IGNORED

The Miller Family: The Rolling Pertussis-Mobile

JermajestyDuggar

After seven years of traveling around the country the Millers are finally moving to a permanent home? 

I really hope they made this decision because of all the criticism they received for traveling around unvaxxed and spreading their illness all over. Their baby almost died because of the choices they made. I hope they are feeling the extreme guilt they do deserve. 

I know they are still in denial on fb, but having your baby on deaths door is literally the ONLY thing that makes these antivax nuts wake up. I think a very small part of the parents are questioning their antivax decision but won't publicly admit it. 

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

Ah, but there is far, far more evidence - dare I say proof - that whooping cough is dangerous.  Especially for little children.

Even after going through this ordeal - an ordeal that simply would not have happened had the children been vaccinated - they have to make up bullshit to justify their past and future stupidity.

Why I Hate Fundies -  Reason 397.

• Upvote 40

Just now, JenniferJuniper said:

Ah, but there is far, far more evidence - dare I say proof - that whooping cough is dangerous.  Especially for little children.

Even after going through this ordeal - an ordeal that simply would not have happened had the children been vaccinated - they have to make up bullshit to justify their past and future stupidity.

Why I Hate Fundies -  Reason 397.

It seems that Paul is the one talking most about this on FB and it makes me wonder if Abigail is having second thoughts. She's the one that had to take the baby to the hospital, watch him life flighted, and almost die while Paul was out camping with sick kids at home. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 1

Paul miller is at some kind of teen rally. I really really hope he's not contagious.

This is how outbreaks happen - some family decides it's not serious and doesn't quarantine themselves. Who knew how many people they've infected.

• Upvote 21
  • Love 1

Paul and Abigail Miller's anti-vax beliefs got their children pertussis. But don't worry, they treated with essential oils, which totally works, guys. Right up until one of their young sons had to be life-flighted to a hospital with the capabilities to care for him while Paul was out doing wilderness man things and Abigail was left to care for all of the contagious children alone. Now, they roll along doing their ministry in the Pertussis-Mobile (shout out to @Coy Koi!) exposing other families but only for short periods of time because their children rush off the stage and back into RV quarantine right after they're done singing. Very un-contagious, you know. 

Evangelist Paul Miller: http://evangelistpaulmiller.com/category/conservative-christian-music-abigail-miller/

Abigail Miller Ministries: http://abigailmiller.com/

Abigail Miller Ministries FB: https://www.facebook.com/abigailmillerministries/?pnref=lhc

• Upvote 15

These people make me so angry! Jill Rodrigues definitely is getting a run for her money with this crew. Treating pertussis with essential oils my ass! 

• Upvote 12

I would absolutely love to know how many people they infected with pertussis. From their reports on Facebook, the family had it for at least a few weeks before the baby got it and was life flighted. They spoke of singing and having a coughing fit in the middle of it. So they were singing and coughing all over parishioners. 

I wonder how often this type of thing happens with traveling singing fundies. It's a perfect storm. They are more likely to be unvaxxed and around other children that are unvaxxed. They travel in a cramped RV spreading their illness to everyone. They come in close contact while fellowshipping and spread it from state to state. 

I bet this has happened to a traveling fundie family before but probably on a smaller scale. 

• Upvote 14

Does anyone know what the deal is with essential oils? I have a few friends who have been shilling doterra oils on Facebook. At first I thought it was rather innocent since I've been seeing diffusers for sale in a lot of places - make your home smell nice and maybe use a calming scent at the same time. Now many of the posts are increasingly nutty: sick child? Use this combo of oils in the diffusers and they'll get better! Diaper rash?: Use this combo and the rash goes away. Another friend, who I've known for years and has always been normal, has started to go anti-vaxx since selling doterra. It's very bizarre and almost seems like a cult. 

• Upvote 14

14 minutes ago, ThunderRolls said:

Does anyone know what the deal is with essential oils? I have a few friends who have been shilling doterra oils on Facebook. At first I thought it was rather innocent since I've been seeing diffusers for sale in a lot of places - make your home smell nice and maybe use a calming scent at the same time. Now many of the posts are increasingly nutty: sick child? Use this combo of oils in the diffusers and they'll get better! Diaper rash?: Use this combo and the rash goes away. Another friend, who I've known for years and has always been normal, has started to go anti-vaxx since selling doterra. It's very bizarre and almost seems like a cult. 

It is. And it's very popular amongst fundies because 1) MLMs are one of the very few ways fundie wives are allowed to make money and 2) many fundies don't have insurance or only have scamerican so they treat themselves with essential oils because it's less expensive than going to the doctor without insurance. 

• Upvote 9

@JermajestyDuggar - In some ways I can kind of understand why fundie wives and mothers go the MLM route since they have so few options available to them regarding education and work. What has been really flooring me, however, are "normal" every day folks who are educated, have jobs, and insurance. I really don't understand it. These people are scared to vaccinate their kids (because autism)  but are OK with feeding them drops of essential oils - I'm honestly appalled. 

• Upvote 15

If I didn't believe in modern medicine I would use oldfashioned ways like warm oil rubs or chicken soup. (Not that any of these would help with pertussis). But why buy these oils? Why not stick with herbs or other parts of plants? Or do they use the magic oils for things like pertussis, cancer, ... where no sensible grandmother would come up with a tea/rub/soup/wrap?

• Upvote 11

I don't mind essential oils to go in the diffusers that change colors and make the whole room colorful and smell nice. I also think they have a purpose for some colds and other ailments. But other than that, I don't see much of a value in them. Lemon oil is just a higher concentrate of lemon, ditto lavender and the other oils or fruits they come from. I'd rather just go for the actual plants than the oils in that case. 

• Upvote 13

23 minutes ago, ThunderRolls said:

@JermajestyDuggar - In some ways I can kind of understand why fundie wives and mothers go the MLM route since they have so few options available to them regarding education and work. What has been really flooring me, however, are "normal" every day folks who are educated, have jobs, and insurance. I really don't understand it. These people are scared to vaccinate their kids (because autism)  but are OK with feeding them drops of essential oils - I'm honestly appalled. 

I really think it's the huge counter culture shift where people don't trust the government or big pharma and it's really catching on amongst the fundie mentality. 

• Upvote 17

Did I read right in that post from the 14th that "Don't worry, Abigail will still continue her music ministry" right after discussing how their son was life flighted and how they toured around hacking?!?!?!? Fuck them.  Really, Fuck them.  My daughter is the same age as their son.  She's getting her second set of shots this week.  She has a cough from some daycare crap she caught.  I feel bad hearing her little cough and she's NOT dying of pertussis.  They used to call it the 100 day cough.  I've seen babies with pertussis, their whole body shakes from coughing.  Adults can break ribs and pull muscles and continually pee themselves from coughing fits.  I'm betting that we could find out if they caused an outbreak if we look at the state health website in a month or so and see if there were more cases.  

Edited by JMO
  • Upvote 27

My conspiracy theorist neighbour is also heavily into essential oils. He got quite offended when a friend suffering from skin cancer went ahead and had surgery instead of watching his 10 hour(!) video of how it could be cured with diet and essential oils....

He treated himself for some ailment by ingesting frankincense - he ended up in hospital. The frankincense made him REALLY ill.

But his cucumber/ apple/celery juice is very nice - he brings it me whenever I'm unwell. Not sure it does any good, but it tastes lovely!

Edited by sawasdee
  • Upvote 17

I'm surprised at least some of them haven't jumped on the "Pot cures EVERYTHING!!1!1"  bandwagon.

I never had kids myself, but even if there was a smidgen of a chance that vaccines caused autism, I would accept that risk rather than having my child be permanently impaired or dead from a preventable disease.(And as the granddaughter of a polio survivor, I own up to being biased.)

• Upvote 20

37 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

But his cucumber/ apple/celery juice is really nice - he brings it me whenever I'm unwell. Not sure it does any good, but it tastes lovely!

Like I'm totally okay with people having weird alternative health/superstitious remedies for low level colds and such. People have had them for ages. But that doesn't mean you ignore modern medicine, especially for things like cancer. I read somewhere that Steve Jobs belief in alternative medicine may have actually been responsible for his death as he didn't get proper medical treatment until much later into his cancer.

36 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I'm surprised at least some of them haven't jumped on the "Pot cures EVERYTHING!!1!1"  bandwagon.

I know right! It certainly makes you feel better. :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 10

I got the pertussis vaccine as a baby and then found out about 8 years ago that the vaccine doesn't last forever when I got whooping cough.

I went to the Dr with what I though was bronchitis, only to learn I was part of the then whooping cough outbreak. There was nothing they could give me to cure it -- just mega strength cough syrup, and told to rest and drink fluids.

But I was strongly advised, actually almost forbidden, to come into contact with babies, small children or the parent of either.  I was also told to tell everyone I'd had close contact with prior to my diagnosis about the whooping cough.

I caught it from my boss who brought it to work swearing up and down he was having a weird allergic reaction to some meds.

Weeks after I was well (and whooping cough lasts for several weeks), he finally admitted he might, maybe, possibly have had whooping cough, but still didn't think so.

• Upvote 16

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I got the pertussis vaccine as a baby and then found out about 8 years ago that the vaccine doesn't last forever when I got whooping cough.

There was an outbreak in my town for this reason. Someone caught it during spring break and it spread through the school rapidly, even among people who had been vaccinated because as you state it doesn't always last for some individuals. 

• Upvote 1

Pertussis isn't a joke. Like someone else said, it's not a low level cold that you can put Vick's Vapour Rub on your chest and call it a day. It's serious, that is why there is a vaccine for it. 

I hate anti-vaxxers. I really, really do. My Mom is hard of hearing due to her mother having german measles during her pregnancy. That's the type of thing that will come back with unvaccinated kids. We are not so far removed from the days of polio, measles, and pertussis that there aren't people who remember what it was like to have that many kids sick from it. 

• Upvote 19

Argh. One of my daughters had a bad reaction to her first pertussis shot as a baby. A few people are very allergic to that vaccine. So the next two rounds she just got DT instead of DPT. When she was in nursing school they were practicing giving each other shots and she decided to try a pertussis booster--off to the ER she went with an anaphylactic reaction, and they said the treatment she got probably negated the vaccine as well as keeping her alive.

Fast-forward a few years and she gets whooping cough, is sick for two months, probably exposes some vulnerable people at work before she had a diagnosis. This is a high anti-vax area, with a combination of fundies and high-anxiety healthy-living millennial types. I am furious at every one of them for not helping protect the people who truly can't tolerate the vaccine.

Edited by older than allosaurs
because I actually do speak English pretty well
  • Upvote 30

My mom had polio as a child.  It was so bad that there was an iron lung sitting in the hallway outside her room.  But she recovered, so they thought.  Many years later she had unexplained weakness in her arm, and pain in the elbow of that arm.  She had to give up bowling (She was good, too.  She had a whole room of trophys she'd won.  She could have tried for the pro circuit, but didn't want to compete at that level.)  Still, she's grateful that the one arm is the only thing affected.  There are people all over the planet who thought they'd recoverd from polio and are now dealing with late-onset secondary disorders.

Still, she delayed getting us kids vaccinated until we were in school, when the school district would line us up and give us our shots for $5.  But when all of us kids got chicken pox and my baby sister got mumps at the same time, well, that shook Mom up.  No more waiting for the cheap shots from the school, she had us at the clinic getting them as soon as possible.

My mom is now on the bandwagon of "If there's a vaccine for it, get it".  

You'd think I'd have gotten every vaccine for my kids as possible.  But I didn't trust the chickenpox vaccine.  I didn't study it and went by the things I'd heard about how it wasn't a lifetime vaccine and worried that my kids would get chickenpox as adults and then have the problems that some adults get, so I didn't get them the vaccine and they all got chicken pox.  I wish I'd really looked into it, but I didn't, so I was shocked when one of my kids got shingles when she was in high school.  I apologize to my kids every time vaccines are brought up, and beg them to do their research, talk to their doctors, and don't make their kids get a disease that a shot could prevent.

• Upvote 15

Gosh golly.....it's not like ANTIBIOTICS early in the Disease process won't obliterate the disease entirely and thereby prevent the convalescent stage at all.

Nope, modern medicine has definitely found NOTHING to help this disease.

Just, you know, vaccines AND antibiotics....oh and a highly accurate test to identify it, and immunoglobulin treatments to specifically target.....and all of nifty options when you ignore all of the EASY treatment options and wait until your kid is in respiratory distress before seeking help.

• Upvote 14

I went to the Dr with what I though was bronchitis, only to learn I was part of the then whooping cough outbreak. There was nothing they could give me to cure it -- just mega strength cough syrup, and told to rest and drink fluids.
But I was strongly advised, actually almost forbidden, to come into contact with babies, small children or the parent of either.  I was also told to tell everyone I'd had close contact with prior to my diagnosis about the whooping cough.
I caught it from my boss who brought it to work swearing up and down he was having a weird allergic reaction to some meds.
Weeks after I was well (and whooping cough lasts for several weeks), he finally admitted he might, maybe, possibly have had whooping cough, but still didn't think so.

I had a booster last year for that reason. I didn't want to take it, and my doctor said, "do you WANT to get whooping cough?" and I took the damn shot.

It's because of people like this (including some in my own family) that we're losing herd immunity, and these diseases are coming back.

I just recently suggested to my newly adult cousin that she should read up on vaccines and consider getting them now. Especially the Gardisil vaccine. Her older brother did end up getting everything when he got his own insurance. I hope she does the same.

We can only hope for the kids' sake that the Millers learn from this. God gave us brilliant people who created these vaccines. We need to use them.
  • Upvote 10

Ugh. That picture of the sick baby...I've got my kiddo (two and a half months) and I'm just muttering "thank you for the shot. Thank you for the shot." Over and over again. 

My half sister is antivaxx, and we've agreed to not talk about it. Right up until I got pregnant. Then my dad suddenly decides to DRIVE from Colorado to Texas for the birth. I was kind of happy--his health is bad and I wanted to make sure he got to see his granddaughter, but I wasn't happy about him driving because of how bad his health is--until I found out that my sister had talked him into going to try to stop me from getting the kid the Hep B shot at birth. Because a friend of a friend's baby gor it and got sick and died and medicalkidnap stories...yeah. She got the shot (and the vitamin K shot, and anything else the pediatrician said we should do), and I pitched a big enough fit over how insulted I felt that Dad didn't bring it up when he made it to Texas. I try to keep my head down and not offend my relatives, but I was PISSED.

I did have a bad reaction to the DPT shot as a kid. I know vaccines aren't perfect...but I'm not arrogant enough to think I can control reality well enough to keep her from getting dangerously sick. The risk vaccines pose are tiny compared to the risks of the diseases they prevent. 

Anti vaxx, IMHO, is a cult. 

• Upvote 19
  • Love 1