IGNORED

Lori Alexander 30: Bad Speller, Worse Teacher, the Worst Mentor

laPapessaGiovanna

Lori's got a picture on Instagram of all the ingredients she used to bake wheat and grain free chocolate chip cookies. Every ingredient--I counted eight of them--seems to be organic/gluten free/otherwise not your average toll house cookie ingredient. I'd love to know how much those cookies actually cost to make.  :my_dodgy:

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I crazy for applying for something I'm not all qualified for? I need a pep talk. I still struggle with holding back due to my sheltered upbringing. 

19 minutes ago, Loveday said:

Lori's got a picture on Instagram of all the ingredients she used to bake wheat and grain free chocolate chip cookies. Every ingredient--I counted eight of them--seems to be organic/gluten free/otherwise not your average toll house cookie ingredient. I'd love to know how much those cookies actually cost to make.  :my_dodgy:

It ain't cheap. I have to be gluten and sugar free per drs orders.  Lots of cheaper ways around it tho. I make my own GF baking flour. I'm banned from her insty. I really want to see how she makes those. I guarantee I can make them cheaper. 

On 10/4/2017 at 8:09 AM, usmcmom said:

Just wondering...has anybody seen one of these viral posts come across their own Facebook page? Other social media?  Has it been emailed to you from other writers you follow?  

For me the answers are no, no and no. With these VIRAL posts, it seems we'd have at least seen it once or twice outside of Lori Land. 

I'd to know of any of you have seen them elsewhere. 

Not a viral post- but, a friend's sister posted Lori's recent post on women and college. My friend's sister over the years has become more conservative.  She did attend a junior college right after high school and worked as a paralegal for close to ten years. She quit working after having her third kid. But, she might not agree with Lori's beliefs. She doesn't homeschool her kids and they attend public school. She goes to bible studies and is in charge of a book club for a women's group at their church.

5 minutes ago, EowynW said:

Am I crazy for applying for something I'm not all qualified for? I need a pep talk. I still struggle with holding back due to my sheltered upbringing. 

It ain't cheap. I have to be gluten and sugar free per drs orders.  Lots of cheaper ways around it tho. I make my own GF baking flour. 

1. NO, you aren't crazy! A lot of people get jobs they don't have all the quals for. As long as you have some, or even most, you have as good a  chance as anyone else! Just show them you own that job! :my_biggrin:

2. Making your own GF flour is impressive!  I'm grateful I don't have a gluten problem (I'm diabetic, though, so I shouldn't be eating sugar at all!), I see gluten-free specialty products at the store and think,  $6.00 for a loaf of BREAD? :pb_surprised:  I just wonder how some of Lori's leghumpers would be able to afford to make those cookies. Because you know they'll try, even if they don't have a problem with gluten or sugar. Yet another example of Lori's not-so-subtle bragging. Organic everything, pricey face creams, $1500 sofa refurbishments, 'hand-me-down' gold Mercedes... the list goes on and on, doesn't it? :my_dodgy:

24 minutes ago, Loveday said:

I know she won't use all of the ingredients for one batch, but the grand total for the items pictured is: $89.07 without tax.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Nearly $100 on cookie baking supplies.

3 minutes ago, Loveday said:

1. NO, you aren't crazy! A lot of people get jobs they don't have all the quals for. As long as you have some, or even most, you have as good a  chance as anyone else! Just show them you own that job! :my_biggrin:

2. Making your own GF flour is impressive!  I'm grateful I don't have a gluten problem (I'm diabetic, though, so I shouldn't be eating sugar at all!), I see gluten-free specialty products at the store and think,  $6.00 for a loaf of BREAD? :pb_surprised:  I just wonder how some of Lori's leghumpers would be able to afford to make those cookies. Because you know they'll try, even if they don't have a problem with gluten or sugar. Yet another example of Lori's not-so-subtle bragging. Organic everything, pricey face creams, $1500 sofa refurbishments, 'hand-me-down' gold Mercedes... the list goes on and on, doesn't it? :my_dodgy:

Even if I don't get it, I'm going to be so proud of myself for trying. 

Oh, I don't even buy packaged "gluten free" anything. It's still highly processed IMO. I cook it all from scratch. Even if I go out for a hamburger I ask for it wrapped in lettuce rather than a GF bun. It's cheaper and I feel better eating as clean as I can. 

19 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Lori says in comments at her blog

Come on, can you imagine that conversation? I don't believe for one second a woman who admit to neglecting husband and children. How many female doctor friends does she possibly have? Then again she is a wealthy and probably hangs in those circles.  I doubt they  know about her blog. 

I don't really believe it either. If she does some know some female doctors I hope they find out about her blog and her hatred of working women. I suspect Lori already made a good number of enemies in IRL due to her blog.  We know that she and Ken have had drama at churches and I'm sure the blogs are part of that reason.

@EowynW No you' aren't crazy.   You've got this.  You can do it.    Team EowynW all the way!!! 

Every job advertised lists the qualifications of the absolutely most perfect employee.  That person doesn't exist.  It's the pie-in-the-sky, best-case scenario.  Employers looks at the resumes/ applications of the people who do apply, and based on the person's background and a lot of intangibles -- like personality and enthusiasm and who they know who may know you, your smile, your confidence, etc., etc.  -- they make a decision.

Many years ago I was told I got the job over a bunch of similar candidates because I wrote a Thank You note to my interviewer.  This was pre-email so it was on paper.  I still write those notes, just an email now.  It's a good way to distinguish yourself and subtly remind the interviewer why you are the best person for the job.

Seriously the worst that could happen is you don't get the job -- which you don't have now.  Since you know already know what the worst case is, you can concentrate on the best case:   Getting the job.  If you don't have a resume, think about creating one.  Feel free to PM me if you need advice or help (I do this alot for friends.)  Think about creating a Linked In page so prospective employers can easily find you.

As you have fundie family on both sides, my advice is not to mention this at all to them.  You don't need any negativity in your life while job hunting. If you don't get the job, don't tell your family.  Just spend a moment stomping your feet, going damn, damn, damn and then keep looking

So .......... deep breath, stand up straight, head held high, wear a nice outfit you feel comfortable in and know you look good in and walk in to fill out the application.

2 minutes ago, Koala said:

I know she won't use all of the ingredients for one batch, but the grand total for the items pictured is: $89.07 without tax.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Nearly $100 on cookie baking supplies.

Oh please someone post a pic of her ingredients! 

@EowynW Sure!

Good luck on your job interview!  We are cheering for you!

To be fair, I added up how much it would cost me to bake a pretty much limitless supply of chocolate chip cookies (if I had to buy every single item I needed).  Total without tax? 21.24

Savings compared to The Frugal Mentor's cookies? $67.83

12 minutes ago, Koala said:

I actually just said 'Holy Shit' out loud here in my kitchen. That's a week's worth of groceries for the three adult people and one cat who live in my house.:ABON:

7 minutes ago, Koala said:

@EowynW Sure!

Good luck on your job interview!  We are cheering for you!

To be fair, I added up how much it would cost me to bake a pretty much limitless supply of chocolate chip cookies (if I had to buy every single item I needed).  Total without tax? 21.24

Savings compared to The Frugal Mentor's cookies? $67.83

Ehhhh I can make up a blood sugar friendly gluten free batch for less than half that. The biggest up front cost would be mixing up a batch of the flour. About $30 for flax, almond and coconut flour all all walmart. But that lasts a long time and a lot of meals

40 minutes ago, Imrlgoddess said:

I guess if you stretch her ideas about home to the extreme:  One car because only the husband needs to leave everyday.  No medical insurance because you're supposed to cook from scratch and use at home remedies.  Her idea of homeschool seems to be cost free, but most of the Christian based programs I've seen are fairly expensive...but for the sake of her argument...free schooling.  If you manage to get a house on foreclosure or something equally as cost effective:  low mortgage.  No cell phones unless dad needs one.  No cable because tv is ebil, no internet either unless it's necessary for the schooling.  Mom magically gardens while chasing children and they buy meat yearly, wholesale, so food costs are cut down a bit.  Sure, a family of four or five could probably squeak by on a small/poverty level income.  No one could ever be sick or injured though, car never breaks down, house never needs major repair, job is continuous.  No contingency whatsoever.  And that man better be licensed or degreed out the wazoo so he can keep steady income coming in.  And he better be the perfect handyman and auto mechanic.  

That's a tall damn order.

Lori's fangirls usually will say how they survive on one income because they don't have cable, don't go out to eat or movie theaters, no expensive electronics, no vacations, thrift store clothes, and one car usually older. Those things may help stretch money to a certain extent. You bring up good points regarding car and home repairs, illness, or injury. Are Lori's fangirls prepared for those things?  My dad was able to do some home and car repairs to save money even though my mom also worked. There were times he called in plumbers or electricians to do major repairs that he didn't trust himself to do.  My cousin is a general contractor and a licensed electrician  and he has told me a few DIY disaster stories.

Lori's fangirls will never think about the fact that their husbands could become disabled/ill and unable to work. Lori doesn't really bring that up much except for a blog post where a fangirl said that her family lived off the husband's SSDI.

@EowynW - go for it. Regardless of the outcome, the interview will be great experience and a real confidence booster. If they ask about something in which you don't have experience, be honest - maybe say "No; but I am willing to learn..."

You have a lot of advice coming your way. All I remember are the tips my mother gave me when I was younger. She was a personnel manager for 20 years and she instilled in us all the things she looked for in a new hire. PM me if you'd like. 

I believe in you and I think you are amazing and courageous. 

Lori's cookies: I buy those chocolate chips because I have to eat dairy free. They are about $7 a bag at the local health food store. They are just over $6 on the Enjoy Life website. I try to eat limited gluten but when it comes to baked goods, I make them very rarely so that, when I do bake, I feel okay using plain wheat flour.  With fall weather settling in, my baking fingers are itching, though. I want to spend a whole day on cookies and breads. 

I have often said that Lori should send her readers our way for tips on how to make their dollars stretch.  Women here know how to make it happen on a budget.  

I can't tell you how many times I've been in absolute astonishment at the money Lori spends.  I can't even imagine.  

I also wonder if Lori's "no need to plan for tomorrow, for the Lord is our provider" bit, applies to Ken's retirement.  She's spends money so freely, it makes it hard for me to believe that they are setting aside what they should.  The fact that the kitchen remodel came 5 years ahead of schedule, says that they are spending money they don't have.

In any case, if they don't have enough for retirement,  she is going to expect her kids to care for them.  They are, after all, the best retirement plan.  At least according to Ken and Lori.  *gag*

1 hour ago, Frog99 said:

The assertion about living on one income ignores the differences in regional cost of living. Also- is that $40,000 before or after taxes? Is insurance covered solely by the employer? Did they live in a community that barters for services? Did they live on family property? What other resources existed in the environment to support them? 

I just added up our yearly expenses- minus childcare, cable, Amazon, and cell phones, and the total comes to $38,352. We are a family of four. For a family of 9, health insurance and food would cost (at minimum) another $3600/year. That doesn’t include allowances for new clothing, health visit co-pays, medication, toiletries, any unexpected expenses, eating out, or anything else I missed. 

After reading some fundie blogs there are some people who fit into the things you mention. Kelly Crawford and her family live on family property owned by her parents. Some fundies including the Duggars and Bateses have received handouts from churches in the past. IIRC, one of the Jeub daughters received donated orthodontic work from an orthodontist. Then you have other grifter types like Zsu and PP whose church communities give them money and other things.

Idk I've made three ingredient peanut butter cookies that I liked. But then again I might have a small obsession with peanut butter. But it was only peanut butter, an egg, and some sugar,so it's gulten free. Anyone else try this? I wonder if a sugar substitute would taste okay? But even organic peanut butter isn't that expensive usually. Of course when I made them I didn't use organic. I do try to buy more organic/ less processed now (yeah Aldi's!) Throw some of those organic chocolate chips in there and they'd be much cheaper peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. When you're a poor college student stress baking for finals you get desperate for a cheap cookie fix. Better than drugs right? 

4 minutes ago, Koala said:

In any case, if they don't have enough for retirement,  she is going to expect her kids to care for them.  They are, after all, the best retirement plan.  At least according to Ken and Lori.  *gag*

I really wonder if they are hoping orthodontist son Steven will support them and maybe Cassi's husband who is going to be a dentist. I hope Steven's wife and Cassi's husband throw bitch fits if Loriken tries to get money from them down the road. My parents had no issue occasionally helping out my grandmothers with unexpected expenses. But, I doubt they would have been happy if they to be constantly supporting and giving money to them. 

2 minutes ago, lilwriter85 said:

Lori's fangirls usually will say how they survive on one income because they don't have cable, don't go out to eat or movie theaters, no expensive electronics, no vacations, thrift store clothes, and one car usually older. Those things may help stretch money to a certain extent. You bring up good points regarding car and home repairs, illness, or injury. Are Lori's fangirls prepared for those things?  My dad was able to do some home and car repairs to save money even though my mom also worked. There were times he called in plumbers or electricians to do major repairs that he didn't trust himself to do.  My cousin is a general contractor and a licensed electrician  and he has told me a few DIY disaster stories.

Lori's fangirls will never think about the fact that their husbands could become disabled/ill and unable to work. Lori doesn't really bring that up much except for a blog post where a fangirl said that her family lived off the husband's SSDI.

I would say they probably aren't prepared and the moment something would happen they'd be tearing their hair out wondering what ill they did wrong to beget such a hardship.

This past month we've had to replace a storm door on our house, the motor in our air conditioner/furnace and now we're looking at possibly replacing a tire on my husbands truck.  None of that is $50 fix.  The storm door was a must, it rains a lot here our front door would rot if it didn't have a buffer.  Could we have gone without the AC or heater?  Probably, we've done it in the past, but it makes for a miserable and slightly mildewy house, did I mention it rains a lot??  Dual income and half decent tax returns make a huge difference when it comes to savings and getting things done at home.  We'd be in a nine line bind if he or myself weren't so handy around the vehicles or the house.  The HVAC repair alone gave us both a heart attack, neither of us are savvy enough or capable to do that kind of work.  And now hubby is laying in a hospital bed till further notice.  I keep thinking "just get to July".  By then I will have all my degrees and certifications and my truck note will be gone.  Then the hubby can take it easy and work as he chooses, I won't let my household go to pot because I ignore the capabilities God gave me.   My mom would say that it is sinful for those people to test God and allow their homes or situations to fall into ruin due to lack of will.  

9 minutes ago, Sarah92 said:

Idk I've made three ingredient peanut butter cookies that I liked. But then again I might have a small obsession with peanut butter. But it was only peanut butter, an egg, and some sugar,so it's gulden free. Anyone else try this? I wonder if a sugar substitute would taste okay? But even organic peanut butter (yeah aldis!) isn't that expensive. Throw some of those organic chocolate chips in there and they'd be much cheaper peanut butter Chocolate chip cookies. When you're a poor college student stress baking for finals you get desperate. 

My sister makes peanut butter cookies like this!  They are amazing!

1 hour ago, EowynW said:

We are at about 29K yearly right now and it's no joke. 

Theres a county librarian position open here that I'm going to apply for. I don't *quite* meet all the qualifications but I'm darn close. I'm going to make myself be brave and go apply. 

Yes!! Apply! It’s all about how you present your strengths! 

My 8 year old needs braces- the “pre-braces” are $2000 after insurance. The hubs does all of our dentist’s electrical work- just finished a new location for her- and so we have a barter arrangement. My husband does quality work but I also recognize that even separate from that, our opportunity to barter is related to a level of privilege. 

Lori has no idea how privileged she is. What’s worse is that her fangirls don’t see her privilege or theirs. 

I have wondered how some of her readers handle orthodontic issues that arise.  

Both of my kids got braces last Feb.  We have good insurance, but I still pay $270 a month. 

Many of her fangirls have a lot of children, and Lord knows Lori encourages them, no matter the cost.  If they're all healthy, it's manageable while they're young, but once they hit the teen years, there are a lot of things that have to be paid for.

We are already thinking about cars, car insurance, and college (coming up shortly).  We've prepared for that by staying in a house that's less than a third the size of Lori's.  I don't drive a new car (I will drive my mini-van as long as humanly possible).  My husband's truck is 16 years old.  I cook almost every meal at home, and my husband takes his lunch most days.

We do take a one week vacation each year, and that's our "live like kings" week, but other than that, we keep an eye towards the future.  We are already preparing for my husband's retirement.

I can't imagine being in my sixties and spending money hand over fist, but Lori seems to spend it like it's going out of style.

7 minutes ago, Frog99 said:

Lori has no idea how privileged she is. What’s worse is that her fangirls don’t see her privilege or theirs. 

I would say that it's worse the fangirls don't see or realize how privileged their "mentor' is.  They often talk about stretching their budgets and some have husbands who work multiple jobs. Lori and Ken don't do a lot of the things the fangirls and their husbands do. There fangirls this past summer saying they don't take vacations or eat out, meanwhile Lori and Ken were on a long vacation out of state and eating at various restaurants in Door County. The fangirls say they buy clothes from thrift stores, while Lori has a $70 skirt and has posted pictures of her Nike sneakers.

Ya know. I really understand Lori rescheduling her kitchen update by five years. We did that. 

Oh wait. We moved ours back by five years. I can't remember what expense came up first; but then our daughter graduated from high school and...you know...college happened. Oh and then our son was stationed on Okinawa and offered to meet us in Hawaii for Christmas. Not a necessity by any means but we saw that kitchen budget and were like...ALOHA!! And then our daughter got engaged nice and young per Lori's teachings (heh). I know we would not have HAD to pay for a wedding but we wanted to. We had planned on it and we did it. Oh and then our water heater and furnace went out in the same winter - right after our gas fireplace sprung a leak. Good times.  During all of this, we were seeing all the "hidden fees" of nursing school - scrubs, nursing shoes, stethoscope, blood pressure cuff - a university patch for each item of scrub clothing. I just started picturing our checkbook as a bucket with a hole in it. I told my husband "I'm not even going to TRY to plug that hole. When it's empty, it's empty."  

When we DID do the kitchen, we started marking things off the list "don't need that; don't need that."  I took all the cabinet pulls off and painted them and that saved a few hundred dollars. We had big hopes of updating the laundry room too - adding cabinets - but those white Dollar Tree tubs are still there. That's okay; though. Our children will not be supporting us in retirement. 

So, yeah; I totally get Lori's remodeling plain. We have so much in common. 

Oh...you wanna know what's funny?  My daughter sent me a picture last week of a rash on her leg. She was asking "What should I do for this?" I told my husband there was something very VERY wrong with this - we paid for her nursing degree and she's texting ME?  My response: "That looks serious. You really should see a nurse." She is really tired of that joke but I crack myself up with it every time. 

45 minutes ago, Koala said:

I have wondered how some of her readers handle orthodontic issues that arise.  

I'm guessing some of the fangirls' husbands if they had trade businesses might try to barter with the orthodontists. There is nothing wrong with bartering as long as both parties do quality work and meet the terms of agreement.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the fangirls would secretly take Medicaid orthodontic work if it was deemed medically necessary for the kids. They would get the work done and they might lie to people and say they have a payment plan or something with the orthodontist. I suspect that some of Lori's fangirls and their families do get forms of government assistance, but they keep quiet about it or lie.

@usmcmom- Yep.  That's where we are.  All decisions are filtered through- cars (coming really soon), college, and retirement.  We are prepared to pay for weddings as well.  

It doesn't leave me feeling like pouring money into every gift shop in Door County, or investing $100 in choc. chip cookies.

Of course, we're also planning to fully fund ourselves in my husband's retirement.  Lori has God to worry about things like that.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived