What I am trying to say in a long-winded way is that everyone tries to protect their loved-ones, so I agree with your stance. Someone may be good for someone else, but completely the wrong person for another.

I expected to be thoroughly disturbed by the Austin/Joy kiss in the TH thing because I read this thread before I watched the show. I was disappointed tbh--it seemed pretty normal and playful to me? It just reminded me of me & my s/o being silly and was actually one of the few times Austin seemed to me like a regular dude in ~luv~ rather than an emotionless robot 

1 minute ago, brusselsgriffon said:

I expected to be thoroughly disturbed by the Austin/Joy kiss in the TH thing because I read this thread before I watched the show. I was disappointed tbh--it seemed pretty normal and playful to me? It just reminded me of me & my s/o being silly and was actually one of the few times Austin seemed to me like a regular dude in ~luv~ rather than an emotionless robot 

That happens to me a lot. It never seems as big as the discussion about it. I don't mean that to sound unkind. I think it's just like the Telephone game sometimes; the more you discuss it, the more it develops. Or, something to do with the uncertainty principle. :-)

9 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

That happens to me a lot. It never seems as big as the discussion about it. I don't mean that to sound unkind. I think it's just like the Telephone game sometimes; the more you discuss it, the more it develops. Or, something to do with the uncertainty principle. :-)

Agreed. There is also a tendency on here for folks to sort of hype up part of an episode, or exaggerate for discussion sake, because there is a lull in news/announcements/events happening in fundie world.

I like PDA, but definitely dial it back at certain moments. There's a time and a place.

Plus my same sex lover and I risk getting harassed or assaulted for even the most casual PDA in some places.

23 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

Agreed. There is also a tendency on here for folks to sort of hype up part of an episode, or exaggerate for discussion sake, because there is a lull in news/announcements/events happening in fundie world.

It's quite understandable!

As to Austin himself, I was thinking that he might have been more into it when they were new and eager to touch, but then some family member or friend said, "ooh, I saw you kissing on TV," and it woke him up to his natural discomfort with it. We can't really know, only that Joy has grown up in front of the camera, while his time was limited and probably even more scripted. He didn't seem ugly about it, just sort of laughing it away.

28 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

Same. I was expecting to be completely horrified by the JinJer coffee/car incident, but it was really no big deal.

37 minutes ago, Feministe9000 said:

so you don't think Jessa is queasy :D 

You guys make great points about the PDA thing. Austin still bothers me for various reasons, but he and Joy being kind of out of sync in the PDA department probably isn't the best indication of his personality or their relationship!

Austin has a business and makes Non-Boob related money.

So, in their fundie world I feel positively about him. I think he seems to love Joy very much. I wish them all the best, them and their bzillion children. Sigh.

14 hours ago, snickers34 said:

Those damn neon's were good for nothing!

They were good for scrap? At least I think that's what happened to mine after I traded it in... :my_biggrin:

Seriously, though, if you have any idea of the gas mileage and/or a working fuel gauge, how do you run out of gas like that?!

1 hour ago, brusselsgriffon said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw it that way.  DH and I do this too, its just fun and games, he isn't repulsed by me, he's just being an asshole, and that is why I love him.

1 hour ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I like PDA, but definitely dial it back at certain moments. There's a time and a place.

Plus my same sex lover and I risk getting harassed or assaulted for even the most casual PDA in some places.

Just wanted to clarify, that I used the "sad" reaction not because of the pda comment, but sad that we live in a world where you'd have to hold back affection because of assholes.

13 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

So is everyone perfectly OK with PDA? I am not. I would pull away from my husband anytime he tried to kiss me if the cameras were rolling. It has nothing to do with how much I love him or me trying to control him. I just don't want an audience. Austin could be the same way. 

My husband considered any touching outside the bedroom to be 'public'.   He'd pull away all the time.   Even alone in the car if I put my hand on his knee he'd wiggle it off.   

