IGNORED

Lori Alexander 30: Bad Speller, Worse Teacher, the Worst Mentor

laPapessaGiovanna

Just now, Koala said:

@usmcmom- Yep.  That's where we are.  All decisions are filtered through- cars (coming really soon), college, and retirement.  We are prepared to pay for weddings as well.  

It doesn't leave me feeling like pouring money into every gift shop in Door County, or investing $100 in choc. chip cookies.

Of course, we're also planning to fully fund ourselves in my husband's retirement.

We continued driving a mini van until just last year. We had been empty nesters for four years, but it still ran well. It was twelve years old with 200,000 miles on it when my husband finally decided he deserved a four-door sedan. I was very attached to that van too. It was a good car pooling vehicle and held so many wonderful memories of our kids. 

When Lori mentions that Cassie left BIOLA because of the expense, I wonder what Lori was willing to sacrifice to keep her daughter there. I do not have a job but part of my daughter's college expenses came out of my household budget. I liked the feeling of contributing. I liked the feeling of being able to decide "Eh...I'll send her a bit extra for  that Christmas party dress," or whatever. Plus, when she graduated, it was fun to get that money back! It was like getting a raise after four years. Was Lori willing to buy drugstore makeup? Buy some clothes at Walmart? Anything?  Was she willing to scale back on anything to keep her daughter at that school?  I am guessing the sacrifice was all on Ken's part and their kids' education was not even a blip oh Lori's radar.  

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also want to say this:  My husband and I are educated professionals without children.  We, in theory, could afford the same lifestyle as Ken and Lori.  But, and this is a big but, we both grew up in poverty, so we remember where we come from.  I work not because I have to, but because I believe the work I do helps make the world a better place.  We know all too well that poverty breeds poverty.  We were fortunate; and we had help from people.

We budget every year.  I will always shop wholesale and discount and thrift stores.  Not because I cannot afford differently, but because I take stewardship of all our gifts seriously.  We live modestly because we believe that God has given gifts into our care to be used not only for ourselves, but for others.  So long as there are hungry people, and we have more than enough food, we will help food banks and budget our time and money to do so.  We were once hungry and someone helped feed us.  Now it's our turn.  

Because we have more than enough, and remember when we did not, we have a budget and a plan to give.  I pray we never forget.  I pray for compassion to replace privilege within my own heart.  And I am incredibly thankful that I go to sleep at night not worried about paying our bills or shopping for groceries.  

I know we are weird and even a little extreme.  I don't expect other people to make the choices we do - this is what is right for us.  What I do not understand is the entire lack of generosity.  Who brags about not even tithing while ostentatiously posting updates about an expensive home renovation?  How does someone read through the Bible and ONLY see a responsibility to one's own family unit?  And then callously even restrict that family giving to males?  

The problem with Lori is that she is once again employing a false dichotomy:  going from thinking that being logical/unemotional is sinful to concluding the opposite - that all emotion is sin.  Just because logic does not necessarily equal sin does not mean that emotion necessarily does equal sin.  There is nothing inherently sinful about logic.  There is nothing inherently sinful about emotion.  Both can be true at the same time. 

@AuntKrazy you're my hero. I don't think you're weird or extreme. What you do is an example of genuine love and caring. So many people like Lori claim to love thier fellow man, you actually do. The world needs more Aunt Krazys. Thank you.

After 20 years I still get butterflies when I look at my hub. We were at a store the other day and he brushed his hand against my butt...and I got a tingle all over when he did it. I still wonder what he sees in short, chubby, dumpy me. I think Lori has some sort of real mental illness...she seems incapable of any emotion whatsoever. I mean, there ARE times when I did choose to keep loving him, to stay faithful to my vows...we've had our hard times. But, I can't imagine life without him. 

We don't have much right now...but...even though we don't...hubs is all about getting my car on the road, damn the expense (working on 1500.00) He's working like a crazy man, hours and hours that is almost killing him to have the $$ to do this. Every time I refer to myself as "useless" because I don't have a job...he pretty much tells me to STFU because I'm NOT useless to him. Well...I love my goofball...he's awesome!

Are the "Army of Godly Moderators" messing with Lori?  The FB link to today's post had a couple of comments.  Both were positive, and Lori responded to one of them.  They've been deleted.

Hell, maybe it's Lori herself.  Maybe she just likes deleting comments so much, that she even deletes the positive ones.  She's weird, that one...

In other news, if you want to see a picture of a Big Nutritious Salad, she has one up on Instagram now. I know anytime I make a salad, I don't miss the chance to post a picture.  Who wouldn't want to see a salad?

Reader:

How much are the avos? They are $3.00 a piece here in Kansas. Terrible!

Sorry, you misunderstood.  Money is no object for Queen Lori!  

Her readers may live on pennies, but only the best for The Moderate Mentor.

I keep telling Seafilly2(16) I'm investing her college fund in avocados.  She laughs because I don't like them that much.

Now I have the urge to cook Mexican for Thanksgiving this week-end.

it's cooled off here in the desert...I might actually start cooking...well...if I can stand up long enough...damn back! I actually pulled out my fuzzy pajama pants the other night!

I don't buy avocados...I just go buy guac at Roberto's. 

10 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

I’m not aware of any blogs that talk about Lori- but maybe there are? Or maybe this person considers this a blog?? 

B1E0C72C-79A9-48E1-A97D-27E7DDF2FE40.jpeg

Oh  my! Has Lori been speaking to these unhappy evil women in person?? Because that is what slander is - SPOKEN defamation. 

*sigh* None of us has time to go over this again for these nitwits. What they are talking about is LIBEL. 

And what these "bloggers" (I suspect she means FJ) print is not libel if it is true. We have countless quotes from Ken and Lori - their own evil words - to back up our positions. 

So, it's not slander; it's libel. 

AND IT IS NOT LIBEL. 

"...they must not be happy at all."

Wait. Doesn't Lori usually say we're not supposed to be happy? That we're not put here on this earth to be happy? I'm so confused.

"How could they be when all they do is sit around and slander others?"

Since Lori does this all day long every day, she must be more than happy. She must be ecstatic.

'How could they be (happy) when all they do is sit around and slander others?' Dunno, Lori. How do you do it?  Oh, wait...you don't. 

Ha! Who is the instagramer who commented on Lori's cookie ingredients, saying they would cost her $100? And Lori even responded with a they-do-not-I shop-at-Costco! I think Lori thinks her Costco membership gives her a frugal merit badge. 

Is it me, or do those cookies look weird, unappetizing and extremely dry? It might be better if she made real tollhouse cookies with regular sugar, butter, etc and just ate one. 

And one of the ingredients is shortening? Honey, shortening is unhealthy no matter how much you overpaid for it, or how many buzzwords ("organic"! "artisan"!) are on it. Actually, her shortening says it's an "organic superfood". I actually took the time to read the label on the shortening and it is almost completely covered with buzzwords, promises not to harm the rainforest, claims of charity donations, and explanations of what it DOESN'T have inside it.

Eh, slandering Lori in my mind when I read her crap actually makes me happy. I also very much enjoy when the rest of you slander her on these pages.  So, she doesn’t need to worry about my happiness at all. 

Neither does Mr. Naugler when we liable him.  It ALL makes me happy!

58 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Ha! Who is the instagramer who commented on Lori's cookie ingredients, saying they would cost her $100? And Lori even responded with a they-do-not-I shop-at-Costco! I think Lori thinks her Costco membership gives her a frugal merit badge. 

Is it me, or do those cookies look weird, unappetizing and extremely dry? It might be better if she made real tollhouse cookies with regular sugar, butter, etc and just ate one. 

And one of the ingredients is shortening? Honey, shortening is unhealthy no matter how much you overpaid for it, or how many buzzwords ("organic"! "artisan"!) are on it. Actually, her shortening says it's an "organic superfood". I actually took the time to read the label on the shortening and it is almost completely covered with buzzwords, promises not to harm the rainforest, claims of charity donations, and explanations of what it DOESN'T have inside it.

It is harder to get the right texture with gluten free, sadly. :( I have chocolate cake and cheesecake and chocolate chip pumpkin bars down but I struggle with chocolate chip cookies still. But, eating a real one isn't really an option so I constantly tweak them. 

My MIL puts shortening in her cookies. MR & I got into an argument after we got married because he couldn't imagine putting real butter in them! He's a convert now tho lol 

@EowynW have you ever used applesauce instead of shortening? I learned that trick years and years ago. I made that substitution in the favored oatmeal-raisin cookies when my kids were little and they won't eat them any other way even now. 

14 minutes ago, feministxtian said:

@EowynW have you ever used applesauce instead of shortening? I learned that trick years and years ago. I made that substitution in the favored oatmeal-raisin cookies when my kids were little and they won't eat them any other way even now. 

I haven't. But that sounds really good! 

I used applesauce in cakes, sweet breads, etc simply because it is healthier (I think). Anyway, I've done it for so long, I can't remember why I started. It works well. 

1 hour ago, feministxtian said:

I went to college for nutrition.  We had this really interesting class Food Science.  We would bake with butter/ shortening substitutes like apple sauce and olestra ( remember that failed one?!).  Anyway, we judged on texture, taste, fat and calories.  The best was substituting half the oil/butter/crisco with apple sauce.  Unanimously voted the best without sacrafice on common baked goods.  I'll never deviate toll house chocolate chips though!  Cake, muffins and brownies.....totally works!  Try a batch with half and half and full applesauce and see how you like it @EowynW, fun experimenting!

3 hours ago, Hisey said:

Ha! Who is the instagramer who commented on Lori's cookie ingredients, saying they would cost her $100? And Lori even responded with a they-do-not-I shop-at-Costco! 

*raises hand*

Long time lurker, first time poster. The financial ignorance has gotten the best of me. 

1 hour ago, Hisey said:

I used applesauce in cakes, sweet breads, etc simply because it is healthier (I think). Anyway, I've done it for so long, I can't remember why I started. It works well. 

I've used applesauce in brownies and I quite liked it. It was different but not in a bad way at all. I've also used it in sweet breads with great success. 

Late to the party, but I do have one FB "friend" who shared Lori's viral post way back when. I ranted at Mr. Snood for quite a while about it, and he started realizing that my Free Jingering was useful for enhancing discernment. I had more friends share TAM 's magazine rant though.

About the cookies, I think the cost of the Costco membership should be factored into the calculation. Why does a 2 person household need a Costco membership? Maybe for Ken's business supplies?

49 minutes ago, SweetLifeSunshine said:

*raises hand*

Long time lurker, first time poster. The financial ignorance has gotten the best of me. 

Love it!!! I agree, the financial ignorance she displays *almost* bothers me more than her other piles of poop.

3 minutes ago, fundamentallyfearless said:

Love it!!! I agree, the financial ignorance she displays *almost* bothers me more than her other piles of poop.

Gosh yes! As someone who grew up with parents who often struggled with money, it sucks. Don't get me wrong, I've  learned a lot about what's truly important. But not living in poverty isn't about having extras. It's  about also have necessities like idk health care, dental care, eye care etc. All of these we struggled to get. So her encouraging women to be poor while flaunting her wealth is aggravating 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived