IGNORED

Hope Carpenter tells people only Jesus can fix racism

47of74

A fundie once again steps in it.

Ron Carpenter Jr., the founder of Redemption church, took to Facebook on Tuesday to apologize for a social media post made by his wife, Hope.

In a statement on her Facebook page, Hope Carpenter spoke out about NFL players kneeling during the national anthem in protest. She said, "This will not fix racism! Duh!!! Only Jesus! If you wanna kneel... then u [sic] better be praying to the one and only who can heal our land."

She also wrote that people should "stop thinking about it from your history or race" and "our country is not yo [sic] blame!"

Ron Carpenter said the response they received was overwhelming and they were both sorry for the post. He said he was speaking on behalf of both of them because Hope was emotional in the aftermath of some of the comments and messages they received.

Some of our neighbors go to Redemption.  I hope they don't feel what Mrs Carpenter expressed.  Btw, a certain candidate for the Democratic presidential nomination spoke at Redemption in 2008: Barack Obama.  I would imagine that the church has more black members than is typical in Southern Protestant churches.

OT: Why do so many recent churches call themselves anything other than "Church"?  It's Worship Center or Outreach Center (in the case of Redemption.)

7 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Why do so many recent churches call themselves anything other than "Church"?  It's Worship Center or Outreach Center (in the case of Redemption.)

Because technically the church isn't a building. It's the body of believers. 

A friend of mine attends Redemption, and is very involved. She's a sweet, kind lady, who exemplifies what Christians should be. She's black, so I wonder how she feels about Hope's remarks. We're not close enough friends for me to ask, though.
Hope & Ron's marriage has a dark history, FWITW. She disappeared for awhile a few years ago, supposedly after having multiple affairs. She was evidently sent to prayhab & emerged fully re-indoctrinated.
I despise the Carpenters.

On September 28, 2017 at 11:35 AM, 47of74 said:

How did I miss this?  And I am NOT surprised that she spouted this crap.  I don't like the Carpenters, I don't like Redemption and the neighbors I have are a it too into it.  (Their daughter, who had been a friend of my daughters told the CelticChild that she was going to hell.  Because she crossed herself.  She and her Da  are ELCA Lutheran)  This is another church in the area that just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  

One thing I do know about my neighbors, they voted for Trump, they are afraid of me (I might turn them into a toad) and they LOVE the kool-aid.  

Question for those who live in the area:  Was it Redemption that had the billboard over near BJU?  Near the Red Lobster?  It's been a few years now.  

When fundegelicals state that "only Jesus can solve racism," what they're basically saying is that nothing should be done. They would never say that abortion should "just be left to Jesus," so why is racism different? The there's the fact that the US is the most religious country in the developed world and the South is the most religious region in said country. If solving racism was simply a matter of accepting Jesus as one's personal Lord and savior, the the US and especially the South should be racial utopias. More than Jesus is needed to improve race relations, whether here or anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Cleopatra7 said:

If solving racism was simply a matter of accepting Jesus as one's personal Lord and savior, the the US and especially the South should be racial utopias.

I always read the Fundagelical "leave it to God/Jesus to solve racism" as a way of saying "If God really cared about it, He would have stopped it, so you shut up!", personally.  But I'm super-cynical. 

And yeah, when it's an issue they care about, God is laying it on them to protest and face persecution, and be like Jesus on the cross etc.  But when they disagree?  Pray more, and if God agrees, He might do something.

Ron Carpenter said the response they received was overwhelming and they were both sorry for the post. He said he was speaking on behalf of both of them because Hope was emotional in the aftermath of some of the comments and messages they received.

Perhaps pausing and considering how folks may take what you are about to blast on social media before hitting that post button would prevent said distress.  

Knowing nothing about this couple, I like how Ron framed his response as "teach me, I'm ignorant."  If only...  On another note, it seems Hope is fluent in Weenese.

I see this happened in September.  Does anyone know if Hope has resurfaced on social media yet? 

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just post here that Ron & Hope Carpenter are leaving Greenville, SC, and  Redemption, and heading to California. Ron is taking over something called Jubilee Christian Center, replacing its retiring leader, Dick bernal. They're turning over the mega-ministry to John Gray, who is an associate pastor at Joel Osteen's church. "Campuses" in Asheville, NC  & Florence, SC will be closed (sorry, faithful congregation), and the one in Charlotte, NC, will  become independent & no longer affiliated with Redemption. Redemption will get a new name, to be decided by Gray.

Lots of people feel blindsided by this and are justifiably pissed off. Most of his leg humpers are still supporting and defending him. One of my coworkers goes there, & is devoted to Apostle Ron. She volunteers probably 20 hours a week there. She's devastated, & was crying all day yesterday. She's a sweet girl, and seems to genuinely live her faith, and it makes me angry that she's caught up in that mess. As for my feelings on the matter, good riddance! I hope the members become disillusioned & Redemption folds. 
BTW, Several people post the screenshot of Hope's "Jesus cures racism" rant on EVERY post on the Redemption FB page, lol.

Archived