IGNORED

MI couple let baby die from jaundice because God doesn't make mistakes

VaSportsMom

That poor baby. And those stupid parents. If you believe God doesn't make mistakes, and therefore we're letting our baby die because that's what God wants, then you are sick and your God is not someone I want to worship. It amazes me that people claim the Bible as justification for their appalling actions, and yet don't seem to have read or understood it.

2 minutes ago, BobTheWalrus said:

That poor baby. And those stupid parents. If you believe God doesn't make mistakes, and therefore we're letting our baby die because that's what God wants, then you are sick and your God is not someone I want to worship. It amazes me that people claim the Bible as justification for their appalling actions, and yet don't seem to have read or understood it.

I don’t understand how “god doesn’t make mistakes” leads to “god doesn’t like doctors” unless the parents are germ theory denialist or something like that. Based on the article, it sounds like they were expecting god to just heal and/or resurrect Abigail, and that obviously didn’t happen.

I know. I mean, I believe God can and does heal, but I don't get the jump of logic that essentially says that God made this baby sick. If he doesn't make mistakes then this baby was meant to get sick? What about, "thankfully God doesn't make mistakes and we live near a great hospital so we were able to get help quickly." In my view, if healing is a gift from God then I'm going to take it however it comes, supernaturally or from doctors and nurses and medicines.

If you believe that God created all things, shouldn’t that include medicine?

41 minutes ago, smittykins said:

If you believe that God created all things, shouldn’t that include medicine?

I always think of the parable of the talents when it comes to the non-medicine types.  If one believes that God gave us the brains we have, and the abilities to innovate and learn, surely not using doctors is denying God's plans?

I come from a family & church that is incredibly conservative in many ways, and yet "God doesn't make mistakes" has always meant to do everything you can and that if it doesn't work it wasn't meant to be. As in: go to the doctor and do what they say, if you die after that then it really was your time. I don't know how not taking care of your child fit into any reasonable interpretation of religion..

Also, I know plenty of people who are against extreme medical intervention because of religion. But that usually refers to being kept on machines for breathing or implanting any artificial devices (such as a pacemaker).

Archived