IGNORED

The Seven Sisters Go to Work

Hisey

I was browsing through the Seven Sisters fb page today. I found it through Lori's chatgroup (apparently they are members). Anyhow the sister who works as an EMT has applied for a job as a phlebotomist at a local hospital. That's a real job! A job (I think) with salary, benefits, etc. A phlebotomist! So glad this girl is not waiting around for Prince Charming (Prince Charmings seem to be few and far between in their area, since none of the sisters have married).

Another sister is working at a public school. Though she makes fun of the tradition of school pictures, I'm glad she is out of the house. And I mean, really, school pictures? Could anything be less harmful? There's a lot to criticize about public school, but school pictures is pretty benign.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can stomach the seven sisters much more than other fundie families since they are allowed a real education and real jobs. And it's probably why none have married. I would be wanting to get married young if I had nothing better to do than sit at home and help raise my siblings. But since they seem to have fulfilling lives, they aren't in  a rush to get married and pop out a bunch of kids ASAP.

The older ones have been working outside the home for years. I don't think they were ever forbidden to do it, they just didn't post about it on their blog. Susannah is well on her way to qualifying as a midwife (and her course is accredited, i checked) and before she started her professional training she worked at a post office for several years. Jessica is working towards becoming a commercial pilot and several of them appear to work, or have worked, in retail at various points.

It's Cassia who's the EMT. It was her who was working as a lunch lady at a public school and who wrote the post about school photos. FWIW, she says in the post's comments that she wasn't making fun of it, and i get the impression that she was just thinking 'hey, that seems a bit of an odd thing to do' rather than making fun in a malicious way. 

BTW, Susannah and Anna seem to dress solely in modern modest and headbands nowadays, rather than in frumpers and lace head coverings - and most them have been wearing tshirts etc for years. The only sister who seems to wear frumpers exclusively is Leah, who has always come across as being quieter and more 'traditional' than the others. Jessica, Susannah, Cassia and Anna have personal Facebook pages in addition to the group page, and all the sisters from Anna on up have personal instagrams (Leah's is private though).

I have a huge soft spot for the 7 sisters.  I think they seldom update the blog because they are actually getting on with their lives.  They are out-going and friendly.  They are not isolated.  They work. They talk honestly about their challenges and not everything is roses.  And they do have fun.  Lots of fun.

I could probably shoot holes in their theological perspectives, if I wanted, but I like to be "live and let live" with them. 

I don't know if they were expressly forbidden from working but I think the family has only warmed up to the idea in recent years. A while back one of the sisters wrote a post on the blog about how she had been very depressed and even suicidal because she felt like she was just sitting around at home waiting for her life to start, and after she opened up to her parents about it they gave her their blessing to pursue a career. I think it was after that when the other sisters started following different career paths. FWIW, I think it speaks well of the parents that she felt comfortable discussing her mental health with them.

Does anyone here know anything about pilot licensing? I've been following Jessica on instagram and it's cool to see how far she's come. She posted a pic recently of a book that she's using to study for her next certification, but I'm not sure what exactly she's getting certified for.

I've always like the 7 sisters since I started following their blog (thanks to FJ), and agree with Triplet 3. They do seem happy and fulfilled. 

Not sure what the pilot qualifications are for Cassia, but I think it's great that she's pursuing it. Maybe someday she'll pilot a large commercial jet. Her sky is the limit.

1 minute ago, Inky said:

Not sure what the pilot qualifications are for Cassia,

Jessica is the pilot.  Cassia is the EMT.  Susannah is the midwife.  I think it is Anna who is the photographer.

Anna also went on a mission trip without a sister or parent chaperone. Of course she was with a group but at least her parents trust her enough not to force a sibling to go with her like some other fundies. 

47 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Anna also went on a mission trip without a sister or parent chaperone. Of course she was with a group but at least her parents trust her enough not to force a sibling to go with her like some other fundies. 

True. And her mission trip didn't sound like a Missioncation like the Dillards. She posted lots of pics and info about what she was doing. She spoke of the children and you could see they held a special place in her heart. 

I also have a soft spot for this family, especially after one sister shared her struggle with depression. I think the parents did right by her by searching for active ways to help her and not just telling her to pray about it. I'm glad they are happy and exploring life in their own way.

I have a soft spot for them as well, and I find myself rooting for them as they mine their own paths in life. They have a certain joie de vivre about them that is infectious. 

Do you have a link to their blog? I'd love to read. 

My SAHD years were aimless, soul sucking and depressing. I'm glad they had parents who listened. My mom just said it was me not staying busy enough serving others and being too self centered. 

I'm another one with a soft spot for them, as they have more control over their lives than other fundies have. Also, they might not update their blog much, but it means they have busy lives.

12 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

A while back one of the sisters wrote a post on the blog about how she had been very depressed and even suicidal because she felt like she was just sitting around at home waiting for her life to start, and after she opened up to her parents about it they gave her their blessing to pursue a career. I think it was after that when the other sisters started following different career paths. FWIW, I think it speaks well of the parents that she felt comfortable discussing her mental health with them.

It's the opposite of the Boyers, isn't it?  And ironic because the Boyers aren't allowed careers, but were pimped out by their parents as a singing group since they were tiny. 

(I don't get the whole Fundy thing that it's fine for their school-aged kids to work for money in the ways the parents want, but a career is Satanic!  From the Duggars and Bateses to the Rodrigueses and every other singing "missionary" that takes cash.  At least the Seven Sisters' parents were consistent in their SAHD-promotion, and I'm so glad the Sisters can have the fulfilling lives they want)

Other fundies with adult daughters could really take a page out of the seven sisters' book *cough* Steve Maxwell *cough* I think Sarah would really enjoy having a job outside the house. Maybe working at a preschool or taking real photography classes. 

Why saddle these girls with extraneous information that comes up in internet searches? Do they not have a right to pursue their ambitions without being featured on a snark website? You would want all this out out there about you for your potential employers and business contacts to read? Are you wishing to relegate them to some subpar existence by openly critiquing their lifestyle choices?

Instead of being surprised that they broke free (of constraints projected on them), perhaps they were never as hindered to begin with.

So, they don't dress like you dress. Your way is correct and theirs is not because.....?

23 minutes ago, really rookie said:

Why saddle these girls with extraneous information that comes up in internet searches? Do they not have a right to pursue their ambitions without being featured on a snark website? You would want all this out out there about you for your potential employers and business contacts to read? Are you wishing to relegate them to some subpar existence by openly critiquing their lifestyle choices?

We only discuss things that they have already put out there for the public to see. Most of our threads are fairly nice about them, though we have criticized them for illegally using train tracks to sing. In general most people here like the Seven Sisters. There are some major downsides to posting all about your life on the internet, one of them is that you will almost certainly get criticized somewhere. 

If they just wore clothes differently than we did, it would be one thing, but their belief system is a dangerous one that harms both men and women. Patriarchy isn't something that should be ignored. 

I'm glad they have decided to go out and pursue their dreams.

44 minutes ago, really rookie said:

You would want all this out out there about you for your potential employers and business contacts to read?

We only comment on what they have voluntarily put out there for others to read - including any potential employers and business contacts.   Potential employers are more likely to read their facebook and blog in the original, not a snark forum, anyway.  :confusion-shrug:

The way they dress gets them a lot of attention in real life too.  If you asked them they would almost certainly say it was part of witnessing their Christian beliefs.  They don't intend to fly under anyone's radar.

It really is refreshing to see the 7 sisters pursuing their dreams.  Unlike many of the other Fundies who put their lives on public display.  Such a change from the Boyer sisters who are marketing themselves along with their MLM.

Thank Rufus the Seven Sisters are pursuing real dreams instead of going the typical fundie route of an MLM scam. The world doesn't need anyone else selling oil or Plexus. 

1 hour ago, EowynW said:

Are they Mennonite?

No, they attend a Baptist church.  This is a quote from their website- 

We are Christians who go to a Baptist church.  Everyone is different at our church, which is really neat. We wear dresses because we like them and we want to dress modestly. We wear headcoverings because of what we’ve studied out of 1 Corinthians 11 and believe that for our family, and for each of us girls individually, this is what God has called us to.  Each of us has asked of her own accord to wear it.

Question for those who follow the Seven Sisters closely:  I always got the impression that their parents were more conservative Christian than out-and-out Fundie. I believe I saw pics of their mom in spandex yoga-type exercise gear, and that she herself isn't dresses-only, leading me to believe that much of the sisters' way of life was their own choice. 

Am I correct or have I missed something?

She wore yoga pants once when she was participating in some sort of exercise event, but the rest of the time she dresses like the Seven Sisters. According to their writing their parents were into dressing that way and prayed that they would also dress like that.

While our parents of course prayed that we would choose the same way they did, they did not want to ‘make’ us wear it.

I always question when these fundie families say their children just choose exactly what the parents want. The Duggars and Bates have said the same thing. 

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I'm glad they have decided to go out and pursue their dreams.

And didn't end up trapped at home serving daddy and their brothers, like, oh, Elizabeth and Anna Sophia Botkin.  #SAHD   #sad

Archived