IGNORED

Josh, Anna and the Ms 15: now with Mason

laPapessaGiovanna

22 hours ago, FluffySnowball said:

Sorry for the maybe silly question but... when a woman in labor is hungry, why can't she eat something? Wouldn't it be fine to eat as long as you feel like it? 

That's an American thing. Just like suctioning, epidural (rates), nurseries, eye ointment, jinder reveal parties, circumcision, babyshowers and obstetricians attending low-risk births. 

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/1/2017 at 2:05 PM, FluffySnowball said:

Sorry for the maybe silly question but... when a woman in labor is hungry, why can't she eat something? Wouldn't it be fine to eat as long as you feel like it? 

Regarding the man eating during labor, I was on an IV so I didn't feel hungry, but when my husband got hungry, he left to eat in the hospital cafeteria.

I remember one woman long ago who told me that while she was in labor her husband had a bag of snacks that he had with him to bolster his strength during the labor.  At first he'd pop a snack into his mouth every 20 minutes or so, but as her labor progressed and things got really intense, he started popping those snacks in one after another.  I don't remember what she said they were, but they were really pungent, like onion rings, but bite sized, and I think they were heavy on garlic instead of onion.  

Anyway, as she was trying to push, her husband kept leaning right over her and urging her to "Push, honey, push!"  Pop in another snack.  "Push, honey, push!"  

His bad breath was turning her stomach, but she only had so much energy to expend, so she ignored him as much as possible until she delivered the baby.  As the doctor laid the baby on her stomach her husband leaned over to give her a kiss.  She put up her hand and told him to please get rid of the snacks and rinse out his mouth before she threw up on all of them.

16 hours ago, cascarones said:

It really depends place to place with the food, my first OB was in Texas at a practice that will not even consider a VBAC after C-section and once you check in there is no food, you're put in the hospital bed and strapped into monitors until birth. My second OB and midwives in WA would have used wireless monitoring with regular fetal checks while encouraging you to move about and do whatever is the most comfortable until it's push time. Same pregnancy, same insurance plan, just different underlying approaches to the process.

Unfortunately, all of my deliveries were like that, even though my last two deliveries were VBAC.  Well, I can't complain too much, because I had three healthy babies, but I do wonder what it would have been like to have that water birth I wanted.  (I found out later that the water birth option my hospital advertised never actually resulted in any water births.  The hospital did get a big hot tub, but they always managed to find a way to keep women out of them because the staff was uncomfortable with water deliveries and it was more fun for the staff to use the tub for relaxation after a shift.  Found that out from a cousin of my husband who spent two years on the maternity ward of that same hospital.)

I packed snacks for my husband and we stopped at Taco Bell on the way to the hospital so we both could eat something before we checked in (the hospital told us too because they said we couldnt eat once we were there).  We checked in around 8 pm and Mr. Little was born at 3 AM.  I dont think I would have been mad if he ate but I definitely would have been upset if he was asleep when I was up.  I am still mad that he sat on his ass on the "daddy bed" while they gave me the epidural instead of standing by me.

On 20.9.2017 at 6:30 PM, Fluffy14 said:

I spent some time looking online but can't find the clip. 

I distinctly remember a scene with Anna in her bedroom making her bed or something. She mentioned babies and what not. They she patted Josh'so side of the bed and said when he turns down the sheet earlier than bed time it is an indication or signal he wants sex that night.

I remember it so well because 

A. I WAS EMBARRASSED that she would reveal something so private. 

B. I was embarrassed that she would reveal something so intimate about their sex life, that was so condescending thinking it was normal.

C. Embarrassed that he was in charge of initian,  and it seemed that she had no control over her own needs being met.

Do.  I was left wondering where in the world Josh got such a cold , robotic attitude towards intimacy.

And sadly after the scandal came out the realization that bedding Anna was a function only probably to relieve her hinting about sex. It made her nudging and hint hint, towards sex on their talking head clip during their road trip painfully real. 

E.  IT EXPOSED josh's lack lustre response to Anna's pregnancy reveal when she wakes up Josh and piles the kids on bed on top of him.

I watched that episode. (Apparently, JB's sign for wanting sex is saying "Hey hey hey" :pb_rollseyes:) But I do not remember Anna saying anything about bed sheets. Are you sure? 

I also do not remember Michael putting too much soap into the dish washer in any episode. And definitely not Anna getting upset about it. She is usually really patient with her kids. It would be out of character for her.

I just feel like I want to make sure that these things actually happened. (And they might have, maybe I am just not remembering them?) Because things like these tend to take on a life of their own if not questioned early on. Then all the sudden, everybody seems to remember them. :pb_smile:

Again, I might be wrong, just wanting to make sure.

In Germany, you are allowed to eat during labour in the hospital. I just had a child four months ago. I ate (and did not have to throw up). 

19 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

That's an American thing. Just like suctioning, epidural (rates), nurseries, eye ointment, jinder reveal parties, circumcision, babyshowers and obstetricians attending low-risk births. 

If by american you mean evidence based practice then sure.  But hey don't do those things and enjoy the potentially fatal chemical pneumonitis you might get.  

17 minutes ago, Incognito22 said:

If by american you mean evidence based practice then sure.  But hey don't do those things and enjoy the potentially fatal chemical pneumonitis you might get.  

Well, Britain use evidence practice as well, and our evidence supports not suctioning the baby's airways.  

But maybe we are wrong. Britain has such high infant mortality rates, babies just drop dead all around you, quite horrific really. Maybe they are simply not capable of surviving without having their airways sucked. 

1 minute ago, SorenaJ said:

Well, Britain use evidence practice as well, and our evidence supports not suctioning the baby's airways.  

But maybe we are wrong. Britain has such high infant mortality rates, babies just drop dead all around you, quite horrific really. Maybe they are simply not capable of surviving without having their airways sucked. 

Why are you so bothered by some things being done differently in America, like suctioning, nurseries, and eye ointment? Like if you want to have a conversation about c-section rates or circumcision, fine (though they are on the dreaded topics of doom list, fair warning), but you're just coming off as petty and weirdly insecure for no reason .

Also, hate to break it to you, but plenty of non-American countries circumcise boys. Israel and Saudi Arabia come to mind. Might want to learn a little about world religions...

And baby showers and gender (don't even understand the "jinder" spelling on your part) reveals are just cultural differences. 

Seriously, what the fuck is your problem?

9 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Why are you so bothered by some things being done differently in America, like suctioning, nurseries, and eye ointment? Like if you want to have a conversation about c-section rates or circumcision, fine (though they are on the dreaded topics of doom list, fair warning), but you're just coming off as petty and weirdly insecure for no reason .

Also, hate to break it to you, but plenty of non-American countries circumcise boys. Israel and Saudi Arabia come to mind. Might want to learn a little about world religions...

And baby showers and gender (don't even understand the "jinder" spelling on your part) reveals are just cultural differences. 

Seriously, what the fuck is your problem?

The fuck is your problem? Did I say uniquely American at any point? No. So stop breaking things to me that I am perfectly well aware about. I know lots of other countries circumcise boys, hardly makes it any better. 

I won't say I'm bothered, more strangely fascinated and occasionally puzzled.  

jinder = a reference to the Duggars not understanding sex vs gender, the j because of Duggars' J kids, the i is the how they pronounce e. Just a Duggar joke, really. 

And surely I'm allowed to disagree with cultural differences? There are cultural things in my country (not the same as my country of birth) that I think are rubbish as well. 

4 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

The fuck is your problem? Did I say uniquely American at any point? No.

Actually, yes.  Yes, you did.

19 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

Cool off, and why not discuss cultural differences politely?  It is much better than making sweeping statements and insulting the cultural norms of fellow posters.  Unless you are spoiling for a fight on the internet, that is.

I mentally hover somewhere in the mid Atlantic so I hear this stuff from both sides.  It gets wearing when Americans declare the NHS is rationing medical care.  It gets equally wearing when my UK medical relations inform me that drugs commonly used in the US are not approved for use in the UK.

I hear that wedding and baby showers are starting to catch on in some circles in the UK, to my horror.  For the record, I have never been to a gender reveal party either side of the pond.  I thought gender reveals were a Duggar or Fundie thing, to be honest. ;)

I'm in Canada, I've seen gender reveal pictures, done for likes on Facebook. I haven't seen a full blown party yet. 

2 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Cool off, and why not discuss cultural differences politely?

Only after you recognise that we Italians do it (what are we talking about?) bestest of eeeeverybody evah :playful2:

Gender reveal events appear to be a Millennial thing.  :my_biggrin:

It seems like fake excitement to me.  There are - more or less - only two options.  If there were four or five, it might be interesting, but not one or the other.

Maybe it's just an excuse for a party?

Just now, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Only after you recognise that we Italians do it (what are we talking about?) bestest of eeeeverybody evah :playful2:

If we are talking about food - YES! 

But you Italians are too damn emotional.  It scares uptight emotionless Brits like me.:playful2:

42 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

Yeah, life's too short to entertain people who want to pick fights for the sake of picking them.  Moving on.

9 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

If we are talking about food - YES! 

But you Italians are too damn emotional.  It scares uptight emotionless Brits like me.:playful2:

Just theatrics so you uptight people get all embarrassed and we get to do what we want :my_biggrin:

Signed the girl who at 12yo was told she must have English blood cos was waiting peacefully for her turn during PE lessons :pb_lol:

23 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

Actually, yes.  Yes, you did.

Cool off, and why not discuss cultural differences politely?  It is much better than making sweeping statements and insulting the cultural norms of fellow posters.  Unless you are spoiling for a fight on the internet, that is.

I mentally hover somewhere in the mid Atlantic so I hear this stuff from both sides.  It gets wearing when Americans declare the NHS is rationing medical care.  It gets equally wearing when my UK medical relations inform me that drugs commonly used in the US are not approved for use in the UK.

I hear that wedding and baby showers are starting to catch on in some circles in the UK, to my horror.  For the record, I have never been to a gender reveal party either side of the pond.  I thought gender reveals were a Duggar or Fundie thing, to be honest. ;)

I did? For real? Sorry mate. 

I suppose. A pastime in lots of Europe is making fun of Americans and being anti-American, which might not work out with actual Americans.  

I have seen lots of gender reveal parties on youtube, and I'm always like what the heck? Surely not? I hope it's just a fundie thing tbh. 

4 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

Just theatrics so you uptight people get all embarrassed and we get to do what we want :my_biggrin:

Signed the girl who at 12yo was told she must have English blood cos was waiting peacefully for her turn during PE lessons :pb_lol:

The first time I met an Italian they hugged me really tight, and they were a complete stranger. I was what is going on?? I didn't move at all. 

32 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

The fuck is your problem? Did I say uniquely American at any point? No. So stop breaking things to me that I am perfectly well aware about. I know lots of other countries circumcise boys, hardly makes it any better. 

And surely I'm allowed to disagree with cultural differences? There are cultural things in my country (not the same as my country of birth) that I think are rubbish as well. 

Well, you said (and I quote), "It's an American thing." Which implies you weren't aware of circumcision rates being much higher in other countries or that there are major world religions in which it is a requirement of males. And I still don't understand why you give such a shit that another country has a tradition of throwing a party for expectant mothers.

I just read through your past posts and realized you're the same poster who doesn't like atheists because of two teenagers you knew in high school who were slightly obnoxious about their beliefs. 

Keep entertaining yourself with your pastime of generalizing large swathes of people and acting shocked when members of those groups point out that you come off as ignorant and lacking in critical reasoning skills.

46 minutes ago, JenniferJuniper said:

Gender reveal events appear to be a Millennial thing.  :my_biggrin:

It seems like fake excitement to me.  There are - more or less - only two options.  If there were four or five, it might be interesting, but not one or the other.

Maybe it's just an excuse for a party?

Millennial here. We didn't have one and we aren't close with anyone who did. Most we did was text a photo of our dog with a chalkboard proclaiming "Its a girl!" to our families. That was it though. 

There are people who will take offense to even doing that. Or simply finding out the sex before the birth. Doesn't matter what country you're from, someone somewhere will tell you you're obviously doing it all wrong. :pb_rollseyes:

22 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Well, you said (and I quote), "It's an American thing." Which implies you weren't aware of circumcision rates being much higher in other countries or that there are major world religions in which it is a requirement of males. And I still don't understand why you give such a shit that another country has a tradition of throwing a party for expectant mothers.

I just read through your past posts and realized you're the same poster who doesn't like atheists because of two teenagers you knew in high school who were slightly obnoxious about their beliefs. 

Keep entertaining yourself with your pastime of generalizing large swathes of people and acting shocked when members of those groups point out that you come off as ignorant and lacking in critical reasoning skills.

Okay, let me rephrase: I prematurely judge atheists, because I have never met a non-obnoxious atheist. My sample is quite small admittedly, but you know, people are flawed and judge people prematurely.  

So I didn't really. Circumcision is certainly an American thing, the rates are much higher than in many other countries and the world average. It is an American thing, but also a Saudi Arabian/Israeli thing. I was for certain aware that rates are higher in other countries, but Idk somehow their religion explains it. Not justifies, but explains. 

And I don't understand that people give a shit about rugby or football (both soccer and American), but there's that. Each to their own. 

Just here to throw in a reminder that the current trend in post partum care is to get rid of the nursery.  It's actually causing a backlash from moms (or mums if you prefer) that want to have a few hours to recuperate without worrying about having to take care of the baby.  It's also been shown to cause increase mortality from babies being dropped or smothered by exhausted mothers.  Also, OBs attend most low risk births in the US because while there are excellent CNMs that attend hospital or birth center births, as we have seen from the Duggars there are lay midwives and CPMs that practice terrible obstetrical care.  I'm in the medical field.  A birth can go terribly wrong.  Both in an instant or over the matter of hours.  It can happen even to low risk births.  I was high risk and would have been made to deliver in a hospital with an OB even in Grand Old England but my much younger sister was low risk but during delivery both she and the baby had life threatening complications and my nephew nearly died twice but was resuscitated by the team attending the birth.  I'm forever grateful that despite her crunchy lean not having a hospital birth was never her plan. 

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Millennial here. We didn't have one and we aren't close with anyone who did.

Yes! Someone from my generation who feels the same way I do! We had our daughter two years ago and didn't do any gender reveal party. EVAH. We posted her snogram (4d) and told everyone "It's a girl!" via FB. That was it. In contrast, I know another girl (I won't talk to her anymore, cause she annoys me so much, for a host of unrelated issues) who threw a gender reveal. However, said individual is all about herself and getting attention as much as possible, so its not really a shocker. 

It's def. not a fundie thing (as in people of different religions do this), but I find it annoying when people do the gender reveal and then a baby shower. It feels like an excuse to throw parties. I guess its fine, they just aren't the type of parties I enjoy. 

42 minutes ago, SorenaJ said:

I did? For real? Sorry mate. 

I suppose. A pastime in lots of Europe is making fun of Americans and being anti-American, which might not work out with actual Americans.  

Just a FYI - It's not just an American thing. Most people would likely get pissed off when confronted with sweeping generalizations or judgements about their country. For an example, please see the recent thread drift from our Canadian friends regarding stereotypes about them and their country.

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Just a FYI - It's not just an American thing. Most people would likely get pissed off when confronted with sweeping generalizations or judgements about their country. For an example, please see the recent thread drift from our Canadian friends regarding stereotypes about them and their country.

Hence "which might not work out with actual Americans" 

One thing I don't get about gender reveal parties, are those supposed to be a separate entity from a baby shower? I've never known anyone that had them, the closest I got was my best friend left me a blue balloon tied to my mailbox after she had her ultrasound, and that was fun just because she was the first of my friend group to get pregnant. 

26 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

One thing I don't get about gender reveal parties, are those supposed to be a separate entity from a baby shower? 

Maybe not always, but I believe that's common with many people. Because once you know what the gender is, you can shop accordingly. 

• samurai_sarah locked, unlocked and locked this topic

Archived