IGNORED

Dillards 42: Tweeting to Unpopularity

Coconut Flan

@VelociRapture - yes, once in a while is much different! I love it when my coworkers' SOs show up with babies.

In fact, I've instigated an office "Trick or Treat" for Halloween. People are actually going to bring in their littles (in costume) and each desk will have a bowl of candy to hand out (company is buying). It will be fun.

But it wouldn't be fun EVERY day. lol

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I haven't seen anyone I've worked with (EVER) have a spouse join them for lunch in the company lunch room. But maybe I'm in the minority?

I have seen it occasionally at my workplace but it's usually in conjunction with a company event involving family (flu shots, family day, Halloween trick or treat).  I met Mr. No for lunch a few times when we were first married but that's been years.  I never joined him at his current workplace, nor has he joined me at mine.

@VelociRaptureI'm not blaming her for being clingy though. She can't help that she was raised in an environment of constant noise and companionship. Must be jarring to then go straight to a silent empty house for most of your day. But if Derick did want/encourage the daily lunches, and if it impacted his work, my point stands that he's the architect of his own misfortune. 

Plus it is just weird to me. Idk, maybe they really were just trying to pack in as much one-on-one time before the birth of their honeymoon baby, but picking him up for lunch together every day? That's the kind of thing that sounds kinda romantic on paper, but in reality is just weird and codependent. I'd side eye that coworker. Like, don't you have anything better to do than drive back and forth to your husband's work three times a day? And like, that's what condoms are for, guys! To have some leisurely one-on-one time before you bring 12 children into your relationship!

I understand Jill having trouble adjusting to a much quieter house after all the noise and chaos she was used to.  I also remember her saying that she was also used to having JB around during the day so having Derick gone was another adjustment for her.   However I don't think she understood what having a job meant, that this is what her husband had to do to support her as well as their future child.  If her neediness was adversely impacting that job, then it was up to Derick to get a handle on that.    If he didn't and it was a result of his separation from Walmart, then it is indeed on him.

I will say that IME that a needy spouse does get the side eye in the workplace.  I worked at a place where one wife had to call their husband for every little thing, it was annoying and many of us thought "what's up with that?" Personally, I don't think that Jill left it at driving to Walmart three times a day.  I can see her calling / texting in addition.  She strikes me as that needy, IMHO.

5 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I’d bet your first guess. A quick google of the quote says it’s from Acts as Derick said. 

I just can't get over "Job will not save you, only Jesus." It doesn't matter if his children have a roof over their heads or food to eat, because Jesus? Other people have to work jobs and not serve Jesus 24/7 so they can give him money so he can be saved? Or is it that other people can be saved and work jobs, but he's too special?I'm pretty sure Jesus would frown upon that.

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@VelociRapture - yes, once in a while is much different! I love it when my coworkers' SOs show up with babies.

In fact, I've instigated an office "Trick or Treat" for Halloween. People are actually going to bring in their littles (in costume) and each desk will have a bowl of candy to hand out (company is buying). It will be fun.

But it wouldn't be fun EVERY day. lol

I'd love to meet my coworker's daughter. She's one and super adorable. My office is next door to a building that has a day care. I've heard that on Halloween the kids come by for trick or treating.

1 hour ago, Jinder Roles said:

I'm not sure if Jill required it but when they first married and he worked at Walmart, they did  lunch together daily. Jill stated her routine was to drive him to work, come back for lunch and then pick him up from work in the evenings. It seemed they only had one car but they way Jill talked about it made her seem like a stage-five clinger. 

In reality, she probably wasn't used to being alone and not having constant attention/interaction.

I also got the clinger vibe from her.  Can't imagine that Walmart liked competing with Jill and TLC for Derick's attention.  If filming was scheduled and there was a sudden need for overtime at Walmart, where would Derick be?  Were meetings being interrupted by calls and texts?

Why didn't Jill just spend time with "friends" or help out around the TTH if she didn't like being alone?

There was also a post (Insta?) where Jill said she was walking the track at the Walmart employee gym while waiting for Dwreck. I get not wanting to be alone, but go visit the TTH or volunteer in a church nursery or something. There's clingy but Jill is so far beyond that. 

Pickles has a new pic of Sam, Izzy and Dwreck posted from Jills Instagram. I'm just gonna leave my commentary on the subject at that.

The only SOs I know of who like to visit their partners at work, especially at meal times, are those whose partners work for Google...and there are many delicious reasons for them to want to visit at that time.  Eating together daily at work sounds so. incredibly. clingy.

43 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

If filming was scheduled and there was a sudden need for overtime at Walmart, where would Derick be?  Were meetings being interrupted by calls and texts?

This is where I think Derick could have really run into a problem.  I think he faced competing needs from Jill and her family for filming and at the same time, it's month end at Walmart.   And as I said before, I don't think Jill stopped at driving to his workplace 3x a day.  I think there were calls and texts.    Clingy people cannot turn it off and it's hugely distracting.  I had an ex boyfriend who was so needy, it affected my job, school, my whole life.  I had to ditch him before I failed school, lost my job and just overall get my life back.  That Jill could have impacted Derick's work really seriously, yeah it could have been that bad.

27 minutes ago, amandaaries said:

The only SOs I know of who like to visit their partners at work, especially at meal times, are those whose partners work for Google...

My husband runs a hotel, and I bring our kids up there once or twice a week. It's usually to bring him coffee from our favorite coffee shop or something he needs from home and we only stay ~10 minutes. Maybe it's different because he is the big boss as opposed to a cog in the wheel at Walmart.

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I just can't get over "Job will not save you, only Jesus."

Job (pronounced like robe) is a person from elsewhere in the Bible. He has his own book within the Bible called Job. I think Derick knew the commenter was calling him out on not having a job to support his family but responded with a Biblical dad joke. 

Do you think the filming would have really interfered with Derick's job, though? I mean, most people are capable of juggling multiple things at once, and they really don't film that much. Surely TLC could've scheduled filming for non-work hours, given that none of the other Duggars work regular jobs?

I think Derick always intended to fly off and be a missionary, and saw his Wal-Mart job as just a necessary, but temporary, evil. I think it was Derick's distaste for the 9-5 and his personal desire to do whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted, that tripped him up, if anything did. 

I don't know about the atmosphere at WM in 2015, but currently, in his work life, my hubs does a great deal of business with WM, in fact, he left for Bentonville today, and he says they are very, very tight on their employees- I would not be surprised if a newbie (fresh out of college and with no previous industry experience) who worked for the company for all of 14 months, and during that short time period got married, was dealing with a critically ill mother, fathered a child, took a medical leave for surgery which dovetailed with a paternity leave, and likely also missed time for filming and who was photographed at Big Sandy, at least once, had been fired from WM-

26 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Do you think the filming would have really interfered with Derick's job, though? I mean, most people are capable of juggling multiple things at once, and they really don't film that much. Surely TLC could've scheduled filming for non-work hours, given that none of the other Duggars work regular jobs?

I think it's possible depending on who was driving the scheduling and if there was no consideration for Derick's schedule.  The fact that the Duggars don't work regular jobs means they may have no concept of scheduling around non work hours.   And let's not forget Duggar time.  These are people who have no idea of respecting other people's schedule so I can see this being a problem for Derick.

21 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I don't know about the atmosphere at WM in 2015, but currently, in his work life, my hubs does a great deal of business with WM, in fact, he left for Bentonville today, and he says they are very, very tight on their employees-

I  have a former coworker that did consulting work for WM and moved temporarily to Bentonville for that work.  His impression was they ran a pretty tight ship.  This was a few years ago, around 2010-11

1 minute ago, nokidsmom said:

I think it's possible depending on who was driving the scheduling and if there was no consideration for Derick's schedule.  The fact that the Duggars don't work regular jobs means they may have no concept of scheduling around non work hours.   And let's not forget Duggar time.  These are people who have no idea of respecting other people's schedule so I can see this being a problem for Derick.

I can see Jill have no concept of Derick having to get to work on time, or why people would have a problem with him being late. And since she's the one driving him to work, that could create problems.

I remember back when Derick was working for Wal-Mart, there was a lot of talk about how filming might interfere with his work schedule, but also about how much he was traveling. He seemed to be constantly going out of town for this, that, or the other thing, which isn't at all unusual for the Duggars, but kind of a different story when you're an entry level accountant for a major corporation. 

I think it's totally fine if you hate/can't handle the 9-5 and want to do something else. Even if you have kids, as long as you're being responsible about it. But you have to do something. And begging for money from strangers on the internet doesn't count.

6 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I can see Jill have no concept of Derick having to get to work on time, or why people would have a problem with him being late. And since she's the one driving him to work, that could create problems.

I think that in multiple ways, we have seen not just Jill, but the family in general doesn't have a clue on how the real world operates.  From holding down jobs, to Duggar time, to inappropriate displays :output_eeMbjt:, to the utter cluelessness JB and J'chelle displayed in their MK interview over their son molesting their daughters ("it was all taken care of") among other things.   I think Derick, who did live in the real world, didn't realize what he was getting into when he married Jill.    

7 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I remember back when Derick was working for Wal-Mart, there was a lot of talk about how filming might interfere with his work schedule, but also about how much he was traveling. He seemed to be constantly going out of town for this, that, or the other thing, which isn't at all unusual for the Duggars, but kind of a different story when you're an entry level accountant for a major corporation. 

I didn't realize he was traveling to that degree.   That would complicate things even more for him.

9 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think it's totally fine if you hate/can't handle the 9-5 and want to do something else. Even if you have kids, as long as you're being responsible about it. But you have to do something. 

I have known folks who decided they hated the 9 to 5 early in their careers.  And that's OK, but they worked out something else that would still support themselves and their families, if they had them.   But to grift and expect others to support you?  And your wife?  And your kids?  That's irresponsible especially when you have a family which is why I personally can't stand Gil Bates or his ilk.

40 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

I think Derick, who did live in the real world, didn't realize what he was getting into when he married Jill.    

(SNIPPITY SNIP SNIP)

But to grift and expect others to support you?  And your wife?  And your kids?  That's irresponsible especially when you have a family which is why I personally can't stand Gil Bates or his ilk.

To the first - if true then that’s once again on Derick. He chose to court Jill, chose to propose after four months, marry her within seven, and have unprotected sex resulting in a positive pregnancy test within a month of marriage. Derick, who lived in the real world as you pointed out, had options and he willingly chose to abide by the stupid courtship rules and marry someone he may not have known as well as he thought. That’s all on him.

To the second - I can’t stand Gil or Kelly Bates. I will, however, gladly give credit to their married children though; each of them is working to support their family in some capacity and married someone who also is working to support their family. Zach is a Police Officer, Whit just became a Realtor this summer (good for her!), Brandon works (for IBLP unfortunately), Michael sells home sewn items online, Chad works for a manufacturing company, I believe Erin still teaches piano lessons, John works for the family AC business, and he and Alyssa work cleaning office buildings. 

The second gen Bateses are still IBLP turds, but at least they seem to work really hard to provide for themselves and their families.

I go to look at Jill's Instagram, and lo and behold, the first comment that pops up in the feed is our beloved fundie stalker Becky. I really hope that 2001 in her Instagram handle means she was born then. She's an odd duck, but I would rather think of her as 16 than say 36.

Also, seeing some older Walmart pics of Jill visiting Derick for lunch really reinforced how much Derick's face has changed. Man, has it CHANGED.

dwreck.jpg

34 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

To the first - if true then that’s once again on Derick. He chose to court Jill, chose to propose after four months, marry her within seven, and have unprotected sex resulting in a positive pregnancy test within a month of marriage. Derick, who lived in the real world as you pointed out, had options and he willingly chose to abide by the stupid courtship rules and marry someone he may not have known as well as he thought. That’s all on him.

Oh yes, it is absolutely on him.  He may not have had a clue at that time about the major dysfunction that existed in the Wholesome Christian Family, and I think it possible that he chose to overlook things that should have been red flags to an ordinary person and went ahead anyway.   Still, I get the feeling he was surprised at the situation he put himself in.  I don't know, did he delude himself or just talked himself out of not paying attention to any weirdness he encountered.  

Regarding the Bates kids, my disgust for Gil and Kelly doesn't extend to their children.   They work hard, I think they had to when they were under Gil and Kelly's roof, I never thought Lawson was the only one to help out.  The downside is they were supporting their lazy parents but the upside is that they have some skills to support themselves.     In that respect, they are turning out better than their parents.   Now if they could just chuck the IBLP beliefs but maybe that will come in time.  The married ones are only recently out of their parents' home, and could take years for them to shed the beliefs if they ever do.   Let's see how they all do when they are 40.  Might be interesting how their paths go.

I wonder how Jill managed to get to Walmart for the same lunchtime and end of the day, seeing as she's been raised on Duggar Time?  I would think Derick could get her to leave on time in the morning, but it must have been a pretty big shock to have to be at the same place at the same time 5 days a week (minus all his absences).

And now I'm imaging a theoretical letter to Ask A Manager from Derick's colleagues!

I seem to recall an old quote that JB used to say.... something about "no man can serve two masters'... and therefore every good Christian man should work for himself... In addition to the filming schedule being a detriment to Dreck's work schedule, I am sure there was pressure from JB and others to get him out of the workaday world and into the Koolaid Pool.

I couldn't imagine Jill having many friends to spend time with. She is the "annoying one". 

Also, Derrick is a complete turd so he probably had no respect for the people he was working for or with.

Lastly could you imagine that management discussion with Derrick?

"The wife visiting... it needs to stop!"

He was probably the laughing stock of WM with his wife there every day. I could see a lot of peoplr making jokes about her not trusting him or something. 

Lol at stalker becky in that IG screenshot. 

@Lurky- I remember Jill saying that one of the biggest differences about her home with Dereck vs the TTH was that the Dillard day started and ended much earlier than the day did in Duggarville. I took that to mean, they rolled out early, like most daytime workers are required to do, and therefore went to bed much early-

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived