IGNORED

Fruits and Veggies

Curious

Talk about your fruit and veggie gardens here.

• 9 months later...

Anyone want to share what they've got growing this summer?  It's been a big garden year for us, as it's the second summer in our new house and the yard is slowly becoming one big garden.

Tomatoes, peppers (hot and sweet), pole beans, runner beans, long beans, winter squash, thai and korean eggplants, carrots, beets, radishes, cowpeas, cucumbers, and lettuce are what's growing at our place.  Almost everything is in raised beds and it's so much easier to weed, but requires more frequent watering.

Sounds good @GuineaPigCourtship! I like the sound of the eggplants. This is also our second summer in a new house and I have expanded what we are growing, also mainly in raised beds but also in large pots and bags of compost in strategic places around the lawn and play house.

This year we have:

Golden courgettes, white patty pan squash (Patisson Blanc), Trombocino squash,  Pacific Giant pumpkins (taking over the garden!), runner beans, French beans, field beans, tomatoes (2 varieties), potatoes, purple sprouting broccoli, kale, beetroot, strawberries (finished now), summer raspberries, autumn raspberries, blueberries, and oca (new for this year).  Oh and peas, but the pigeons have shredded the plants and we’ve had about a dozen pods.

We have strawberries (I put in), black raspberries and blackberries that are fruiting this year - the latter two were planted the year before we moved in and this is the first year with any substantial crop.  I also put in peach trees, a nectarine, apple trees, pear trees, and plum trees.  Looks like we'll get peaches and nectarines but nothing else due to the awful gypsy moth caterpillars.  I planted about 82 tomato plants, mostly in pots, as well as my raised beds.  My husband really only likes fruit, not veggies, so I've been trying to add some things he'll eat to the garden.

Needless to say, I am eagerly awaiting the end of July when most of it should start producing.  At least all the plants love the hot weather we've been having.  Even the lettuce is tolerating it surprisingly well.

Black raspberries sound nice, @GuineaPigCourtship! My dad always said to grow what you like to eat and to prioritise things that are expensive or difficult to get hold of in the shops, so I hope your fruit trees produce for your husband. We don’t really have room for fruit trees, although I am trying to find space for some gooseberry bushes.

Archived