IGNORED

Dillards 42: Tweeting to Unpopularity

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

I severely hope their preaching was at least along the lines of "this is hard but God can help you through it" not the "you think this is bad, just you wait for Hell" type.  But since Derick is more hellfire and brimstone than the comfort of Jesus, I'm not counting my chickens.

Or this is God's punishment for abortion/LGBT, etc.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SapphireSlytherin Sweet! I built a dream Mustang...46 grand later...LOL. I think I'll keep my '04. It's a 5 speed manual clutch so I have a jacked left leg! She's a freaking money pit because I've let her sit and sit. I'm looking at an Explorer for a daily. Hubs has a 99 Expedition w/almost 200K on it and it's "old reliable". 

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Or this is God's punishment for abortion/LGBT, etc.

Or punishment for being a Catholic....

Re groups helping in Texas.

One of the providers of the Soup Kitchen at our church are some local Buddists.  A group of 300 Buddist just got back Tuesday from Texas.  They were handing out blankets and sleeping bags; trying to be comforting; cooking; and clearing the roads so trucks could get through.

I suppose the weather may have been warmer in Texas; perhaps a working vacation for DWreck?

10 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

(And sorry for gushing so much. I’m just a really big fan. :pb_lol:)

I have it because of my dad, too, and gush about USAA all the time! What I really love is that it'll keep passing down through the family like that: my  adult kids are covered, we all bank there, etc., etc. Their kids will be covered, and on and on indefinitely.

21 minutes ago, coexist said:

I have it because of my dad, too, and gush about USAA all the time! What I really love is that it'll keep passing down through the family like that: my  adult kids are covered, we all bank there, etc., etc. Their kids will be covered, and on and on indefinitely.

It exists through infinity???

2 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I built a dream Mustang...46 grand later...LOL.

I have a set dollar-limit that I refuse to exceed when buying cars. Sticker on mine was a hair over $30k, with discounts and my USAA coupon, I drove away just under $25k (my upper limit). In fact, when they said $25,400, I told them goodbye... They chased me down... lol

That said - this one doesn't have leather interior (which I do prefer - love those heated seats!), nor does it have the built-in navigation/Sync3 - just the basic Sync. It's also a hardtop (when I've had a LONG string of convertibles). But I wasn't willing to shell out an additional $14k for the Sync3 and the ragtop, so... Anyway. I love it. It's fun as shit and goes like stink! This is also the first car I've had in ages where I wasn't looking for my "next car" three months into ownership. lol

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Yep. My adult daughter also has her own USAA membership - she's also a quarter-century member, even though she's barely over 25. She got her membership at birth. :)  I qualified at birth, but didn't join until I was in my late teens.

Have to say I am jealous of all of you with USAA--I'm from a long line of military folks--WW I and II my Dad served between Korea and Vietnam...wonder how we never got it

It would be nice if you could get it through your kids. FIL served in WWII, but we don't have it.

4 minutes ago, xlurker said:

Have to say I am jealous of all of you with USAA--I'm from a long line of military folks--WW I and II my Dad served between Korea and Vietnam...wonder how we never got it

Apply. Just see if you do qualify. Back in the day, it was only officers who qualified, but they've opened it to enlisted now, too. I don't know if there's a cutoff between officers and enlisted and service dates, though. It's worth a shot! 

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Back in the day, it was only officers who qualified,

That must be why :)  All enlisted, although my one grandfather was career navy, he never took the offered commission.  We requested his files a few years back while trying to do some geniology.  The whole thing--pages and pages--were redacted.  That man had seen some things.....

And I am going to look into it, thanks!

On the travel, another USAA tip, those reimbursed ATM fees definitely add up when you're traveling internationally. I've been many a group's cash person (reimbursed) to skip the international withdrawal fees. @SapphireSlytherin thanks for the car tips! We're in the process of selling our car (my beloved beetle) and home in Texas, so definitely looking into their options is on my list for tomorrow things to look into. 

34 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Yep. My adult daughter also has her own USAA membership - she's also a quarter-century member, even though she's barely over 25. She got her membership at birth. :)  I qualified at birth, but didn't join until I was in my late teens.

Wow! I thought just the person who qualified's kids could get it, I didn't know it continued! That's awesome.

21 minutes ago, xlurker said:

My grandpa was a WWII veteran, I don't know if he ever got it. My family has it since my dad was in the public health corp.

11 minutes ago, cascarones said:

On the travel, another USAA tip, those reimbursed ATM fees definitely add up when you're traveling internationally. 

Reimbursed fees?? Better tell my parents!

23 minutes ago, xlurker said:

Here’s a link to the website:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/why_choose_usaa_main?wa_ref=pub_global_usaaandu

It lists what you need to have in order to join up. Just answer the three basic questions and it’ll give you a general idea of what you might qualify for. If you think you qualify and you’re interested, then I’d suggest contacting them to see if you can join up. I want to say that many of the representatives are former military and they’re all extremely polite and nice. 

9 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I want to say that many of the representatives are former military and they’re all extremely polite and nice. 

Agreed. They're awesome. And also articulate in explaining things in layman's terms - especially helpful when you're stressed over having your house cleaned out while you were at work. We had one assigned agent who handled our entire claim (he's still working there), keeping us apprised of any changes/information regarding our homeowners' claim. 

I hope everyone here who thinks they might be eligible will look into joining. 

On 10/4/2017 at 1:38 PM, VelociRapture said:

Heres Cathy’s response people are discussing:

Sorry Cathy, but I seriously doubt he was in Puerto Rico or doing anything to actually help out. 

Cosign. Doesn't he have to be in "class" and doing his other assignments for his Cross Church certificate? He might have gone to Houston for a weekend, but other than that, I doubt he went anywhere else. Certainly not as one of the four (two of which we know are JD and Laura) who took one of the four-seaters to PR earlier this week. 

Cathy also wrote in past tense, which she is smart enough to know how to properly use. 

eta: I went to see if Cathy had blocked me, but no, she thinks she's the bee's knees, having just posted this: 

I have nothin to add about CSAA insuance. My dad would have qualified, but he passed away ten years ago. :(

41 minutes ago, cascarones said:

reimbursed ATM fees definitely add up when you're traveling internationally

True. But watch out for daily withdrawal limits, especially with exchange rates! Ask me how I know... lol

we have a USAA membership but we've never used it. Maybe we should check into it. 

@SapphireSlytherin - I'm a total car snob. I promised myself that if I ever bought another new car it was going to have ALL the bells and whistles. My Mustang is pretty basic as far as luxuries go but it's an '04. It was 24K brand new so...it had to have been close to the top of the line even then. It's ok though, it does what I want it to do..go from here to there quickly. The downside is the absolutely shitty gas mileage but...like they say in my Mustang club when a newbie starts bitching about the shitty gas mileage in their 5.0 GT..."if you wanted good gas mileage, should have bought a Prius"! When we first moved to PHX, I was staying w/hub's aunt and uncle. She kept bitching about how my big ass  SUV got such shitty gas mileage and I should really trae it in for something more fuel efficient...I told her it was paid for and I'd have a helluva time trying to run 500 bucks a month in gas out in it. 

4 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

If your parents had it, you can have it and pass it on, regardless of whether you would have qualified on your own. I have it since my dad was a Foreign Service Officer, and my parents got it during a time they were offering it to commissioned FSOs. If/when I have kids, they can have it, etc. The legacy part of it is one of the best bits.  I do my banking, insurance, car rentals, etc. through them.

USAA is such an amazing company. My dad died in May and my mom and I have been working with their Survivor Relations department ever since. And you know what? They're genuinely helpful, get things done, and actually seem like human beings on the phone. When you're dealing with a death in the family, dealing with friendly, helpful, supportive, people who actually fix things is awesome.

11 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

The downside is the absolutely shitty gas mileage but...like they say in my Mustang club when a newbie starts bitching about the shitty gas mileage in their 5.0 GT..."if you wanted good gas mileage, should have bought a Prius"! 

We have a couple of little British cars, one of which has a V8. That thing is sooo fast. It outran my SLK and my hot hatch. It’s a dead heat with the ‘Stang. Lol

@metheglyn I’m so sorry about the loss of your dad. 

People in crisis don't need a preacher, they need food, water, and other actual help. Going through a catastrophe, especially losing a house is not the time to be judged. The last thing someone needs is to think they did something that caused them to be in that situation.

Im eligible for USAA through my hubbie once my visa comes through were gonna use them to set up our joint account and savings account and probably my own account

3 hours ago, Imagine20 said:

People in crisis don't need a preacher, they need food, water, and other actual help. Going through a catastrophe, especially losing a house is not the time to be judged. The last thing someone needs is to think they did something that caused them to be in that situation.

Agreed! Not to mention that the people in crisis-afflicted zones usually already tend to have clerics of all flavours, locally. It'd be a different matter if, say, the Dalai Lama showed up, using his fame to draw attention to the plight of the people. But Dillard? And Dillard going preying on preaching to people who have already lost so much? That's a waste of time and resources.

Personally, whenever I think of going somewhere to help after a disaster, I take a moment to reflect on what I could realistically offer. Skills? I'm not medical personnel, a builder or some other sort of craftsman, an engineer, or in any way trained to aid in disaster relief. My skill is making donations. So, I do that and stay at home, instead of creating more work for the people qualified to help.

Add to that that there's sometimes a difference between what affected people need, and what others think they need. During the European refugee crisis, my home region in Germany pretty swiftly set up a website telling people what to donate, if they wanted to donate material goods. There were more than enough toys, but the greatest need was...women's underwear (never previously worn, please).

I admit that it had never even crossed my mind that that might be an issue. Winter clothes, I had thought of, but undies? Makes a lot of sense, if you think about it, but few people, including me, did. Hence, my region set up a very comprehensive website, telling people precisely what was needed and what they had enough of.

I used my excellent skill of making a monetary donation. Friends and family helped out in various ways, but the one thing no one, absolutely no one did was preach. The sentiment I heard most often was that the new arrivals had lost so much, and we just had to help.

And you know what, Derick Dillard? My natal German region is deepest, darkest Catholic country! I'm proud that my people just saw other people in need, and helped. No need to convert to anything, seeing a human in need was enough for all, but some, to give what they could. Whether it was time, money or material goods. Or all of it. THAT is how you help people who have lost everything!

Tl:dr: No one really needs Derick Dillard in a disaster zone.

15 minutes ago, samurai_sarah said:

Tl:dr: No one really needs Derick Dillard in a disaster zone.

Fuck that! No one needs Derick preaching to them ever. :pb_lol:

(But yeah, especially in a disaster zone. Those people have suffered enough.) 

And your region of Germany sounds like it’s filled with wonderful and caring people. Thank you to everyone there for doing what they can to help people who truly need a bit of kindness and understanding. :) 

Plate of food in one hand, Bible in the other, that's what missionaries have been all about since the beginning of time.

(With the added bonus of smallpox, residential schools, etc.)

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived