IGNORED

Counting on - Season 4, part 3 - Lying but not Laying while camping

Buzzard

15 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

I hate the way that Joy is constantly deferring to Austin. There's a difference between being indecisive and asking his opinion on some things and needing him for everything. 

Yes! And the way Austin reacts makes me cringe. Maybe im too overly sensitive on the lookout for patriarchal BS but the way he inspected her veil (front and back) seemed so controlling. 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Austin and thought he was fine. Joy kept asking him his opinion so what could he do. He does have a business and seems to have a good work ethic. 

I hope it will be a good situation for Joy as women are clearly at a disadvantage in this cult.

I can't wait to see their house when it is finished. Which it should be by now I would think.

The kissing thing where Austin was pulling back, I'm on the fence here, DH does this to me but it is in a teasing and playful manner.  LIKE NO WOMAN not today will I succumb to your charms. Or I'll purposely try and accost him when I know he'll be embarrassed, not mortified, but where his brothers or someone will give him shit for being "whipped" by his wife.  It kind of came off as a playful to me for the most part.  There were 1 or 2 times he said something that seemed to be way over the top controlling, but that is their world, and as much as WE hate it, they expect it, and accept it. As long as they aren't abusive and or aggressive in their control that is pretty much the best you can hope for in a marriage like theirs. As sad as it is, its what she was raised to be her husbands, personal anything he wants her to be.

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

OF COURSE!  I appreciate volunteers to take the flogging for me!

You wouldn't want me to do a recap - they'd all read

Same old shit as usual.   Take a drink. 

43 minutes ago, mstee said:

Yes! And the way Austin reacts makes me cringe. Maybe im too overly sensitive on the lookout for patriarchal BS but the way he inspected her veil (front and back) seemed so controlling. 

Just because we are seeing small hints and inferences here and there from Austin, how is this any different than what we already know? They are all raised on patriarchal bullshit, Joy was playing her part, and so was he.

I don't get why anyone thinks Austin is creepy, he isn't , I think that he is an awkward guy on camera, and hasn't grown up having his whole life filmed, not including kissing and PDA on top of that. Joy is used to being filmed and is probably high on the freedom of being able to show and display physical affection  husband/boyfriend. He also has been raised in the same belief system as Joy, soooooo.....what's with the surprise at any of their behavior????

:pb_rollseyes:

1 hour ago, Carm_88 said:

I hate the way that Joy is constantly deferring to Austin. There's a difference between being indecisive and asking his opinion on some things and needing him for everything. 

Seriously. Her going to him to ask about the veil and basically saying "just tell me what to do..." was a little much. I think Joy is caught up in her first intimate relationship where you are in your own little world and everything is about each other. 

To each their own but she doesn't seem mature enough for marriage. I do wonder if her inability to make decisions is starting to drive him crazy.  Unless I don't pay close attention she always has seemed to be able to be a leader. Possibly now she trying to fit into a mold and this isn't the girl he was drawn too. Yet another reason, it might be good to be able to date other people then just one and get married. 

I liked that when she was asking him about the veil he really pressed her about what she wanted. I was kind of shocked to see that as it always seems like "Austin likes the forehead band," "Austin likes A-line dresses," "Austin likes my hair this way," etc. I guess I just kind of assumed he was assertive or controlling but to me it really does seem like Joy can't make a decision and is obsessed with what he wants (and did I pick up on a little annoyance from him on that?) It makes me seriously question her maturity level and reinforces my doubts about their whole "date with the intent to marry" thing. But maybe I'm wrong and she just need some tools to help her transition from being squashed in the middle of 20 kids and trying to be a "big kid" to being in a smaller home and in a different role.

Also, it never fails to shock me how things escalate so QUICKLY around there. From courtship to 3 month engagements to "hey, let me get a little squirt of that breath spray" and "we won't be around long at the reception!" and last but not least "Oh hey, I'm preggers!" I remember when I was 19 and practically virginal. Just the thought of going from first kiss to home run in a matter of hours would be enough to send me hiding with embarrassment! It just doesn't make any sense to me.

And Kendra didn't seem as giggly this episode as most which I found to be quite a relief. I was making fun of her giggling the whole episode and the Mr. (who never watches reality and DESPISES the Duggars) looked at me like I was stupid because he got sucked in for part of an episode and she didn't giggle once. It made me be able to view her as less nit-witty and more of a "normal" person for their group. I'm quite intrigued about their wedding episode.

I finally watched - so some thoughts. 

How many freakin'  'best friends' do these people have?    Kendra's sister says they've been best friends but Kendra says that Joe is her best friend.    

Also, does any guy in that family get his shirts ironed besides Boob?   Do they store their shirts in a ball in a drawer?  (speaking of the green shirt Joe wears to go to Jessa and Ben's)     Ok, so I don't iron Mr Moon's shirts - but I take them out of the dryer before they are quite dry and hang them up.   And if they need a touch up he does it.   He does not go out looking like all his shirts spend any time that they are not on his back wadded up in a ball.   

When Austin says that Joy is always right is it because she doesn't have a single original thought in her head - that she always does what he wants that is what makes her right?

I know it was addressed in another post but running out of gas?   Really?   Do they not check the gas gauge?   Lights do come on when you are running low. 

Didn't we already have a "bring the outside inside' wedding?  (Jessa?)

Jinger's skirt, coming in from the airport, is so short.   Yes, she has leggings on - but I'm surprised she would wear that sort of thing where her parents can see her.

I put in 4 gallons of gas.   We get 4 miles per gallon.   About 12 miles away.   Hmmmmmm He can make it.   Glad he excelled in math at SOTDRT

With all the fuss over the dress and all why not take a few moments to consider your shoes?   Those brown sandals would be fine with a jean skirt - but your wedding gown?   

And the hay (or whatever it was) all down the aisle?   What a mess.  

I am the only one who has noticed how bad the male Duggar children's hair is. They all look like little old men with their majorly receding hairlines. It doesn't help with the fact that they aren't that attractive to begin with. The girls are the ones with all the looks......no wonder why Josh had to cop his first feel from his sisters. Lol

joseph-duggar.jpg

Spoiler

josh-anna-duggar.jpg

Spoiler

5e6171e515101371e1e039a476d10945--john-david-duggar-james-duggar.jpg

Spoiler

18dff5fbf0b3e3af67ea731d4f6d3591--duggar-courtship--kids-and-counting.jpg

Umm. This is in poor taste new poster....

*specifically what you said about copping a feel from his sisters. One was five at the time. 

6 hours ago, nst said:

I loved everything you posted. I also didn't like Austin avoiding her while she tried to kiss him at the end. What was that about?  It was game playing with the camera or perhaps a weird controlling vibe from him that was just off. 

I noticed that also. He seems to frequently pull back when Joy tries to kiss him. He pulled head back to avoid a kiss during the most recent reunion special. I recall that it took place 26 days after their marriage. Perhaps he doesn't like PDA.

@leggs420  Wow that is VERY poor taste. First, what you said about Josh is not funny, at all. Those poor girls did NOTHING to deserve what Josh did to them and blaming it on their good looks is disgusting. Second, those boys have no control over their hair genes. I always find the comments about their receding hairlines to be incredibly childish and is totally BEC over something those boys had no say in. My husband just turned 27 and guess what? He's been balding since sometime around the start of his 20's. I found him incredibly attractive 10 years ago when he still had a full thick head of hair and I still find him incredibly attractive with the short buzz cut he now sports. 

@Feministe9000 no surprise- at all. I just was judging the situation. It makes me sad to see what I see as Austin being controlling and joy being unable to make a decision, but at the end of the day she is young and in love and wants to please him. I think a lot of us have been there but then had time to mature before diving into marriage and kids. But this is what she was raised to do. I wouldn't say Austin is creepy, and I agree he's awkward on camera. 

I was SO looking forward to watching the full wedding special today, but of course my TLCGO isn't working. :pb_rollseyes: Thanks for the recaps and comments, everyone!!

I've gotten the vibe on a few occasions that Austin just isn't that into Joy. That sounds utterly ridiculous considering they just got married, but who tf knows what goes on in fundieland and whether Austin felt guided/rushed/pushed into anything. Hopefully he's just awkward on camera. It's definitely a weird dynamic from what I've seen and what people have said about the latest episode.

I'm always leery of the old "Person 1 liked Person 2 for SO LONG and everyone knew it and one day Person 2 spontaneously decided they liked Person 1 too!" love story. Mostly because everyone I've ever known in a Person 2 situation was actually pressured into things by peers/parents/teachers/Person 1. And it never ends well.

1 hour ago, leggs420 said:

.no wonder why Josh had to cop his first feel from his sisters. Lol

JFC, are you serious? This is the most fucked up line of thinking! I can't believe that anyone would think that was acceptable to post such a thing. 

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Umm. This is in poor taste new poster....

*specifically what you said about copping a feel from his sisters. One was five at the time. 

I (as a 70 yo grandmother) found this  (the original poster) to be in exceptionally poor taste.    We do have guidelines.  Yes, I will admit I have been taken to task about one of my posts and have learned my lesson.  I do hope this original poster has learned the guidelines of this site.

With reference to Austin pulling away on camera that says a lot.  I think each couple has their own rules with public public displays.  Ben and Jessa never were demonstrative at all it was like a given, Jill and Derick hands all over each other to a degree, Jeremy and Jinger are a different kettle on their own....but Austin pulling away at the start of a relationship or a start of marriage is not a good sign.  Again it must because she defers to him when in reality it should be them deferring to each other like every other couple seemed to agree to do. 

1 hour ago, leggs420 said:

I am the only one who has noticed how bad the male Duggar children's hair is. They all look like little old men with their majorly receding hairlines. It doesn't help with the fact that they aren't that attractive to begin with. The girls are the ones with all the looks......no wonder why Josh had to cop his first feel from his sisters. Lol

What the ever loving fuck is wrong with you?

2 hours ago, leggs420 said:

I'd rather be physically ugly then the type of ugly you are. 

6 hours ago, Feministe9000 said:

I don't get why anyone thinks Austin is creepy, he isn't ,

Maybe not to you, but creepy is in the eye of the beholder.

He has always creeped me out.  More so than any of the other Duggars-in-law.  Although I confess I missed Derick.  We now know for a fact that he's a creep.

12 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

What the ever loving fuck is wrong with you?

Clearly many things, including thinking molestation is funny. There's something in the water in Duggarville this week. :/

2 hours ago, leggs420 said:

(snip)

no wonder why Josh had to cop his first feel from his sisters. Lol

(snip)

That says more about you than it says about Josh.

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived