IGNORED

Counting On, Season 4 Part 2: Still Far Behind Real Life

Coconut Flan

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With anyone not living in our household, and even then it's questionable sometimes, we only know what they tell us about themselves, to whatever degree they choose to reveal or spin their life.

The Duggars have been in on television and in the media for many years now. It's reasonable that viewers/readers have developed opinions about the various family members. These opinions differ based on the perspective of the opinion holder.

To me, some opinions are riding the ISB rather recklessly, but hey, the Duggars put themselves out there to be judged and micro-evaluated by those inclined to do that sort of thing. I'm not so inclined.

It's enough for me to know that the Orange Menace is the one they support, Ben notwithstanding. It's enough for me to know that they normalize sexual abuse and consider non-cisgendered heterosexuals to be the others not deserving of equal protection under the law.

Ben is the only one I have even a tittle of respect for, as he rejects, on the surface at least, the racism that so permeates that culture. Not voting for Dump, and admitting it, was big! However, what he says means little if he continues in the cult and continues to raise his children in it. YMMV, to each her own, and all of that.

OK, have a good day everyone, the real world calls!

33 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

Who is Wolf Boy? 

Bad Wolf's son. There's also a Mr. Wolf, a Wolf Girl, and 2 Grand Wolves. :happy-smileyinthebox:

@2manyKidzzz-Remember Derick seemed like a quasi gem too- college educated, employed at WM...never underestimate the spell that Duggarville seemingly puts on others.

@SassyPants I'm thinking more of how Jinger's life has improved materially. I haven't listened to Jeremy's sermons, but I understand his beliefs. He does seem to make money at this satellite church, the finances there escape me. At least he isn't talking about saving heathens in another country and dragging Jinger along to have babies and struggle. 

No, I was fooled by DWreck but now I am wise. But I did talk about Austin's work ethic. But that is separate from his fundieness and is just in contrast to DWreck's grifting.

Well, I guess I could summarize by saying if the guy is not grifting, that is a plus. Ho ho ha ha

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

@2manyKidzzz-Remember Derick seemed like a quasi gem too- college educated, employed at WM...never underestimate the spell that Duggarville seemingly puts on others.

Exactly why have a normal job when you can just parade yourself in front of cameras and get paid. 

18 hours ago, ThunderRolls said:

Finally had a chance to watch the episode. Israel's birthday cake DID have his name on it, and honestly, it seemed like a

I was impressed by Jessa during this episode - she was patient with Joy, and she seemed like she genuinely wanted to help. Ben might be a little dim at times, but he seems genuinely supportive, and think he's brought out some of Jessa's better qualities. If I remember correctly, these two also had the longest courtship? 

If anyone has watched Downton Abbey. Jessa and Ben remind me of Mary and Matthew. Ben (Matthew) really did bring out the best in Jessa (Mary)

17 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Ben doesn't appear eloquent, so maybe being a preacher isn't in the cards for him but at least he's trying. Ben may find a path that better suits him. I wish him luck with it all. It's not easy. 

He's young, not a baby, he acts far more mature than Derick has these past months. He quietly goes about his business without making too much of a fuss. I can't fault him for that. 

And Ben can always be the pastor that WRITES the sermons instead of the one that delivers. It takes all types. And wasn't there an Apostle that stuttered? 

I have a question: why does it seems that the girls wait late to pick their dresses? Joy did her selection 25 days prior to her wedding. Why couldn't she pick the dress at day 2 of her engagement?

1 minute ago, sunshine said:

I have a question: why does it seems that the girls wait late to pick their dresses? Joy did her selection 25 days prior to her wedding. Why couldn't she pick the dress at day 2 of her engagement?

Because they have to set up the appointment, that woman has to choose the dresses she's going to show her, the other daughters have to coordinate their schedules, and TLC has to figure stuff out on their end. 25 days was about the halfway point of Joy's engagement. The solution to that nonsense is to have longer engagements, but of course that's unacceptable because someone might accidentally front hug for 10 seconds or go out of their mind with lust and give their fiance a kiss on the cheek. :pb_rollseyes:

2 hours ago, singsingsing said:

The solution to that nonsense is to have longer engagements, but of course that's unacceptable because someone might accidentally front hug for 10 seconds or go out of their mind with lust and give their fiance a kiss on the cheek. :pb_rollseyes:

Horrors. They would never allow that to be shown. I remember when Derjill front hugged when he came home from Nepal. M practically had a heart attack. We all need physical contact.

They really have (except dwerk) seemed to reel in even their social medias at this point. They don't want their average fan viewers realizing how different their 'real' lives are compared too what they play on tv.

Also one thing that bugged me that didn't seem to get attention (if it did sorry I didn't see it), but when they were talking to Joy about her proposal and the hug and she flat out says "I thought we were alone" or "I didn't see anyone out there".  That right there tells you that these people do have alone time but still blather on about 3 second slips on their courting hugs. :pb_lol::pb_lol:

18 minutes ago, GotCaughtDancing said:

Also one thing that bugged me that didn't seem to get attention (if it did sorry I didn't see it), but when they were talking to Joy about her proposal and the hug and she flat out says "I thought we were alone" or "I didn't see anyone out there".  That right there tells you that these people do have alone time but still blather on about 3 second slips on their courting hugs. :pb_lol::pb_lol:

Unfortunately she was just talking about the camera crew. They were hiding, so she thought they weren't being filmed - not that they were completely alone.

I get that,  but she still went for the hug with no problem. Which means they had no qualms about hugging in front of their family/chaperones and not to worry because no camera was there to catch them. 

More of the duggar do as I present the brand, not as I actually live rhetoric.

4 hours ago, sunshine said:

It seems that Joy told Ms Renee what style dress she wanted and probably gave her the measurements in advance so that all she had to do was show up and try on a few dresses that had already been prepared for her and just choose one. The other dresses that were not her chosen style were just for show, the TLC show. 

We know how the timelines for the show & for the whole family are totally skewed. I doubt they visited Mizz Renee 25 days before the wedding to pick a dress. That is probably a big fat lie. They might have gone back 25 days before the wedding to try something on for alterations, but waiting until 25 days out to pick a dress and expecting it to be totally ready by the wedding... I'm not buying it. #LiesItsAllLies #DirtyLyingDuggars

On 9/25/2017 at 8:02 PM, OhNoNike said:

My entire family is British.  My sibling and I were born in the states.  I have no issue understanding, but I have seen subtitles on shows with British accents!  It's definitely not all of them, but gypsy wedding has definitely had them (not a show I regularly watch but I scrolled through and noticed this). 

I have Irish relatives as well and when we went to visit the farm when I was 18, I needed help translating what they said.  I'm not sure my mum even caught everything. 

I took my son to see the Full Monty movie (he was an adult) when it came out and he could have used subtitles. As for Irish, one time my husband and I were hitchhiking (yeah, I'm that old) in the west of Ireland and we got picked up by a lovely French couple who had come there to use/improve their English. We stopped to ask directions--this was basically an area close to the Irish-speaking area, and when the guy on the road answered the poor couple looked like they were going to cry.

Phones intensify accents--I have a very close friend that I can hardly talk to on the phone because I can't understand her. When I moved to North Carol, and later to the USVI, I would have to tell people on the phone I was hard of hearing so as not to insult them before I passed the phone to someone else.

That said, every place I moved, the Midwest was the worst for this, people would start talking about "Joisey." Which is an Archie Bunker accent although I'm told used in parts of Jersey City and Bayonne but I've never heard it and it always made me want to hit them.

4 hours ago, divadivine said:

We know how the timelines for the show & for the whole family are totally skewed. I doubt they visited Mizz Renee 25 days before the wedding to pick a dress. That is probably a big fat lie. They might have gone back 25 days before the wedding to try something on for alterations, but waiting until 25 days out to pick a dress and expecting it to be totally ready by the wedding... I'm not buying it. #LiesItsAllLies #DirtyLyingDuggars

We can easily go to May 1 of the Joystin thread to look for the Insta pics that surfaced of them in KY. It's just a matter of someone wanting to do the legwork. 

eta: The earliest post I found here about Joy's dress was from 5/5, mentioning that Joy was at the shop "a few days ago" with a dead FB link. I went to Pickles and found a bunch of pics from the trip. She also used the "few days ago" verbiage, and haven't found any evidence of other trips, so I do think that's the only trip she made to personally see Renee and try on whatever Renee had put together for her. 

That's just insane to me. I hope Renee was well-compensated for the rush job, even if it LOOKED like a rush job (the sleeves were the worst). 

I actually think Ben took to heart the criticism he was faced with. 

He stopped posting stupid arrogant things for the most part. HIs posts are few and far between.  I might be one of the only ones who I  thinks  is choosing his words carefully as not to appear as foolish by sticking his foot in his mouth at every turn. 

We the critics are harsh. The less he says and does, the less he divulges, the less we can critique him on. 

Whereas, Derick is so full of himself he just keeps throwing fodder at us. I really believe Derick is a loose cannon because he has zero esteem and is finding it through his fame. Whether it be negative or positive. I can totally see his group of friends or fellow program participants patting him on the back saying, "We are praying for you buddy. The backlash is harsh but you are standing tall for Jesus. " 

All those delusional people worshipping at the altar of Derick and Jill have filled his head so much he can't see anything but his own brain. As with Josh he is arrogant to the core. The only thing that brings people down a notch into any sort of humility is tragedy or scandal. And even then it might not work. 

With a man like that at the helm the women lose. Jill might having fun right now participating in youth events (living a youth vicariously through these students)  but it will get old fast especially with two babies in tow. 

And when Derick goes out to "minister" at all hours to needy youth Jill will be on the backburner. Especially if her chances of conception have been cut short, and she is at a loss of her place in life. 

When I was 10-20 I was very closely cared for by my youth pastor and his wife. I spent years babysitting his children. I could see as a teen, being a pastor's wife came second. He was a dedicated loving husband who loved his wife deeply but the ministry came first. At all hours. 

He was out taking hiking trips, canoe trips, skydiving, ski weekends, seminars, youth weekends, Youth events all over Canada, short term missions with the kids,  year in and year out. His wife stayed home to look after the kids. 

As it stands now if this is the vocation Derick is choosing I can totally see his arrogant ass doing the same. Except he will have an entitled God like attitude flowing out of his pours unlike my youth pastor.

I get that now there is a lot of money and prestige tied up in it, but shouldn't university be about education and research and knowledge? 

It does. Case in point, UAB Medical Center (and it's associated medical facilities) in Birmingham, AL profits greatly from Alabama athletics. UAB is a sister campus and my husband's alma mater.

13 minutes ago, Mlissmartin said:

I'm so tired of weddings and wedding planning. Just catch us up in real time and show us something new. 

You mean Joe and Kendra's wedding and their wedding planning? :P 

5 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

You mean Joe and Kendra's wedding and their wedding planning? :P 

All of it. I'm over weddings and of everything not being in order.

1 minute ago, Mlissmartin said:

All of it. I'm over weddings and of everything not being in order.

Well weddings and babies is all that they have to offer. 

3 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

Well weddings and babies is all that they have to offer. 

True story. I keep falling asleep if I watch. I'm torn between wanting to see Jana and her gardening and happy she can keep her life more private.

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived