IGNORED

Counting On, Season 4 Part 2: Still Far Behind Real Life

Coconut Flan

7 hours ago, Lurky said:

The fact Joy and Austin love doing outdoorsy things together, and working on the house flipping, and at the camp etc is a far better indication of compatibility than the fact she doesn't want a big wedding.

None of this will matter anyway once she's popped out 5 blessings in the next 6 or 7 years.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All sports are dangerous and can damage something. My oldest had to have a knee repair when he was 20 bcause of childhood soccer injury. He wasn't even a travel player!! Just soccer wear and tear on the joint.

My point about sports, @Maggie Mae, was that there are so many more important things that people could do. While church doesn't do it for you, it certainly does for others, Tithe or not. I do not understand the entertainment value of any sport, really. I find them all deadly dull.  But getting people out to vote on voting day, making sure they're registered and know where their pollign place is, THAT is important and interesting! 

46 minutes ago, Four is Enough said:

My point about sports, @Maggie Mae, was that there are so many more important things that people could do. While church doesn't do it for you, it certainly does for others, Tithe or not. I do not understand the entertainment value of any sport, really. I find them all deadly dull.  But getting people out to vote on voting day, making sure they're registered and know where their pollign place is, THAT is important and interesting! 

I don't understand why you seem to be assuming people can't both love a sport and be politically active in other ways, or do jobs that make the world a better place.

It's frankly ridiculous to suggest that people shouldn't enjoy a hobby because there are more important things they could be doing with their time. I've heard this argument all my life from people trying to tell me that because they don't care about something I enjoy, I'm wasting my time over it.   Here's how it feels from the other side:

Look at you what you're doing for entertainment, right now.  Plenty of people would chide you for having conversations with people on an internet snark site, because there are so many more important things that you could do.  Why are you reading here, when you could be using your time to work to make sure people are registered to vote?  Lots of people would find you spending your time on FJ stupid, not entertaining or edifying.

That's how ridiculous the argument "I don't enjoy what you like, so it must be stupid" is.

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Yeah, doesn't he Big Ten now have something like 14 schools?  The Big 12 is down to 8, it is so confusing now.

And the Big 12 used to be the Big 8 I think. That was many moons ago. I am still irked that Mizzou left. 

I love sports, cars, car shows, turning wrenches, reading geek books. Now...I'll never be a sports star (too fat and too old). My car is a money pit and car shows are just a bunch of people hanging out admiring soulless pieces of metal. The books I read are on subjects that will never be part of my reality. 

So...why do I do it? Because I enjoy it. 

@Lurky Not exactly what I meant to say.. I just meant that I myself do not understand the allure of sports and why people make such an "idol" of them. certainly many of my hobbies would not interest others. Many would think them "stupid"  but  that's why there are so many things fo r people to enjoy, I suppose..

The particular person I cited works a job, and football is all he does, otherwise. That was my reference.

Bowing out of this conversation now...

2 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I can watch football on Sundays with my SO, play fantasy football with my friends and work mates, exercise, read books, protest, play video games AND vote. It's not an either/or situation. Believe it or not, I also hold down a full time salaried position, travel, go on vacations, participate in sports, and manage my finances. I even COULD go to church, but I choose not to because it holds no value for me at this time in my life. I don't care that you go to church. Whatever floats your boat. 

Just because YOU don't feel that it has value (to you), doesn't mean that the 280 million people who watch football weekly during the fall are doing something with "no value." It's family time. It's leisure time. It's a way to share a common interest and maybe have some fun with the rivalries. There are problems with it, as there are with everything in capitalism. The money that is made (and there is a LOT of money and jobs surrounding football, not just on field) isn't fairly distributed. Their are players and coaches, merchandising. There are people who work in the stadium, selling hot dogs and slinging (overpriced) beers. Transportation to the games - people working the trains in Minneapolis and New York on game day - and all the businesses that get income from the crowds of people who crowd the trains on Sunday evenings. There's the people who maintain the field, and people who work support services for the team. Security. Then there are the TV networks and the people who buy and sell advertising on said networks, and creative directors for each and every one of those commercials. Animators and sound people - it's a major production. Cheerleaders at the games and the choreographers. 

Millions of people have great memories of spending time with their parents at games. I remember the first time my dad took me to see the Bears. My vision was obstructed by the superfans in front of us (and I was squished with the "super fans" beside me) and I ended up standing on the bench to see; I drank soda and ate junk food and it was so cool. There were so many people just cheering and having a great time. 

Or watching the Michigan Marching band at half-time. Those college kids put in a TON of work to bounce around like that and hold a tune. And they all have regular studies on top of performing weekly. 

10 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

So far my son's had Phillies onesies and an Eagles sweatsuit. We're still working on a Flyers orange piece of clothing for their next season. :my_biggrin:

:)  These are my teams, too.  It has been a rough few years being a Philly sports fan, but hopefully things are looking up.

On 9/26/2017 at 10:12 AM, Carm_88 said:

I actually did think that Joy was being a brat. I don't think that it has to do with being a tomboy either. I was a pretty big tomboy in my high school years, I was 17 when I was required to pick out a prom dress. I didn't know what I wanted, so I asked the dress lady and my Mom to help me find something that looked nice. I had a big puffy princess dress that wasn't at all me, it was however, very much the style at the time. 

Was I into it? No. Would I preferred to have done it with my friends? Yeah, I would. It was much more fun to do a few years later with university friends. Did I act completely disinterested and sulky the whole time? No. 

So no, not cutting Joy slack here. It was all handed to her on a platter the only thing she had to do was pick out a dress. 

But as someone married to a complete tomboy, I honestly think Joy doesn't WANT to have to wear a wedding dress. But she can't say that, of course. When I married my wife we thought she would just wear a pantsuit. My wife shops in the boys' section, doesn't wear makeup, has no interest in anything "girly" whatsoever. In the end she decided she did want to wear a wedding dress. She will never wear a dress again for any occasion - she's walking me down the aisle in my sister's wedding in a suit in November. But she had the choice. Joy doesn't.

Since you guys are mentioning football, I gotta share this story.

I have no interest in sports or football. When I moved to Lansing for law school, I had no idea about the UM/MSU thing. 

The firs UM/MSU game weekend I was there for, Kroger had BOGO cupcakes - white and green, blue and yellow. I bought one of each. When I was checking out, the cashier asked me if I was for UM or MSU. I asked her what the difference was.

You would have thought I had kicked ten puppies and morphed into Satan at the same time. .... TBH, I didn't even realize they were different schools.

FFS that flashback showing poor Joy as a child trying to rock-climb in a skirt tied to her legs for modesty!! Awful to be that held back by restrictive mandatory clothing.

Jessa and Ben do seem happy as a couple. Interesting when Spurgeon bumped his head and was crying and Ben was hugging him and he was fine with that, didn't seem to want Jessa nor was she very interested in consoling him. She seemed a bit cold although in general I agree with her about not getting too anxious about little bumps and knocks.

Austin is a great catch there in Fundie Land. He is just really attractive and I don't mean only looks, just the way he carries himself, the funny personality, the focus on Joy, hardworking, successful. I think it's great that Joy wanted to call him for emotional support. Nothing wrong with that.

If Michelle was my mom and talked to me in that awful fake baby voice I would freak right out. They so seem to love her though.

Michelle is completely checked out. There was this weird moment during the shopping trip that she said something, I forget what, but it was almost mechanical. It felt like she was saying the words, but didn't mean a thing.  Medicated. If they believed in psych, I'd say she was on psych meds.

Just watching this weeks show now... hmm didn't realize Izzy's cake was in the colors of Dwrecks college. This is a bit weird, but then what does Izzy have of his own that he could like? Kids I know usually have Disney or some type of superhero related themes. 

Joy gets on my nerves but I kinda felt bad for her watching her dress shop. She and Austin do not seem like people that wanted to have a thousand guest ceremony where she must have a proper dress and all. I really don't care about wedding details myself, I never have and the older I get the more I just want to be married not have a party. However if I do get to mix the two the only things I care about are having good food and music. I have an aunt who didnt get married until her mid 40s. Her husband had been married before and neither stressed over the details. I remember her being so excited to show us her off the rack wedding dress she got for about $100 (in NYC no less). It was a very pretty but simple dress. If given the choice I could see Joy doing something similar. 

you know what bugs me now the next generation will be only allowed at TTH because all the cousins endlessly play together....no other friends are allowed.....LIFE IS NOT LIKE THAT 

12 hours ago, Rio said:

FFS that flashback showing poor Joy as a child trying to rock-climb in a skirt tied to her legs for modesty!! Awful to be that held back by restrictive mandatory clothing.

I remember watching that episode a few years ago at my parents' house.  My dad saw that scene and was horrified that the facility allowed her to climb in flip-flops.  He had gone indoor rock-climbing several times, and the facilities always had a "close-toed shoe" policy, as well as loaner shoes you could use if you didn't arrive with proper footwear.

My rock gym requires climbing shoes. You wouldn't want to climb in flip flops. How did they get her in a harness if she was wearing a skirt? Or was it just bouldering? (Still should have climbing shoes and shorts on.) 

1 minute ago, nst said:

where am i supposed to like a post - this new version is confusing 

bueller

I'm on my desktop so when I touch the heart in the bottom right it gives me new options :)

13 minutes ago, TeaGrannie said:

I'm on my desktop so when I touch the heart in the bottom right it gives me new options

I get the same on my phone. :)

I gotta say, I'm really glad American football is finally receiving the criticism is deserves. It's so hard on these players bodies and their lifespans are so short. I'd be okay with it if we viewed it the same way we viewed other dangerous sports, but in the US, it's like this family friendly thing that at times is regarded as above criticism, and I hate that.

Clearly I'm not a football fan, haha. I try to be respectful of people who have happy memories and experiences with it. That said, I'm pretty open about how I think/hope the NFL as an organization isn't long for this world. 

In Izzy's case, I assume his parents aren't so thick that if they're priming him to dream of pistol Pete, they're also priming him to dream of college. I hope 10 years down the road, ATI and their stupid booklets have folded, and internet is omnipresent enough for Izzy to be able to research and realize his own dreams.

Actually, in the last two years or so a LOT of focus has been on the dangers of football in America. There was even a pretty popular movie that came out not too long ago about the dangers of concussions. So no. It's not just being swept under the rug anymore. Many schools in the US are even banning tackle football. 

Here's the 2015 movie @KelseyAnnmentioned:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt3322364/?ref_=m_nmfmd_act_7

I believe the study done that first drew attention to the connection between CTE and football (and that I believe the movie is based off of) was done back in 2005. So like Kelsey said, the NFL and tackle football have been drawing criticism for several years now in regards to safety. It's definitely not a new thing. 

I've already got a Titans onesie-found it at Goodwill.  It looks brand new. @NotQuiteMotY a magazine out of Nashville stated we lost the Final  to Philadelphia.  So congrats on the Cup lol.

In other news I ordered the blue flower dress Joy had in the dirtbike pic and it's actually quite comfy!

• Buzzard locked and unpinned this topic

Archived