IGNORED

Seewalds 26: Marketing her cute growing (?) family

samurai_sarah

Mr. Wolf and I both roughhoused with Wolf Girl and Wolf Boy. My dad wrestled with me. Didn't see a problem.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I agree this video is cute. Spurgeon and Ben are having fun together. But it's also bringing out a lot of different thoughts on the subject for me. Roughhousing like this is such a gendered activity. What would we think about this if it was Jessa and Spurgeon playing like this? Or if it was Ben and Spurgette? For some reason, this is only adorable father-son behavior. But if a dad, perhaps like Derick, doesn't want to engage in play like this with his son, does it make him a bad dad to the point that we feel sorry for his kids? My husband didn't play with our kids like this and I didn't think that he was any less of a father. I didn't encourage my kids to play fight because I thought it would encourage real fighting when they were angry. Jessa posted a video of Spurgeon and Henry "wrestling" that wouldn't have been allowed if Henry was Henrietta.

Derick seems like a stiff and only seems to want to discuss Izzy's moral development, but I don't think we really know how they interact. Jill seems to think he's a fantastic father so at least there's that. Not every kid is going to have a "fun" dad like Ben, but it doesn't mean that their dads love them any less. And some "fun" dads are just that and not good dads in any other ways, but I don't think that Ben is part of that group either. This just seems like another example of Jessa and Ben winning the parenting competition and of course, Jill and Derick, once again, are failing miserably by comparison.

All great points. I didn't mean to start a debate about the comparing JessaBen and JillDerick again.

Bowing out now.

11 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Mr. Wolf and I both roughhoused with Wolf Girl and Wolf Boy. My dad wrestled with me. Didn't see a problem.

I guess I have some gendered thinking on the issue and am just generally anti-roughhousing.

38 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

My brother and I wrestled all the time. Made my parents laugh. I was older and bigger, until I wasn't. As long as no one was getting hurt, it didn't matter. 

My son's, 33 and 31 still wrestle like that. If I am not careful and keep my distance, somehow I end up on the floor too. We are a not very mature family.:playful2:

1 hour ago, Fjrocks said:

Man I struggle with these cute videos because, well I think it's great to see such parental interaction. They ARE cute kids. I can't help but want to compliment Jess in the shopping picture for kids who are buckled, dressed well for fall, clean and happy.

But then I ask myself why we have SO much access to these kids, why we get entire photo albums, television shows, magazine covers and social media updates regularly. Will we get these their whole life?

Do you really want to be a good parent Jessa? 

Turn off the Truman show. 

See, and this is why I refuse to give Josh, Anna, Jess, Ben, Jill or Derick a free pass. They have chosen to exploit their kids for financial gain. SES is not working in a family ministry. His life is being sold as a product to consumers. No free pass for 2nd generation Duggars who sell their kids for financial gain. This should be illegal- there need to be full protections in place like child actors have via SAG!

The kids I babysit have the cutest rules when they wrestle like the oldest is like you start on my back and if get hurt then let me know okay? and the youngest whose 3 is like I'll make sure to let you know, gets me every time :pb_lol: Me and my twin brother just did what we wanted and I usually beat him.But one time my sister came home for a weekend and me and my brother were wrestling and she joined in and my mom was like "you guys are above the age of 20?!" granted we were out of breath but it's fun!
"

Yes Spurgeon is so cute in that video. I smiled watching it because my dad and I used to wrestle when I was young. I called it "silly lovin'" which my dad drilled it in to my head not to say that to other people! (The term may suggest something inappropriate was happening, which was NOT the case in my house.)

About Mr. Seewald- his racist bs actually puts Ben in a more positive light I think. We've said on here how Ben is seeming to wrestle with some of his principles, and is thinking about race in particular. Views on topics are always on a sliding scale, and I will give him credit for seeming to move away from his father's cockananny. 

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

I personally don’t really have an issue with roughhousing as long as no one gets hurt. But I think the poster brought up an interesting point. Given the emphasis these Fundies place on gender stereotypes, would we be getting videos like this if Spurgeon or Henry were female? 

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Given the emphasis these Fundies place on gender stereotypes, would we be getting videos like this if Spurgeon or Henry were female? 

No, we wouldn't. Which I partly think may have to do with Josh's molestations. I think that there were already strict gender roles in the Duggar household and they were made stricter in the aftermath of Josh.

22 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I personally don’t really have an issue with roughhousing as long as no one gets hurt

I just read this to Mr. Butt and his response was "Then what is the point of roughhousing between kids?" 

My boys roughhoused all the time growing up and someone always got hurt. We have been to the ER for x-rays and stitches after bouts of roughhousing. Kids are kids, they get hurt. We have repaired drywall a few times too. I think it is a rite of passage between brothers. Like I said, they still do it. But they are more careful of my home now. Each other? Not so much....lol.

When we roughhoused with them as children, we were careful. No one got hurt, at least not seriously. :pb_lol: A head bonk here and there, a sore wrist, a twisted finger, not really a big deal. 

My 4 and (almost) 3 y.o daughters rough house and wrestle all the time. It kind of drives me insane. Someone always gets hurt, or at least butthurt and comes crying to me. Im like I dont know what to tell you except knock that shit off. I grew up with 2 sisters and it wasnt really a thing for us so I'm not a fan. But it happens anyway. My husband will get on the floor and tell them "get daddy" they have a ball but its not my thing. And when he gets hurt I laugh. 

How do you feel about Bill and Jen of the Little Couple? I always think they are interesting to bring up in this discussion because they are so different then any other reality families. 

11 minutes ago, MsSaylor said:

How do you feel about Bill and Jen of the Little Couple? I always think they are interesting to bring up in this discussion because they are so different then any other reality families. 

I think it applies to them too. They seem like really nice people, but that doesn't change the fact that I think being on reality tv is incredibly unhealthy for children. (Well, probably for anyone, actually, but especially children.)

48 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I just read this to Mr. Butt and his response was "Then what is the point of roughhousing between kids?" 

My boys roughhoused all the time growing up and someone always got hurt. We have been to the ER for x-rays and stitches after bouts of roughhousing. Kids are kids, they get hurt. We have repaired drywall a few times too. I think it is a rite of passage between brothers. Like I said, they still do it. But they are more careful of my home now. Each other? Not so much....lol.

When we roughhoused with them as children, we were careful. No one got hurt, at least not seriously. :pb_lol: A head bonk here and there, a sore wrist, a twisted finger, not really a big deal. 

Lol! Yeah, I meant actually hurt - not something I’d classify as a booboo. I’m still in the “I FELL A QUARTER INCH AND I’M PANICKING! MOMMA SAVE ME!” stage of parenting. :pb_lol:

I don’t necessarily roughhouse with the baby, but I do lay on the floor and let her fall all over me. She’s very fond of stealing my glasses and grabbing my face. I’m sure my husband and I will probably roughhouse with her a bit once she gets bigger (though not when the dog is loose - I have a feeling the dog won’t approve of this type of playtime for HER baby. Lol!)

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

Lol! Yeah, I meant actually hurt - not something I’d classify as a booboo. I’m still in the “I FELL A QUARTER INCH AND I’M PANICKING! MOMMA SAVE ME!” stage of parenting. :pb_lol:

I don’t necessarily roughhouse with the baby, but I do lay on the floor and let her fall all over me. She’s very fond of stealing my glasses and grabbing my face. I’m sure my husband and I will probably roughhouse with her a bit once she gets bigger (though not when the dog is loose - I have a feeling the dog won’t approve of this type of playtime for HER baby. Lol!)

My LO did this too, until he broke my glasses, now thats not allowed.  He is bigger and now we roughhouse a bit.  I'm always scared when headship does it, it looks like he might get hurt.

@VelociRapture  I swear I know you're a real person, but reading that all I saw was playful dragons rolling around on a living room floor. Rawrrr! 

14 minutes ago, CharlieInCharge said:

@VelociRapture  I swear I know you're a real person, but reading that all I saw was playful dragons rolling around on a living room floor. Rawrrr! 

26F1D8BD-367D-425A-9DA6-DEC7A9F9076C.thumb.jpeg.c90795008c3e0f7826fd28e8e1f8fefd.jpeg

Sorry the quality isn’t better. Our camera is kind of prehistoric. :pb_lol:

My kids, girl and boy never roughhoused, but my brother's 3 boys (in 3 years), were the absolute worst for this...and they were our neighbors for many years. I actually thought something was wrong when with them they were so physically aggressive towards one another. I hear multiples, especially HOMs are really aggressive with one another. 

My boys have been doing jiu jitsu for 3.5 years and my husband was a high school wrestler.  Rough housing is pretty much standard in our house, but because they’re all trained, we rarely have an injury or hurt feelings.  My niece comes over and only my husband is allowed to “wrestle” her so she doesn’t get hurt.  I participate by tickling.  I honestly think it’s a good thing and I had read that it’s actually really good for inner ear development in the toddler years.

My cousin who is 4 years older than me let me and another cousin (she's 3 years younger than me) "beat him up" when we were little. Essentially, rough house and he'd pretend to lose the "fight." Then my second cousins are continuing the tradition, the 14 year old let's the adorable 6 year old "win" and call him funny names. One time she tried to insult him by saying his new name was "bathroom." He thought it was strange, and I said, "at least it's not poopy head!" And she got all excited about the new insult she learned and decided THAT was his new name. Oops.

11 hours ago, JDuggs said:

I agree this video is cute. Spurgeon and Ben are having fun together. But it's also bringing out a lot of different thoughts on the subject for me. Roughhousing like this is such a gendered activity. What would we think about this if it was Jessa and Spurgeon playing like this? Or if it was Ben and Spurgette? For some reason, this is only adorable father-son behavior.

do you really see Jessa getting off the couch and roughhousing with Spurge - much less putting her phone down. 

It will never happen. She is probably queasy 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived