IGNORED

50s housewife

EowynW

From her blog about being skinnier in the 50s:

"The truth is that in order to obtain and maintain those rail-thin figures of the 50’s-60’s, women frequently had to smoke many cigarettes and rely on large quantities of amphetamines.  And this was all in addition to the enormous amount of walking that came with that era.  They were thin, yes.  Healthy, not necessarily."

And then she has this looooooong post about ,the 50s diet that can help you to slim down. I gave up reading it especially since it was only because of the smoking anyways....

So ,another one that's completely crazy? How is she fundy though? I did not see God mentioned once in the 5 minutes I spent on her blog (that was all I was able to manage, I got too bored with her blablabla)

I just love her assumption we all have a "walk-up attic" to hang up our clothes in on rainy days, And of course we can install a clothesline outline. Because no one lives in a neighborhood that prohibits that.  Has she never heard of an HOA?.

Adding:  She's also shilling for what seems to be an MLM -- Evolv

8 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

From her blog about being skinnier in the 50s:

"The truth is that in order to obtain and maintain those rail-thin figures of the 50’s-60’s, women frequently had to smoke many cigarettes and rely on large quantities of amphetamines.  And this was all in addition to the enormous amount of walking that came with that era.  They were thin, yes.  Healthy, not necessarily."

Oh, please. My mother was very thin in the 1950s and she never smoked a cigarette or took an amphetamine in her life.  And by 1954 she was the mother of three.

I only read a little bit of her blog, but her advice looks about as relevant to my life as the advice in my 1950 (reproduction) Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook.

Spoiler

I included 3 shots of the same page, because I kept getting a glare.20170920_204622.thumb.jpg.e86d7165c9bab3159c2c432af7fa4301.jpg20170920_204533.thumb.jpg.01579dcffbfe04e60b5bf231f3bdc6d6.jpg20170920_204551.thumb.jpg.3bb2776b898bbc88f7c79f9e3477fef3.jpg

Yep. Both equally helpful.:pb_rollseyes:

The diet is nothing hugely special. She's basically vegan. 

Her last post is a guest post by a guy called Sean Coen, which is just going on about how today's kids aren't taught to cope with everyday life. Apparently "boomerang children" who go back to living with their parents do so because they are "unable to handle basic responsibilities necessary to begin an independent life". BULLSHIT. She's got a couple of other things by Sean too.

There's a series called How to Build a Father. She believes that poor fathers are basically the fault of "meddlesome mothers". She acknowledges that some men aren't cut out for fatherhood, but mostly it's the wife's fault. The traditional marriage is dead because of women going off to work during WWII when the men were off fighting, and then the men came home and SHOCK HORROR the women didn't want to go back to being a full-time housewife; apparently, things haven't really "recovered" since. You should allow him 20 minutes of peace when he comes home from work, no interruptions from the kids or anything. 

This is misogynistic bullshit. I can *vaguely* see that bombarding your husband with all your problems the second he comes through the door is probably not the greatest idea, but 20 minutes uninterrupted chill time? Nah. She compared work to a "war zone". Work is stressful, yeah, but calling it a "war zone" is majorly OTT!!

I guess all those women who worked outside the home from neolithic times onwards were just a small blip on the surreal landscape these people live in. 

I just cannot with this woman. I want so badly to believe she is a POE and her site is a parody, but sadly it seems to be all to be real.

@EowynW the Femininity Pt. 2 post made me want to scream and throw my computer across the room.  I refrained, but barely.  Seriously. she thinks affecting a fake high pitched girly girly voice will make your hubby feel all manly and want to shelter and protect you?  It's a wonder she didn't advise acting dumb so he can feel smart and all that.

Her advice boils down to fake being helpless and act cutesy girly with a high pitched voice while wearing frills, ribbons, and lace so your hubby can feel like a big strong manly man. Basically be completely fake so you can stay married.

How could any woman respect a man who would be taken in and manipulated by that?

If I were a man I'd be highly irritated by a fake, high pitched voice that literally squealed when delighted. 

i find it extremely .... um.... interesting she blames being divorced at 18 with 2 kids on going to college -- And not on the fact she got pregnant the summer of her junior year  (at 16?), married the HS boyfriend, had the baby and then had a 2nd baby right away,  All before she was 18.

What did she expect?  No HS boy I ever knew was ever thinking about becoming  a father/ husband at 16, 17, 18.  They were thinking about having sex.

On the other hand 50s Housewife tells us she was definitely thinking at 15 about having a baby, so I sort of wonder how accidental that pregnancy was.

The last thing I was thinking at 15 was having a baby.  In fact i wasn't thinking about at all.  Never entered my head.

Wow! Reading her femininity post made me feel physically ill. I did spend years losing myself, trying to be the "perfect" wife. The thought that there are women out there still listening to this crap, breaks my heart.

TL;DR

"I made some truly unwise choices and, as a consequence, ended up deeply miserable.

I now wish everyone to be as miserable as myself, so as not to see any other woman have control of her life and finding happiness".

Copy and paste as required to any "I've seen the feminine light" blogger. 

I doubt she's fundie because she says "bitchy" in her bio, and doesn't really mention God. And the fact that she says " I agree with the concept of feminism.  I believe we should have equal opportunities.   It just so happens that I believe that “equal opportunities” includes having the right to choose to live as a wife and mother in a distinctly male-lead household if that is what makes that woman and man happy." Doesn't sound very fundie to me.

She's not a fundie.  She's more like taken-in-hand or domestic discipline. Her post on 50 shades says it all, IMO.  And her 50's style diet = veganism?  Just no.  50's gals were losing weight through low carb diets and cutting animal products was considered losing out on most major protein sources. She's clueless. 

In her cleaning posts she talks about how no one in the 50s had TV, and only listened to the radio.  Which is nuts because the 1950s was the rise in home TV, and the beginning of the end for radio shows.  If no one had TV, then why is she extolling the virtues of The Donna Reed Show and Leave it to Beaver?  No one with a TV means no need for TV shows.

She also says that every 50s mother walked their children to and from school Every. Single. Day. (how they stayed thin).  I have lots of friends who grew up in the 1950s and 1960s who walked to school alone from 1st grade on.  Lots of them rode the school bus.   None of them had moms who walked them to school.

She says that a 50s housewife walked to the butcher's, baker's, candlestick makers to do her shopping.  Ummm ... supermarkets were big in the 1950s  (A&P anyone) and mom and pop stores were on the way out.  I guess she also completely forgot about the rise of the suburbs in the late 1940s - 1950s which were residential only and away from stores.

This woman has created a 1950s world that never existed, while telling us that's how we should live in 2017.

I think it's her advocacy of the fake high-pitched girly girly voice that literally squeals with excitement that drives me up the wall / makes me cringe the most.

Full disclosure here -- I say this as someone who has a naturally somewhat higher pitched, soft, kind of girly voice (with a southern accent) that has me often mistaken for younger than I am on the phone.

I do not, however, squeal with delight when excited.  Because that's just ridiculous in anyone who is not a 10 yr old girl at a One Dimension concert.

I guess, to me, the important thing about a laugh, or any other form of expressing an emotion, is that it should be authentic. If someone's natural response to excitement is a squeal, at least it's genuine. Just like some of us may occasionally snort with laughter. :my_blush: But faking a stereotypically "feminine" response just seems so wrong to me. 

Kendra Duggar's giggle caused some discussion in her thread and one poster (forget who) defended being a non-teenager who naturally giggles. It got me thinking. I guess I hope that people can express themselves in ways that are authentic and natural for them.  If Kendra giggles because it's socially expected of her, that seems sad. If it's just her natural response, cool. (It could still be annoying, I guess. I haven't heard her giggle.) Same idea here. If I get super excited and squeal a bit (not sure I ever do, just hypothetical) that's natural. If I fake it so that my husband feels all strong and manly, yuck. :puke-huge:

3 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I do not, however, squeal with delight when excited.  Because that's just ridiculous in anyone who is not a 10 yr old girl at a One Dimension concert.

Is that a Freudian slip there?

Maybe you meant One Direction? Never mind, I like your version better.:dance:

So not up on the boy bands tweens love    :)

Yes,  One Direction it is -- although perhaps they are also one dimensional  :GPn0zNK:

On 9/20/2017 at 10:51 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I only read a little bit of her blog, but her advice looks about as relevant to my life as the advice in my 1950 (reproduction) Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook.

Hide contents

I included 3 shots of the same page, because I kept getting a glare.20170920_204622.thumb.jpg.e86d7165c9bab3159c2c432af7fa4301.jpg20170920_204533.thumb.jpg.01579dcffbfe04e60b5bf231f3bdc6d6.jpg20170920_204551.thumb.jpg.3bb2776b898bbc88f7c79f9e3477fef3.jpg

Yep. Both equally helpful.:pb_rollseyes:

Well, at least these are things you can do to make yourself feel better rather than only things to make hubby's life easier, so there's that.

One Dimension-the love child of Marilyn McCoo and Harry Styles?

On 9/20/2017 at 7:54 PM, mango_fandango said:

This is misogynistic bullshit. I can *vaguely* see that bombarding your husband with all your problems the second he comes through the door is probably not the greatest idea, but 20 minutes uninterrupted chill time? Nah. She compared work to a "war zone". Work is stressful, yeah, but calling it a "war zone" is majorly OTT!!

Its misandryist too. Men are so weak they can't handle working a 9 to 5 without it feeling like Iwo Jima.

Archived