IGNORED

Dillards 42: Tweeting to Unpopularity

Coconut Flan

15 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Poll: What kind of weird/annoying/creepy tweet Derrick will post next week? 

Mike Pence is a hero for walking out of that football game is my guess.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Haley said:

I kind of just wonder if Derick even realized it was a current pop song, given the lyrics are in Spanish.

Well, surely after all those years months of preaching grifting in Sintrul Murrica, he could easily understand the lyrics. Right?

17 hours ago, AlwaysExcited said:

Poll: What kind of weird/annoying/creepy tweet Derrick will post next week? 

Donald Trump Jr. 2024.

Well It looks like he did politics so next is something passively aggressively aimed at women needing to be submissive.   

IMG_5240.thumb.PNG.49faf2f11828367b28a6de1e266a331a.PNG

Oy, his response to someone telling him to get a job.

ETA: unless they're talking about the Book of Job? What do I know, I'm a heathen.

@TheMustardCardigan

I saw that video, and was like "WTF Derrick" !

Oh the hypocrisy...

That church definitely looks "contemporary" and not fundy. The kind where you wear jeans to services, they have a coffee bar, and have worship music with a beat. 

Girls wearing shirts and sleeveless tops, dancing...

It seems like someone sold their soul to the devil in order to get bankrolled. 

Regarding Derick, not going to defend his tweets and all that, but he's been through a lot in the last several years: death of father, mother's serious illness, marriage, adjustments to marriage including the in law family dog and pony show, birth of one child, surgery, quitting job, brother in law outed as having abused his wife when younger, Central America, now birth of second child, returning to US.  I have to wonder if this has been all too much for him.  I can't help but think that he was not prepared for the extraordinary amount of changes in his life in the last several years and the stress is getting to him. 

Perhaps I am wrong and he's always been like this and his true self is showing but with all he's been through in the last several years, I can't help if, as another poster suggested, something in him broke under the stress.  Because that's a lot of stress to deal with.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:28 AM, JenniferJuniper said:

I don't think we really fully appreciate the level of discord Josh's behavior likely created within the family.  They were messed up and dysfunctional to begin with, but Josh's behavior tarnished the brand forever.  Once Counting On is Counting Over, the Duggars will fall off the D list and never return. So I can imagine there is a ton of resentment towards him from many directions.  

Getting to Josh for a moment, I agree that Josh's behavior, not once but twice, publicly embarrassed the family, damaged their main income stream (the show and all it's perks) and I don't believe for a minute that all is forgiven.  Quite the contrary, I can see there has to be resentment just bubbling under the surface constantly.  The parents did not respond appropriately to the molestations when it was first discovered, in fact JB and J'chelle royally screwed up and they continued to screw it up.  Now, years later, there's years of resentment that have built up and now there's in laws and grandchildren affected.  The mess just keeps on building. 

2 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Regarding Derick, not going to defend his tweets and all that, but he's been through a lot in the last several years: death of father, mother's serious illness, marriage, adjustments to marriage including the in law family dog and pony show, birth of one child, surgery, quitting job, brother in law outed as having abused his wife when younger, Central America, now birth of second child, returning to US.  I have to wonder if this has been all too much for him.  I can't help but think that he was not prepared for the extraordinary amount of changes in his life in the last several years and the stress is getting to him. 

Perhaps I am wrong and he's always been like this and his true self is showing but with all he's been through in the last several years, I can't help if, as another poster suggested, something in him broke under the stress.  Because that's a lot of stress to deal with.

Getting to Josh for a moment, I agree that Josh's behavior, not once but twice, publicly embarrassed the family, damaged their main income stream (the show and all it's perks) and I don't believe for a minute that all is forgiven.  Quite the contrary, I can see there has to be resentment just bubbling under the surface constantly.  The parents did not respond appropriately to the molestations when it was first discovered, in fact JB and J'chelle royally screwed up and they continued to screw it up.  Now, years later, there's years of resentment that have built up and now there's in laws and grandchildren affected.  The mess just keeps on building. 

About the bolded - I agree that his circumstances would be a lot for anyone to handle, but we also have to remember that a lot of these things didn’t happen to him - he chose them. He chose to quit his job to be a full time missionary. Even keeping his job and taking shorter, or domestic, mission trips would have been less stressful. They chose to not use birth control during that first month of marriage. They chose to have another child in a relatively short time span even though the first birth was likely a stressful event.

He had some very unfortunate things to deal with, no doubt. But in many ways he is also a victim of his own decisions.

And he is still continuing to make these decisions. He is back home and is still choosing some kind of mission/preacher work rather than a steady career. There is no indication that they will space out their children. He is choosing to tweet controversial things for the attention.

He could make different choices but he just isn’t.

9 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

ETA: unless they're talking about the Book of Job? What do I know, I'm a heathen.

I’d bet your first guess. A quick google of the quote says it’s from Acts as Derick said. 

6 hours ago, Londish said:

About the bolded - I agree that his circumstances would be a lot for anyone to handle, but we also have to remember that a lot of these things didn’t happen to him - he chose them. He chose to quit his job to be a full time missionary. Even keeping his job and taking shorter, or domestic, mission trips would have been less stressful. They chose to not use birth control during that first month of marriage. They chose to have another child in a relatively short time span even though the first birth was likely a stressful event.

Yes, he made choices, some of which were (and are) pretty boneheaded IMHO, in addition to the events that he had no control over.   Personally I am not 100% convinced that he actually quit his Walmart job but the demands on his time from a needy wife, the in-law family dog and pony show, baby and surgery in short order may have impacted his job.  No way to know for certain, but I suspect that even there, leaving that job may have had to do with his choices while working there (in short, he was let go) rather than outright quitting for missionary work.

I pick on the Walmart decision especially because it seemed to be a good job for someone recently out of college, when there were a lot of college grads scrambling for decent work (or any work at all) at that time.  It would have been a good career builder.  I think he tossed out a decent opportunity for a stable career, would have been independent of the in-law family income stream when it failed (and it failed spectacularly), he could have opted for missionary work locally outside of his work hours, and he would be making an honest living rather than, frankly, debasing himself grifting for money.

That said, stress is stress even if self inflicted, and I can't help but think he's either losing it or he can't keep a good face on his true beliefs anymore.   And I don't think we should underestimate the effects of being in a toxic family situation (referring to his in laws here) and unfortunately he married the daughter that really chugged the family brand of koolaid.

10 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

This is exactly what I was talking about! You can see how Derek’s brain works in his tweeting. He probably was super proud of this biblical joke and chuckled as he responded. I don’t follow Job, I follow Jesus. It’s a fundie/dad joke retort that completely missed the mark and makes him appear even more clueless than he is. He fails at conveying even a simple message and I can’t imagine him being a successful minister. Even ministers who believe terrible things (Jeremy) need strong personal/communication skills. Even if wanted to become a GOP/Jesus mouthpiece he lacks the skills to gain followers and support. 

I wonder if it’s an effect of being the “smartest” (most educated) and de facto leader with all of the correct opinions in his household. Jill’s lack of critical thinking skills probably fuels his ego and inflates his pride far beyond reality.

Of course, all a silly job can do is feed yourself, your wife, your children, keep a roof over your head and not be dependent on the donations of others just because you want to go play missionary. 

2 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

No way to know for certain, but I suspect that even there, leaving that job may have had to do with his choices while working there (in short, he was let go) rather than outright quitting for missionary work.

I've often thought he was let go too, or at least encouraged to move on. Still a result of his choices. He married an emotionally stunted woman-child who needed to have lunch with him every day. He married into a mildly controversial family with D-list reality fame. We don't know anything about his work performance, but the two Joshly scandals in quick succession would absolutely be enough for Walmart to at least gently suggest that Derick seek employment elsewhere.

Am I remembering this in the right order? He left Walmart after both scandals broke, no? Or was it after the molestation but before Joshly Madison? Either way, not the sort of thing that looks good for Walmart to have their name attached to.

I think he took a lot of time off from Wal-Mart to film with the Duggars. That would not endear him to his fellow workers or the administration. I don't think you can fire someone because their BIL is a turd.

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I don't think you can fire someone because their BIL is a turd.

In Arkansas, you can be fired for any (or no) reason.

Just curious - I’ve seen people claim Jill required him to have lunch with her everyday when he was at Walmart. Questions:

1. Where are you all seeing this? I know they mentioned a few times that they’d have lunch together, but I haven’t seen anything about it being every single day.

2. Why would he need to listen to her if they’re members of a patriarchal religious movement? If they’re really true believers and he really didn’t want to then wouldn’t he be able to make that decision regardless of what she may want? And wouldn’t she have to slap on a smile and acccept it regardless of what she really wanted?

3. Which brings me to... If they are true believers and they had lunch together every day then wouldn’t that indicate he wanted to for whatever reason? And, if so, maybe blaming Jill for being so clingy at that point is a bit ridiculous considering he’s a grown ass man who can make his own choices?

(Not looking to start an argument - just genuinely curious.)

I remember seeing, I think on 19 KAC, that Jill used to bring his lunch. They would eat together. That being said, as much as I dislike Jill, I don't blame her for being lonely in that big house. If she was clingy, I imagine he encouraged it because it stroked his ego too. 

1 hour ago, Hashtag Blessed said:

Am I remembering this in the right order? He left Walmart after both scandals broke, no? Or was it after the molestation but before Joshly Madison? Either way, not the sort of thing that looks good for Walmart to have their name attached to.

He left Walmart around the time molestation scandal broke definitely before Ashley Madison.  IIRC there was a question of his timing.  He may have left the company in the weeks before Josh 1.0 came out.  His departure doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with Joshley.  

Given that Derick was a tax accountant for a major retail corporation, there would have been month end, quarter end, year end closings.  Knowing several people who work in a similar capacity, it can be demanding and it's required that they work weekends, holidays etc. to meet these deadlines.  Between a needy wife who didn't to seem to understand that he needed to work, plus being available for filming with his in law family, I can't help but think that it impacted his performance / attendance and he either was let go / or encouraged to leave.  Plus he had an ill mother, a new baby and surgery, so he may have used up all allowed vacation time and then some.  He had no margin in terms of taking time off for everything.  

@VelociRapture I'm not sure if Jill required it but when they first married and he worked at Walmart, they did  lunch together daily. Jill stated her routine was to drive him to work, come back for lunch and then pick him up from work in the evenings. It seemed they only had one car but they way Jill talked about it made her seem like a stage-five clinger. 

In reality, she probably wasn't used to being alone and not having constant attention/interaction.

@VelociRapture

I just did a quick search to see if I could find where she said was "every day" (I can't remember the way it was worded) and found this:

http://www.eonline.com/news/565041/jill-duggar-enjoys-workplace-lunch-date-with-hubby-derick-dillard-see-the-cute-pic

I haven't seen anyone I've worked with (EVER) have a spouse join them for lunch in the company lunch room. But maybe I'm in the minority?

Still looking for further stories.

I had breakfast with Mr. Wolf at his work cafeteria once. It wasn't a big deal. Of course, that was once in three years.

Thanks everyone! I never really watched the show, so that’s likely why I missed the reference.

@SapphireSlytherinI’ve had lunch in my husband's office once. It was right before July 4th, only a handful of people were in, and he really wanted to see Velocibaby. So we picked him up, bought lunch, and ate in the lunchroom.

I also came by last month to get a flu shot - his office had a Pharmacist come in to give any employees or spouses who wanted one a flu shot. It was a win-win situation - I got my shot and everyone there got to meet the baby. 

(Obviously once or twice is much different than all the time. Lol!)

@Carm_88 Yeah, I keep thinking how weird it had to be for her to go from the constant noise and all those people around her to just... silence all day. I stopped working about a year before our daughter was born and a month before we got our dog. It was a really weird change not to constantly hear or see anyone else most of the day and that’s coming from someone who hated her job and who isn’t a big fan of being around other people constantly. It had to have been an even weirder adjustment for Jill, who seemed like she didn’t mind that type of chaos. 

@Jinder RolesI’m pretty sure you’re right about the car situation. I remember seeing something about them only having one car at the time. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived