IGNORED

Dillards 42: Tweeting to Unpopularity

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Jill is the kind of person who'd annoy me IRL, but I think many of her flaws were developed as being the 'golden fundie child' was her way of coping with her life in the TTH, and she doesn't deserve to have to deal with even more shit because of her crappy husband. 

Yeah, I dislike what I see of Jill, but I give her a pass, and as I've said before, think life must be super-hard for her.  She was the golden child who did everything right, but she's had to come to terms with the fact having been brought up to think missionary work was the highest calling, she just wasn't suited to it, and praying wasn't enough.  They've had to come back from SCA with their tails between their legs (esp if Derick *was* fired, or even if his SOS contract wasn't renewed), and she's never been taught any kind of resilience skills to deal with it.  On top of that, her husband seems to see grifting as the only way to support his family, and it feels like they're being edged out of Counting On (natural, since there are too many characters to follow meaningfully as it is).

I hope she can build a life that she's happy with, teach herself resilience, and now she's back near the TTH, able to have some company while Derick immerses himself in his new project.  If they weren't Duggars, I'd be predicting divorce, but I hope her own difficulties have made her less judgemental.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Would he suddenly change the rules because he doesn't want his daughter staying with a horrible human being, or does she get told to keep sweet and pretend her husband wasn't out banging hookers and stealing candy from babies? 

I don't think JB cares if his son-in-law is a terrible human being. He allowed his daughters to be molested in his own house and majorly rug-swept for years. He still has his daughters' molester in and around the family with no regard to their mental/psychological/emotional well-being. 

22 minutes ago, blackberry said:

I don't think JB cares if his son-in-law is a terrible human being. He allowed his daughters to be molested in his own house and majorly rug-swept for years. He still has his daughters' molester in and around the family with no regard to their mental/psychological/emotional well-being. 

Sadly, I agree, but I keep hoping against reason that maybe the Josh scandal and all the backlash from that might have made him reconsider and he wouldn't force a daughter to stay with a wife-beater. 

Something the D'wreck saga does is remind me just how ugly biblical patriarchy can be, especially when I think about how TLC presents these people as otherwise boring and harmless.  Reading earlier posts, I was struck how betrayed Jill is by her misplaced trust in JB, and how it's her lot in life to suffer and stay sweet.  Sad.

40 minutes ago, blackberry said:

But that was to protect his golden firstborn son. It might be different with an outside doing the abuse. 

That said, I think it will depend on the daughter who is being abused. Some he'd do something about, some he wouldn't. 

7 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

But that was to protect his golden firstborn son. It might be different with an outside doing the abuse. 

That said, I think it will depend on the daughter who is being abused. Some he'd do something about, some he wouldn't. 

I'm not disgusted with your post, but with the likelihood that you're right.

13 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I don't know... I think it might depend more on the kind of abuse. I think it might also depend on whether it's a public scandal and how much it's damaging the family brand, sadly. Josh damaged the family brand, but like you said, he's the golden first born son. So if one of JB's sons-in-law was physically or emotionally abusing his daughter but it was happening quietly "behind the scenes" he might just encourage them to get help through the church and stay quiet about it. But if one of them did something maybe less abusive but more destructive to the Duggar brand...

I don't know. I honestly don't know. I have very little hope that JB would ever encourage one of his daughters to get a divorce, in any circumstance, even abuse. The best I could hope would be that he would encourage a separation, but even then I'm sure the guy would just be sent to Christian "rehab" and the woman would be lectured on how to be a better wife. I can only hope that these women have someone in their life who would support them if they wanted to leave, but their parents made sure every step of the way during their upbringing to keep them as submissive and dependent as possible. Leaving their husband might as well mean flying to Mars. 

As for DWreck, I'm sure Cross Church is against transgender individuals, but I wonder how they feel about trashing them on twitter. Is that too public or not. If it paints them in a bad light is that bad, or good for them. This I do not know. 

Actually, I kind of hope they were fired by the SOS Ministries. That would mean even their own people find them to be a failure, not just the heathen world. I mean, how damn difficult was it for Derdick (and to some extent Jill, too) to learn enough Spanish during all that time in SCA?!? If they truly were fired, that should teach them a lesson on humility. As we've seen, they really did not learn a damn thing. 

Poor, poor Izzy and Sam. I just wish their idiot parents wont totally ruin them. I don't care a fuck for Derdick, not much for Jilly Muffin, but a whole lot for those innocent little kids.

53 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

So if one of JB's sons-in-law was physically or emotionally abusing his daughter but it was happening quietly "behind the scenes" he might just encourage them to get help through the church and stay quiet about it. But if one of them did something maybe less abusive but more destructive to the Duggar brand...

I don't know. I honestly don't know. I have very little hope that JB would ever encourage one of his daughters to get a divorce, in any circumstance, even abuse. The best I could hope would be that he would encourage a separation, but even then I'm sure the guy would just be sent to Christian "rehab" and the woman would be lectured on how to be a better wife. 

I could very easily see Boob doing the thing where he does everything he can to prevent it going public but allows (ugh, how sad is it that a grown adult woman needs to be "allowed" by Dad to do escape an abuser) the daughter to privately and informally separate from her husband (ie: they live separate lives in separate bedrooms, and don't speak and scale back their public appearances/social media). And they are expected to stand next to each other at weddings and "look married" or get cut off from the gravy train.

What could be interesting is if any of the Son-in-Laws had enough private wealth (I'm not suggesting Jeremy is an abuser, but he comes to mind simply as the one who had his own money even before marrying into the gravy train) that their spouse would be able to get alimony in a divorce and had a way to not have to rely on Dad. I mean, they're still being supported by a man in theory, but it would be interesting to see how that plays out if a daughter realises her legal rights and had a way to not have to go back to being under Daddy's thumb. And if they are being paid as the cast members, there would be more family to split in a divorce. 

(And I'd hope she'd use that money to go to college or trade school or do SOMETHING that would allow her a career to make herself money going forward). 

Sadly,  I don't think the negative responses to his tweets and Instagram posts do anything but feed Derick's ego. (which seems very fragile) The more people call him out on his nonsense, or post negative responses, the more self-righteous he feels.  It lets him buy into the whole 'martyr for god'/persecuted christian paradigm; he is righteous and speaks the 'truth' because the godless heathens wouldn't pick on him otherwise. A sort of viscous, circular, self fulfilling prophecy. Honestly, the worst thing people could probably do to him is to ignore him.

If Boob isn't encouraging Anna to leave Josh even after everything, I doubt he'd care enough about his daughters to encourage them to leave a similar situation. 

44 minutes ago, KelseyAnn said:

If Boob isn't encouraging Anna to leave Josh even after everything, I doubt he'd care enough about his daughters to encourage them to leave a similar situation. 

Apples:Oranges.

Anna isn't HIS. Josh is. He looks out ONLY for his OWN children. His snark level at his children's spouses is amazing.

It seems quite a lot of speculation is now being accepted as fact.

- We do not know how long they were actually planning to be in CA and what the reason was for their long 'furlough' and then their return for just ten short weeks or so before baby was born. It could be anything. Health, finance, personal threats from gangs in CA, family issues we don't know about, marriage problems, organizational trouble in SOS. Assuming SOS let them go or they were perceived by their coworkers as doing a bad job is an assumption for which there is no evidence.

- That Jill wasn't coping is also an assumption. She has never even stated she disliked it. Security was difficult of course, but that could have been compensated by other things and on the whole she may have loved being there and thrived away from her family. It may have been Derick who was just too sick or who was disappointed because it was so different from his cool experience as a single missionary in Nepal. Now Jill not liking CA may seem more likely, but we have little evidence either way. 

It has always surprised me how little information they have given about their work, their plans and their reasons for their comings and goings. They leave themselves open to all kind of accusations, speculation, silly conspiracies and judgments. It would be so easy to give a few simple explanations. Unless the truth is worse than the speculation of course.

15 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Short answer: No

Long answer: No, and there has been speculation that the Dillards might be phased out of Counting On. Derick has been more and more open about his hateful views and even attacked another TLC star (Jazz Jennings) for being a transgender young woman (If my wording is wrong PLEASE say so). If that theory is correct, we most likely will never know the story behind Samuel's birth, since there will probably not be an episode dedicated to more than the bare minimum. 

Thank you! I caught a little of the things he said about Jazz. Serves them right to be phased out of the show after that ugliness. Sucks for Jill though, having done so much "right" and getting screwed over yet again [insert the usual mixed feelings about personal responsibility vs lifetime of brainwashing].

Out of pure selfish curiosity, it's too bad we probably won't ever find out about the birth. Jill's mindset with her births and the family's attitudes about shitty providers and questionable decisions is fascinating to me :embarrassed:

I'm so confused. I can't get that memory of Jill and her sister's standing awkwardly while elementary school kids danced out of my head. Apparently her new headship thinks it's okay to post dancing...or is she standing judgdmentally in the corner?

11 minutes ago, Exposedknees said:

I'm so confused. I can't get that memory of Jill and her sister's standing awkwardly while elementary school kids danced out of my head. Apparently her new headship thinks it's okay to post dancing...or is she standing judgdmentally in the corner?

My guess? They are brown people. It is just their culture. South Asians are like that. It's ok for them.

(That is how 'no dance fundies' I know would reason)

#INTERNATIONAL

I think the fact that TLC did not bother to send a crew to Danger America and instead used occasional crappy snippets of Dillard-filmed footage speaks volumes. 

However, we will see what happens now they are back and whether they are featured during season 15 of Counting On - Super-Bumper Bonus Baby Edition!1!!

(Obviously I hope this snoozefest gets cancelled ASAP and I also am assuming that TLC will make a million more tedious episodes that are inexplicably months out of date).

15 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

#INTERNATIONAL

I think the fact that TLC did not bother to send a crew to Danger America and instead used occasional crappy snippets of Dillard-filmed footage speaks volumes. 

However, we will see what happens now they are back and whether they are featured during season 15 of Counting On - Super-Bumper Bonus Baby Edition!1!!

(Obviously I hope this snoozefest gets cancelled ASAP and I also am assuming that TLC will make a million more tedious episodes that are inexplicably months out of date).

I thought they did have some crew members there? IIRC there was a man with a Spanish accent asking them a question off-screen in one episode like a producer would. I might just be crazy. But In any case, if there was a crew, it definitely wasn't the scale that it used to be on their CA trips 

1 hour ago, Exposedknees said:

I have no doubt that she and Derick were standing there just as awkwardly while this dancing was going on.

Jilly Muffin was the family tattletale and she couldn't wait to marry DerDick.  She was such a smarty.  She seems like a quiet little church mouse now.  

On 9/29/2017 at 10:09 AM, snickers34 said:

I agree mostly. But really, I don't know if Cross Church folk care at all or think that his twittering is bad for their brand. They believe ALL the same things - him tweeting hurtful things about young women (Jazz) is exactly in line with what they think - he's saving her and other 'confused' young people. What's that one quote - something to the effect of 'why make someone's descent to hell more comfortable'. We're in the midst of a moral war, and I really think they see him as standing up for 'truth'. (I fucking hate it when they fundamentally misuse that word).

I could see it going either way; when I was a teenager (late 90's, early 00's), I attended (against my will) a megachurch with a pastor who loved to court controversy and was constantly pulling stunts like inviting Jerry Falwell to visit as a guest speaker, publishing incendiary letters to the editor in the local paper, funding anti-abortion protests, etc. This was before social media was a thing, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he, and the rest of the pastoral staff, would have been showing their asses the way Dewreck is currently...

AND HOLY FUCKING SHIT I JUST GOOGLED THAT CHURCH TO SEE IF THEY WERE DOING THAT AND AN ARTICLE ABOUT THE YOUTH PASTOR GETTING ARRESTED FOR SOLICITING SEX FROM UNDERAGE GIRLS AS PART OF A TRAFFICKING STING CAME UP. wtf wtf wtf. It was not the same youth pastor as when I was there (who I tbh thought was a creepy asshole at the time) but still, whoa.

Anyway, their current social media presence is pretty sanitized in that hipster coffeehouse Christianity sort of way, but as the head pastor is the same, I doubt they have departed from the things they were teaching fifteen to twenty years ago, which consisted of all the usual fundie-lite bullshit about gay people, abortion, feminism, and watered-down prosperity gospel. The same is true of the local megachurches where I live now; they still hold pretty fucked up views, but they keep it pretty quiet and are not confrontational with anyone outside of the church because they don't want to alienate prospective converts. So I could see CC not being a fan of Dewreck's negative, blustering posturing even if they technically agree with him. 

8 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

They are obviously leaping for joy!

Some of the comments are hillarious. A lot of pretended shock over DANCING! 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived