IGNORED

The Miller Family: The Rolling Pertussis-Mobile

JermajestyDuggar

When my youngest was a teen, there was a small swarm of whooping cough cases in the high school.  There were also a few cases in several of the grade schools and one of the junior highs.  The Health Department tracked down the outbreak to a single family of several unvaccinated children.  They were exposed over Spring Break when their mother took them to another state to help her take care of her sister's kids because they all had whooping cough!

The kids from that family all got pretty sick, two of the youngest ones had to be hospitalized.  In all of the grade schools and the junior high, the only kids that got sick were unvaccinated.  But of the kids at the high school, all of the kids (except for the one from the anti-vax family) got vaccinated locally and were all given their last shots from the same clinic and all were given shots from the same batch.  It's thought that that batch wasn't strong enough or had lost it's vitality through mishandling.  Anyway, those kids got mild cases.  One of them was interviewed by our local paper and said that if what she'd had was mild, she couldn't imagine how horrible a full fledged case must be.

• Upvote 25
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Flossie said:

When my youngest was a teen, there was a small swarm of whooping cough cases in the high school.  There were also a few cases in several of the grade schools and one of the junior highs.  The Health Department tracked down the outbreak to a single family of several unvaccinated children.  

SNIP

A few houses down from us is a family with 10 kids - unvaccinated. While they're homeschooled except for the oldest (he goes to a private school), I get nervous for when my daughter gets older and inevitably wants to play with those kids - maybe I'm paranoid, but it seems like outbreaks of illnesses usually start like that (from a family or a smaller community which may not be aware of all the vaccines they can receive - such as what happened with the measles outbreak in the Twin Cities). 

• Upvote 16

4 hours ago, EyesOpen said:

looked at my sons' vaccination schedule in michigan and I don't see chicken pox as a normal course.

Are you sure? It is the Varicella vaccine. It is a routine across the country.

3 hours ago, Flossie said:

<snipped> Anyway, those kids got mild cases.  One of them was interviewed by our local paper and said that if what she'd had was mild, she couldn't imagine how horrible a full fledged case must be.

This my argument against dumb anti-vax peeps about well you can still get it. Well if you do, it most likely won't kill you because it will be milder. (fyi - people that can't have vaccines because of medical reasons I don't classify as anti-vax)

Question for anyone- these pro-herbal and essential oil people. Would they use essential oils to treat/fix anaphylaxis? Epinephrine is a drug.

• Upvote 18

@ChickenettiLuvr

I had that with my first, luckily my doctor put me on a prescription. I lost 10 pounds between week 4and 8.  I still gagged every time I brushed my teeth though. 

@EyesOpen depending on where you live, chickenpox can be a voluntary vaccine.  I remember having chicken pox when I was little, and I made damn sure my kids got vaccinated. I think it was around the 1year old well visit. 

I know a Morman woman who had five kids (10 and under at the time), who fit into the category of thinking she was smarter than the doctors, and made up her own vaccine schedule, which didn't  include chickenpox. One of her kids came home with chickenpox. Long story short, her life was hell for an entire month. Did I mention Morman? No wine, beer, or coffee. Oh, and her husband never had it, so being the sole provider, moved out for the duration. One of the neighbors called the cops on him as a peeping tom, as he would come to the house in the evening and talk to his kids through the bedroom window.  She did an about-face on vaccines. 

• Upvote 39
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Are you sure? It is the Varicella vaccine. It is a routine across the country.

This my argument against dumb anti-vax peeps about well you can still get it. Well if you do, it most likely won't kill you because it will be milder. (fyi - people that can't have vaccines because of medical reasons I don't classify as anti-vax)

Question for anyone- these pro-herbal and essential oil people. Would they use essential oils to treat/fix anaphylaxis? Epinephrine is a drug.

Oops. That one is on there. Apparently I didn't know the medical name for chicken pox!! I just tell the doctors that I want all the recommended vaccinations so I had never thought to ask!

• Upvote 11

I hadn't looked at the Millers page until now. How ironic that most of their stuff is anti vax, and now prayers for a baby with a vaccine preventable disease. 

She is right the doctors can't do anything, in the sense they can't give something to make him well. But they can 1. Test to know for sure what they are dealing with. If it's croup or bronchitis they can test that. 2. Give antibiotics to help reduce the risk of spreading to other family members. 3. Give oxygen and other breathing support and fluids. The friend I mentioned previously said she was told infants almost always are admitted. 

If I remember the vaccine schedule correctly, the baby wouldn't have been vaccinated yet anyway, but if the older children had been it would have protected the little guy. Also if they had treated the older kids with antibiotics it also would have lessened the likelihood of the baby getting it, and if they could have treated the baby with antibiotics as soon as he showed the cold symptoms and possibly reduced the severity of the cough. 

I'm curious to see what happens. If he gets better shortly it almost definitely was actually pertussis. Though they'll claim one of their magic potions fixed him. 

Edited by Anonymousguest
  • Upvote 17
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Yogi said:

The Miller's have taken their son to the hospital. They reported that they went to the ER. I wonder what that bill will be like. Don't they have Samaritan?

Oh thank God.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 1

I'm so glad they took him! Hopefully the hospital can give him some breathing treatments to help him feel a little more comfortable. 

About the Zofran. I knew about the recent heart defect link. However I did take it with both pregnancies the entire time and both children have normal hearts. I know Mom guilt is strong in most mom's no matter what but no one should feel guilty since we didn't know. So many people have taken Zofran and their kids didn't have heart defects. And HG is no joke. It's debilitating. 

• Upvote 13
  • Love 1

I wonder if they ever thought about notifying all those churches they have seen during the time their family was infected and letting them know that they've been exposed to pertussis. That would be the responsible thing to do but I somehow doubt they even understand the risk that they posed.

• Upvote 23
  • Love 1

The Millers have said that the baby has to be flown to the hospital in Salt Lake City.  I was so scared, with each of my babies, that they would get Pertussis before they were old enough to get a vaccine.  The videos I've seen of babies struggling to breathe are terrible.  The fact that the ER is flying him to a bigger ER says to me that it's very, very bad.  It's hard for me to imagine willingly putting your baby in that situation because your faith in essential oils demands that you ignore science.

• Upvote 43
  • Love 1

Oops. Read comments hoping someone would mention getting vaccinated or that essential oils aren't going to cure a baby extremely ill with a preventable disease but instead I read 'don't let them talk you in to vaccines' and 'colloidal silver through a nebulizer will help'?? My heart breaks. 

• Upvote 29
  • Love 1

I hope the hospital staff give those "parents" a solid talking to, with no allowance for interruption.  Could they call CPS under these circumstances?

• Upvote 28
  • Love 1

Poor baby, sick with an entirely preventable disease. He could have had his first DTaP at a 2-month well -baby check, which wouldn't have fully protected him but would have been a start. Except that he never even would have been exposed had his siblings been vaccinated--well before he was even born. This just infuriates me. If he dies,  the parents will have no one to blame but themselves.  Oh, and satan.

Edited by VanillaBean
Posted before done
  • Upvote 22
  • Love 1

Well, it must have gotten really bad for baby Joel for his idiot parents to take him to see actual medical professionals. Somehow I'm doubtful that it is because they're so concerned about his welfare and more concerned about their own and how this looks to others. At least he's at the hospital, but it's just disgusting that in this day and age people are rejecting life-saving vaccines because they think they know more than the doctors. The arrogance is absolutely astounding. I understand being an advocate for your own health, but just because you went to a Bible college, does not mean you know more about medicine than a medical doctor. No amount of internet articles from self-published "researchers" is going to make you know more than an actual MD. Seeing this little baby needlessly suffering, yet being dependent on his dumb ass parents, just makes my blood boil. 

• Upvote 40
  • Love 1

40 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I hope the hospital staff give those "parents" a solid talking to, with no allowance for interruption.  Could they call CPS under these circumstances?

Probably depends on state law (and I'm not a degreed law professional) but I would guess yes, failure to provide appropriate medical care could warrant CPS investigation. I hate to say it but I suspect that if he fully recovers they'll just get a stern talking to and they'll only call CPS if he dies or has permanent damage.

• Upvote 11

2 minutes ago, EyesOpen said:

Oops. Read comments hoping someone would mention getting vaccinated or that essential oils aren't going to cure a baby extremely ill with a preventable disease but instead I read 'don't let them talk you in to vaccines' and 'colloidal silver through a nebulizer will help'?? My heart breaks. 

Also yesterday, the Millers themselves commented that "the doctor can't do anything anyway," and so the fact that they took him to the ER today tells me that it was really, really bad.

• Upvote 28
  • Love 1