In an interesting turn of events, counting on pulled almost normal numbers for the wedding "special."  Normally there is a bump for weddings.   They had 1.3 million viewers and a 0.3,

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/monday-cable-ratings-october-16-2017/

The 8PM slot put them in the top 25 of cable shows for monday, but the 9PM slot didnt place at all...  Thats a pretty big deal for a Duggar show.

I'm putting this info that I wrote after JInger's wedding here for reference for the future.  Wedding viewers are definitely down in Duggardom.

Josh and Anna - 3.2 Million

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9MzMyMjEyfENoaWxkSUQ9MzE0NDk4fFR5cGU9MQ==&t=1

Jill - 4.4 million

https://corporate.discovery.com/discovery-newsroom/duggar-wedding-rings-record-ratings-tlc/

Jessa - 4.3 Million 

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2015/04/06/19-kids-and-counting-wedding-propels-tlc-to-number-1-in-tv-on-tuesday-night-763415/20150406tlc01/

Jinger - 1.84 Million

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/tuesday-cable-ratings-november-15-2016/

Joy - 1.359 Million

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/monday-cable-ratings-october-16-2017/

The place I looked treated the two hour block as one show so no separate report for 9:00.  Did they perhaps do the same?

Just now, Coconut Flan said:

The place I looked treated the two hour block as one show so no separate report for 9:00.  Did they perhaps do the same?

Thats possible.  Either way, pretty sad numbers for a wedding special.  YAY!

34 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Thats possible.  Either way, pretty sad numbers for a wedding special.  YAY!

I am not sure that they really promoted it as a Very Special Episode the way that previous weddings were promoted so I think some of the people who only want to tune in for big moments may not have known this was the week to tune in. It just felt like a normal week being promoted.

I also think ratings would be better if they only showed a wedding once, instead of showing the quickly edited version, then the wedding planning, then showing a longer version of the wedding again. By the time the full version of Joy's wedding was aired, we saw the pictures and knew she was pregnant and showing. 

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

I don't know if Austin doesn't like PDA though; he seemed perfectly comfortable at the wedding and that was televised to the same extent. So what changed? 

a couple of weeks by then and she was probably already pregnant - so in his world he succeeded. 

Just had time to watch the episode, or rather, have it on in the background... *Yawn* I really didn't need an hour long wedding special right after they got married, then this two hour re-hash of the wedding. Its even more boring and redundant than it was the first time around. 

On the episode itself I really can't add anything that hasn't already been said except I would hate to be 'the A team' (or more than likely the poor hangers on) that got to clean up all the hay and confetti after the wedding. What a ridiculous and completely unnecessary mess. I had to clean flour off the stage during intermission for a show I stage managed once and it was AWFUL (and this was a small theatre, not a mega church).  

Since Monday is the season finale it's safe to say they aren't going to show Jill's latest birth episode. It makes me wonder what went wrong. This is very strange for the Duggar family not to show a major life event. 

19 minutes ago, 3 ring circus said:

Since Monday is the season finale it's safe to say they aren't going to show Jill's latest birth episode. It makes me wonder what went wrong. This is very strange for the Duggar family not to show a major life event. 

Jill was still pregnant at Joy's wedding which I think is where we always knew they would end the season (minus the flash forward to Joe's wedding next week) so even if things had gone well I don't think we would have seen Samuel's birth this season. Next season they are most likely going to go back and show everything that happened between Joy's and Joe's weddings, so it's possible they're going to do some sort of birth episode or acknowledgment next season, although I don't think we will see as much as the previous births.

I think they’ll do the same thing as with Joy and Austin: show the one hr wedding episode,then show everything that happened before, then show the 2hr special. 

I’m inclined to this since we know they filmed Joy and Austin’s honeymoon, and also, on the preview on Monday joe said that next weeks episode would be a first look at the wedding. 

We’ll probably get to see Joe’s wedding 3 times: the tlc go thing, the 1 hr and the 2 hr :confused2:

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived