IGNORED

Dillards 42: Tweeting to Unpopularity

Coconut Flan

I'm willing to give D'wreck the benefit of the doubt on his disaster relief efforts.  He's an able-bodied young man, perfectly capable of working on a clean-up crew or on a team distributing provisions.   I can see how his church may have organized a group of young people to provide material assistance in the Houston area.

What I am willing to criticize him for is leaving his wife with two small children while he goes off to do good deeds.  From what I read of his Cross Church ministry program, this  type of travel seems to be the plan now that Jill and the kids are back in AR and able to plug into J'slave support.  

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Drala said:

I'm willing to give D'wreck the benefit of the doubt on his disaster relief efforts.  He's an able-bodied young man, perfectly capable of working on a clean-up crew or on a team distributing provisions.   I can see how his church may have organized a group of young people to provide material assistance in the Houston area.

Yep, he is perfectly capable of doing so, whether Derick actually did this is up for interpretation in my opinion. Derick was also completely capable of doing some actual work in Central America and we never saw him doing anything there either. Preaching and banana bread doesn't do much. 

So yeah, he could have gone to Houston and helped, he also could have gone to Houston and preached at people. We don't know. That being said, the way he has acted lately, I don't lean toward him doing anything good. 

The other thing about helping with disasters is making sure you help through official channels, and not being a disaster tourist.  Having 20 groups descend on the same area can do more harm than good, and while going through the official channels may mean one is doing something unphotogenic like packing goods in a distribution centre, but it's being useful.  I remember those photos of white supremacists "on patrol" with their big guns in areas that didn't want them - how does that help?

Here in the UK, there are always tons of warnings, when we have floods etc, to keep away, because the emergency services really hate having to divert help to people who came to gape at the scale of the damage, and got stuck etc. 

Doesn't Derick have some mystery illness where he vomits, at least when he runs? I admit I've been gone awhile and may have missed something, but if he gets sick when exerted, cleaning up (which is pretty taxing work) might not be such a good job for him.

@samurai_sarah This is why I also prefer donation to going to places in need of help (whether it's due to a natural disaster or large, regional issues of poverty). I have no skill that would be useful, and I'd be a burden with my health issues. My cousin who is a infectious disease doc, on the other hand, would be very useful. There are concerns about a Zika outbreak due to flooding producing mosquito breeding grounds. 

Oh, and re skills - pretty much all FJers are fantastic at social media and online communication.  If you, like me, sometimes despair because we feel we have no useful skills, and no spare cash to donate, remember we are really good at signal boosting and sharing things.  It may feel like a small thing to say "Here's where we can donate/give blood" etc, but there's a good chance someone is reading that and it's a reminder to take action.  We may never know it, but it makes a difference. 

Nominating a charity for a work/PTA/coffee shop pledge drive, sticking up posters, telling our worlds about how we can help things - all these tiny things add up, and we can all be part of doing good.

20 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My cousin who is a infectious disease doc, on the other hand, would be very useful. There are concerns about a Zika outbreak due to flooding producing mosquito breeding grounds. 

Precisely, there were a lot of warnings around keeping pregnant folk and partners away even if you were disaster trained/ skills to help. Other really helpful things I haven't seen mentioned is donating blood, you may not be local, but if it's needed blood is flown or driven in sometimes causing secondary shortages. 

There's also a lot of scams going on around hurricane relief, so sharing information around those is very helpful as well. We're trying to sell or rent our home in Texas and there's a lot of people trying to take advantage in the situation with fake charities. "I'm a home flipper and will personally make sure this home goes to a Harvey victim and donate my proceeds to charity." Or "Want to help victims? Put your house in our database (so we can go see if there's anything to rob)." 

Our neighbor is in law enforcement and thankfully really on top of communicating everything he hears, taking time to call and warn me that it's going on and watching our home. It's definitely a research process to make sure who you're trying to help receives it!

Spoiler

image.png.dabf593987d02f778fb19ab6dbb36758.png

This is D'wreck's latest tweet.  He's a first-class, sh*t-stirring troll.  Posts like this set up snarky comments about his wife, his brother-in-law, his sister-in-law...I'm wondering if Derwick is juicing on passive-aggressive payback to the Duggars.

21 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

It would be nice if you could get it through your kids. FIL served in WWII, but we don't have it.

Agreed.  My son is active duty.  He will no doubt get USAA when he buys a car, but as his parent I don't qualify.  

Honestly to me it feels like Derick's tweet is super insensitive to Anna.  Sure Josh is a turd and he sucks for what he did but that ( to me anyway) is a family issue.  Not the molestations, that shit was beyond family and should have involved the police and CPS.

I'm not saying it well,  and I'm silly for even thinking Derick would be cognizant or sympathetic to Anna's crap situation.  It just seems like a low blow on so many levels.  If it's not directed at Josh then it seems hypocritical.  How about freaking dismissive at he same time of all the other horrible shit that happened.  For example, your brother in law molesting your wife.  Not gonna address that one?  Or do we have to wait till tomorrow for that?  Ugh I totally didn't convey what I wanted to but hopefully someone more eloquent will chime in.

OK, I'm gonna get bashed and that's alright. I believe Derick did go help, probably in Texas, why not, it was the closest disaster place. Unless you were here you have no idea what a tragic mess it was. Pictures did not show the actual destruction. People on this forum don't know Derick, well maybe .0001% might know him but I doubt it. We get a minute fraction of info from and about him so none of us really know. We helped 3 sets of friends that flooded and they all lost everything, think one minute, they lost everything. Not one time did anyone stop and say, hey let's take some pictures. We were within of an inch of water coming into our home, but we were lucky. No time for celebrating, there was family and friends that needed our help. Derick is still just a regular person that happens to be on TV sometimes. And leaving Jill to go help....he is damned if he goes and damned if he doesn't. Everyone is alway ragging on the siblings helping the older sisters but if he didn't help and stated he could not leave because of Jill he would have gotten slammed as well. So basically there is nothing that he can do that would be ok. No, I am not a humper or a fan but damn, there is no winning.

I *think* they diagnosed Derrick as being allergic to meat and soy and a bunch of other things and that was the reason for the heaving.

7 minutes ago, Mela99 said:

I *think* they diagnosed Derrick as being allergic to meat and soy and a bunch of other things and that was the reason for the heaving.

There’s actually a tick bite that can cause this.  I know because my son was bit by a lone star tick this summer and we had to watch him for a few weeks for any weird reactions.  He was thankfully fine, but if you’re remembering correctly, I wonder if that’s what happened to Derrick.

7 hours ago, sansan said:

OK, I'm gonna get bashed and that's alright. I believe Derick did go help, probably in Texas, why not, it was the closest disaster place. Unless you were here you have no idea what a tragic mess it was. Pictures did not show the actual destruction. People on this forum don't know Derick, well maybe .0001% might know him but I doubt it. We get a minute fraction of info from and about him so none of us really know. We helped 3 sets of friends that flooded and they all lost everything, think one minute, they lost everything. Not one time did anyone stop and say, hey let's take some pictures. We were within of an inch of water coming into our home, but we were lucky. No time for celebrating, there was family and friends that needed our help. Derick is still just a regular person that happens to be on TV sometimes. And leaving Jill to go help....he is damned if he goes and damned if he doesn't. Everyone is alway ragging on the siblings helping the older sisters but if he didn't help and stated he could not leave because of Jill he would have gotten slammed as well. So basically there is nothing that he can do that would be ok. No, I am not a humper or a fan but damn, there is no winning.

I think the major doubt being thrown at Derick is that he is noticeably the type of guy who would 

A. Announce, loudly and over and over again that he was going to help and 

B. “Help” by throwing bible tracts at people and telling them how they’re going to hell. 

It just seems very unlikely that no one on the Duggar publicity team would make a note of it if one of the Duggarlings actually did a spot of good deeds 

9 hours ago, sansan said:

You're right. We don't know what Derick actually did or didn't do. It's speculation, based on past behaviour.

Also, I'm glad to know that you and yours are okay, and could help others!

15 hours ago, Drala said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.png.dabf593987d02f778fb19ab6dbb36758.png

This is D'wreck's latest tweet.  He's a first-class, sh*t-stirring troll.  Posts like this set up snarky comments about his wife, his brother-in-law, his sister-in-law...I'm wondering if Derwick is juicing on passive-aggressive payback to the Duggars.

I'm guessing a college girl smiled at him and dWRECK thought "Oh that heathen wants me" and this is his way of being self righteous about it?

I always assume the worst with these people. :pb_lol: 

@sansanI’m glad you’re ok and you were able to help some friends out when they needed it most. I’m so sorry you’re area was hit so hard and I hope that your efforts to rebuild your lives goes as smoothly as possible. 

I agree we go a bit overboard on speculation at times. However, Derick has given us no reason to trust him. I’m very hesitant to give him the benefit of the doubt when his entire experience in CA appears to have been spent harassing Catholics because they don’t believe what he believes. 

That said, Sierra and her family traveled to Texas (I believe with their Church) in order to help and they appear to actually be helping - clearing debris and handing out bottled water and other very needed supplies. And at least two of the Bateses (Nathan and Lawson) have assisted with rescues in Houston and are now in Puerto Rico helping out as well. Not to mention that JD appears to have flown to Puerto Rico as well, though I’m not sure what may be happening with that.

I give Sierra, her family, Lawson, Nathan, and (most likely) JD (and any others who went with him) a lot of credit for showing up and doing something legitimately useful for people who need it. If it turns out that Derick was doing something equally useful then of course I’ll be happy to give him credit as well. 

I guess I am still just amazed that the Dullards are living off of grifted money as neither of them produces any income other than the TeeVee show. Maybe that is enough. And what DWreck is learning in that program I cannot see. Don't get it. 

19 hours ago, Drala said:
  Hide contents

I don't think we really fully appreciate the level of discord Josh's behavior likely created within the family.  They were messed up and dysfunctional to begin with, but Josh's behavior tarnished the brand forever.  Once Counting On is Counting Over, the Duggars will fall off the D list and never return. So I can imagine there is a ton of resentment towards him from many directions.  

That and he molested Derick's wife. If she's suffering residual effects from that, I can see Derick hating his guts. 

Not that you deal with it in a tweet, of course. He's a total ass.

His tweets are pretty baffling, masturbation, forbidden women, ice cream cones, adultery, retweets of inflammatory very far right political beliefs, what you see versus facts. Presumably, there's some underlying reason why he keeps tweeting, especially on topics he knows he'll get little to no positive response and have Josh thrown in his face. Maybe he likes seeing how much everyone hasn't forgotten all of what Josh did, I don't know. Maybe Cross Church is super fire and brimstone and he's learning how to tell people all the ways they're sinning. 

Have some positivity on me Derick. You've got a wife who will travel anywhere with you, two cute kids who adore you and a Mom who has your back even against internet skeptics. Put the keyboard down, go to a pumpkin patch, have some apple cider donuts there, take silly photos of your kids and enjoy it! 

@cascarones-Derick could have a really nice in NWA- a job, a home, beautiful wife and 2 healthy boys (as far as we know)- it's too bad he's so doom and gloom. He could be John Webster or Chad Paine, why does he need to be all "get off my god damn lawn"? 

He screams immaturity to me- He acts younger than Ben is-

I wonder whether Dwreck finally realized that a lot of people detest him, and his tweet was attempting to refocus negative attention back on Josh.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

@cascarones-Derick could have a really nice in NWA- a job, a home, beautiful wife and 2 healthy boys (as far as we know)- it's too bad he's so doom and gloom. He could be John Webster or Chad Paine, why does he need to be all "get off my god damn lawn"? 

He screams immaturity to me- He acts younger than Ben is-

Yeah, he could be a nice, kinda dorky accountant with two adorable boys, a beautiful wife, a nice house, plenty of fun places to go around Arkansas/Missouri/Oklahoma, with a few adventurous trips abroad to Guatemala or Nepal once in a while, and a nice, quiet life. I don't know what snapped in his head, but oy.

That is how he seemed to be in the beginning.  We all had hope for him and  that he would influence Jill in a positive way.  He had a chill modern day hippie-ish vibe.   He also had times when he seemed rather amused at the Duggar ways, as if he were in on the joke a bit. 

But either Derick was always a dumb ass, or something in him broke and this is new derick.  Given Cathy's extremist political views, perhaps Derick was a wolf in sheep's clothing all along.  Yet Cathy seems demonstrably warmer and loving as a grandmother, and even a mother in law.  And what little we know of Dan, indicates he seems like fairly normal, mainstream conservative. So,  Has Cathy been seduced by the tangential fame she has from Derick and Jill, and she is now singing the party line, or has Cathy also always been just another hateful type who found a way to use the generally Peaceful and loving ethics of Christianity in a perverse way to support hateful beliefs and behaviour.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived