IGNORED

Counting On, Season 4 Part 2: Still Far Behind Real Life

Coconut Flan

I swoon for accents. I'm from IL but went to Texas this past August and a gentleman called me ma'am. Lord have mercy, y'all. I couldn't handle it. I asked him to say it three times total. Heaven. I don't judge people on their accent though. I didn't even realize that was a thing. I just love to hear accents. Although not related to accents, I don't pronounce the second t in words like button or mitten. I don't think I'm stupid though hah. Also, I get twangy when I'm upset and I don't know why. 

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also late to the party. My accent is a fantastic mix of upper Midwest and Northeast.  Picture cah pahk with a Wisconsin accent. Oh, and when I coteach with my Canadian colleague the upper Midwest accent comes out strong. And because I went to high school with a lot of people from the South,  throw in some ya'lls in there too. 

35 minutes ago, Pasta said:

Although not related to accents, I don't pronounce the second t in words like button or mitten. I don't think I'm stupid though hah. 

I pretty much never pronounce Ts in the middle of words -- 'button', 'mitten', 'mountain' all just have a glottal stop in the middle.  I just realized that I also do this sometimes at the ends of words, like 'got', 'hot', 'not' -- I always thought I was pronouncing the T because it seems like an integral part of the word, but no. 

My accent is some kind of weird blend of west coast (where I grew up and went to college) and northeast (where I've spent the last 6 years). 

37 minutes ago, front hugs > duggs said:

Raised in an NYC suburb. Lived in the south for several years. Married a Brit. 

We speak oddly in our home :pb_lol:

Southerner married to a Brit. We moved to the Midwest when GryffindorDisappointment was 9. That kid’s accent it some kind of fucked up. Lol

I'm a failure as a Québecoise as I hate poutine and have to be man-handled to walk into a Timmy's.

I still have a touch of a NE England accent which is more apparent with some words than others though. Or when I'm annoyed.

@creationmuseumseasonpass, did you have to use the gel drops? If so, any tips for actually getting them IN your eyes? I feel like I have about a 10% success rate.

1 hour ago, kacarlton said:

did you have to use the gel drops? If so, any tips for actually getting them IN your eyes? I feel like I have about a 10% success rate.

I always think it's easiest to pull out my bottom eyelid and just drop them in the pouch that's created. Keeps me from blinking furiously and flinching the drops on to my cheek.

P.S. I don't know how often you need to use any kind of drops, but my ophthalmologist told me that if I needed drops more often than about three or four times a day, the preservatives in the bottles can really do a number on your cornea (retina? I've forgotten the specifics, but I recall him saying something about dissolving the lens..)

So if you use them often, please do research it! The individual vials are designed for those of us with wicked dry eyes :)

On 9/22/2017 at 4:46 PM, Carm_88 said:

Speaking of Canada, we are very sick of hearing "aboot" and "eh" and people asking us about bagged milk. So sorry but stop! :P 

I am also tired of Americans assuming I live in an igloo.

I again apologize about the whole glasses thing. Must have been projecting. My best friend made me wear my contacts to her wedding, I made her wear them to mine. I made my comment, with the knowledge that she doesn't always wear her glasses, I am much the same way, so I thought it was weird she wore them to the wedding. With that said,  you are all right that I don't know what she has going on with her eyes, and I am now in a state of mea culpa. Again. Super sorry I offended.

As far as accents go, I rock out a Chicago one pretty hard core. It's not hot. I do love me a Scotland accent though. The thicker the better

My first roommate had gone to boarding school in Toronto before college and would make endless amounts of poutine after we'd go out, hall kitchen was best, but she could also work magic with that horrible little dorm microwave. Working on global teams means I get to hear a lot of accents, but it's like singers where you have an idea in your head of what they look like and finally see a photo and it doesn't match what's in your head at all.  Same with reading a book and seeing who they cast in the movie. 

We have poutine all over the place in Wisconsin too, due to the abundance of cheese curds (the fried ones are to die for too...) I usually have to split an order with someone, though; that much gravy is more salt in a sitting than I enjoy.

I grew up in Montana. The internet has taught me that my particular accent makes me sound like a caricature of a hillbilly. I don't particularly care. But if I talk to someone with a decently strong accent from somewhere else, I will have adapted and started talking in a similar fashion within half an hour. It's not a conscious decision, it just happens. My whole family is like that. Last weekend my niece spent the day playing with a kid who can't make the "R" sound and by the end of the day niece was saying things like "sistow" for sister, without meaning to. No mockery is intended, again, it's not deliberate. So hopefully I haven't offended people in the past by mirroring their accents.

2 hours ago, Greendoor said:

I am also tired of Americans assuming I live in an igloo.

I'm originally from Alaska, and we got this from other Americans all the time.  Also other Americans not knowing we were America. Tourists (from the U.S.!) seriously asked if we took American money.  Once I did a total deadpan, "No, we only trade in bear pelts here -- what, you don't have any?' 

1 hour ago, SadieJane said:

As far as accents go, I rock out a Chicago one pretty hard core. It's not hot.

I actually really like a Chicago accent -- my dad is from there and I've always found it very comforting and homey. 

1 minute ago, lumpentheologie said:

I'm originally from Alaska, and we got this from other Americans all the time.  Also other Americans not knowing we were America. Tourists (from the U.S.!) seriously asked if we took American money.  Once I did a total deadpan, "No, we only trade in bear pelts here -- what, you don't have any?' 

I actually really like a Chicago accent -- my dad is from there and I've always found it very comforting and homey. 

There was a long time when I never realized I had an accent, and then I started singing opera, and my vocal coach was like, girl, round out your vowels. I honestly had no idea. My in laws make fun of it sometimes, because they are southern and I sound weird. lmao

45 minutes ago, lumpentheologie said:

Lol how did they react? Some people are stupid and will believe that.

3 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Lol how did they react? Some people are stupid and will believe that.

Pretty sure they got it after a 2-second shocked stare :my_biggrin:

I have the accent that is stereotyped in American films as being "British". Actually only a tiny area of GB has that kind of accent (think Colin Firth crossed with Hermione Granger) and it shows how easy it is to fall into stereotypes. Is it true that certain programmes on BBC America need subtitles? Although to be fair here they put subtitles on Rab C Nesbit for those outside of Scotland

I’m glad you mentioned the variety of accents in the UK. My FIL is East London, my MIL is South West. My sister-in-law is from East Anglia. 

I have trouble understanding FIL on the phone. MIL has perfected a non-South-West accent and sounds precisely like Hyacinth Bucket. I have to bite my tongue to stop myself asking about her hand-painted periwinkles. 

There are just as many regional accents in the UK as in the USA. And yeah, some shows do add subtitles for particularly difficult accents. To be fair, TLC will often subtitle the Duggars’ words too. The Honey BooBoo show was always subtitled due to their very thick Southern accents. 

This isn't so much an accent thing, but the United States contains both Ohio and Iowa. They are two separate states, separated by Indiana and Illinois. While they both start and end with vowels, they are two individual, unique states. They are not interchangeable. Please don't confuse them. 

Signed

Born a Buckeye, never have been a Hawkeye

(I've lived in the Southwest and the Northwest, and in both regions I've encountered several people who confuse Ohio and Iowa.)

I am from PA (about an hour west of Philadelphia) and I often get asked if I'm Canadian. My dad (also born in PA) grew up in Toronto from age 5 to 18. Most of his family stayed in Toronto. My Canadian aunt recently told me that I don't have the same accent as my siblings and that I sound Canadian. It's so funny to me because I think I sound exactly the same as my siblings-yet I do notice that we don't sound quite the same as others from our area of PA so I guess our dad's Canadian upbringing does show. However-my dad has NEVER been asked if he's Canadian.

On 9/23/2017 at 0:39 AM, NewOrleansLady said:

Sgt. Preston of the CMP. (Black and white only ) Boy I am really shoeing my age

There's always Constable Benton Fraser, too, if you want someone a little more recent...

Regarding accents, I apparently have a fairly strong Philly accent. I'm not in the city, but the suburbs. I never thought of myself as having an accent until in college, when several friends from NJ and NY thought the way I said "bagel" was hysterical. :NAWAK:

9 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

This isn't so much an accent thing, but the United States contains both Ohio and Iowa. They are two separate states, separated by Indiana and Illinois. While they both start and end with vowels, they are two individual, unique states. They are not interchangeable. Please don't confuse them. 

I'm an Iowan been to al the states and yep they are all VERY different places and locations. 

1887_54eb9faf7a5895.02067909_idawahio.guys.folded_grande_a4eec09a-3a0f-4609-bac3-cfbb0d8c0c65_1500x.jpg

11 hours ago, Audrey2 said:

Signed

Born a Buckeye, never have been a Hawkeye

(I've lived in the Southwest and the Northwest, and in both regions I've encountered several people who confuse Ohio and Iowa.)

I live in South Carolina,I have for 39 years.I have had people confuse with North Carolina.I used to go to chat room,when we first got a computer,I had someone ask if I knew how to square dance...Lol.I said well not since middle school...lol.

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived